PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook/iBook 45 Watt AC problems

MacEffects
Mar 28, 2006, 06:02 AM
I have used 4 AC's since I bought my PowerBook and they always seem to be weak at the end connector and end up almost catching fire after I neglect to buy a new one when I see it is on its last leg (now its just sparks but I am cheap) and I don't know what I can do, the fourth one just died, and I have no notebook now, so I am in real trouble, is this a common thing? Has anyone else had this problem?

TLRedhawke
Mar 28, 2006, 10:15 AM
The most common culprit for breaking the adaptors near the computer end is stress, plain and simple. If it's forced to bend at very sharp angles, or is wound very tightly around the adaptor, this can happen quite easily. I've never seen it cause sparks, but rather, just fail.

MacEffects
Mar 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
The most common culprit for breaking the adaptors near the computer end is stress, plain and simple. If it's forced to bend at very sharp angles, or is wound very tightly around the adaptor, this can happen quite easily. I've never seen it cause sparks, but rather, just fail.
Yes, I suppose that is what it was I never thought about it. And I saw it was getting lose, and wire was begging to show from the connector, but I suppose I was to lazy/cheap to fix it. Therefore neglecting to fix it would cause it to get worse it would cross connect and spark and die, but being that my PowerBook batter is almost dead and I use it almost all day for many tasks, I think the long use of AC at longer distances from the wall would definitely be the problem.

But thanks for the help.