PDA

View Full Version : eMac Intel

eXan
Mar 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
Do you think Apple will release this rumored 19inch widscreen CRT eMac with intel processor?

I think it might be pretty cool, but it's not likely

What about you?

bousozoku
Mar 28, 2006, 04:55 AM
The current Mac mini fits into education much better. A school can get a great discount on monitors and put more money into RAM.

eXan
Mar 28, 2006, 05:00 AM
But eMac would save a lot of desktop space, because it also has built-in speaker, not to mention the display :o

hvfsl
Mar 28, 2006, 05:08 AM
I think they will, although they might switch to using a 15inch LCD display. Since the prices have come down quite a bit recently and will probably save a lot of money on shipping costs due to the reduced weight.

I also would be supprised to see it with an AMD cpu because they are a lot cheaper. There have been some photos floating around the net of prototype Macs with AMD cpus.

http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/Turion_X2_Apple.jpg

gekko513
Mar 28, 2006, 05:17 AM
Where's the rumour?

zap2
Mar 28, 2006, 05:45 AM
Hoping for an all new design, based on a 15'' LCD, as the eMac needs it. And the eMac would be a much better deal then a Mac Mini, if they made one 899 model with the base Mac Mini's specs.

I doubt an 19'' CRT adn 19'' would start to make it look better then the iMac 17''

howesey
Mar 28, 2006, 05:48 AM
I think they will, although they might switch to using a 15inch LCD display. Since the prices have come down quite a bit recently and will probably save a lot of money on shipping costs due to the reduced weight.

I also would be supprised to see it with an AMD cpu because they are a lot cheaper. There have been some photos floating around the net of prototype Macs with AMD cpus.

http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/Turion_X2_Apple.jpg
15" is illegal in the UK because of H&S laws to be used at work or education. 15" is out of the question.

CoMpX
Mar 28, 2006, 05:50 AM
15" is illegal in the UK because of H&S laws to be used at work or education. 15" is out of the question.

A screen size is illegal?

miloblithe
Mar 28, 2006, 05:53 AM
And is the UK market enough to force Apple's hand?

generik
Mar 28, 2006, 06:02 AM
I look forward to 15" budget eMacs :)

yippy
Mar 28, 2006, 06:06 AM
Is there even such a thing as a 19" widescreen CRT?

I doubt Apple would change the eMac that much if they even continue to sell it.

That said the all-in-one design is much better for education than a mini would be so they might keep it around.

miloblithe
Mar 28, 2006, 06:19 AM
We are talking about a macorsumors rumor here, meaning that this rumor is not based on anything.

Caitlyn
Mar 28, 2006, 03:34 PM
I don't think this will happen because the eMac is too much competition for the Mini. Now they have a prosumer, mid-stream, and lower-stream desktop setup and I think it suits them well.

rockthecasbah
Mar 28, 2006, 03:42 PM
nah, not happening. As it appears, Apple is trying to slowly phase out the eMac, replacing them in many Apple Stores in the education/kiddie center with iMacs. They're ugly, big, and create unnecessary competition for the Mac Mini, a far more attractive product. With that in mind, i think Apple may decide to make a cheaper, and smaller, screen that they can sell separately that is Apple-branded relative to the Mac Mini price points.

Intel would be nice, but i see this product just dying through the transition. :o

dr_lha
Mar 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
A screen size is illegal?
Its illegal to make a school kid or office worker use a 15" display due to problems of eye strain, etc. 15" displays I guess are considered to small to be really useable.

15" Displays themselves are not illegal or course!

sam10685
Mar 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
i doubt it... they alread dis-continued the G4 emac a while ago so i don't see them bringing it back. maybe a whole new all-in-one design budget computer though.:confused: :confused:

GilGrissom
Mar 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've never heard that.

The schools I work for continue to be supplied with 15" screens, the rest are 14" and 17", but almost all our laptops and LCDs are 15". No one has told us that it's illegal (and the council supply us with the screens aswell).

Is there some detail in it?...doesn't include LCDs or something? (still think may have 15" CRTs somewhere though...maybe...)

dr_lha
Mar 28, 2006, 07:07 PM
I've never heard that.

The schools I work for continue to be supplied with 15" screens, the rest are 14" and 17", but almost all our laptops and LCDs are 15". No one has told us that it's illegal (and the council supply us with the screens aswell).
Laptop rules would be different I'd assume?

zap2
Mar 28, 2006, 07:11 PM
Its illegal to make a school kid or office worker use a 15" display due to problems of eye strain, etc. 15" displays I guess are considered to small to be really useable.

15" Displays themselves are not illegal or course!
but if they can use it on a ,laptop why would using it as a desktop be anydifferent? That would be a dumb law, as my 12'' iBook is fine for everyday work

TEG
Mar 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
i doubt it... they alread dis-continued the G4 emac a while ago so i don't see them bringing it back. maybe a whole new all-in-one design budget computer though.:confused: :confused:

They discontinued the sale of the eMac to the general consumer. The eMac is still available to Schools/Universities. I think if anything, the new eMac will look a bit less like an iMac (G3) and more like an iMac (G5/Intel), however still sporting a CRT as they are much cheaper. I expect a 1.67 DC in an eMac just in time for the traditional School Shopping Season in July-August.

TEG

MacRumoron
Mar 28, 2006, 07:36 PM
The current Mac mini fits into education much better. A school can get a great discount on monitors and put more money into RAM.

ya but the mac mini would probably be really easy to steal.. :eek:

mkrishnan
Mar 28, 2006, 07:44 PM
but if they can use it on a ,laptop why would using it as a desktop be anydifferent? That would be a dumb law, as my 12'' iBook is fine for everyday work

Yeah... I have to call this one. A law where? In what jurisdiction? Can anyone provide a link? I find this highly doubtful. I tried googling this and didn't find anything in support of the previous claim....

celebrian23
Mar 28, 2006, 07:44 PM
I think schools are better off using PPC for a while until intel is running smoothly. Schools don't really need intel. At this point it probably just has some annoying quirks that might be great for an individual but would be a hassle for a school.

dr_lha
Mar 28, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah... I have to call this one. A law where? In what jurisdiction? Can anyone provide a link? I find this highly doubtful. I tried googling this and didn't find anything in support of the previous claim....
We're talking about in the UK.

Enviromental Health and Safety at work are taken very seriously there, unlike in the USA. Monitors cannot be too small, I also imagine that it would not be legal for someone to have a laptop as their main work computer all day.

Information on this is not usually on the web as Environmental H&S rules are usually published in books. However the UK H&E agency has a website here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

That might have the information on it.

mkrishnan
Mar 28, 2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks for clarifying... I wasn't clear where, since you don't have a location listed for yourself, and I don't know you.

dr_lha
Mar 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for clarifying... I wasn't clear where, since you don't have a location listed for yourself, and I don't know you.
Sorry! The original person has their location listed as the UK. I am not in the UK right now so that wouldn't have helped.

However I did work for a University in the UK, and witnessed the Health and Safety Nazis (sorry "Officers") at work first hand, basically telling people to go home because their work environments were not up to standard.

That said it could be used to your advantage, for example my chair was kind of old, and I was told that there was no money to get me a new one. I used the magic words "health and safety" and the University happily paid for a new one. ;)

zap2
Mar 28, 2006, 08:16 PM

Not really, a Mac Mini Core Solo-599+Screen, KeyBoard Mouse, is 200, so that 799, which Apple could do for the eMac, with cool apple looks, and no one could steal an eMac:rolleyes:

dmw007
Mar 28, 2006, 09:53 PM
No, not gonna happen.

eMac R.I.P. :o

GilGrissom
Mar 29, 2006, 01:49 AM

Enviromental Health and Safety at work are taken very seriously there, unlike in the USA. Monitors cannot be too small, I also imagine that it would not be legal for someone to have a laptop as their main work computer all day.

Information on this is not usually on the web as Environmental H&S rules are usually published in books. However the UK H&E agency has a website here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

That might have the information on it.
Still confused by this.

We have desktop and laptop screens (so both CRT and LCD) from 14" and 15", no one has ever told us we're in the wrong. Granted theres more LCDs at 15" now, but the majority of our old monitors are 14", smaller!

Also my uni has 15" CRTs & LCDs everywhere.

RM, the leading IT supplier for schools in the UK sells 15" monitors etc, why would they do this when it's illegal? (Not saying you're wrong...just still confused by the lack of experience and word of this at work)

Is this just for people working at home for certain organisations?? So they have to cover their backs as they're not in the office etc, so they have to be strict at home?

Anyhoo, to the point in hand...

Not really, a Mac Mini Core Solo-599+Screen, KeyBoard Mouse, is 200, so that 799, which Apple could do for the eMac, with cool apple looks, and no one could steal an eMac:rolleyes:
I have to agree with you on this one. I think Apple would be missing a huge market if they got rid of the eMac. It's just too expensive to get iMacs and still too expensive really to kit out Mac minis cost effectively, being as a lot of schools still use at least a PS/2 keyboard & mouse (thought mice seem to be going USB as standard quicker than keyboards!) USB keyboards aren't the cheapness they should be to make the Mac mini a real good alternative.

Maybe a stripped down smaller iMac??...neh, still too expensive...

eXan
Mar 29, 2006, 03:44 AM
I too find it odd.

What exactly do you find odd?

combatcolin
Mar 29, 2006, 04:09 AM
The 15" monitor regulation.

Never heard of it beofer, but as i do not work in education thats to be expected.

AS a 15" TFT is equal to a 17" CRT i would not consider these to be small or likly to induce eye strain either.

andrew050703
Mar 29, 2006, 04:22 AM
As far as I can remember, we're still governed by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA74), no leglislation has replaced it yet. At the time, i think a 15" screen was like the equivalent of a 30" cinema display, so i doubt 15" screens are illegal in work/schools (especially as most schools/unis/workplaces still have 15" as the mainstream.

maxeythecat
Apr 16, 2006, 04:23 AM
nah, not happening. As it appears, Apple is trying to slowly phase out the eMac, replacing them in many Apple Stores in the education/kiddie center with iMacs. They're ugly, big, and create unnecessary competition for the Mac Mini, a far more attractive product. With that in mind, i think Apple may decide to make a cheaper, and smaller, screen that they can sell separately that is Apple-branded relative to the Mac Mini price points.

Intel would be nice, but i see this product just dying through the transition. :o

Dying unnecessarily, I might add. Sorry but I happen to think Apple made a serious error when they decided to phase these babies out. eMacs are rock solid, nice to look at and the best overall bargain that the company's ever released. C'MAAAN! How the hell can Apple call the Mini any sort of "bargain" when by the time you buy a keyboard, mouse and monitor for the bloody thing you're paying about as much as you would for an Imac? That's just stupid and decidedly no bargain for the educational field! We all know that computers can really take a beating when used in a school .....do you really think that a Mini would last more than one semester in a classroom environment? Let's get real, here......anything less sturdy than an eMac is bound to get trashed before the academic year's halfway finished. Of COURSE the eMac's "unneccessary competition" when pitted against the Mini.....it's a much better deal than the former, but unfortunately it's not as much of a cash cow for the company, hence the retirement. Sad.......very very sad.

GilGrissom
Apr 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
Dying unnecessarily, I might add. Sorry but I happen to think Apple made a serious error when they decided to phase these babies out. eMacs are rock solid, nice to look at and the best overall bargain that the company's ever released. C'MAAAN! How the hell can Apple call the Mini any sort of "bargain" when by the time you buy a keyboard, mouse and monitor for the bloody thing you're paying about as much as you would for an Imac? That's just stupid and decidedly no bargain for the educational field! We all know that computers can really take a beating when used in a school .....do you really think that a Mini would last more than one semester in a classroom environment? Let's get real, here......anything less sturdy than an eMac is bound to get trashed before the academic year's halfway finished. Of COURSE the eMac's "unneccessary competition" when pitted against the Mini.....it's a much better deal than the former, but unfortunately it's not as much of a cash cow for the company, hence the retirement. Sad.......very very sad.
I agree with you there.

Working for schools as their IT guy I know what happens to machines. I've just spent my Easter Holiday in one of the schools rebuilding and patching my computer room back together again ready for the final summer term!

I'd love eMacs in the school and are currently thinking about getting some if I can get them cheap enough. They really are rock solid, and performance wise they never cease to amaze me either. Like most Macs even if you throw the world at them they will at least give it an honset try and usually do you proud. My friend has an eMac and constantly trashes it through its paces and is always amazed at how it never seems to wine or moan about it, ye it may stutter or take a quick breather, but never gives up! In terms of their sturdiness in the classroom the weakest points are its CD drive and peripherals, but thats true of any machine. The weight and size can be an issue (and a safety issue) but at the same time adds to its sturdiness and rock-solid state, just make sure they won't fall off the end of a table and onto a pupil's foot!

I really hope the eMac doesn't die a permanent death. Even if Apple just plod it along slowly and don't take much notice with it...I think it really is a nice machine. Just slap an Intel chip in there, nothing else...don't spend any R&D on it unless you do have big plans for it (if so, GREAT!) but at the very least just get it back on the shelves and let people buy it, that will keep it going!

Alas, I guess its not to be. iMacs for those with money it is then...dam shame...
But Apple are still seen as a luxoury brand and have prices to reflect that, we don't want them going downhill and shabby just to justify costs. We live in hope!

(Talking about this now has got me even more determined to get some cheap eMacs for my school now! :) )

jefhatfield
Apr 16, 2006, 11:02 AM
while i currently don't have any crt monitor computers i am using, isn't the crt very durable and good for very small school kids

an lcd is a very delicate thing and i can imagine what small kids would do to them

GilGrissom
Apr 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
while i currently don't have any crt monitor computers i am using, isn't the crt very durable and good for very small school kids

an lcd is a very delicate thing and i can imagine what small kids would do to them
LCDs are more delicate, but you can easily get ones with glass or plastic layers infront of them, so they actually have the same strength as CRTs, but are flat (both on surface and thickness). These types of screens are widely available for education institutions, unfortunately as an extra option at a cost on most manufactureres machines, but at least it's there. Apple could easily use these, but costs again would be an issue. Maybe sticking with CRT for these machines isn't so bad...ensures a low price and makes the machines different from the other ranges.

You may think CRTs should be pretty much phased out now and any school (or anyone really) buying them with new machines is wasting there money, but they still do have a place. Obviously there is the cost issue, but there is also the practical security aspect.

We brought a whole load of 17" CRTs for some of our computers which power interactive whiteboads in one of my schools, they were HUGE! Very deep. Why?...they're dam hard to steal! Proven when we had some break ins and they couldn't take the moniters! I was very happy with that decision at the end of the day! So I'm more than happy at buying CRT equiped machines still, but thats just me!

disconap
Apr 16, 2006, 05:32 PM
And is the UK market enough to force Apple's hand?

I doubt it, as the G4 was originally not legal for export from the US (as it was classed a supercomputer), yet it was released anyway. Unless I'm totally off on that, the UK might have been exempt...

mkrishnan
Apr 16, 2006, 05:38 PM
LCDs are more delicate, but you can easily get ones with glass or plastic layers infront of them, so they actually have the same strength as CRTs, but are flat (both on surface and thickness).

When I first saw the iMac G5, I thought the screen was made this way. I think it would look much better if it was a sheet of plastic all the way across the front, extending over the screen...although it'd need an anti-glare coating. :(

jefhatfield
Apr 16, 2006, 05:39 PM
We brought a whole load of 17" CRTs for some of our computers which power interactive whiteboads in one of my schools, they were HUGE! Very deep. Why?...they're dam hard to steal! Proven when we had some break ins and they couldn't take the moniters! I was very happy with that decision at the end of the day! So I'm more than happy at buying CRT equiped machines still, but thats just me!

i guess the weight of the crt's makes sense against theft...plus, who would ever want to buy one these days ;)

GilGrissom
Apr 16, 2006, 05:49 PM
i guess the weight of the crt's makes sense against theft...plus, who would ever want to buy one these days ;)
Indeed!
When I first saw the iMac G5, I thought the screen was made this way. I think it would look much better if it was a sheet of plastic all the way across the front, extending over the screen...although it'd need an anti-glare coating. :(
Ye there is certainly a design aspect to the iMac G5/Core Duo which does allow for a plastic/glass protective layer over it with the screen slightly (about 5mm?) indented in from being flush to the surface. Maybe Apple should/will add it as an option to later revisions to further boost their durability, it's an interesting point.

My friend keeps arguing how Apple should release a "business Mac" or (bMac or something I guess!! hehe!) and how it should be an iMac with everything stripped out. It's not the Mac mini as it still needs to be all in one, but with all the fancies of the iMac taken out. Seems to me that such a machine could also cater for education. But while I don't entirely agree with him he has a point. Apple is slightly more consumer than business, but I feel educational institutions could be the missing link to get to business, as ofcourse eMacs could be sold to students and families for kids use at home, not just in schools etc.

ryannel2003
Apr 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
I can only wish that Apple would come out with a 15" LCD eMac Core Solo or Duo. While the new Mac mini is great, they can become quite expensive when you add keyboard, mouse, and display. I personally love the design of the eMac I have; however they would need to replace it since the design is 4yrs old on April 29th. However, I would expect Apple to introduce a 15" iMac with 1.66GHz Core Duo, 80GB HD, Combo Drive, Intel GMA 950 shared graphics and sell it for $999 before they re-introduced the eMac to the public with Intel processors.

Jaffa Cake
Apr 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
I doubt it, as the G4 was originally not legal for export from the US (as it was classed a supercomputer), yet it was released anyway. Unless I'm totally off on that, the UK might have been exempt...It was only illegal to export the G4 based Power Mac (and one would assume other G4 and G5 based Macs) to certain 'sensitive' nations – places like Iraq, Cuba and North Korea. Apple was fine to export them to most places though – and as the US (currently) likes us Brits there's no restriction on us getting our hands on them. :)

Actually, I seem to remember them playing on this point in advertising when the Power Mac G4 was first released – showing it surrounded in barbed wire and guarded by tanks and the like...

bigandy
Apr 16, 2006, 06:41 PM

what? in the uk, a base edu mini costs 404.20 (US$708), and a 20" ACD is 455.90 (US$798.55).

and, you can get an eMac for 420. somehow, i doubt the mac mini represents better value - as, unlike the eMac you don't get a keyboard or mouse either.

ih8pc
Apr 16, 2006, 10:37 PM
the emac is ok but i really think thay should put lcds bcuz' the crt gives you a headache due to the fact that the scanning makes your eyes even worse. I think they should just keep PowerPC for emac. You don't need front row in a school mac.

generik
Apr 16, 2006, 11:56 PM
But eMac would save a lot of desktop space, because it also has built-in speaker, not to mention the display :o

All the macs in our labs run with the speakers muted :)

Wellander
Apr 17, 2006, 01:57 AM
Hi,
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=188844
This has been talked about here.

maxeythecat
Apr 18, 2006, 06:25 AM
I think they should just keep PowerPC for emac. You don't need front row in a school mac.

Sad to say that wouldn't work 'cos if the Intel conversion moves forward the way I think it will, PowerPCs will become obselete. Works out great for Windows....they don't have to worry anymore about issuing software versions for Macs, hence the incentive to produce anything Mac friendly will no longer be there, but not so hot for any of us who stand by our non-Intel machines. Let's face it, the lot of us are gonna have to convert eventually......I just don't see why we have get saddled with the "bargain priced" Mini which ain't the bargain it's purported to be. Yeah, some bargain....$600.00 for the lowest priced unit, another $300.00 at the very least for a monitor, another $50.00 for a keyboard and mouse....uh, Imac anyone?? Yeah, keep telling us what a deal we're getting, ya momos.

dmcxii
Apr 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
I know that this would be a tough sell, but think about it.

Apple could sell kits to schools with a 10 week curriculum that allows the kids to build, test, modify, improve a basic computer (eMac). Unfortunately this would take away from Apple's sleek lines and replace it with an unimpressive box

If the price points were fair, a school would only have to buy monitors and keyboards and allow for the kids to buy the machines at the end of the term (renewable program)

Think what a kid could take away with this experience. Internal components of a machine, three major operating systems (OS X, XP, *nix), some networking skills (if the curriculum allowed it), and the possibility to walk away with a machine at the end of the class.

I know.... don't blast me on things like warranties, AppleCare, stability of a machine that was built by someone who may or may not know what they are doing. I still look at it as an untapped market.

Just my 2cents

GilGrissom
Apr 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
I know that this would be a tough sell, but think about it.

Apple could sell kits to schools with a 10 week curriculum that allows the kids to build, test, modify, improve a basic computer (eMac). Unfortunately this would take away from Apple's sleek lines and replace it with an unimpressive box

If the price points were fair, a school would only have to buy monitors and keyboards and allow for the kids to buy the machines at the end of the term (renewable program)

Think what a kid could take away with this experience. Internal components of a machine, three major operating systems (OS X, XP, *nix), some networking skills (if the curriculum allowed it), and the possibility to walk away with a machine at the end of the class.

I know.... don't blast me on things like warranties, AppleCare, stability of a machine that was built by someone who may or may not know what they are doing. I still look at it as an untapped market.

Just my 2cents
It's an interesting point. Maybe some institutions will do that on their own without Apple doing it officially.

The problem is that the eMac isn't exactly a suitable model to take apart and redo etc. If you look inside one it's quite a complex design underneath (the way it fits around the CRT and all the sheilding inside etc) compared to other more easy box PCs. It could be an interesting challenge though for those who would not get confused with learning on it and then going to other more mass market machines.

combatcolin
Apr 18, 2006, 01:47 PM
How well was the eMac selling before it was EOL?

If it was making money....

...and it still looks better than all the endless bland models lined up at PC World.

milo
Apr 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
ya but the mac mini would probably be really easy to steal.. :eek:

The mini has a place where you can attach a lock or chain. It's just as steal-proof as any other computer.

I'm skeptical about the 15 inch law. Isn't eye strain a function of screen RESOLUTION, not screen size? You can set any CRT so the fonts are really big if you're worried about eye strain. With many LCD's, eye strain is *worse* with bigger monitors because the pixels are smaller.

Anonymous Freak
Apr 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
Do you think Apple will release this rumored 19inch widscreen CRT eMac with intel processor?

I think it might be pretty cool, but it's not likely

What about you?

Sorry, but not a chance. I have a feeling the eMac will limp along for the better part of a year; with, at most, a processor speed increase. They kept the original G3 iMac around for a long time as the 'educational' model after the G4 iMac was introduced, simply because it was cheap.

Apple won't significantly improve the eMac simply because it's meant to the be ultra-cheap, all-in-one computer for schools. (Computers with fewer cords are a VERY good idea for schools, as are, unfortunately, CRTs.)

While I doubt it will happen, if educational institutions throw enough of a stink, they MIGHT upgrade it to an Intel Core Solo (with the same basic guts as the Solo Mini;) but I doubt we'll even see a Core Duo model.

harlock59
Nov 12, 2007, 12:43 AM
I really hope that they are going to release this eMac Intel !!!!!!
I am a real fan of the eMacs, i personnally own an eMac G4 1,25 USB 2.0, And I am really looking forward to buying an eMac 1,42 gigahertzs !!!!!!

dukebound85
Nov 12, 2007, 01:25 AM
I really hope that they are going to release this eMac Intel !!!!!!
I am a real fan of the eMacs, i personnally own an eMac G4 1,25 USB 2.0, And I am really looking forward to buying an eMac 1,42 gigahertzs !!!!!!

wow thanks for reviving this haha

penguinpaul
Nov 14, 2007, 08:05 AM
nah, they won't make another model with a crt - theyre big and heavy, and instead of making an emac they offer a discount on other macs. I'd love it though if they did, just like I love the old G3 iMacs.