PDA

View Full Version : iTMS Rename?

StarbucksSam
Mar 31, 2006, 09:33 AM
I have a question that I was hoping someone could shed some light on, be it speculative in nature or not. The iTunes Music Store now sells videos and shows - but has not yet been renamed. I understand the danger in a company's rebranding a well-known product. I was wondering, however, if Apple would rename it the Apple Media Store or something like that, and if anyone had thoughts on the subject.

emw
Mar 31, 2006, 09:50 AM
Perhaps something like iTMS - iTunes Media Store. But I doubt they'll make a major switch in the branding of the store; as you've said, too much name recognition as it is.

I'm trying to think of other examples of products that would be in a similar position, but I'm drawing a blank.

Burger King? They sell salads and chicken sandwiches, but didn't rename to Lunch King.

I'm sure there are other examples out there.

GilGrissom
Mar 31, 2006, 09:56 AM
Perhaps something like iTMS - iTunes Media Store. But I doubt they'll make a major switch in the branding of the store; as you've said, too much name recognition as it is.

I'm trying to think of other examples of products that would be in a similar position, but I'm drawing a blank.

Burger King? They sell salads and chicken sandwiches, but didn't rename to Lunch King.

I'm sure there are other examples out there.
Ye I agree.

Nice examples there by the way! :)
...can't think of any more right now.

It's not the first time this has been mentioned, as Apple move more and more into our digital media living rooms.

I do think a total rename won't happen. It also links to whether iTunes, the app, needs renaming...it just doesn't play and organise music/audio anymore, but video, like iTMS. Just think how big iTunes has gotten now. I highly doubt Apple would change it and would defend it to the hilltop, no matter how much it cost.

I think iTunes & iTMS have still got some big things coming for them in the pipeline, but I think it will still be known as "iTunes" one way or another.

Kernow
Mar 31, 2006, 10:04 AM
I was wondering, however, if Apple would rename it the Apple Media Store or something like that, and if anyone had thoughts on the subject.

I would guess that that particular name would be out of the question, at least until the current lawsuit is resolved one way or the other.