PDA

View Full Version : DVD Blacklist: Don't work in Handbrake!

princealfie
Mar 29, 2006, 12:28 PM
I have decided after being frustrated at being unable to rip particular DVD's that I ought to be blacklisting those here. I am using Handbrake exclusively so the list begins:

1) Serendepity (can't find the DVD track in Handbrake)
2) Star Wars I to III (can't find the DVD track in Handbrake)
3) Resident Evil Apocalypse
4) Mansfield Park (w/ Frances O'Connor)

Okay, I threw down the gauntlet. Feel free at add to the list here and we are going to keep a running tab of defective Handbrake DVD. I have 250 DVD's and wonder whether I can back up just only a few of them.

Note: Miramax and Sony are the worst culprits of them all. I am grateful that I can backup my Criterion collection DVD at least!

nigletsyz
Mar 29, 2006, 12:35 PM
The Devil's Rejects - The main feature track is unlisted, although the special features are there

pdpfilms
Mar 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
I can only recall ever having one problem DVD with Handbrake. ...I don't remember which DVD it was though.

But I've ripped literally hundreds of DVDs and haven't run into this problem frequently. And with Handbrake's great customer support and the developers constant level of action, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fix to this problem in the future.

princealfie
Mar 29, 2006, 01:05 PM
Actually for most of the Sony DVD's esp. recent releases, Handbrake stops working after 0.5% is encoded. Hope that the update can work better?

alywa
Mar 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
I was never able to get Toy Story 2 (new release) to rip with sound... picture would come, but no sound.

Eraserhead
Mar 29, 2006, 01:43 PM
why not use mac the ripper to get the dvd onto your computer (it saves as a video_ts folder) and then use Handbrake from there?

You can get mac the ripper from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414

princealfie
Mar 29, 2006, 01:44 PM
The problem with the mac the ripper is that it adds an additonal step to the process. And the question is why can't the handbrake identify the missing track beforehand?

Lord Blackadder
Mar 29, 2006, 02:09 PM
There is still no one-step process for DVD backup on the Mac.

Currently the best way is still to rip with Mac The Ripper -> Toast 7 for compression/burning.

blueflame
Mar 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
the forgotten

nigletsyz
Mar 29, 2006, 02:50 PM
The problem with the mac the ripper is that it adds an additonal step to the process. And the question is why can't the handbrake identify the missing track beforehand?

I use dvdbackup instead of mac the ripper, and its just much quicker to encode it using HB if its reading a video TS folder off the HD rather than reading off the DVD and encoding it. Total time to rip & encode is about 3 hrs vs encoding off the dvd which takes double that.

adk
Mar 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
most of the movies that don't work in handbrake also don't work in MTR. For example Tombstone.

princealfie
Mar 29, 2006, 03:40 PM
How can one bypass the mess up?

Thanatoast
Mar 29, 2006, 04:00 PM
Capote
Good Night & Good Luck

:(

princealfie
Mar 29, 2006, 04:03 PM
Good news is that all Criterion Collection DVD's work with Handbrake. I have quite a few. Problem is how I can own all of them!

princealfie
Mar 30, 2006, 01:02 PM
Dark Water w/ Jennifer Connolley... man can't see it!

Zoowatch
Mar 30, 2006, 01:27 PM
many recently released DVDs (2005 onwards) from Sony Classics don't work with Handbrake

princealfie
Mar 30, 2006, 01:29 PM
Ironically, Bewitched which is a Sony release does work!

mikemodena
Mar 30, 2006, 01:40 PM
I was successfully able to rip Star Wars III

princealfie
Mar 30, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yes but no old school Star Wars for the geeks out there! :(

CorvusCamenarum
Mar 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yes but no old school Star Wars for the geeks out there! :(

If you're referring to episodes 4-6, they worked just fine for me.

Nickygoat
Mar 30, 2006, 03:03 PM
I was successfully able to rip Star Wars III
Me too. I've had a couple of discs that have flashed up errors, using both MTR and Handbrake but I've never had any problems burning them or watching them off the HD. Are you going off the error report or actual playback?

BornAgainMac
Mar 30, 2006, 04:25 PM
I have seen some Macs work when other Macs fail with Handbrake. Also I have cleaned the disk or just eject it and put it in and that fixes it. Another idea is to play the movie as a DVD for a few seconds before ripping.

Several of the movies mentioned above worked for me.

zazenx
Mar 30, 2006, 05:24 PM
Fast DVD Copy (www.fastdvdcopy.com) is an all in one software that decrypts compresses and burns the dvd. You can select which bonus features you want or don't want, as other things. Most of the time I use Mac the ripper, dvd2onex, and the toast 7 to burn it.

Currently the best way is still to rip with Mac The Ripper -> Toast 7 for compression/burning.

GoCubsGo
Mar 30, 2006, 05:44 PM
Serendepity worked for me.
I had one that just wouldn't work, but I can't recall the name of it.
I use MTR and Handbrake.

princealfie
Mar 31, 2006, 08:18 AM
Indeed, there needs to be a solution to the increasing number of "defective" DVDs. Any ideas?

Melvin Furd
Mar 31, 2006, 09:48 AM
The older version of Handbrake 6.0 or the beta version of 7.0 I was able rip many of the DVDs you listed.

dops7107
Mar 31, 2006, 09:51 AM
Layer Cake (UK release). No joy with MTR, and with Handbrake it is silent. But if I start copying from chapter 2 onwards, it works fine. There's some clever encryption early on in the recording. I have searched long and hard, but no one seems to have successfully copied this title using a Mac (MTR, specifically).

princealfie
Mar 31, 2006, 10:09 AM
Also Little Black Book turns to be a dud, the one with Brittany Murphy and Holly Hunter...

sprstu
Mar 31, 2006, 10:30 AM
I use Mac the ripper and Popcorn

Initial D, the movie (real people, not anime)-popcorn wouldnt burn it correctly
Troy- MTR kept stopping half way through

Counterfit
Mar 31, 2006, 12:27 PM
I use dvdbackup instead of mac the ripper,
You must still be on Panther then. DVDBackup broke in Tiger, and is no longer supported :(

Nickygoat
Mar 31, 2006, 01:07 PM
Layer Cake (UK release). No joy with MTR, and with Handbrake it is silent. But if I start copying from chapter 2 onwards, it works fine. There's some clever encryption early on in the recording. I have searched long and hard, but no one seems to have successfully copied this title using a Mac (MTR, specifically).
After reading your post I tried it. I got it to work. Layer Cake Region 2. Using MTR 2.6.6 with OSX 10.4.5 on a dual 1.8 PM. At the end (it took a long time - more than usual) it flashed up the error message "This disc has bad sectors - check before burning" but it plays fine in Apple DVD Player. I haven't tried burning it in Toast onto a disc but I will if you want.
It doesn't seem to like VLC though.

princealfie
Mar 31, 2006, 01:30 PM
Is there a difference between the US and UK versions of Layer Cake. By the way, great movie! Daniel Craig is awesome.

sam10685
Mar 31, 2006, 02:52 PM
pulp fiction doesn't work for me.:mad:

princealfie
Mar 31, 2006, 03:54 PM
That's very sad to hear. Another Miramax film that Pulp Fiction culprit is...

huck500
Mar 31, 2006, 03:59 PM
Does anyone use OSex anymore? I use it all the time and it seems to rip anything. I'll try it with a couple of the above-mentioned titles this weekend.

TheDulcimer
Mar 31, 2006, 05:48 PM
Back when i was ripping with an older version of hb i tried ripping toy story, and toy story 2, and neither would load any chapters/features into hb, then i looked closely at the case and i saw that it had a canadian flag (i am in the united states) and it said "this is autherized for sale in canada only" so i just thought "oh well guess Santa bought this really cheap and hb can't handle canadian dvds"

Then last week i thought maybe i should try ts1 with the newer version of handbrake i had started using a few months back, and sure enough it work perfectly, i haven't tried ts2 and i saw someone on page one say that it didn't work. i'm hopping that person's was not the candian version ;)

-The Dulcimer-

Jedi128
Mar 31, 2006, 07:39 PM
Got Star Wars Ep. III to work in handbrake just fine the first time. I was using the comp in my signature. Don't know what I did differently..... was running the most current version of Tiger at the time (may have been 10.4.2 or 3 as I did this awhile back, early December I think...).

dops7107
Apr 1, 2006, 01:25 AM
After reading your post I tried it. I got it to work. Layer Cake Region 2. Using MTR 2.6.6 with OSX 10.4.5 on a dual 1.8 PM. At the end (it took a long time - more than usual) it flashed up the error message "This disc has bad sectors - check before burning" but it plays fine in Apple DVD Player. I haven't tried burning it in Toast onto a disc but I will if you want.
It doesn't seem to like VLC though.

Cool! Thanks for trying. Yes, I got the bad sectors thing, and had trouble with it in DVD player. I got options during the rip like "do you want to pad the dummy VOBs", to which I didn't know the answer. I'll have another go now (you've inspired me...) :)

EDIT: no joy, even having tried two different DVD drives. Nickygoat, did you do full disc or main feature only extraction? I did main feature only, gets 11 MB in, and then gives a load of bad sectors. I let it continue to the end, but when I try to pay in DVD player it just sits there - the timer doesn't progress and the player window doesn't resize. Sometimes DVD player crashes.

Nickygoat
Apr 1, 2006, 03:40 AM
Cool! Thanks for trying. Yes, I got the bad sectors thing, and had trouble with it in DVD player. I got options during the rip like "do you want to pad the dummy VOBs", to which I didn't know the answer. I'll have another go now (you've inspired me...) :)

EDIT: no joy, even having tried two different DVD drives. Nickygoat, did you do full disc or main feature only extraction? I did main feature only, gets 11 MB in, and then gives a load of bad sectors. I let it continue to the end, but when I try to pay in DVD player it just sits there - the timer doesn't progress and the player window doesn't resize. Sometimes DVD player crashes.
I used full disc extraction. Total file size is 6.74GB. Very strange that it works for me and not you. I'll try main feature only when I get back from Borough market.
Closer didn't work for me either, but that's the only disc I've ever had problems with.
Maybe trash the DVD player and MTR plists? That's the only thing I can think of on a Saturday morning :D

dops7107
Apr 1, 2006, 03:47 AM
I used full disc extraction. Total file size is 6.74GB. Very strange that it works for me and not you. I'll try main feature only when I get back from Borough market.
Closer didn't work for me either, but that's the only disc I've ever had problems with.
Maybe trash the DVD player and MTR plists? That's the only thing I can think of on a Saturday morning :D

... or so it would appear, ten minutes in. I did a full disc extraction, and still get the bad sectors, but it seems fine now. I'll try a shrink n' burn and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

princealfie
Apr 1, 2006, 01:29 PM
I tried Serendepity dvd again this morning with Handbrake Lite and it still doesn't work. Track 1 doesn't appear what so ever. Frustrating, as that is one of my favorite all time movies. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

HiRez
Apr 1, 2006, 03:30 PM
I can confirm that Star Wars III (Return of the Sith) works perfectly in Handbrake. Are you sure you're using the latest version? Try different settings (H.264 vs. MPEG-4, etc.).

princealfie
Apr 2, 2006, 12:05 AM
Right now I am ripping the 6 hour BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Woohoo! No more 6 VHS tapes anymore.

princealfie
Apr 3, 2006, 08:21 AM
Part Two of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice doesn't fully work in Handbrake Lite. Redo in full version!

milo
Apr 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
Indeed, there needs to be a solution to the increasing number of "defective" DVDs. Any ideas?

The reason it is getting worse is because studios are hacking the disks with more copy protection to try to stop people from ripping.

There are newer (beta) versions of most ripper apps in the works that are able to rip some of these newer disks. They'll probably have to update continually to keep up with the new dvd's.

princealfie
Apr 3, 2006, 04:04 PM
Time to get the new handbrake eh?

princealfie
Apr 4, 2006, 08:37 AM
Actually the new version of Handbrake is awesome. It identifies the 1st track of Serendepity at least. Now hopefully it will work!

princealfie
Apr 5, 2006, 11:15 AM
finally got the second part of P and P BBC DVD onto the drive... I had to try like 6 times in Handbrake Lite!:eek:

MacTruck
Apr 5, 2006, 02:07 PM
Ok here is my list of non ripable DVDs in handbrake:

- Anchor man
- Chicken little
- National Treasure

The list is long long long. I'd say 50% won't work that I rent. I can't remember them because I obviously don't have them because it wouldn't rip but I can remember tons of them not working.

princealfie
Apr 6, 2006, 09:01 AM
Found out that the latest version of :cool: Handbrake will rip DVD's that the old version can't do!

princealfie
Apr 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
After converting Serendepity into an avi file I managed to get it into mp4 using isquint finally... how tedious but 8 times it was well worth it... one of my favorite romatnic comedies.:cool:

dops7107
Apr 7, 2006, 01:10 AM
Is it fair to assume that discs that won't rip with Handbrake won't rip with MTR, and vice versa? I figure that if someone has a problem with one program, they'll try the other.

princealfie
Apr 7, 2006, 02:31 PM
I found that ffmpeg is a much better standard than xdiv one :)

JW008
Apr 8, 2006, 01:57 AM
I got Pulp Fiction to work---has anyone else had any luck?

princealfie
Apr 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
In Search of the Trojan War 2 discs aren't recognized by the earlier version of Handbrake. Will try the latter version now.:eek:

amholl
Apr 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
The Godfather holds at 100 percent forever and will not say done. I know that usually they do for a cpl mins, but this one did overnight, so I extracted it and am trying it that way.

thejakill
Apr 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
pulp fiction doesn't work for me.:mad:

same for me. i've tried two different versions.

princealfie
Apr 11, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah, of course I'm unsure about the anniversary of the Godfather as well. I managed to get it working using the older version of Handbrake into avi however :rolleyes:

JW008
Apr 11, 2006, 12:59 AM
I don't know if anyone cares, buy I finally got Pulp Fiction to work. I didn 't do anything special. I downloaded the new handbrake and used the special edition version of the movie.

obeygiant
Apr 11, 2006, 03:35 AM
1) Serendepity (can't find the DVD track in Handbrake)
2) Star Wars I to III (can't find the DVD track in Handbrake)

i have been successful with those titles

shadowmoses
Apr 11, 2006, 03:59 AM
The new Guy Ritchie file "Revolver" UK release doesn't rip, I have tried it with various apps and different computers, no dice.....

SHadoW

princealfie
Apr 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
I finally got Serendepity to work after using handbrake to convert to avi then isquint to slim down the file to mp4.

princealfie
Apr 13, 2006, 11:58 PM
so far so good this week... no unrippable flicks lately :rolleyes:

Snowy_River
Apr 14, 2006, 10:37 PM
Part Two of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice doesn't fully work in Handbrake Lite. Redo in full version!

This is an interesting thread. The only time I came across a movie that HB wouldn't rip, I downloaded the latest version of HB and it worked. Now, I must admit that I don't rip things all that often. I did rip P&P (BBC version, both parts, no problems), but then deleted the ripped files because I found the original disks for a good price at CostCo.

Incidentally, what is HandBrake Lite? I've only ever seen HandBrake (currently at version 0.7.1).

After G
Apr 14, 2006, 11:40 PM
From the MTR manual:

Pad VOBs is for full disc extraction.
Delete VOBs is for feature/title extraction.

cowschickens13
Apr 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
to use handbrake the fastest, rip the DVD to your HD first (programs such as MactheRipper). then use handbrake, its MUCH faster.

princealfie
Apr 16, 2006, 07:13 PM
I got all those obscure DVD to work... in fact the latest version of HB seems to do the trick.:)

princealfie
Apr 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
Malcolm X only has the first part of the DVD showing up in Handbrake Lite... time to use the bigger one.

MacBoobsPro
Apr 21, 2006, 12:47 PM

Thats what I do. Takes about 40 mins on DP 1.8 G5 with 8x Superdrive :D

princealfie
Apr 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
Alas, has MTR begone yet? Very sad indeed :confused:

MacFlanker
Apr 24, 2006, 01:13 PM
old school did not work for me...

R.Youden
May 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
Futurama, Series 3, disk 4 didnt work for me. Only 3 of the 6 episodes show up. Every other Futurama, Simpsons etc works fine but I now cant put all my DVDs onto my Mac. Gutted!

Orge
May 5, 2006, 01:01 PM
most of the movies that don't work in handbrake also don't work in MTR. For example Tombstone.

0SEx complements MTR very well - I've never found a disk which can't be ripped by one or th other. Worth a try?
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

J

princealfie
Jul 6, 2006, 08:05 AM
The Legend of Zorro doesn't work using the new Handbrake. arghhh!

crap freakboy
Jul 6, 2006, 08:42 AM
The new Guy Ritchie file "Revolver" UK release doesn't rip, I have tried it with various apps and different computers, no dice.....

SHadoW

Think the reason is that OSX uses a filter for quality of direction when reading DVDs, and Revolver falls below that. It's set at 5% by default, this can be changed in Terminal though.

sushi
Jul 6, 2006, 08:49 AM
2)Star Wars I to III (can't find the DVD track in Handbrake)
Not sure with Handbrake since I do not use it.

But MacTheRipper works fine.

deputy_doofy
Jul 6, 2006, 09:41 AM
The Waterboy. Didn't realize that was a high demand movie that needed serious protection...

jamesmcd
Jul 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
If I get a disk that wont rip, I simply have to let DVD Player play it for a few seconds then quit. HB works fine after that.

skillz1318
Aug 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
good to know...

princealfie
Aug 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Note that the latest version of Handbrake works exceptionally. Fewer rejections. Only Legend of Zorro doesn't work during the past 250 rips. :cool:

slackersonly
Aug 20, 2006, 06:55 PM
why not use mac the ripper to get the dvd onto your computer (it saves as a video_ts folder) and then use Handbrake from there?

You can get mac the ripper from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414

MacTheRipper is not perfect either. A blacklist thread could be started for it as well.

slackersonly
Aug 20, 2006, 07:24 PM
The Waterboy. Didn't realize that was a high demand movie that needed serious protection...

The Waterboy is the #1 grossing sports movie of all time.
That is sad.