Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Hey guys well, we just started out in class on 3D Studio Max. We have version 7 at school but, I have version of 8 at home. I made something in version 7 at school, imported it into version 8 at home and edited my project some more.

Well anyawy I put the 3Ds Max 8 files on my USB drive and brought it into school. 3Ds Max 7 won't even open the file. And I've looked in the export options of 8 and I don't see any options to try and save it for older versions. I was able to save it in a .3DS file that 8 saved, and 7 was able to import the file but, I can't edit it. I think it's some sort of mesh or something, I can move things around and scale and rotate but, I can't color them. This is only my 3rd day with the program but, I though, hey maybe someone here has more knowledge of this program than I do. If anyone can help me out that'll be great! :D

I don't really want to have to re-create it, it's sort of hard to do here's a quick render of what it is. This is after the import so nothing is as smooth as it was in version 8.

-Limey

Attachments

• casey-render-web-tracks.jpg
    casey-render-web-tracks.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 733

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:
Hey guys well, we just started out in class on 3D Studio Max. We have version 7 at school but, I have version of 8 at home. I made something in version 7 at school, imported it into version 8 at home and edited my project some more.

Well anyawy I put the 3Ds Max 8 files on my USB drive and brought it into school. 3Ds Max 7 won't even open the file. And I've looked in the export options of 8 and I don't see any options to try and save it for older versions. I was able to save it in a .3DS file that 8 saved, and 7 was able to import the file but, I can't edit it. I think it's some sort of mesh or something, I can move things around and scale and rotate but, I can't color them. This is only my 3rd day with the program but, I though, hey maybe someone here has more knowledge of this program than I do. If anyone can help me out that'll be great! :D

I don't really want to have to re-create it, it's sort of hard to do here's a quick render of what it is. This is after the import so nothing is as smooth as it was in version 8.

-Limey

If that were a Mac program I might have an idea.
:rolleyes:

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:
Yes unfortunetly at this time it's a Windows only application.

Maybe in a few years it might come to the Mac, I hear some buzz that it's going to be mergered with Maya down the line.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
A few years back my school had max 5.0, I had the 6.0 version at home. A conversion was impossible at the time, or at least impossible to me. Don't know if anything has changed since then.

So my advice to you. Get version 7.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I use 3D Studio MAX a fair bit, it's the only thing besides Solitare and Defrag I use on an Windows XP system.

Using the export to a different format like MAYA, Lightwave, a Generic AutoCAD file might be the best option because MAX will open other 3D file types. The File > Export is probably the easiest and safest bet without getting into high end scripts and etc.

Check out http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/linkedsumindex?siteID=123112&id=5728245&linkID=5604642 there is a tonne of info on the site that may help you.

Either way you are going to have problems with exporting 8 to 7, 3D Studio MAX used to be made by discreet and now it's Autodesk and because of this the support from newer releases to older releases sucks (up there with M$ Access), my advise is to get a copy of 7 because you will have far less problems with it.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
ATD said:
Maybe in a few years it might come to the Mac, I hear some buzz that it's going to be mergered with Maya down the line.

There will be, the features in the new version of 3D Studio MAX is nearly identical to the features in Maya. It will happen within a year or 2.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
ezekielrage_99 said:
There will be, the features in the new version of 3D Studio MAX is nearly identical to the features in Maya. It will happen within a year or 2.

If they combine the best of both apps and keep it on a Mac, I would be happy.:D 3D Studio Maya?

Give me money

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2006
Canberra
Im sorry to tell you LimeiBook86 that you will never be able to get any thing that was made with 3D MAX 8 running through 3D MAX 7, 3D MAX is a evil F**K, it may be easier to use than MAYA 7 (the coolest) but it is really evil, so you should stick with MAYA 7.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Give me money said:
...3D MAX 8 running through 3D MAX 7, 3D MAX is a evil F**K,...
It's an evil *blank*...use an when then next word's first letter is a vowel :p

Well hopefully I can get version 7 soon, then I'll see how it runs under Apple Boot Camp Beta! :D

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:
It's an evil *blank*...use an when then next word's first letter is a vowel :p

Well hopefully I can get version 7 soon, then I'll see how it runs under Apple Boot Camp Beta! :D

If you can't get it to work there is always Maya ;)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well in some good news 3D Studio Max 7 works fine under Boot Camp Beta, yay! :)

And for all of you guys telling me to use Maya...I can't, I'm in a 3D Studio Max class in schools so I can't just use a different program.:p

Give me money

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2006
Canberra
That's a bad thing, I have to use 3D max too at the AIE (academy of interactive entertainment) it's frustrating to use.

It's an evil *blank*...use an when then next word's first letter is a vowel
I didnt do too wel in English, :mad: so leave me alone.:mad:

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:

And for all of you guys telling me to use Maya...I can't, I'm in a 3D Studio Max class in schools so I can't just use a different program.:p

3D Studio MAX is excellent for learning on, plus when you get out to the commercial world there are only a few application that people rely on when it comes to 3D. Maya, 3D Studio MAX and Lightwave are standard, if you learn one it's easy to learn the others, all of the major 3D software packages have good and bad points and are good for certain sitations. The only real pain in 3D is the python scripting and track views......

Anyway it works like this:
- Maya for film and high end TV.
- 3D Studio MAX for games and some TV. (yes I am aware that X-Men 1, 2 and 3 used MAX).
- Lightwave for the cheaper PC/Mac production companies out there.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Give me money said:
That's a bad thing, I have to use 3D max too at the AIE (academy of interactive entertainment) it's frustrating to use.

I didnt do too wel in English, :mad: so leave me alone.:mad:
Sorry man I'm just kidding! :p

I will probably attempt to learn Maya and LightWave eventually but, for now I'm in 3D Max land. Thanks for all the tips! :)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:
I will probably attempt to learn Maya and LightWave eventually but, for now I'm in 3D Max land.

Learn both? I have both, IMO Maya is by far a better app than Lightwave. If I had to do it over again I would have skipped Lightwave and gone to right to Maya. I found Lightwave to be a big waste of time.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
ATD said:
Learn both? I have both, IMO Maya is by far a better app than Lightwave. If I had to do it over again I would have skipped Lightwave and gone to right to Maya. I found Lightwave to be a big waste of time.

*scribbles in notepad*

Ok I'll skip Lightwave then for now. Maya seems like a good thing to try next :D

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:

Really? I have been wondering about that for a while.
1) Can you compare how fast they can render from PC and MAC (XP) for 3D max?
2) Does it run well or extremely fast than on PC?

I can NOT wait for that. Thanks dude!!!!!

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Give me money said:
I've got Maya and 3D MAX 7 but i've never heard of Lightwave; what's it like?:)

hell.

2 things I don't like about it, slow renders and really messed up interface. I found it harder to find things in Lightwave than Maya and Maya is a far more complex app. The only thing good about is it's now selling for $800 and that includes Vue 5 Infinite (a $600 app). The upgrade is $400 and it includes Vue 5 Infinite, cheaper than buying Vue 5 Infinite alone. I might upgrade for than reason only.

With Maya and 3D MAX you don't need to look at much of anything else as far as main 3D apps. Vue 5 Infinite is worth checking out.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Give me money said:
Vu5 sound ok, how much does it cost im extremaly short of cash at the moment.:)

With both Maya and Max I would be short on cash too. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.