PDA

View Full Version : AirPort and TiBooks

shakespeare
Feb 2, 2003, 11:22 AM
I have an old TiBook 400 mHz, and I want to get online wirelessly. I've heard that the Titanium of the TiBook absorbs AirPort signals, and I'm wondering if it's going to be worth shelling out for the base station and AirPort card.

What kind of reception am I going to get? Will I be able to go upstairs with it? Will I be able to get online at the local coffeehouse with a reliable connection? Or do I have to get one of the new Aluminum PowerBooks?

Thanks for any input.

Bear
Feb 2, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by shakespeare
What kind of reception am I going to get? Will I be able to go upstairs with it? Will I be able to get online at the local coffeehouse with a reliable connection? Or do I have to get one of the new Aluminum PowerBooks?

Thanks for any input.
Speaking from my experience with a TiBook, I have no probelms with the wireless base and the computer being on different floors.

This is in my abode and at a couple of friends as well. As a matter of fact, their PC with the wireless card sticking out of the PCMCIA slot had more reception problems than the TiBook did.

You just need the base in a good location.

idkew
Feb 2, 2003, 12:42 PM
contrary to the "myth" my tibook gets great reception for airport. i have used it side by side with a pismo and a new ibook and i see little to no difference in range.

i use my a connection sometimes which is across the street and a few doors down. i would not call that bad reception. although it may be bad ethics...

shakespeare
Feb 2, 2003, 01:05 PM
Good good good, that makes me happy. Thanks guys.

No one disagrees that TiBooks and AirPort work well together, right?

idkew
Feb 2, 2003, 03:50 PM
hehe, the "connection" i used must have gotten mad. it is now password protected.... grrr!! it was faster than my school's multiple t1's.