Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I have a question that I was hoping someone could shed some light on, be it speculative in nature or not. The iTunes Music Store now sells videos and shows - but has not yet been renamed. I understand the danger in a company's rebranding a well-known product. I was wondering, however, if Apple would rename it the Apple Media Store or something like that, and if anyone had thoughts on the subject.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Perhaps something like iTMS - iTunes Media Store. But I doubt they'll make a major switch in the branding of the store; as you've said, too much name recognition as it is.

I'm trying to think of other examples of products that would be in a similar position, but I'm drawing a blank.

Burger King? They sell salads and chicken sandwiches, but didn't rename to Lunch King.

I'm sure there are other examples out there.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
emw said:
Perhaps something like iTMS - iTunes Media Store. But I doubt they'll make a major switch in the branding of the store; as you've said, too much name recognition as it is.

I'm trying to think of other examples of products that would be in a similar position, but I'm drawing a blank.

Burger King? They sell salads and chicken sandwiches, but didn't rename to Lunch King.

I'm sure there are other examples out there.
Ye I agree.

Nice examples there by the way! :)
...can't think of any more right now.

It's not the first time this has been mentioned, as Apple move more and more into our digital media living rooms.

I do think a total rename won't happen. It also links to whether iTunes, the app, needs renaming...it just doesn't play and organise music/audio anymore, but video, like iTMS. Just think how big iTunes has gotten now. I highly doubt Apple would change it and would defend it to the hilltop, no matter how much it cost.

I think iTunes & iTMS have still got some big things coming for them in the pipeline, but I think it will still be known as "iTunes" one way or another.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
StarbucksSam said:
I was wondering, however, if Apple would rename it the Apple Media Store or something like that, and if anyone had thoughts on the subject.

I would guess that that particular name would be out of the question, at least until the current lawsuit is resolved one way or the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.