PDA

View Full Version : Is my Ti DVI Powerbook fried?

Amber
Mar 31, 2006, 09:30 AM
I bought a Powerbook off eBay saying it wouldn't boot up. Upon recieved it, it looks like someone has spilled Cola in it. I cleaned it up best I could and noticed burn marks on the DC In and a few marks on the Logic Board. I ordered a new DC In and installed it.

When I turned it on I can see the screen flash ever so slightly (maybe sparks inside?) and something sounds like it's running (the fans most likely as there's no HD installed yet just RAM)

Then the noise stops and the white sleep light comes on and makes a beep.

Anything I can try before buying another logic board? Would a logic board fix the problem?

Thanks in advance, this Mac has been stressing me out for days!

mad jew
Mar 31, 2006, 04:40 PM
Well, if someone has spilled Coke on it, then I think the problems might extend beyond the logic board. Personally, I'd cut my losses and look for another machine. :o

Amber
Apr 1, 2006, 04:40 AM
:( anyone else? I don't know what to do. I've already bought the DC In. I guess I could just sell the parts if all else fails.

gman71882
Apr 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
Sometimes Beeps can mean Bad Ram... if you have any extra RAM try switching out the Ram and try again.
Have you tried booting off of an Instalation CD/DVD? :

Hold down Option key @ Startup to get the Bootloader... if/when you get the grey screen with 2 buttons, put the CD/DVD in, click the reload button, and try to Boot off of the install CD. You dont need a HD to run off the CD/DVD.

You could also try an Apple Hardware test CD. There not to hard to get - come with all new computers.

Otherwise last case you could part it out and make some money back... Optical Drive is worth a bunch, as well as the Display, Airport, etc...
check out ifixit.com (http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/sell.php) to see if they would purchase it from you.

Good luck