Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this a good idea?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No!

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
(Pardon me for this idea, but I got bored and went to Spymac)

Alright, so if you go to Spymac or if you're a member - you know (maybe not), that they have something called the The Longest Thread Ever.

This thread serves one purpose, to be the collecting plate for all "Miscellaneous" posts. This would be a good thing for community discussion to prevent really really pointless threads from coming up in there, and make it threads that are just for a discussion.

Anyways, just finished some HW kinda wired/tired so forgive me if this is a really dumb idea.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I agree this thread would prevent pointless threads but I personally can't stand reading through all the pages on a really long thread...also from the way it looks on spymac, it looks like an easy way to rack up your post count and it looks like the wastland all in one thread.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I just felt like contributing the idea - I doubt arn, Doctor Q, or mudbug would like the idea very much, but it doesn't hurt to try.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
ipacmm said:
I agree this thread would prevent pointless threads but I personally can't stand reading through all the pages on a really long thread...

This is true, I don't overly enjoy reading through all of the pages on a super long thread either.

ipacmm said:
also from the way it looks on spymac, it looks like an easy way to rack up your post count

Which would probably just allow for further useless posts.

ipacmm said:
and it looks like the wastland all in one thread.

LOL :D it most certainly does. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
amacgenius said:
I just felt like contributing the idea - I doubt arn, Doctor Q, or mudbug would like the idea very much, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Suggestions and new ideas are no doubt always welcome.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
dmw007 said:
This is true, I don't overly enjoy reading through all of the pages on a super long thread either.
That's why you don't do it.
On another forum I not-so-frequently frequent, there is a thread just like this. Last time I checked, it was over 700 pages, at 25 posts per page, and that was several months ago. It's fairly self-policing too, although I'm sure that's because of the comparatively small membership, and the higher-than-average maturity of the members. If this did show up at MacRumors, I'm sure that, at least in the beginning, there would be some teething problems with regards to spam.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
ipacmm said:
I agree this thread would prevent pointless threads but I personally can't stand reading through all the pages on a really long thread...also from the way it looks on spymac, it looks like an easy way to rack up your post count and it looks like the wastland all in one thread.

It also KILLS the database server on many platforms, the table for it gets HUGE and it chokes.

Applespider

macrumors G4
amacgenius said:
This thread serves one purpose, to be the collecting plate for all "Miscellaneous" posts. This would be a good thing for community discussion to prevent really really pointless threads from coming up in there, and make it threads that are just for a discussion.

The Community forum serves that purpose. Threads which are random venting or comments quickly die and disappear from the front page while those that encourage discussion stay on the front page and grow.

Why you'd want random posts in a single thread that could mean anything from months before suddenly being replied to in the midst of a entirely different discussion defies logic. At least if a thread is revived now, it's easy enough to catch up on the original discussion.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Yes, it would prevent pointless threads, but as said, I can't stand reading through hundreds of pointless posts! :p I'd rather just read the pointless threads. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.