PDA

View Full Version : Best ipod cases?

luckylisp
Mar 29, 2006, 12:53 PM
What's the best case in everyone's opinion?

Also, if you use the invisible shield, do most of you still use a case? I was considering just getting a case without the IS, but I'm worried it might not be good enough and that the case might scratch my ipod.

Saluki Alex
Mar 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
I use the Agent 18 clear case for my nano, I like the fact that my iPod still looks like an iPod and has a hard case, not to mention that my case is scratched up pretty badly but my nano is still pristine. I can also still use it with my dock. On the downside though, little bits of stuff can get trapped in the case and scratch the nano, and people are always a little perplexed when they see mine and wonder why it's bigger than a regular nano, prompting me to pop open the case and show them the real size.

devilot
Mar 29, 2006, 01:19 PM
I use a similar protector as the Invisible shield for my Nano. And if it's going to be transported for longer than a few minutes (like walking from car to building) then I'll pop it into an Altoids tin (took a picture of it in a past thread).

sunfast
Mar 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
I've got iPod Armour (http://matias.ca/armor/). It's seriously hardcore and my iPod is in very good condition as a result.

powerboy
Mar 29, 2006, 04:07 PM
I love my Contour Showcase Video. It is the best case I have seen.

lamina
Mar 30, 2006, 08:37 AM
iPod armor is good. I demo ours at work by dropping it.

I personally use a grey iPod sock. I find it protects my iPod the best while still allowing me to enjoy the slim and sleek iPod completely naked.

Piarco
Mar 30, 2006, 08:57 AM
I've got a black Core case for both my nano and 5G. For my nano its still my "go-to" case... its small, has brilliant protection (aluminium with neoprene inner, and a screen protector) and looks great with my black nano. The 5G Core is still a case I use, but since Contour finally released the Showcase Video, thats my number one case. I have a Moshi Pouch for "naked" iPod usage too. I may get one of Vakaadoo iVak 5G cases as I think they may be quite good.

I've also got for the nano: Macally Icesuit (black and orange), Power Support Crystal jacket, Moshi Pouch, C6 MFG Carbon Fibre Shell and I'm seriously considering ordering the iWood in mahogany. As you can tell I'm a bit of an accessory junkie! I've had more cases but sold them on as they didn't make the grade IMHO (iSkin Duo for nano, iSkin eVo3 for 5G, and Contour iSee for nano).

I have the Power Support Crystal Film on both of my iPods, and despite them working brilliantly (although I've had to replace the back film of my nano once) I think an additional case - or at least a decent soft case like the Moshi Pouch or Sock is the way to go...

macpastor
Mar 30, 2006, 10:45 AM
I also use the Agent 18 case and love it. I have used one each iPod Video I have owned, and it has helped greatly. The only complaint I have is that sometimes you get an air pocket and it is very visible on the black iPod.

Zoowatch
Mar 30, 2006, 01:28 PM
i am using Agent18 Video Shield and it is quite good actually

i can even dock my 60GB iPod w/o removing the video shield by not using any dock adapter with the iPod dock

ExileinBlonde
Mar 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
I had the Agent 18 for my Photo iPod and I loved it. But now, for my 60GB 5th Gen. I use the iSee. I couldn't decide between the Agent 18 and the iSee, but I ended up with the iSee because it protected more of the iPod, i.e the top and bottom.

iHeartTheApple
Mar 30, 2006, 11:12 PM
I've got my 5G 60GB in a full InvisibleShield and the Incase leather case (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/4.RSLID?mco=749CCFF0&nplm=TG013LL%2FA). The InvisibleShield is absolutely amazing! I'm one of those super-crazy iPod owners who treat their baby like it was...well, a baby! :o :eek: The IS goes on relatively easily, albeit not perfectly the first time (give it a few tries and take a deep breath/relax). The Incase leather case is my favorite solution so far, as it seems to provide the most comfortable protection for the 5G's. The clickwheel cover protects the wheel and keeps dirt from getting in, although it does slow browsing down slightly (not a bother for me). The leather is really nice and durable and the interior is soft and smooth.

The only real complaint that I have is that (at least on my 60GB 5G) it seems as if the iPod doesn't slide *all the way* down to the bottom of the case, as you can see that the screen window on the case sits about 2mm low on the iPod. IMO, I think it's because the leather has some elasticity to it and, as a result, must be "broken in" so that the fit is better. Having said that, it's a great case with a strong belt clip and a small, pocket-able feel. Sorry for rambling :o ...and good luck with your decision! :D

iHeartTheApple
Mar 30, 2006, 11:13 PM

Agreed completely! On my old (and now parents') 4G 20GB, the contour showcase provided absolutely amazing protection...there's no contest for that one...I haven't checked to see if they have a similar one for the 5G's though. Anyone? :D

motherduce
Mar 30, 2006, 11:36 PM
I ordered a custom case from www.iFrogz.com.

They are on sale for $24 right now for the full package. Mine should arrive in the next few days and I'll let you know how it goes. iLounge gave it an A.

I just received my InvisibleShield today. Man, what a pain in the a$$ to install. I'm very picky, so I've reinstalled it a couple times and it's tough once it starts to dry. Hopefully I can get it on there without getting to impatient and frustrated.

hotsauce
Mar 31, 2006, 12:05 AM

I simply love this case. I wish they made a case for everything around my house. How about a Showcase for my couch? :D

lostonmy5g
Apr 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
I purchased a white 5g vakaadoo soft feel case from www.zoodex.com, the quality is something i havent seen in any other case, i was using an iskin evo3 before, and i've been looking for decent hard case that would keep my ipod as close to original look and feel and the vakaadoo case definitely does it. i looked at the agent 18 case, but i didnt like the bulkiness of the case, the vakaadoo case has no hinges at all, it uses a jigsaw type closing system which leaves nothing but smooth curves. i also got a cable wrap for my headphones which was a nice bonus. for 25 quid its not bad at all. i might get another colour so i can have a different front and back :) ... red back, white front and black click wheel :cool:

QCassidy352
Apr 1, 2006, 04:21 PM
I've got my 5G 60GB in a full InvisibleShield and the Incase leather case.

I've got the same combo as him on my nano. But I only put the case on if i want a belt clip (e.g. when running). As far as protection goes, I see no need for anything but the IS. It's a truly incredible product and I can't imagine putting my beautiful ipod in some case that either makes it all bulky or hides it. With the IS, you can enjoy the ipod as it was meant to be enjoyed and not have it get damaged.

darwen
Apr 1, 2006, 08:42 PM
Neopreme is always good. For the new iPod I have stuck with incase. their stuff seems to be the best at protecting while still keeping the cool factor.

luckylisp
Apr 3, 2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was close to getting the Agent 18, but wanted a belt clip so I ended up going with the Contour Isee. Is it safe to put the ipod in this case without a screen protector? I'm worried it might move a bit and scratch the screen?

Chaszmyr
Apr 3, 2006, 01:17 AM
I use an invisible shield without a case and I'm very happy this way. It may not protect it quite as well, but I always have full access to controls, and there is no extra bulk.

2jaded2care
May 12, 2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry I'm late to the discussion...

I got the Invisible Shield (full body shield) to protect from scratches, but wanted something to protect from drops, and provide a beltclip. I wanted a hard case (after recalling an incident involving a PDA screen, a leather case with beltclip, and a doorknob).

I ordered a Showcase Video 30 from Academic Superstore, only $21.95(!) :

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=753672

... But it won't fit the iPod with the full IS. The tolerances are too tight, and that .008" IS thickness won't let the showcase close. (Yes, I did email Contour beforehand to ask about this, but they didn't respond.)

Now I have to decide whether to strip off all the IS film -- except for the clickwheel -- or get a different case.

Too bad, the Showcase looks really nice...

ItsAMacWorld
May 25, 2006, 03:37 PM
Anybody know much about the Otter Box? the waterproof one? Does it work?