Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
California
Apple.com has reverted to their page right after MacWorld 2003. I believe that they did this because the picture of the 20" display has a Space Shuttle on it, and some may find this offensive. I find it very ironic that Apple had the image of the Space Shuttle on the screen on that date of release as well, because it was on that date 17 years ago that another Space Shuttle exploded. Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure since it does involve Apples.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
the space shuttle columbia disintegrated on re-entry today.

i believe that is why apple removed the front page.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Yes, the Apple page did have a monitor with a picture of the Shuttle taking off. And January 28 was the Challenger anniversary, so maybe not a good choice.

Anyway, right thing to do to remove the moitor picture.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by iAlan
Yes, the Apple page did have a monitor with a picture of the Shuttle taking off. And January 28 was the Challenger anniversary, so maybe not a good choice.

Yeah, exactly. I thought it was bad taste (although I am sure not intentional) to use the picture on January 28th in the first place. I mean, its not like they were limited in the their optinion of photos to how off the widescreen...just imagine the new bridge in Boston or something.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
it dont matter really, the fact is that apple actually did something about it before too many people complained. they didnt wait for a lawsuit.

good on ya apple.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Hmmm.. I didn't know about the shuttle.

Apple Australia has always had a photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In fact, most of the worldwide sites have it! a handful (Korea, Japan, Hong Kong) have the shuttle.. and about 4-5 have the old powerbooks homepage.

The US site is the only one featuring the greenery

voicegy

macrumors 65816
It always amazes me the taste and thoughtfulness that goes into the Apple front page. I was so impressed that on the day of Carter's being awarded the Nobel Prize, he was honored with a couple of Think Different posters on the front page for the next two days.

Out of respect, of course, comes the decision to replace the shuttle picture on their page today. I doubt if they were afraid of lawsuits and bad press. I mean, like I'm going to sue Apple for putting a picture of the shuttle on their front page because I am suffering from emotional distress over today's tragic events? It just shows once again how much heart there is behind the Aluminum.

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
Just use the Korea page and photoshop if you want the old page back...sorry, I'm just bored

Attachments

• picture 4.jpg
    picture 4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 321

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by iAlan

That was the point. They were honoring the memory of those that died in the Challenger explosion. It wasn't coincidence, it was intentional, and a very good choice. Sadly, we will have to remember another brave group.

Regards,
Gus

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Ok, this is something that I don't understand. Why would it be offensive to anyone? Would it not honor the people that died, and their work?

Its not that they wouldn't be honoring it - but there are always individuals who would see it as tacky or just plain wrong. By avoiding the issue altogether, removing the controversy, they manage to handle it without causing unecessary stupidity. You can be assured that someone would take offense.

And since it doesn't say 'In honor of...' it is a little ambiguous. I do think it might have been better just to come out and honor the astronauts anyway, though.

D

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by JonD
I can't believe anybody noticed that. I mean that cool, but wow.

Haha, yeah. I had just turned on the news and gone to apple.com and on the news they were like "And today is the 17th anniversery of the Space Shuttle exploding..." and i just put 2 and 2 together and found it odd...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by losfp
Hmmm.. I didn't know about the shuttle.

Apple Australia has always had a photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In fact, most of the worldwide sites have it! a handful (Korea, Japan, Hong Kong) have the shuttle.. and about 4-5 have the old powerbooks homepage.

The US site is the only one featuring the greenery

Actually, the New Zealand one's got the greenery too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.