PDA

View Full Version : Fire .032b

mc68k
Feb 1, 2003, 11:51 PM
Fire (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8933) is an multiplatform instant messenger client based on freely available libraries for each "service." Currently Fire handles AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Jabber, Yahoo! Pager, and IRC communciation.Looks like everything but Rendezvous.

I still prefer Adium.

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 2, 2003, 03:08 AM
i also prefer adium, but adium is absed on the fire code base so any advance in fire is good for adium as well.

yamadataro
Feb 2, 2003, 07:03 PM
Just checked out Adium site.
Is this just for AOL IM? Or does it handle Yahoo, MSN and others like Fire does? If it's just for AOL, I'm not too excited about it even if it's a beautuful piece of software :D

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 2, 2003, 07:06 PM
its just AOL.

version 2 is being written to be very expandable via plugins but no one has expressed interest in creating plugins for other protocols yet. most peope prefer just one.

if you want multiple protocols try proteus, much better than fire and also built off the fire code the same way adium is.

yamadataro
Feb 2, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
if you want multiple protocols try proteus, much better than fire and also built off the fire code the same way adium is.

Just been to the Proteus site. It looks like a cool software. I've always thought Fire was the only milti-platform IM app. I guess not. I'll download it and give it a try.

I'd try anything to make my life simpler. Thanks for the info!

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 2, 2003, 07:13 PM
np.

btw which protocols do you use?

yamadataro
Feb 2, 2003, 07:20 PM

btw which protocols do you use?

I'm on MSN, Yahoo and sometimes AOL. I also use Japanese Yahoo IM which is on a Japan-only separate system from the Yahoo.com.

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 2, 2003, 07:22 PM
gotcha. well hopefully peopel will write msn and yahoo plugins for adium. it is by far the best IM client since it actually offers features that none of the others do (instead of just being a clone)

mangoduck
Feb 3, 2003, 05:47 PM
0.32a was decent, and gave me few problems. tried 0.32b recently and a couple odd things happened -- my yahoo account is always invisible to others even when set not to be, and some messages weren't showing up. i could hear when they were recieved, but no window opened. this led to shouting "who the heck is messaging me?!", and promptly reverted to .32a. don't know if this was a one time bug or if it's reproducible.

tried proteus today and i like it better. connects to all the same services and has plenty of options.

howard
Feb 3, 2003, 06:46 PM
i like adium a lot except for 2 reasons...and i think i speak for everyone here

1. can't see away message untill you type to the person
2. can't send files or receive files

if only it had these features....

FredAkbar
Feb 3, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by howard
i like adium a lot except for 2 reasons...and i think i speak for everyone here

1. can't see away message untill you type to the person
2. can't send files or receive files

if only it had these features....

Buddy icons would be nice, too, as well as some basic Direct IM capabilities (file transfer (as you mentioned), sending of pics, simply being Directly connected, etc.). But yea, away message viewing is the #1 missing feature in Adium for me right now. AOL sucks at viewing away messages, and I don't want to get on the official AIM client with another s/n just to see someone's away message. (And I don't like IMing people when they are away either, so I can't see it that way.)

MrMacMan
Feb 3, 2003, 08:55 PM
That is my only prob with Adium to check what my friends are doing I have to send a message with a space.

Then later they go 'Hey, what do you want' I say nothing and it gets them pissed :(

guifa
Feb 7, 2003, 08:06 PM
gotcha. well hopefully peopel will write msn and yahoo plugins for adium. it is by far the best IM client since it actually offers features that none of the others do (instead of just being a clone)
We've never heard of this problem before. Are you running a localized version of the program?