Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Oh its a idea. What do you think?

I really hope Apple keeps a physical clickwheel! Anybody that has played with Palm Pilots or PocketPC's knows when I say that onscreen equivalent buttons just don't match up...

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
I think it's an interesting idea, but it would add a lot of bulk to the iPod, and Apple seems to want to make it thinner and thinner....

True. I remember my Palm Zire 71. Cool sliding function but a bit on the thick side.

What other ways do you think Apple is going to protect that giant screen? I can imagine people are going to crack those screens by pressing too hard on the virtual click wheel...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pockyrevolution said:
What other ways do you think Apple is going to protect that giant screen? I can imagine people are going to crack those screens by pressing too hard on the virtual click wheel...

Yeah...unless a plastic digitizer or some other alternate technology that doesn't have glass in it is ready for primetime, I see this as being a big problem....

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I don't know which touch-screen rumor started first, but if you ask me it's just not plausible. I've been known to be wrong in the past, but how is a touch screen effective, useful, or good looking. Touch screens usually just frustrate me... :eek:

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Also, when this next gen iPod is going to be in "Music Mode", do you think Apple will have a way of turning parts of the screen off? The battery life would be terrible if the entire screen was backlit when the iPod is just playing music.

Oh wait thats it. Partial backlighting. Music mode = only upper half backlit !!!

Edit: D'oh. Can't use a virtual click wheel without backlight.... Keep the (physical) clickwheel Apple!

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
realityisterror said:
I don't know which touch-screen rumor started first, but if you ask me it's just not plausible. I've been known to be wrong in the past, but how is a touch screen effective, useful, or good looking. Touch screens usually just frustrate me... :eek:

Agreed! I owned a Philips Pronto remote before. One of those remotes which use a giant touch screen so it can contain "hundreds or remotes in one". But you have to look down all the time since its a flat surface D:

How is Apple going to pull this one off?! Post ideas please.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Wouldn't it be better if it extended from the top? Then you could have the click wheel on the side, and you could have access to a removable battery through the small window opening when the iPod is in full extended mode. I'd love to have a removable battery...

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Cool! I hadn't thought about sliding it in that direction. That would keep the clickwheel right under your thumb.

I doubt they will include removable batteries... Apple doesn't want consumers opening up the iPod, and battery doors just make the unit weaker.

Perhaps some flat contacts on the back of the device to make it easier to add an external battery pack? (So no connecting into the dock connector)

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
What if, instead of sliding, it was on a hinge? I imagine that way you could make it less susceptible to snapping.

pockyrevolution

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Kingsly said:
Good idea, but Apple will never do it. they pride themselves on *NO* doors, latches, or other dongles that can otherwise be broken and/or add unnecessary bulk to their products.

Like the iBook clamshell I am writing on right now! :D

So Kingsly, how do you think Apple will do it without doors, latches etc ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.