PDA

View Full Version : iBook won't go to sleep on its own

luminosity
Mar 29, 2006, 12:10 AM
My iBook (12 inch, two months old) has suddenly stopped going to sleep on its own when it reaches the set inactivity time point. it goes to sleep if i close the iBook itself, but not if i just let it go. the display goes to sleep, but the system itself does not.

any suggestions?

Edit: I think I may have spotted something amiss: the temperature seems stuck at 113, and that makes me suspect there's a program running in the background somewhere, even though everything seems closed down. also: this is only on battery, so something really seems odd. same results for the adapter, but it seems odd to have this much heat with no visible programs running while on battery.

mad jew
Mar 29, 2006, 01:08 AM
Have you looked through Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder for any rogue apps that may be running? Make sure you opt to look at All Processes, not just My Processes. :)

luminosity
Mar 29, 2006, 01:09 AM
i definitely did that, and to no avail (to my eyes, that is).

but, I think I figured out the original cause. Earlier today, I wasn't getting a network connection, even though an inspection of the router showed things to be fine (and the adjoining computer). I impulsively used airport to search for the name of the network, instead of resetting the router. predictably, searching for the name didn't work, but resetting the router did. since that time, I don't think my ibook has gone to sleep on its own. The giveaway is that normally, my connection requires a few moments after coming back from sleep to work. now, it works instantaneously after coming back from sleep.

i bet that's what's doing it, but I don't know how to change it around.