PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Windows Setup: Past & Present!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

lost eden
Jul 15, 2007, 10:43 AM
504gb Ram
Sure, sure...

iBookG4user
Jul 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
Sure, sure...

You've never heard that integrated graphics take up system RAM?

LeviG
Jul 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
You've never heard that integrated graphics take up system RAM?

look more closely ..........

504gb it should be 504mb (the missing 8meg is taken for graphics obviously) :rolleyes:

iBookG4user
Jul 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
look more closely ..........

504gb it should be 504mb (the missing 8meg is taken for graphics obviously) :rolleyes:

He probably got it refurbished and got some extra ram with it. Nothing out of the ordinary. :p

stuh84
Jul 15, 2007, 03:35 PM
You seem to be missing the point, he is saying that he does not have 504 GIGABYTES of RAM, he has 504 MEGABYTES of RAM

The difference between Giga and Mega is the operative precursor here

iBookG4user
Jul 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
You seem to be missing the point, he is saying that he does not have 504 GIGABYTES of RAM, he has 504 MEGABYTES of RAM

The difference between Giga and Mega is the operative precursor here

You seem to have missed the sarcasm. ;)

QuarterSwede
Jul 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
You seem to have missed the sarcasm. ;)
As did I.

LeviG
Jul 15, 2007, 05:43 PM
if youre going to be sarcastic atleast put a :rolleyes: or ;) at the end :D

wallaby
Jul 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
Sort of both Windows and Mac setup...no room to set the MBP right now.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/MaskedWallaby/2007_Jul19070.jpg

vohdoun
Jul 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
Nice cosy setup you have there, wallaby.

ryannel2003
Jul 20, 2007, 09:54 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8426/img3289tt4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here's a picture of my tower; other pictures are in the Under 18 thread.

Dell Dimension E521
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0GHz, 512x2)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive
16x DVD +/- RW Drive
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1300Pro
Dell 19" E197FP display
Windows XP Professional

NickD
Jul 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
Do you run those bookshelf speakers through your comp?

wallaby
Jul 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
Do you run those bookshelf speakers through your comp?

Yep, I've got a cable that let's me use them as my computer speakers on AUX. Saves space.

NickD
Jul 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
Very cool. I'll have to try that someday.

techlover828
Jul 23, 2007, 09:09 AM
Here is my set up right now although I have a macbook pro on the way :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/cdilisio

BTW this was taken on a Canon D50

ReanimationLP
Jul 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Heres a picture of my main computer, my PC.

Specs :

Intel Pentium4 HT 2.8GHz OC'ed to 3.2 GHz
2GB of Dual Channel DDR400 Memory (4X512MB)
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 in the AGP 8X slot
Realtek Built-in 5.1 Surround Sound
Intel Gigabit Ethernet
Coolermaster 430w Power Supply
Dual 250GB WD Caviar SE SATA Drives
Maxtor ATA/133 160GB HDD
Quantum 30GB ATA/100 HDD
NEC 16X DVD-RW Drive and 3.5" Floppy
Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case
Gigabyte 8IK1100 Intel 875P Mainboard

Its hooked up to a Sony FW900 24" CRT monitor, and an IBM P97 19" monitor, as well as a Microsoft wireless mouse, a Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard, a Microsoft Xbox360 Controller, and Razer Barracuda 5.1 Gaming Headphones, and an HP Laserjet 5 printer.

I have a SB Audigy card to install, but I dunno yet. Plus then I'm lazy.

artic5693
Oct 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
Dell Dimension 8400

lost eden
Oct 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
Heres a picture of my main computer, my PC.

Specs :

Intel Pentium4 HT 2.8GHz OC'ed to 3.2 GHz
2GB of Dual Channel DDR400 Memory (4X512MB)
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 in the AGP 8X slot
Realtek Built-in 5.1 Surround Sound
Intel Gigabit Ethernet
Coolermaster 430w Power Supply
Dual 250GB WD Caviar SE SATA Drives
Maxtor ATA/133 160GB HDD
Quantum 30GB ATA/100 HDD
NEC 16X DVD-RW Drive and 3.5" Floppy
Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case
Gigabyte 8IK1100 Intel 875P Mainboard

Its hooked up to a Sony FW900 24" CRT monitor, and an IBM P97 19" monitor, as well as a Microsoft wireless mouse, a Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard, a Microsoft Xbox360 Controller, and Razer Barracuda 5.1 Gaming Headphones, and an HP Laserjet 5 printer.

I have a SB Audigy card to install, but I dunno yet. Plus then I'm lazy.
Mega props for the FW900. Wish I coudl lay my hands on one of those :(

wizwaz3
Oct 24, 2007, 02:54 PM
Sony FW900 24" CRT monitor

1) Is that widescreen and 2) what resolution do you have that thing set to!? :)

FadeToBlack
Oct 24, 2007, 03:42 PM

Looking at the picture, it does appear to be a Widescreen. If it is, I believe it's one of the first Widescreen CRT's I've seen, with the exception of Widescreen CRT HDTV's. I'm also curious about the resolution. I'd say 1920x1200 if it's a Widescreen. Just guessing, though.

Rhosfelt
Oct 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
This is all we should be seeing....

synth3tik
Oct 24, 2007, 05:25 PM
Here is the closest I get to a "Windows Set up"

contoursvt
Oct 24, 2007, 05:56 PM
Antec P180 case with Seasonic 600W PSU
ASUS P5WDG2 WS PRO workstation board
Intel Core2 Q6600 quad core 2.4Ghz processor
4x1GB Kingston DDR2 533 RAM
Foxconn Nvidia 7950GT 512MB video card
Adaptec 39160 dual U160 SCSI controller
73GB Fujitsu U320 15K SCSI drive
36GB Fujitsu U320 15K SCSI drive
80GB Maxtor SATA
120GB Maxtor SATA
Pioneer 111 DVD burner
Vista 64bit

Monitor is Dell 21" Trinitron from a thousand years ago and the keyboard is a Dell extended as well..IMO one of the best keyboards. HP laser printer and Altec speakers.

http://powerthings.com/pics/setup.jpg

vendettabass
Oct 25, 2007, 03:30 AM
Antec P180 case with Seasonic 600W PSU

I love those antec cases!

koobcamuk
Oct 25, 2007, 05:27 AM
if youre going to be sarcastic atleast put a :rolleyes: or ;) at the end :D

Are you being sarcastic?

lost eden
Oct 25, 2007, 07:38 AM
The Sony FW900 has a maximum resolution of 2,304 x 1,440 IIRC.

FadeToBlack
Oct 25, 2007, 05:41 PM
I love those antec cases!

Yeah, it's nice looking.........for a PC case. :p

lost eden
Oct 26, 2007, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's nice looking.........for a PC case. :p

Ah, but it's nice looking and functional - something you'll never get from a Mac!

wizwaz3
Oct 26, 2007, 03:19 AM
Oh God... I see a war coming... :p

FadeToBlack
Oct 26, 2007, 03:42 AM
Oh God... I see a war coming... :p

Eh, no war coming. Lots of Mac cases are VERY functional, though. The G3 and G4 Power Macs come to mind, with the door on the side to access just about anything in the machine.

Same thing goes for the Mac Pro and MacBook. Just look at how easy it is to swap hard drives.

But yeah, that Antec case is nice. I was just joking around. I hate Windows personally, but if someone else likes it, more power to 'em. It's just preference. :cool:

Topher15
Oct 26, 2007, 03:50 AM
Here's my workstation. Very messy atm. Soon to be clean up (i.e. replaced with an iMac) :p

PowerFullMac
Oct 26, 2007, 05:11 AM
My Windows setup... :D :D :D

FadeToBlack
Oct 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
My Windows setup... :D :D :D

Now THAT'S a nice setup right there. :D

bembol
Nov 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
Gateway T-6816 Notebook.

I like it. $775 CAN is a great price, Specs are decent.

14.1", Vista Premium, 1.5GHz C2D
160GB HDD, 2GB RAM

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9682/hpim1242gm4.jpg

JunBug119
Nov 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
Gateway T-6816 Notebook.

I like it. $775 CAN is a great price, Specs are decent.

14.1", Vista Premium, 1.5GHz C2D
160GB HDD, 2GB RAM

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9682/hpim1242gm4.jpg

is that a steelers jersey? jerome bettis?

lost eden
Nov 8, 2007, 11:12 AM
Lots of Mac cases are VERY functional, though.
Now THAT made me laugh, thankyou!

FadeToBlack
Nov 8, 2007, 07:22 PM

As I said earlier, Power Mac G3, G4, G5, Mac Pro?? You don't consider those functional? What about the G4 Cube or the MacBook? C'mon, seriously.

Tucom
Nov 8, 2007, 08:56 PM

You're making us laugh, or at least me, by how blind-sighted your sounding.

Open up a G5. Then, take a similarly priced, and or spec'd machine from Dell, and open it's side up. Tell this thread which is more functional and better laid and thought out.

Take a Mac Pro. Open it up. Take a similar machine from - you pick. Which machine would you rather work inside of?

Peace

FadeToBlack
Nov 8, 2007, 11:58 PM

Open up a G5. Then, take a similarly priced, and or spec'd machine from Dell, and open it's side up. Tell this thread which is more functional and better laid and thought out.

Take a Mac Pro. Open it up. Take a similar machine from - you pick. Which machine would you rather work inside of?

Peace

Exactly my point. Glad to see someone agrees. :)

I had a Power Mac G4 MDD and upgraded the RAM in it and it was ridiculously easy. Open the side, put the RAM in, done. 2 minute job. Gotta love it. VERY functional, IMO. :cool:

lost eden
Nov 9, 2007, 04:10 AM

That example puts you in an incredibly biased position, as you are comparing the pinnacle of Apple design with one of the worst, most proprietary IBM-compatible machines on the market. The one thing that makes IBM-compatible machines so much more functional than Macs is that they aren't proprietary. I never wanted to imply that proprietary Dells were well laid-out & nice to work on compared to Macs, however I DO want to imply that pretty much any IBM-compatible machine that uses a standard ATX case (i.e. not proprietary layouts of Dell, HP, etc.) will be a hell of a lot more 'functional' than any Mac machine.

First of all let's consider expansion. How many 5.25" bays does a Mac Pro have? 2? Pathetic; if I want on-the-fly burning between 2 drives, that's both of my 5.25" bays gone already! Any ATX tower of the same size would have at least 4, if not 5. How many (external) 3.5" bays does it have? None whatsoever. Again, pathetic. Any ATX tower would have at very least 1 for legacy support of a floppy drive or, more popular these days, a card reader (or combined floppy/card reader). How many internal 3.5" bays (HDD) does it have? 4 - that's not so bad, comparative with the smallest of mid-towers - however, any ATX tower of more similar size to the Mac Pro would probably have 5, 6 or more. How about expansion slots? Mac Pro has 4x PCI-Express slots, only 1 of which is double-width. PCI slots? Oh no. How about an enthusiast ATX board? Well, 2x double-width PCI-Express 16x slots to accomodate SLI/Crossfire cards, a couple of PCI-Express 1x slots & a couple of PCI slots at the bottom for good will.

Second, let's think about upgrading. Alright, so upgrading the RAM on a Mac Pro is almost as easy as an ATX board, the expansion cards are pretty much the same (that's one thing Apple can't really mess up, though I don't know what their card retention device is like), but how about the CPU(s)? Are they even user-upgradable? And of course, as with any Mac upgrade, you have to choose from a tiny range of over-priced hardware supplied by Apple, rather than choosing from the vast ranges of cheaper & superior (for the price) components that the ATX machine has at it's disposal.

Peace
If it's my pick, then I would either pick a machine built myself with a case of my choice, or if that's not allowed in the rules I would pick a machine from one of the many companies such as Scan, who build machines in decent cases (from the likes of Antec, Silverstone, Lian-Li, etc.) rather than choosing one of the huge global manufacturers like Dell/HP who use their own proprietary cases. Every single time I would chose the IBM machine. Every time. I will never buy a desktop Mac, as none of them can yet handle what I want from a desktop - their design is just too constricting & limiting.

What I think the problem we have here is a difference in the definition of the word 'functional'. To me, 'functional' means that I can do what I want with the machine - I can make it function in any way I wish, to achieve any function that I desire. For example, if that function was to provide a 4-disk hot-swappable RAID5, then I could install a PCI RAID controller along with a 4 bay hot-swap hard drive rack in 3x 5.25" bays. Another example, if I want the machine to play the latest game with all the bells & whistles, I install 2x high-end video cards in SLI/Crossfire/Multichrome. Another example is that I've had the machine for a year or two, it's starting to show it's age, but to give it a new lease of life I swap the processor for a faster model. Macs, by their very nature, fail to match this definition of 'functional'. Because Apple controls (& therefore drastically limits) the choice of hardware & expandability options, their machines will never be as 'functional' as an ATX machine in this regard.

Yes, I admit that there are also benefits to Apple's design regime, primarily in that whatever Mac Pro you open up you will find all of the components in the same place, they will all come out in the same manner, you have guaranteed hardware compatability, etc. However it is this very regime that drastically limits the 'functionality' of Macs as far as expansion, choice & upgrading are considered.

I wouldn't call the design of Mac desktops 'functional' as far as I define the word. Functional to the repair guy in the Apple Store, because he knows exactly where & what to do to replace that busted pouwer supply, but not functional to the home user. 'Uniform' would be a better word.

What about the G4 Cube or the MacBook?
Now this time you have GOT to be kidding me. The G4 Cube is well-reknown as one of the least practical computer designs in history! Apple have long had an ethos of 'form over function' & the G4 cube is the pinnacle creation of this.

The MacBook isn't exactly that functional either - seriously limited expansion, sharp edges on the wristrest, non user-replacable optical drive, matt white interior that picks up dirt like nothing else, a camera right where you put your thumb when you open the lid, awful weight distribution, etc. (Note: I own a MacBook)

I had a Power Mac G4 MDD and upgraded the RAM in it and it was ridiculously easy. Open the side, put the RAM in, done. 2 minute job. Gotta love it. VERY functional, IMO.
You fail to realise that this is exactly the same as upgrading the RAM in pretty much any ATX case on the market. Side off, RAM in, side back on.

FadeToBlack
Nov 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
You fail to realise that this is exactly the same as upgrading the RAM in pretty much any ATX case on the market. Side off, RAM in, side back on.

But.......the Mac has a nice little handle on it. :p

Seriously though, you've gotta admit how awesome the Power Mac G3, G4, and G5 were for upgrading. Yeah, they may not have as much room for expansion, but what they do have is easy to work with and your typical Mac user doesn't need all that expansion.

I admit, I'm no expert at all when it comes to the inner workings of a computer, but I definitely know the basics and I would feel MUCH more comfortable opening up a Power Mac/Mac Pro than any PC tower.

Oh and about the Cube, you don't think that fitting all that computing power (at least for that time period) in that small of a space was pretty impressive? And they didn't even have a fan, so they ran in complete silence. Plus, a lot of the components were user-replaceable. I consider the Cube very functional. Hell, people still buy them to upgrade them, even though they could have a Mac mini with like 4x the power. The Cube was just cool, plain and simple. I believe it's only downfall was the price.

I do see your point, though, about certain things not working with Macs and the whole proprietary system of it all, but there's an upside to that - Apple only has to support a limited number of hardware configurations. Me, I like it that way, but a pro user might not. It all just comes down to what the user needs. Me, I'll take my all-in-one iMac. Simple, elegant design. Yeah, I wouldn't even consider taking it apart, but that's why I'm gonna buy AppleCare when the time comes.

lost eden
Nov 9, 2007, 12:25 PM
Seriously though, you've gotta admit how awesome the Power Mac G3, G4, and G5 were for upgrading. Yeah, they may not have as much room for expansion, but what they do have is easy to work with and your typical Mac user doesn't need all that expansion.

I admit, I'm no expert at all when it comes to the inner workings of a computer, but I definitely know the basics and I would feel MUCH more comfortable opening up a Power Mac/Mac Pro than any PC tower.
The argument wasn't strictly about how easy the machines are to work with/to upgrade; instead the subject at debate was how 'functional' they are. You can quote me as agreeing that your average desktop Mac is easier to upgrade & work with than your average ATX IBM-compatible PC. However the point I was trying to make in regards to 'functionality' is that an ATX PC is more 'functional' because of the sheer number of things that can be upgraded/installed by the user. To take the MacBook as an example, yes it is extremely easy to upgrade the RAM &/or the Hard Drive; however, it is completely impossible for the user to upgrade anything else, whereas other IBM-compatible laptops often sport user-upgradable RAM & hard drives, as well as optical drives, network interfaces, graphics cards, etc.

Oh and about the Cube, you don't think that fitting all that computing power (at least for that time period) in that small of a space was pretty impressive? And they didn't even have a fan, so they ran in complete silence. Plus, a lot of the components were user-replaceable. I consider the Cube very functional. Hell, people still buy them to upgrade them, even though they could have a Mac mini with like 4x the power. The Cube was just cool, plain and simple. I believe it's only downfall was the price.
That much power in such a small space? Yeah, they had laptops back then too. Also, they weren't completely silent, because they still had a hard drive. However, immediate responses aside, to use my definition of 'functionality' again, the G4 Cube was extremely limited as it sports virtually no expansion whatsoever. Though it is important to note, as you mentioned elswhere in your post, that somebody who buys such a thing won't usually have the demanding needs to require such expandability, so it is an acceptable trade-off for the decreased size/increased visual appeal (if that's your thing).

FadeToBlack
Nov 9, 2007, 01:54 PM
The argument wasn't strictly about how easy the machines are to work with/to upgrade; instead the subject at debate was how 'functional' they are. You can quote me as agreeing that your average desktop Mac is easier to upgrade & work with than your average ATX IBM-compatible PC. However the point I was trying to make in regards to 'functionality' is that an ATX PC is more 'functional' because of the sheer number of things that can be upgraded/installed by the user. To take the MacBook as an example, yes it is extremely easy to upgrade the RAM &/or the Hard Drive; however, it is completely impossible for the user to upgrade anything else, whereas other IBM-compatible laptops often sport user-upgradable RAM & hard drives, as well as optical drives, network interfaces, graphics cards, etc.

That much power in such a small space? Yeah, they had laptops back then too. Also, they weren't completely silent, because they still had a hard drive. However, immediate responses aside, to use my definition of 'functionality' again, the G4 Cube was extremely limited as it sports virtually no expansion whatsoever. Though it is important to note, as you mentioned elswhere in your post, that somebody who buys such a thing won't usually have the demanding needs to require such expandability, so it is an acceptable trade-off for the decreased size/increased visual appeal (if that's your thing).

Yeah, I think we're on the same page now. I had just misunderstood what you meant by functionality.

I've seen laptops with upgradeable graphics cards, etc, which is very cool if you're a gamer or doing serious graphics work.

With the Cube, I just meant that it was easy to upgrade the HD, RAM, etc. I wasn't sure if it had any expansion slots or not. Just checked MacTracker and it says that it has 1 2x AGP slot, which obviously isn't much in the way of expandability. So yeah, the thing I like the most about the Cube was just the "cool factor." It was just awesome. I've still never got to see one in person, as I didn't switch to the Mac 'til 2004 and no one that I know of around here uses a Mac.

Tucom
Nov 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
Alright lost eden, you make your point clear. You originally came off as sound snobbish, but it seems you're quite knowledgeable in this area.

You weren't that specific. Mac cases are very functional, but not nearly as upgradable or open to tinkering and customization than "PC" cases. More specifically ATX and BTX cases.

Now, tell this thread this. What would you rather have: a Mac Pro, or the equivalent from Dell ;)

Peace

luffx
Nov 9, 2007, 03:06 PM
My setup. Click on the images for a bigger view.

2.4 GHz E6600 Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR2 RAM / GeForce 7600 / SB Audigy 2 / Segate 7200.10 with 16MB Cache / Win XP Pro x64 and Vista RC1 x64

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n177/custompcmicro/th_monitors.jpg (http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n177/custompcmicro/monitors.jpg)
Desk

nice WoW login screen. Hee hee. :p

lost eden
Nov 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
Alright lost eden, you make your point clear. You originally came off as sound snobbish, but it seems you're quite knowledgeable in this area.

You weren't that specific. Mac cases are very functional, but not nearly as upgradable or open to tinkering and customization than "PC" cases. More specifically ATX and BTX cases.

Now, tell this thread this. What would you rather have: a Mac Pro, or the equivalent from Dell ;)

Peace
Well, that's a hard question to answer, as I'm the sort of person who would never-in-a-million-years buy a proprietary desktop (be it Apple, Dell, HP, whoever) because they could simply never accomplish enough of the tasks I require from a desktop. I may disappoint you, but if forced to make such a decision I would probably choose to go with the Dell XPS 720 H2C (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs). The reasoning here is that one of the main things that I would do with a new desktop would be gaming, & there is no way that a Mac Pro could match the Dell in terms of gaming performance when specced with dual 8800 Ultras. The XPS also appears to sport 4x Hard Drive bays (same as the Mac Pro) but also 4x 5.25" bays (2 more than the Mac Pro) which would allow me further expansion over the Mac Pro. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily be happy with either the XPS or the Pro - I would much rather take the money & build myself a nice new Linux box!

Tucom
Nov 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well, that's a hard question to answer, as I'm the sort of person who would never-in-a-million-years buy a proprietary desktop (be it Apple, Dell, HP, whoever) because they could simply never accomplish enough of the tasks I require from a desktop. I may disappoint you, but if forced to make such a decision I would probably choose to go with the Dell XPS 720 H2C (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs). The reasoning here is that one of the main things that I would do with a new desktop would be gaming, & there is no way that a Mac Pro could match the Dell in terms of gaming performance when specced with dual 8800 Ultras. The XPS also appears to sport 4x Hard Drive bays (same as the Mac Pro) but also 4x 5.25" bays (2 more than the Mac Pro) which would allow me further expansion over the Mac Pro. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily be happy with either the XPS or the Pro - I would much rather take the money & build myself a nice new Linux box!

I had a feeling you were going to say a XPS system. I do see what you mean by raw expandability and flexibility.

It all really comes down to what you're looking for. If you're multi-processor intensive tasks such as video editing or music production, a Mac Pro is hard to beat. If you're feeling the desire of 100+ FPS in BioShock on a 30" screen with all graphics cranked, then a XPS H2C is one of the best choices there is.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Peace

lost eden
Nov 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
It all really comes down to what you're looking for. If you're multi-processor intensive tasks such as video editing or music production, a Mac Pro is hard to beat.
I'm afraid I'll have to point you towards Dell's Precision range of workstations (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_690?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz). Allow me to effect a short comparison;

CPU
Both machines can be specced with dual 3GHz quad-core Xeons

Conclusion: level-pegging in terms of procesing power.

RAM
Mac Pro is limited to 16GiB of RAM, Dell Precision can accomodate up to 64GiB.

Conclusion: the Dell seriously outclasses the Mac with a full four times the RAM.

Hard Drives
Mac Pro wins in terms of overall space with 3TB compared to 2.5TB of the Dell Precision, however the Precision gives you the option of 10,000RPM SATA drives with NetBurst cache as well as 15,000RPM SAS drives, both of which are substantially faster than the standard 7200RPM desktop drives that ship in the Mac Pro. The Dell Precision also ships with both SATA & SAS RAID controllers as standard; the Mac Pro offers only an SATA controller as an optional extra.

Conclusion: Mac Pro wins in terms of sheer capacity, but Dell Presision would leave it in the dust in terms of performance (which is higher on the list than capacity in workstation applications anyway), as well as completely outclassing it in terms of data integrity & drive flexibility.

Graphics
The Mac Pro offers a single Quadro FX 4500 card, allowing a dual-monitor setup. The Dell Precision offers dual Qaudro FX4600 cards in SLI, allowing a dual-monitor setup with substantially more power, or alternatively, a dual Quadro FX3500 setup allowing a quad monitor setup with substantially more screen real estate.

Conclusion: Dell Precision wins both in terms of power & real estate.

So I'm afraid I will have to oppose your claim that the Mac Pro is hard to beat for workstation tasks such as video-editing. I agree that the Mac Pro is maybe more 'accessible' to a member of the general public than the Dell Precision, seeming as any old John Smith can walk into an Apple store & purchase a Mac Pro, however that doesn't mean that it is the best in it's field. I only used Dell as an example; if you were to take a look at the catalogues of companies such as Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics Incorporated, Supermicro, etc., you would find that they all offer workstation-class machines of superior specifications to the Mac Pro (or at comparative specifications but at lower prices). In fact, it is companies such as Supermicro who focus their entire product range on high-end workstations/servers that truly dominate this portion of the market.

Oh yes, plus the Precision range has the option of shipping with Linux :)

flowagner
Nov 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to point you towards Dell's Precision range of workstations (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_690?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz). Allow me to effect a short comparison;

CPU
Both machines can be specced with dual 3GHz quad-core Xeons

Conclusion: level-pegging in terms of procesing power.

RAM

Conclusion: the Dell seriously outclasses the Mac with a full four times the RAM.

Hard Drives
Mac Pro wins in terms of overall space with 3TB compared to 2.5TB of the Dell Precision, however the Precision gives you the option of 10,000RPM SATA drives with NetBurst cache as well as 15,000RPM SAS drives, both of which are substantially faster than the standard 7200RPM desktop drives that ship in the Mac Pro. The Dell Precision also ships with both SATA & SAS RAID controllers as standard; the Mac Pro offers only an SATA controller as an optional extra.

Conclusion: Mac Pro wins in terms of sheer capacity, but Dell Presision would leave it in the dust in terms of performance (which is higher on the list than capacity in workstation applications anyway), as well as completely outclassing it in terms of data integrity & drive flexibility.

Graphics
The Mac Pro offers a single Quadro FX 4500 card, allowing a dual-monitor setup. The Dell Precision offers dual Qaudro FX4600 cards in SLI, allowing a dual-monitor setup with substantially more power, or alternatively, a dual Quadro FX3500 setup allowing a quad monitor setup with substantially more screen real estate.

Conclusion: Dell Precision wins both in terms of power & real estate.

So I'm afraid I will have to oppose your claim that the Mac Pro is hard to beat for workstation tasks such as video-editing. I agree that the Mac Pro is maybe more 'accessible' to a member of the general public than the Dell Precision, seeming as any old John Smith can walk into an Apple store & purchase a Mac Pro, however that doesn't mean that it is the best in it's field. I only used Dell as an example; if you were to take a look at the catalogues of companies such as Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics Incorporated, Supermicro, etc., you would find that they all offer workstation-class machines of superior specifications to the Mac Pro (or at comparative specifications but at lower prices). In fact, it is companies such as Supermicro who focus their entire product range on high-end workstations/servers that truly dominate this portion of the market.

Oh yes, plus the Precision range has the option of shipping with Linux :)

one argument to rule them all: the Dell Precision does not run Mac OSX.

lost eden
Nov 10, 2007, 02:43 PM
one argument to rule them all: the Dell Precision does not run Mac OSX.
You just had to go & ruin the nice intellectual discussion we had going on, didn't you?

Tucom
Nov 10, 2007, 03:01 PM
I learned something new today :)

Thanks for taking the time to write a very well laid out and informative post. My knowledge has - in the past three minutes - expanded in this area of technology.

You can definitely get more power and speed than the most max spec'd Mac Pro, but will never be able to run OS X specific applications, which may be the deciding factor.

You seem to be quite an advocate of Linux. Which do you prefer, and why?

No intention of hi-jacking this thread folks, keep the pictures coming!

Peace

artic5693
Nov 10, 2007, 03:02 PM
RAM

The Mac Pro can accomodate up to 32 GB of RAM.

RevToTheRedline
Nov 10, 2007, 04:08 PM
Dude, ur gettin a Dell.

xUKHCx
Nov 10, 2007, 04:12 PM

That so

Conclusion: the Dell seriously outclasses the Mac with two times the RAM.

My edit in bold.

RevToTheRedline
Nov 10, 2007, 04:16 PM
I don't really see how 64GB of ram works in the Dell like it says. Unless it requires a memory riser. But it has 8 slots capable of 4GB each, that's 32GB

Which if you buy though Crucial Memory thats $11,000 where as OtherWorldComputing has a 32GB MacPro kit for $3600.

Then again if it's $11,000 for 64GB that's still a lot of money.

artic5693
Nov 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
If it could recongnize 8GB of RAM in each slot, then it would be possible but OH SO COSTLY.

RevToTheRedline
Nov 10, 2007, 05:56 PM
If it could recongnize 8GB of RAM in each slot, then it would be possible but OH SO COSTLY.

64GB of ram or not it still doesn't have OS X

contoursvt
Nov 11, 2007, 01:36 AM
But it will have a current video card and in general a broader selection of software, especially in the games department.

ill0gical0ne
Nov 11, 2007, 03:21 AM
Wtf would you ever use 64GB of ram for? Processors aren't fast enough to even utilize that much, and would therefore just become bottlenecked. Instead of spending $11,000 on ram, I'd rather have an xgrid of 4-5 Mac Pros.

lost eden
Nov 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
The Mac Pro page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/macpro/) claims only 16GiB, as do the options when you customize & buy a Mac Pro.

I don't really see how 64GB of ram works in the Dell like it says.
I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure it does work if they advertise & sell it!

That is hardly the focus of the discussion here, not to mention a very poorly constructed argument in favour of the Mac Pro.

Wtf would you ever use 64GB of ram for? Processors aren't fast enough to even utilize that much, and would therefore just become bottlenecked. Instead of spending $11,000 on ram, I'd rather have an xgrid of 4-5 Mac Pros.
It depends entirely upon application. If you are loading a large file into RAM (upon which you will subsequently work) you require virtually no processing power whatsoever & performance is reliant upon hard drive throughput & RAM capacity. Imagine trying to load a raw 1080i film reel into RAM so that you can edit it; if we assume a resolution of 1920*1080 at 16 bits per pixel at 24fps, then a 2-hour film would be around 667GB. Even at just 8bpp we're still talking 320GB. Once it has been loaded, RAM capacity & hard drive performance will solely govern how responsive the machine is when moving through the reel. It's only once you start applying filters/edits that processing power is brought into the equation.

To give another example where this much RAM would be fully utilised, imagine simulating/synthesizing a complex chip, such as a new multi-core microprocessor, using HDL (Hardware Description Languages). You would soon find yourself consuming humongous quantities of RAM.

There are many more examples that you can look into if you're interested, such as high-resolution biomolecular modelling, running a many-client VM server, etc.

You seem to be quite an advocate of Linux. Which do you prefer, and why?
I definitely prefer Linux over both Windows & OS X (I don't have enough experience in BSD & Solaris to really bring them into the comparison). Windows lacks stability & security, Linux often lacks 'polish'/'finish' & simplicity, & OS X lacks functionality & limits productivity. I'm sure I'll get attacked for that last remark, so I will quickly explain.

In moving from Linux to OS X I found that everything was taking me longer to do, primarily because of simple things, such as the window manager;

the way new Finder windows open on top of each other & have to be relocated before they can be used instead of automaticlly locating in empty space
the way that windows can only be resized from the bottom-right corner so if a window is already situated in the bottom-right of the screen it needs to be dragged further upwards/left before I can make it larger
the lack of a single keyboard shortcut to cycle through ALL windows of ALL applications
the lack of any keyboard shortcut (including Expose) to cylce through minimised windows
in regards to Expose, if I have 2 windows that appear left & right when I press [F9], why does it highlight the right window first when I press left?
the lack of a 'maximise' button for amny applications
the lack of window snapping
when a dialogue box appears with two buttons, why do the arrow keys not cycle between the buttons?
etc.

It is OS X's focus on visually-impressive control over assets that may appeal to many users, as it is a far more intuitive interface, but in terms of raw speed & productivity, other window managers are far superior.

Among other things that I really miss from Linux are a run dialogue, to run any command in the PATH (though Quicksilver comes some way towards achieving this, if at the expense of 50+MB of RAM & installing a third-party application) as well as a package manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_management_system). People who have never used a package manager probably won't realise quite how wonderful they are for centralising installation/uninstallation/upgrades/repairs/etc. of every single app installed on the machine, as well as the base OS itself.

Ignoring the physcailly non-standard keyboard (as that wouldn't be in line in a discussion about operating systems), I also dislike the lack of uniform text-editing shortcuts in OS X, which is another large annoyance to me; in some applications I press [command]+[arrow] to move to the next word, in others it is [ctrl]+[arrow], in others it is [alt]+[arrow]. In some applications [home] will take me to the beginning of the buffer, in others it will take me to the beginning of the current line, etc. Other operating systems manage to provide a standard across all applications, hail they from the OS developer or a third party.

Of course there are features of OS X that I prefer over their counterparts in Linux, however in a comparison of the operating systems as a whole, I would have to give the number one spot to a favorite distribution of Linux.

psychofreak
Nov 11, 2007, 07:13 AM
The Mac Pro page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/macpro/) claims only 16GiB, as do the options when you customize & buy a Mac Pro.You can make it 32 with your own sticks...

EvryDayImShufln
Nov 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
There's no point arguing really since all of lost_eden's points are correct. Personally, I think the mac pro is an amazing machine for a mac user that needs power. Sure, you can get better in a PC, but what do you expect anyway? There are more powerful PC laptops than any mac laptops as well.

These are all probably due to the fact that apple has to pick individual components to use and can't just use everything like Dell or HP can, since they enjoy keeping their product line smaller.

Although a mac pro is no slouch, it's true it can't compare to PC gaming because it doesn't have 8800s.

If it did, I would consider buying one, since 3.5" bays are useless to me personally, and 4 hard drive bays should hold me off, as well as 2 drive bays. Anyhow I game on my MBP for now and that's fine for me :D

artic5693
Nov 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
There's no point arguing really since all of lost_eden's points are correct. Personally, I think the mac pro is an amazing machine for a mac user that needs power. Sure, you can get better in a PC, but what do you expect anyway? There are more powerful PC laptops than any mac laptops as well.

These are all probably due to the fact that apple has to pick individual components to use and can't just use everything like Dell or HP can, since they enjoy keeping their product line smaller.

Although a mac pro is no slouch, it's true it can't compare to PC gaming because it doesn't have 8800s.

If it did, I would consider buying one, since 3.5" bays are useless to me personally, and 4 hard drive bays should hold me off, as well as 2 drive bays. Anyhow I game on my MBP for now and that's fine for me :D

You are correct, but lost eden is not, to the FULL extent. Apple's Online Store does only go up to 16GB of BTO RAM, which would be stupid to buy through Apple anyway. But, look on Intel's website and I guarantee you that it will say somewhere that the Clovertown? processors support up to a full 32 GB of RAM.

Macs have never been considered ultimate gaming machines, for one because of no Direct X, only OpenGL.

EvryDayImShufln
Nov 12, 2007, 09:35 PM
You are correct, but lost eden is not, to the FULL extent. Apple's Online Store does only go up to 16GB of BTO RAM, which would be stupid to buy through Apple anyway. But, look on Intel's website and I guarantee you that it will say somwhere that the Clovertown? processors support up to a full 32 GB of RAM.

Macs have never been considered ultimate gaming machines, for one because of no Direct X, only OpenGL.

But at least now that they have bootcamp the mac pro can truly be a gaming machine, providing it supported 8800s or something. The G5 tower was also a beast but couldn't run windows natively through bootcamp, which to me and alot of other occasional/hardcore gamers is a deal breaker if we were to buy it to play games as well.

lost eden
Nov 13, 2007, 07:48 AM
You are correct, but lost eden is not, to the FULL extent. Apple's Online Store does only go up to 16GB of BTO RAM, which would be stupid to buy through Apple anyway. But, look on Intel's website and I guarantee you that it will say somwhere that the Clovertown? processors support up to a full 32 GB of RAM.

After quickly checking around on the web, it does indeed seem that you can upgrade a Mac Pro to a full 32GiB of RAM using third-party hardware. It seems somewhat strange, therefore, that the Apple website doesn't give the user that option at configuration & sale? Maybe they think the price is just too much & nobody (or at least not enough people) would take the option?

Supa_Fly
Nov 16, 2007, 12:55 AM
I definitely prefer Linux over both Windows & OS X (I don't have enough experience in BSD & Solaris to really bring them into the comparison). Windows lacks stability & security, Linux often lacks 'polish'/'finish' & simplicity, & OS X lacks functionality & limits productivity. I'm sure I'll get attacked for that last remark, so I will quickly explain.

In moving from Linux to OS X I found that everything was taking me longer to do, primarily because of simple things, such as the window manager;

the way new Finder windows open on top of each other & have to be relocated before they can be used instead of automaticlly locating in empty space
the way that windows can only be resized from the bottom-right corner so if a window is already situated in the bottom-right of the screen it needs to be dragged further upwards/left before I can make it larger
the lack of a single keyboard shortcut to cycle through ALL windows of ALL applications
the lack of any keyboard shortcut (including Expose) to cylce through minimised windows
in regards to Expose, if I have 2 windows that appear left & right when I press [F9], why does it highlight the right window first when I press left?
the lack of window snapping
when a dialogue box appears with two buttons, why do the arrow keys not cycle between the buttons?
etc.

I haven't used Mac OS X for long and it was VERY LONG ago since my last visit to it. From what I recollect you're wrong on a few points.

the lack of any keyboard shortcut (including Expose) to cylce through minimised windows.
- This is an innovation of Mac OS X for many years now ... you can (I'm thinking the command of windows here so don't shoot me) ALt+Tab through ALL windows of ALL running apps (that have a gui window to interface with including Terminal) and you can ALt+****+Tab through all windows of a DESIRED app. You STILL cannot do this natively in WinXP/ME/98SE/Vista.

- I think this is turned off by default. Unsure though.

- Keyboard shortcut (unknown to the both of us)?

- take a look at my first rebuttal.

- This annoys me BIG-TIME with QuickTime & Safari for WinXP; but I do recall being able to resize from side borders as well; not sure if this was taken away though since Panther.

BTW, WHY are you migrating from Linux to Mac OS X anyway?
also note that even Linus was caught working in OS X for months while starting with Transmeta.

roker
Nov 16, 2007, 02:52 AM
Wow, some fantastic points made here! But can I just add, my 6 1/2 y/o PowerMac is still very functional (in the sense that it still works, incredibly well, unlike the P3 dell I scrapped a few weeks ago). While it would be very expensive & difficult to upgrade most of it's components such as the CPU (& the hdd's :(), I have little need to as it still functions, not all of us edit 600Gb videos. :p ;)

lost eden
Nov 16, 2007, 04:00 AM
BTW, WHY are you migrating from Linux to Mac OS X anyway?
Student discount made the MacBook noticeably cheaper than a similarily specced ThinkPad. In hindsight, I wish I had plumped the extra cash for the ThinkPad :(

Wow, some fantastic points made here! But can I just add, my 6 1/2 y/o PowerMac is still very functional (in the sense that it still works, incredibly well, unlike the P3 dell I scrapped a few weeks ago).
This is really a very bad argument, because ALL computer hardware, be it Mac or IBM-compat, ages at the same rate. A P3 Dell is just as functional as a 6.5yo PowerMac unless you do something stupid like try to install Vista with Aero Glass.

Roba
Nov 23, 2007, 07:38 AM
I don't know if this the best picture but this is my current setup. Maybe if Apple brings out a thin and light notebook with a dvd burner and a dedicated GPU i might think about replacing it.
Specs are 2.2 LED. Vista Ultimate 3GB. 250 5400.1GB Intel Turbo Memory.2GB Ready Boost. Fingerprint reader. N Wifi. Bluetooth. 8400GS. I also got it with a 4 year warranty at a pretty great price.

http://usera.imagecave.com/picturesmac/pwxps.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/picturesmac/lidxps.jpg

I have had 2 MBP's in the past and 1 iBook and one Apple Clamshell. Before then i was using PC notebooks.

idesign245
Nov 23, 2007, 05:02 PM
So I got my new iMac 24" 2.4ghz today!! Picked up a printer to go along with it thanks to the rebate too.

The screen on this baby is gorgeous!!!

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v148/124/109/503744977/n503744977_171091_1173.jpg

oops... lol just realized this was the wrong thread!
*duh* admins, feel free to move/delete
Sorry!

zioxide
Nov 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
So I got my new iMac 24" 2.4ghz today!! Picked up a printer to go along with it thanks to the rebate too.

The screen on this baby is gorgeous!!!

[/IMG]http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v148/124/109/503744977/n503744977_171091_1173.jpg[/IMG]

pssst... this is the windows setup thread. :P

SXR
Dec 1, 2007, 04:58 AM
Your signature should most definitely be shut down while you're at it. :D

lmao. Heres my setup , it will last until i get my MAC!

http://michelstorage.info/pics/pcsetup.jpg

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2 GHZ
512 MB RAM
120 GB HDD
OnBoard "Crap" video "card"

i've made it as much apple as I could..

iMpathetic
Feb 10, 2008, 10:27 AM
Just started another thread with the same topic, did a quick search, but found nothing... :confused:

But, this thread or one like it deserves to live!!!!

The ThinkPad is a 15" T60. And, I hate to say this, it pwns any CD MacBook.

2GHz Core Duo
1GB RAM
100GB HD
15" 1400x1050 Flexview LCD
128MB ATi Radeon X1400 with 128MB VRAM
XP Pro
DVD burner
6 lbs

The little thing is a Sony VAIO PCG-TR3A.

1GHz ULV Pentium M
1GB RAM
40GB HD
10.6'' 1280x800 glossy LCD
Intel graphics
DVD/CDRW
XP Pro
3lbs

swmr
Feb 12, 2008, 08:09 PM
This is my current desktop. Computer specs are in the sig. I am still waiting on the MBP updates to buy, but I don't need it till next year so [unfortunately] no rush. I JUST switched to the default XP theme, but yesterday I have an alienware theme running. I also use an alienware dock that is as close to :apple:OSX that I can find.

ReanimationLP
Feb 12, 2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, it is Widescreen. I have it set at 1920x1200.

Looking at the picture, it does appear to be a Widescreen. If it is, I believe it's one of the first Widescreen CRT's I've seen, with the exception of Widescreen CRT HDTV's. I'm also curious about the resolution. I'd say 1920x1200 if it's a Widescreen. Just guessing, though.

Correct. This monitor is one of the very few, if not only option for a widescreen CRT that I've seen. It is at 1920x1200. These monitors were also rebranded as HP, Sun, and a few others.

Since my last post, I went from having a 2.8 to a 3 GHz OC'ed to 3.4 GHz, and from having 690 GB of HD space to 1,550 GB of space (1.5TB)\

My next upgrade is going to be from a Pentium4 to an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, with 2GB of DDR2 memory.

FadeToBlack
Feb 12, 2008, 11:54 PM
Correct. This monitor is one of the very few, if not only option for a widescreen CRT that I've seen. It is at 1920x1200. These monitors were also rebranded as HP, Sun, and a few others.

Wow man, I didn't even remember making that post. :p

That's cool, though - a widescreen CRT monitor. Definitely the first one I've seen, and very cool, I must say.

ReanimationLP
Feb 13, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wow man, I didn't even remember making that post. :p

That's cool, though - a widescreen CRT monitor. Definitely the first one I've seen, and very cool, I must say.

Yeah, the colors are amazing like an LCD, the blacks are deep and rich like a plasma, then you have the CRT advantage of allowing all sorts of resolutions without scaling to crap and back. :D

Only problem?

It weighs close to 100 lbs, and takes a lot of room. You can hook two computers up to it.

I believe the original price was close to 3,000 dollars, it was like 2,700 before tax/shipping.

I paid 0 for it. Was given it from the local community college at the computer user group I volunteer at, as they thought it was dead. :D

I musta swallowed a ton of pain medication after moving that down a flight of stairs.

GoCubsGo
Feb 13, 2008, 12:42 AM
I don't know if this the best picture but this is my current setup. Maybe if Apple brings out a thin and light notebook with a dvd burner and a dedicated GPU i might think about replacing it.
Specs are 2.2 LED. Vista Ultimate 3GB. 250 5400.1GB Intel Turbo Memory.2GB Ready Boost. Fingerprint reader. N Wifi. Bluetooth. 8400GS. I also got it with a 4 year warranty at a pretty great price.

http://usera.imagecave.com/picturesmac/pwxps.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/picturesmac/lidxps.jpg

I have had 2 MBP's in the past and 1 iBook and one Apple Clamshell. Before then i was using PC notebooks.
I do like that dell. It's pretty actually. :)

FadeToBlack
Feb 13, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yeah, the colors are amazing like an LCD, the blacks are deep and rich like a plasma, then you have the CRT advantage of allowing all sorts of resolutions without scaling to crap and back. :D

Only problem?

It weighs close to 100 lbs, and takes a lot of room. You can hook two computers up to it.

I believe the original price was close to 3,000 dollars, it was like 2,700 before tax/shipping.

I paid 0 for it. Was given it from the local community college at the computer user group I volunteer at, as they thought it was dead. :D

I musta swallowed a ton of pain medication after moving that down a flight of stairs.

That's the thing I hate about CRT's, the weight and how much room they take up. That IS an awesome CRT you've got, though. And the price - WOW! That's insane.

BlakTornado
Feb 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
My poor neglected PC with my old Mighty Mouse laying on it's keyboard (I'm a stop motion animator which is why I have all that clay over there - bit messy but I never use my PC... Until recently I used my PC to capture frames but MacHeist provided me with iStopmotion :) Good stuff. My PC is currently waiting there until I can afford an external hard drive to transfer everything onto my iMac. It's ethernet is too old and any wireless transfer takes too long, hogs my router and gets interrupted)

Anyway, my PC:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2717/pc01gu2.jpg

I swear I didn't fiddle around with it to make it look less appealing! XD

Because I swear this picture (http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1340/imacaperture2testoa0.jpg) wasn't taken in the same room under the same lighting conditions :P

minicoop503
Feb 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
this is my windows setup, which I'm perfectly happy with. It's a little messy too, oh well.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6022/img1945ry4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

(The 2nd monitor on the right is no longer there, it broke :confused:)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3485/img1947qy9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

At least I have a mac sticker :)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4750/img1949vu9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Specs:
e6300 overclocked to 3.01 ghz
2 gigs ddr2 800
8800GT
Gigabyte DS3-L motherboard
320 gig seagate hard drive, sata 3 gb/s.
Antec 900
HP w2007 monitor
Logitech z2300 speakers
320 gig external hard drive

Plays any game I throw at it :)

I used to have a Celeron D @ 3.2 ghz and a ati radeon x300. That sucked...

November
Mar 1, 2008, 07:04 PM
My server/gaming box:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0497.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0495.jpg

Specs:
CPU: Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz
HSF: Noctua NH-U12F w/ Noctua NF-S12
MoBo: Gigabyte 965P-S3 Rev 3.3
RAM: 4GB Transcend DDR2-667
GFX: Sapphire x1950PRO 256mb
HDD1: 250gb WD (on SATA)
HDD2: 320gb WD (on SATA)
HDD3: 500gb WD (on SATA)
Optical: LG GSA-H62N SATA
Case: Antec P182b w/ Noctua NF-S12
PSU: Corsair HX-620 620W
Display: 22" Chimei CMV 221D
Display: 17" LG L1719S
Speakers: Logitech X-230
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506
KeyBoard: Logitech Ultra-Flat
Mouse: Logitech G5

minicoop503
Mar 2, 2008, 08:12 AM
That video card is probably bottlenecking that whole system.

The x1950 is sort of old by today's standards.

ctt1wbw
Mar 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
Here's my two Dells:

November
Mar 2, 2008, 05:58 PM
That video card is probably bottlenecking that whole system.

The x1950 is sort of old by today's standards.

Yeah it is for sure. Thing hits the high 90's (c) when playing orange box.

Either gonna get a 9600gt in a few days or hold out till the 9800gt's come around... not sure yet

iMpathetic
Mar 2, 2008, 05:58 PM
Here's my two Dells:

Are you fond of them?

ctt1wbw
Mar 2, 2008, 11:47 PM
Are you fond of them?

I like Dell laptops. Because Dell doesn't make them.:)

lost eden
Mar 3, 2008, 05:15 AM
And Apple doesn't make Apple laptops! Isn't the world a wonderful place?

iMpathetic
Mar 3, 2008, 06:51 AM

Well, to tell you the truth, I very much like the looks of the one on the left. The one on the right would be fond-able, I guess, if it didn't have the number pad.

ctt1wbw
Mar 3, 2008, 07:30 AM
The one on the left was running Ubuntu at the time. The one on the right has since been sold to my wife for her small business. I used the money from that to buy a Macbook Air. Now the 15" Dell sits all lonely on the table. :)

And Apple doesn't make Apple laptops! Isn't the world a wonderful place?

Well, yeah it is. I was trying make a point about Dell laptops. Most everyone says they're piles of crap because they're Dells. Most people don't understand that Dell doesn't make them. I forget the actual company, Quanta, is it?

I actually can't remember the name of the company that makes the Macpro and Macbooks either.

lost eden
Mar 3, 2008, 09:22 AM
Most people don't understand that Dell doesn't make them. I forget the actual company, Quanta, is it?

I actually can't remember the name of the company that makes the Macpro and Macbooks either.
MacBooks are made by Asus, but I'm not sure about MacBook Pros. Incidentally, as you mentioned them, Quanta landed the contract for the MacBook Air.

SanFranOwl
Mar 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
My PC setup at college. I also have a Macbook I use as a portable computer, so it doesn't really have a "setup". My PC is getting a little old, but back in the day it was a pretty nice computer: Pentium M 2.0 GHz w/ 2.00 GB Ram, 80 GB 7400rpm hd, nVidia GeForce Go 6800, 17" 1900x1200 glossy screen. I also use it as a TV and DVR w/ Windows Media Center (XP).

cherry su
Mar 9, 2008, 01:01 PM
Here is mine from a month or two ago. The PowerMac G4 tower was replaced with a headless G5 system that I hooked up to my main LCD :D

Screens:
Dell 2005FPW, Dell 1800FP, Viewsonic Viewpanel VPA150 (on its side)

Tower:
AMD Athlon 3500+ (Newcastle)
Dual DVD Burners (one 16x dual layer)
1GB (2x512MB) OCZ DDR400
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB (not a gamer ;))
36GB 10,000RPM Raptor
160GB Western Digital 7,200RPM
160GB Maxtor 7,200RPM
200GB Western Digital 7,200RPM (in enclosure)

Unfortunately I'm still on the PC most of the time because my headless G5 doesn't support at least dual monitors, which I have become oh so accustomed to. :(

http://www.baconmonster.com/DSC_0001_small.JPG (http://www.baconmonster.com/DSC_0001.JPG)

Woah, an 18" Flat Panel! Those are quite rare!

iMpathetic
Mar 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
My PC setup at college. I also have a Macbook I use as a portable computer, so it doesn't really have a "setup". My PC is getting a little old, but back in the day it was a pretty nice computer: Pentium M 2.0 GHz w/ 2.00 GB Ram, 80 GB 7400rpm hd, nVidia GeForce Go 6800, 17" 1900x1200 glossy screen. I also use it as a TV and DVR w/ Windows Media Center (XP).

Whoa! :eek:

I never thought I'd say this, but that is one sexy Windows setup.

Nice!

techlover828
Mar 11, 2008, 06:20 PM

Nice!

ya, and what looks to be a really nice room/view, where do you go to college?

csa9
Mar 12, 2008, 12:59 AM
2007FPW
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/boneca/Computers/P1000809.jpg
2005FPW - 2007FPW - 2005FPW (B&W)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/boneca/Computers/P1000818.jpg
2005FPW - 2007FPW - 2005FPW (Color)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/boneca/Computers/P1000817.jpg
Apple Cinema 20" - 2005FPW - 2007FPW - 2005FPW (Color)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/boneca/Computers/P1000813.jpg

what i want to know is where do you get a wallpaper that big?

SanFranOwl
Mar 12, 2008, 10:27 PM

Nice!

Thanks!

ya, and what looks to be a really nice room/view, where do you go to college?

I go to Rice University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_University) in Houston, Texas. At Rice we're fortunate to have a beautiful campus - I'm especially lucky because I get to enjoy the view through a huge corner window.

aaron.lee2006
Mar 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Zero1515/IMG_4651.jpg

Computer:
2.66 Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
250 GB HD
8600 GT OC
Windows XP Professional

Accessories:
- Sennheiser HD 570s
- Sony MHC-GX20 Stereo connected to the PC
- LaCie 500GB External HD
- HP dc5000 plugged into satellite dish to record tv
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0

Not Pictured:
Logitech USB Headset

SkyBell
Apr 15, 2008, 09:00 PM
After two years I finally fixed my PC!

HP Pavillion
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
80 GB HDD
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Yeah, I know it sucks)
Windows XP Home Edition

I might up the RAM to 1GB, but only after I do the same to my iBook. :)

HckySo
Apr 16, 2008, 03:37 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2064/2278211312_f1b61d7942_b.jpg

iMpathetic
Apr 16, 2008, 03:51 PM
After two years I finally fixed my PC!

HP Pavillion
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
80 GB HDD
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Yeah, I know it sucks)
Windows XP Home Edition

I might up the RAM to 1GB, but only after I do the same to my iBook. :)

Yay! Now you can stop talking about my PCs! You, too, have a skeleton in your closet! :•]

waynesun
Apr 20, 2008, 11:45 PM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v239/42/56/1333170187/n1333170187_30211344_2747.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v239/42/56/1333170187/n1333170187_30211342_1352.jpg

She's a WIP :p.
My PC is a Dell Inspiron 600M, nothing special!

airjuggernaut
Apr 21, 2008, 01:06 AM
wow haven't seen an addition to this thread in a while.

iMpathetic
Apr 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
That's actually a pretty cool setup right there!

pagansoul
Apr 27, 2008, 10:29 AM
My old Gatway (2.6 GHz/512 MB RAM/80GB HD) still works but only my neighbor's son uses it. It shares a desk with my canon printer. I use my Mac Pro at home and Blackbook when traveling.

SkyBell
Apr 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
My old Gatway (2.6 GHz/512 MB RAM/80GB HD) still works but only my neighbor's son uses it. It shares a desk with my canon printer. I use my Mac Pro at home and Blackbook when traveling.
I gotta say, that's a pretty cool looking Gateway. What's the model?

pagansoul
Apr 27, 2008, 01:17 PM
It's called a Profile 5. They came out about 5 years ago. It was Gateways answer to the iMac, the All-in-One PC. It does have a nice small foot-print. Mine is the 17inch. Webshots does look fine on it. The second shot is of my MacPro, I use a 26inch HDTV as the monitor.

SamNeeds
Apr 29, 2008, 01:46 AM

Nice set up. Simple. Can you elaborate a bit more on the audio set up?

iFool
May 2, 2008, 01:34 AM
I just got Virtual PC 7 With Windows XP Home, and it's awesome, I've only got 300Mb HD space due to the fact that just before I finished setting it up, I accidentally pulled the power cord, so I had Install it again, anyway, It's awesome, an it run so smoothly.

ReanimationLP
May 2, 2008, 02:04 AM
I just got Virtual PC 7 With Windows XP Home, and it's awesome, I've only got 300Mb HD space due to the fact that just before I finished setting it up, I accidentally pulled the power cord, so I had Install it again, anyway, It's awesome, an it run so smoothly.

Dude, no offense to you, but I'm laughing so hard right now.

If you think its smooth, go use a Pentium 3 or 4 based PC. Even a lowend P3 running XP Home flys in comparision to Virtual PC.

pacmania1982
May 2, 2008, 04:48 AM
Here's my Windows setup - I don't have a PC at home, so I thought I'd post my work desktop

Lenovo T60:-
Windows Vista Business with SP1 (and hating it)
60GB HDD
2GB RAM

22" Lenovo display
1650x1080

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000

Cisco IP Phone 7911 Series with no handset as I use my Plantronics CS60 wireless headset

I've attached my current wallpaper too. I took this on the Brooklyn Bridge back in September 2007 with my Canon EOS 400d (Digital Rebel XTi).

pac

iMpathetic
May 3, 2008, 06:19 AM
Why not show off your business laptop goodness?

I've got a Z61t, and I'm proud of it, by golly. :p

iFool
May 4, 2008, 12:58 PM
Dude, no offense to you, but I'm laughing so hard right now.

If you think its smooth, go use a Pentium 3 or 4 based PC. Even a lowend P3 running XP Home flys in comparision to Virtual PC.

Yes.It's slow, incredibly slow. I guess I was just surprised that it didn't completely grind to a halt even while idle, and it may as well belong to Nasa compared to Puppy Linux in Q.

lost eden
May 4, 2008, 01:11 PM
This thread needs to be renamed to 'Post Your PC Setup' instead of 'Post Your Windows Setup'. This is my 64-bit Archlinux machine;

http://lab-cs1.cs.st-and.ac.uk/~060005151/public_repository/scratch/yuzuki_april_08.jpg

http://lab-cs1.cs.st-and.ac.uk/~060005151/public_repository/scratch/yuzuki_april_08_2.jpg

http://lab-cs1.cs.st-and.ac.uk/~060005151/public_repository/scratch/desk+may+08_02.jpg

http://lab-cs1.cs.st-and.ac.uk/~060005151/public_repository/scratch/desk+may+08.jpg

iMpathetic
May 4, 2008, 01:16 PM
What do you use it for?

silbeej
May 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v239/42/56/1333170187/n1333170187_30211342_1352.jpg

You put up your free Nikon Poster, nice.

lost eden
May 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
What do you use it for?
Pretty much everything. Web browsing, IRC, music/video/DVD (it's connected to my TV & hi-fi), coding/development, spot of gaming, etc. It's my main machine, I only use my MacBook for Adobe software (Photoshop, Lightroom) & when I'm on the go.

iMpathetic
May 4, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ah, quite so.

Anyway, my POS camera is getting fired up. I figured I'd get y'all some photos of the laptops I'm using currently.

Ah, here we go:

Kaiser Phoenix
May 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
Heres mine!

Chrismcfall
May 4, 2008, 04:43 PM
The little thing is a Sony VAIO PCG-TR3A.

1GHz ULV Pentium M
1GB RAM
40GB HD
10.6'' 1280x800 glossy LCD
Intel graphics
DVD/CDRW
XP Pro
3lbs
I want.

iMpathetic
May 4, 2008, 05:29 PM
I want.

I don't really use it, how's $200 sound?
just kidding

Chrismcfall
May 4, 2008, 05:39 PM
PMd :)

iJohnHenry
May 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
A love connection.

Me like.

silbeej, I'll match you with my EV floor monitors. :p

iMpathetic
May 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't really use it, how's $200 sound?
just kidding

Sorry, but... ^^^

It belongs to Duke University, technically.:(

iJohnHenry
May 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
I believe that is called "conversion". :D

waynesun
May 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
You put up your free Nikon Poster, nice.
Hah, yeah.. gotta love them freebies. The wall felt empty without it!

Nice set up. Simple. Can you elaborate a bit more on the audio set up?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier bro! Just got your PM.. and came to check on this thread.

Monitors are KRK RP-5's: Guitar Center is currently having a clearance.. 99.00/monitor (which makes it almost a steal at $200.00/pair for these monitors). The Yamaha HS50M monitors sounded clearer, but at my age and budget, the RP5's suited me well. I migrated from Logitech Z-4's.. although I had the sub back then, there's nothing better than fuller and more accurate sound.

Audio Interface: M-Audio MobilePre, connected with 1/4'' cables via USB

That's actually a pretty cool setup right there!

Thanx bro. Will be on Mac when I go off to college.. but this has done me well enough for the past 4-5 years!

iMpathetic
May 5, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanx bro. Will be on Mac when I go off to college.. but this has done me well enough for the past 4-5 years!

Where exactly is the laptop in your setup? Also, how about a pic of the laptop itself? :D

waynesun
May 5, 2008, 09:01 PM
Where exactly is the laptop in your setup? Also, how about a pic of the laptop itself? :D

Heh, it's one ugly machine.. don't say I didn't warn you. It's located beneath my desk (to catch cooler air in the summer.. because of the plague of overheating issues i've had).

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/3268.jpg
Image taken from notebook review, i've got a nice, black burn mark on the pad beneath my left hand to remind me of the unmatched build quality of a Dell. :D

ayeying
May 6, 2008, 01:28 AM
I actually liked the Dell 600m/8600 models. They were really good dell laptops, apart from the weird blue colors and the obvious cheap plastic.

iMpathetic
May 6, 2008, 07:07 AM
You know, it actually doesn't look bad compared to some other PCs of the era.

Here's what I want though.....
http://images.pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/115850-2206P060_2B.jpg

ayeying
May 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
the XPS gen 1 and 9100 were the WORST laptops made imo. Too thick (nearly 2 inches) and runs incredibly HOT due to the Pentium 4 processor. Their gaming capabilities weren't too bad though.

iMpathetic
May 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but they weren't exactly made to be used on the lap.

I saw one with a 3.4GHz PXE, 2GB RAM, a 60GB 7200RPM disk, a 1 hour battery, Vista Ultimate, an extra charger, and a backpack go for $530 on eBay.

My dad was being an a$$hole though, and pretended he didn't know how to use eBay when he full well did. :mad:

italiano40
May 6, 2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/07/averatec_2260x.jpg

here is my windows setup

lost eden
May 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
My dad was being an a$$hole though, and pretended he didn't know how to use eBay when he full well did. :mad:
... why do you need your Dad to do it? Or are you under 16?

iMpathetic
May 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
... why do you need your Dad to do it? Or are you under 16?

I am 14, unfortunately. :o

Metal425
May 18, 2008, 01:36 AM
My Gaming Rig, Specs are in my sig.
My 24" Samsung Monitor(1920x1200)
And other stuff... :p

Adding framed posters on my wall in the next couple of days, to make it less bland.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/bodom425/IMG_4192.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/bodom425/IMG_4191.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/bodom425/IMG_4193.jpg

tr0jan
May 18, 2008, 01:46 AM
haha my old old pc.. this was my last pc - sold the whole stuff long time ago and now i have an only-mac-household..

http://thomi.apfelcouch.de/bilder/albums/macintosh/pc.jpg

Kankki
May 18, 2008, 05:50 AM
Past:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1655/bild022vi6.jpg

Present:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2795/picture1ht0.png

Adokimus
May 19, 2008, 08:46 PM

I saw one with a 3.4GHz PXE, 2GB RAM, a 60GB 7200RPM disk, a 1 hour battery, Vista Ultimate, an extra charger, and a backpack go for $530 on eBay.

That's my exact (older) computer. It was kind of surprise to see it here. I maxxed everything out at the time: 3.4 GHz with hyper-threading, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB 7,200 RPM HDD, extra battery, primary battery with subwoofer, ATI Radeon discrete graphics, WUXGA (1920x1200) matte 15" screen, XPS backpack, alternate scull design clip-on lid cover, DVD-RW, etc.....

So, how much is it worth to you? Not turning this into a marketplace post, just curious on what I would be able to get for it.

Peace,

Ado

SkyBell
May 20, 2008, 12:29 AM

I'm sorry, but between how ugly that thing looks, and the bolded text, I would have to call that an "epic fail"

A one hour battery? I mean, come on...

lost eden
May 20, 2008, 02:55 AM
So? Laptops like that aren't designed for extended use on the go. I mean the Sager NP9261 with a quad core, 2x graphics cards in SLI & 3 hard drives in RAID5 probably get's less than an hour, but then it's intended that you spend most of the time with it plugged into AC.

iMpathetic
May 20, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, but between how ugly that thing looks, and the bolded text, I would have to call that an "epic fail"

This from the girl who calls PPC "more efficient"... :rolleyes:

SkyBell
May 20, 2008, 05:16 PM
This from the girl who calls PPC "more efficient"... :rolleyes:

How is that statement relevant at all?

iMpathetic
May 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
How is that statement relevant at all?

Oh, it's just that you consider the XPS to be a fail, when your opinion was an epic failure in times past.:D

SkyBell
May 20, 2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, it's just that you consider the XPS to be a fail, when your opinion was an epic failure in times past.:D

I'm pretty sure opinions can't be proven or disproven, and I still stand by mine. What makes one an "epic fail"?

iMpathetic
May 20, 2008, 08:49 PM
In that case, your evaluation of the XPS is meaningless.

SkyBell
May 20, 2008, 08:53 PM
In that case, your evaluation of the XPS is meaningless.

As is yours, and everyone else who has never owned one.

It wasn't meant to be relevent, it's my opinion!

November
May 20, 2008, 09:12 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0497.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0496.jpg

OMFG HAXX!
Jun 11, 2008, 01:22 PM

Hell, that's more than my desktop gets :rolleyes:

Knapman
Jun 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
Got my computer setup in the basement so I can use all of my desk for studying.
This setup will probably stay for the summer, cause its nice and cool down there. Except I think I might just move down here and get it finished. :o
I'm thinking about getting a macbook soonish. Hmm...

Dell XPS:
e6600
2GB
8800GTX 768mb :P
250GB HDD
DVD Burner

The Monitors are a 22" Samsung 226BW and some LG Flatron 20".

7.1 Creative speakers, they're meh.
Logitech Cordless G7, Logitech G5

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4717/dscn4494sz1.th.jpg (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn4494sz1.jpg)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7633/dscn4495nq0.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn4495nq0.jpg)

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8661/dscn4496dh8.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn4496dh8.jpg)

shfreelance
Jun 12, 2008, 01:27 AM
I had this for a week and hated it so much I took it back. That and the heatsink came loose.... I took it back and after a long decision. I decided what the hell it was time to try a mac. So glad I did.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/SHCustoms/Desk004.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/SHCustoms/Desk005.jpghttp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/SHCustoms/Desk006.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/SHCustoms/Desk003.jpg
Current:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/SHCustoms/IMG_0996.jpg

ayeying
Jun 12, 2008, 11:13 AM
That sucks the dell didn't work out. But at least you got a Mac :)

I had a Dell Vostro 200, basically same as yours but all black. Great cheapo gaming machine. Im sad to let it go.. but I don't even game so keeping that computer in my room was just collecting dust.

contoursvt
Jun 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Here is my Q6600 box with 8GB RAM, 8800GT and 4 drives (2x SCSI and 2x SATA). Running Vista64.

http://powerthings.com/pics/p180/outside1.jpg

http://powerthings.com/pics/p180/inside3.jpg

iMpathetic
Jun 13, 2008, 06:31 AM
Do you find that case a little cramped to work in?

*got home from trying to manage cables in an NZXT Lexa (http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/) with a 4-drive RAID, SLI, and water cooling*

richard.mac
Jun 13, 2008, 06:48 AM
^^ nice! hows that Zalman fan compared to the 90mm vertical one? what ASUS mobo is that, P5N…? also whats SCSI, is it faster than SATA 3 Gb/s?

contoursvt
Jun 13, 2008, 10:42 AM
Not at all since the drive bays slide right out. Only thing is the PSU cables cannot be too short or you'll have problems making it look neat and tidy.

Do you find that case a little cramped to work in?

*got home from trying to manage cables in an NZXT Lexa (http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/) with a 4-drive RAID, SLI, and water cooling*

contoursvt
Jun 13, 2008, 11:06 AM
:) That zalman is ancient. I picked it up sometime in 2003 when I was building my P4 3Ghz computer. It was way overkill for that time. Since I picked up the quad core, I wanted to see how this cooler would do on the new four core. Went and got a socket 775 adapter for the cooler for $10 (zalman sells them) and you know what, its very good. I'd say it cools a tad better than the stock intel cooler, a little quieter and it mounts from the rear so no danger of plastic clips popping off (I hate the stock intel cooler).

The Motherboard is a bit older now too. Its a P5WDG2-WS Professional based on the 975X chipset. I got this board because it had some PCI-X slots for my SCSI adapter.

As for the SCSI stuff. My controller is only ultra 160 but the drives are ultra 320. I got about 103 megs/sec at the begining of the drive and about 70 at the end. It averages out in the 80's somewhere. The nice thing is the access time which is only 5.9ms. That an the intelligence with SCSI. I find that I can slam the system really hard and it doesnt really suffer like my other SATA systems do.

^^ nice! hows that Zalman fan compared to the 90mm vertical one? what ASUS mobo is that, P5N…? also whats SCSI, is it faster than SATA 3 Gb/s?

iMpathetic
Jun 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Not at all since the drive bays slide right out. Only thing is the PSU cables cannot be too short or you'll have problems making it look neat and tidy.

That consoles me.... my first and only build is in a case 25" tall so I'm kinda scared of mid towers. :p

tonie
Jun 13, 2008, 08:03 PM
nice rig and speakers contoursvt.

lost eden
Jun 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
That consoles me.... my first and only build is in a case 25" tall so I'm kinda scared of mid towers. :p
Hah, when I was 14 I built a full system into a 13" tall case. Full ATX motherboard, huge Thermaltake Silent Tower heatsink (ducted to 120mm fans rather than 92mm), FX5900XT with Arctic Silencer, 2x optical drives, 2x hard drives in removable 5.25" cradles & another hard drive on top of that. Fitting it all in was quite some challenge :) Pity I don't have it any more, transferred it into a larger case when the PSU blew.

iMpathetic
Jun 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hah, when I was 14 I built a full system into a 13" tall case. Full ATX motherboard, huge Thermaltake Silent Tower heatsink (ducted to 120mm fans rather than 92mm), FX5900XT with Arctic Silencer, 2x optical drives, 2x hard drives in removable 5.25" cradles & another hard drive on top of that. Fitting it all in was quite some challenge :) Pity I don't have it any more, transferred it into a larger case when the PSU blew.

Know what?

I almost stabbed a cooling tube on the Lexa I was working on with a Phillips head screwdriver.

My friend: "What was that?"
Me: "Oh, um, that's the twin cooling gigs firing up." :p

pointandclick
Jun 14, 2008, 07:56 PM
Here is my Q6600 box with 8GB RAM, 8800GT and 4 drives (2x SCSI and 2x SATA). Running Vista64.

That's one of the best looking cases I've ever seen. I always buy the cheapo $25 tin cans because most of the expensive ones don't look that good to me. Only wish the ports were centered, I like things symmetrical, which you can never find either.

I would like to build a case like a mac pro, just need to figure out how to do the holes. One mess up drilling and it's all messed up. Maybe a pattern, like a stencil that you can line up.

toolbox
Jun 14, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have more setups, but i can't find the photos, here are the 2 that i have

First Setup (Left)

Items on Desk

1. Computer - Running a P4 2.4 Ghz oc'ed to 2.6. 512MB, Geforce 5200, 1x 80gig WD HDD, 1x 120 WD HDD.
2. 15inch CRT
3. KVM Switch ( control 2 computers with 1 keyboard,mouse,screen
4. CD Wallet
5. Speakers
6. CD stacker
7. DOOM3 and 24 Season 1

Not Shown Toshiba A30 (which i still have)

Second Setup (Right)

Items on Desk

1. Dual 22 inch Samsung LCDs 226BW @ 1680x1050
2. Logitech 5.1 Speakers
3. Airport
4. Logitech Keyboard
5. Microsoft Mouse
6. Currently listening to Rammstien live in berlin whilst cleaning up

Not Shown

1. Computer - Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHZ over clocked to 2.8. 2 GB OZ Reaper Sli Ram. Geforce 8800GT, 1x 160GB, 1x 250GB 2, 500GB, Asus Striker extreme Motherboard. All housed in a Black Lian Li case.
2. Black Macbook which sits on pc. If you notice the second LCD on the right is connected to the mac via mini DVI.

I am still ineed to hide those cables but that will happen later

lost eden
Jun 15, 2008, 02:50 AM
That's one of the best looking cases I've ever seen. I always buy the cheapo $25 tin cans because most of the expensive ones don't look that good to me. Only wish the ports were centered, I like things symmetrical, which you can never find either.
You should see the mirror finish special edition;
http://www.casedesigns.net/wp-content/antec-p182-1.jpg

It's black on the inside too;
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/p182se03.jpg

pointandclick
Jun 15, 2008, 07:39 AM
You should see the mirror finish special edition;

It's black on the inside too;

I think I like the brushed better. Not to mention fingerprints.:eek:
Don't know about the little housing for the filter on top... why can't they make it flat.

lost eden
Jun 16, 2008, 03:59 AM
I think I like the brushed better. Not to mention fingerprints.:eek:
Don't know about the little housing for the filter on top... why can't they make it flat.
I think it's designed to reflect the fan noise backwards, rather than upwards/forwards towards you.

iMpathetic
Jun 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
I think it's designed to reflect the fan noise backwards, rather than upwards/forwards towards you.

Good point.

I'll bet it's removable, though.

November
Jun 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
Guts:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0603.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0604.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0605.jpg

Desk:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0608.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0609.jpg

contoursvt
Jun 20, 2008, 01:09 AM
Very nice and tidy wiring. I like your case too :) Looks familiar :)

Guts:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0603.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0604.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0605.jpg

Desk:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0608.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ntravis11/DSCN0609.jpg

tonie
Jun 20, 2008, 04:12 AM
looks like a sweet desktop.

waynesun
Jun 24, 2008, 02:35 PM
Here is Derek between my legs. We just moved into a new place together. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/madjew/IMGP0217.jpg

You gave your computer a guy's name and then put 'him' between your legs? :p

Btw, nice tent.

JunBug119
Jun 24, 2008, 04:17 PM
You gave your computer a guy's name and then put 'him' between your legs? :p

Btw, nice tent.

Maybe Derek is what he names that thing between his legs that's pitching the tent and not the computer?

waynesun
Jun 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
I posted my setup a couple of posts before.. I had a 19'' Dell LCD with KRK RP-5 Studio Monitors. Recently cleared the KRKs in favor of something smaller and cooler (the KRKs are serious room warmers). Here's my newer setup (still Mac less.. still saving up :) )

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2611835986_38e8e7ca69_b.jpg

My setup is pretty much everything that I wanted it to be.. just waiting to pounce on that MBP!

RITZFit
Jun 25, 2008, 05:59 PM
wow, this thread makes me want to put a new system together. Here my bucket, its old as sin but it kinda works out. This was right after I painted some piece so its missing its drive bay covers...
Asus P4P800
P4 oc to 3.6 ghz
512 nvidia agp card
5.1 soundblaster card (got this a LONG time ago :D)
160 G hd

Other one is bootcamp on the mac

Superman07
Jun 25, 2008, 06:26 PM
Some nice Antec cases. Very interesting that they have moved the power supplies. Last time I built a PC (4 years ago maybe?) it was at the top. I always through it was cramped with the location. Based on some pictures above it looks like that would greatly improve the air flow.

slieu92
Jul 13, 2008, 07:22 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/slieu/P1010137.jpg

when i was in 6th grade :D 2004-2005, i believe it was.

Jul 15, 2008, 03:23 PM
No real photos unfortunately, but enjoy the ones from each respective website. My first computer for me only was some Toshiba Satellite. I think this is the closest I can find now (I got it about a year ago). But the fan broke, and the computer was exchanged for an HP Pavillion dv6449. That's what I'm writing this on. Hopefully, before the end of August, I will have the base iMac model (woohoo!). The larger picture is the Toshiba (they really need photographers I think; they make the computer look thick and bulky, which it's really not) and the smaller one is the HP (which actually is as thin as it looks in the picture).

SkyBell
Aug 13, 2008, 04:15 PM
My replacment PC got here, finally. (I hate FedEx so much.)

Dell OptiPlex 170L
2.4 GHz Intel Celeron
512 MB RAM
40 GB HDD
Windows XP Pro

Bwa
Aug 14, 2008, 09:18 PM
Since everyone is posting their Antec P180s, I thought I'd post mine.

The black one I bought a few years ago. It's actually quite different internally--they have improved the design significantly. The silver ones are both 2008 purchases. The cases are expensive, but I highly recommend them.

These machines are dual core Xeon or Core2 boxes w/ a total of 16 GB of RAM a total of 2 TB of disks. Asus server motherboards.

When I took this picture I was still getting stuff organized; I am slowly getting these machines moved into my wiring closet and out of my office.

roykeee
Jan 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Winfast X2 motherboard with nVidia chipsets and a amd athlon 3200+ 1.6 Ghz processor on it. Acer Al1951 Es 19" Monitor, nVidia 8600 gt graphicscard, trust PCI SC-5100 5.1 sound card, logitech x530 5.1 full surround speakers, 1gb ddr2 memory, 2 hard disks one is 80 gb and the other is 250 gb. my Xbox 360 controller is on the desk next. i have a logitech micrphone, and a azona ht-282 with a 5.1 surround headset. on the plank above my desk you see my playstation one and nintendo entertainment system(NES) i have a Recom keyboard with blue neon light in it a sweex mouse with blue neon lights in it and in my pc are some coolers with blue ligt in it too

trekkie604
Jan 15, 2009, 04:33 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2406148616_125872b7ef.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/trekkie604/2406148616/)

Specs: http://trekcubed.com/index.php?id=workspace

geekindisguise
Jan 15, 2009, 05:05 PM
Sadly my old laptop died on Christmas EVE morning!
I had it on my bed when I was asleep and I accidently kicked it when asleep and it fell in the crack between the bed and the wall.
It landed right on its power jack and the jack was pushed upward then broke off the Motherboard. I didn't feel like fixing it, so it rest in peice in my closet! :(

Before my laptop broke I got myself a new desktop computer for my web server. And I love this baby! I got a Gateway 19" Widescreen display for christmas to go along with it! I want to get another one and have Dual Monitors. So I made a little mockup sort of thing in the 1st picture:

http://jakes.is-a-geek.com/FamilySite/images/DualMonitorDream.jpg

Specs:
Gateway GT5622
Pentium Dual Core @ 1.8Ghz
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
Running Windows Vista/Ubuntu

This is my Personal computer and my server.
I guess it is OK to use it for everyday things too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17306037@N03/3202503084/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17306037@N03/3202496948/in/set-72157612602171051/

My Devices:
LG Vu
HP iPaq rx3715
30GB iPod Classic (5.5G)
Wacom Bamboo Tablet
Logitech Z-2300 Speakers (GREAT!!!)
My Watch :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17306037@N03/3201651907/in/set-72157612602171051/

trekkie604
Jan 16, 2009, 02:30 AM
^ Nice grades. Ah, the joys of junior high.

PeterQC
Jan 16, 2009, 02:52 AM
My Devices:
LG Vu
HP iPaq rx3715
30GB iPod Classic (5.5G)
Wacom Bamboo Tablet
Logitech Z-2300 Speakers (GREAT!!!)
My Watch :D

I've got the same tablet. I love it, but even if I now have it for 10 months, I still have difficulties with it to draw... still need to train.

geekindisguise
Jan 16, 2009, 04:09 PM
How do you add an image from Flickr into these Forums?
I just started using Flickr and don't really know....

Arthagnan
Jan 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
My peze, Antec Mini P180.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/654/asna81tr4.jpg

Almost as pretty as my... :rolleyes:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9996/94676310fv6.jpg

trekkie604
Jan 16, 2009, 07:23 PM
How do you add an image from Flickr into these Forums?
I just started using Flickr and don't really know....

When you're logged into your flickr account click on the "All Sizes" button on a photo's page. Then select the size of the photo you want the link to, and at the bottom of the page there's an address you can post on forums between {img} tags.

geekindisguise
Jan 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
When you're logged into your flickr account click on the "All Sizes" button on a photo's page. Then select the size of the photo you want the link to, and at the bottom of the page there's an address you can post on forums between {img} tags.

Thanks! I was trying to figure that out...

Rockatteer
Jan 17, 2009, 07:50 PM
This thread really highlights how ugly PC's are.

They a mass of cables and accessory clashes.

Even the insides look messy.

geekindisguise
Jan 18, 2009, 12:11 AM
This thread really highlights how ugly PC's are.

Hey! I don't think mine is that messy. I only have the cable in the front becuase I am too lazy to put it in the back. And I have seen Macs that are messier than mine! :mad:

SkyBell
Jan 18, 2009, 12:16 AM
Only if you let it be that way. For most here, PC's are used less then Macs, therefore, less priority to keep it looking neat.

Maybe, but at least you can actually do stuff inside of them without taking out half the hardware.

Anyway, here's mine. Nothing fancy, does what I need it to do. (I do plan to get a decent video card in it so I can do a little gaming.)

Dell OptiPlex 170L
2.4 GHz Celeron
768 MB RAM
40 GB HDD
Windows XP Professional SP2
http://img.skitch.com/20090118-ehjxqgj3pis2xg3n7w7n9qtduj.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/cassifire/bbtub/2008-0124aa)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/cassifire/bbtub/2008-0124aa) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

iFool
Jan 18, 2009, 05:53 AM
Only if you let it be that way. For most here, PC's are used less then Macs, therefore, less priority to keep it looking neat.

Maybe, but at least you can actually do stuff inside of them without taking out half the hardware.

Anyway, here's mine. Nothing fancy, does what I need it to do. (I do plan to get a decent video card in it so I can do a little gaming.)

Dell OptiPlex 170L
2.4 GHz Celeron
768 MB RAM
40 GB HDD
http://img.skitch.com/20090118-ehjxqgj3pis2xg3n7w7n9qtduj.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/cassifire/bbtub/2008-0124aa)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/cassifire/bbtub/2008-0124aa) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

Unless you mean games from the 1800's a graphics card wont really help, and even if you get a decent GPU, the CPU will bottleneck the hell out of it.

ezekel
Jan 18, 2009, 07:06 AM
Here is my PC now. Its a Dell Sc440 that I got for $200. 2GB ram 1.8GHz. It currently stores ~2TB and its used as my usenet, backup, dumping ground of random stuff.

I use to be into PC in highschool and my first year of college. I would build and upgrade almost every three months and watercooled everything. I hate to think what I spent back then.

No monitor is hooked up. I just Remote into it on my blackbook
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/speedy11184/CIMG1804.jpg

MattGarner
Jan 18, 2009, 04:19 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2181/dsc0808sf2.jpg

I so need a new keyboard, only spare one I had :P

OllyW
Jan 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
I picked up a bargain in the sales, an Acer Aspire L320 for only £89. :)

I've been looking for a small PC for a while and was thinking about the Eee Box but this is much more powerful and less than half the price.

The monitor was another bargain for only £60. I love the PC World sales. :D

The problem I've now got is my desk isn't big enough for the PC and my Macs. It is probably going to cost more than I paid for the computer for a new desk. :o

cherry su
Jan 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
I picked up a bargain in the sales, an Acer Aspire L320 for only £89. :)

I've been looking for a small PC for a while and was thinking about the Eee Box but this is much more powerful and less than half the price.

The monitor was another bargain for only £60. I love the PC World sales. :D

The problem I've now got is my desk isn't big enough for the PC and my Macs. It is probably going to cost more than I paid for the computer for a new desk. :o

you have a nice OS running on it :) what graphics does it have? gma x3100 or something?

cleanup
Jan 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
http://sixpop.com/files/204/Setup.jpg

Old photo. New stuff: iPhone, Logitech Pro 9000 webcam, Logitech X-540 speakers. Will take new photo eventually!

yah00z
Jan 21, 2009, 09:41 PM
Here is my workstation and the workbench that is in my office. I will post the other workbench in the garage later.

As you can see there is a dell (given to me) running most of my radio-interfacing software, etc. In addition on my workbench I have a linux system I an working on as well as two other systems awaiting format/assignment. If anyone is wondering what the black object is on the workbench it's a duplexer for a radio repeater.

Take care.

cherry su
Jan 22, 2009, 05:32 PM
Here is my PC now. Its a Dell Sc440 that I got for $200. 2GB ram 1.8GHz. It currently stores ~2TB and its used as my usenet, backup, dumping ground of random stuff.

I use to be into PC in highschool and my first year of college. I would build and upgrade almost every three months and watercooled everything. I hate to think what I spent back then.

No monitor is hooked up. I just Remote into it on my blackbook
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/speedy11184/CIMG1804.jpg

how is the server? is it quiet? i see on dell's website that it uses a BTX layout, which provides better airflow

Freemaj
Dec 3, 2009, 01:23 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2zzoot4.jpg
This is my current setup.
Could you guys tell me anyway to improve this setup. I am gonna be adding another 23" monitor soon.

bobfitz14
Dec 3, 2009, 03:16 PM
Could you guys tell me anyway to improve this setup. I am gonna be adding another 23" monitor soon.

try to clean up your cables as much as you can, that's what i find makes a setup look a little bit better. other than that nice setup you got there.

mvkVirtual
Dec 3, 2009, 05:56 PM
This. ( Not my pic :rolleyes: )

http://ghettocomputers.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/funny_pictures_ghetto_computer.jpg

No, seriously, this is mine. Blu-Ray equipped Quad-core Acer aspire; 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Logitech Z4
Logitech M400
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Crummy webcam pic :(

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/37807170.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1259885491&Signature=PNIPvwOH5sjGuT2bNEV50CyVqrk%3D

Supa_Fly
Dec 4, 2009, 02:35 AM

Dell OptiPlex 170L
2.4 GHz Celeron
768 MB RAM
40 GB HDD

I have to agree with iFool. The FSB on that machine is most likely 266Mhz, and you'll only have 8x AGP. Either way that is not your main concern. Your MAIN concern is getting it away from the wall - many of those Optiplex GX series (I have the sister GX260, and spent 2yrs troubleshooting those for BNSF) and they have a HUGE power supply overheat problem. They need to breath. You're better off donating that to a school or less fortunate family, getting a GX520/620 off of craigslist for dirt cheap (150-250CAN) - the latter has PCIe expansion on the SFF models - and use the SATAII bus for the HDD. Going from my GX260 (P4@2Ghz, 768MB RAM, FSB=266Mhz), to my GX520 (2.66Ghz CeleronD @ 533Mhz FSB with 2GBRAM) is like day & night. Still slow but more hope (I can run Win7 without Aero effects - on board GMA950? intel video acceleration).

Better still use your Intel based mac and enjoy.

Hilmi Hamidi
Dec 4, 2009, 11:57 AM

http://ghettocomputers.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/funny_pictures_ghetto_computer.jpg

No, seriously, this is mine. Blu-Ray equipped Quad-core Acer aspire; 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Logitech Z4
Logitech M400

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/37807170.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1259885491&Signature=PNIPvwOH5sjGuT2bNEV50CyVqrk%3D

Woah! That thing looks like it has been dropped from 3rd floor!

muliko
Dec 4, 2009, 01:22 PM
Dell Dimension 5150

Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4ghz Processor
4 GB RAM
320 GB
26" Samsung LCD 1920 x 1200
All Wireless

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/lstylesproductions/pc.jpg

digitalnicotine
Dec 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
Custom built gaming pc.

nillls
Dec 4, 2009, 04:36 PM

I would love to get the image that's on the background of your ubuntu laptop at the login screen! Do you have a link?

ayeying
Dec 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
I would love to get the image that's on the background of your ubuntu laptop at the login screen! Do you have a link?

That's the new login screen for Ubuntu 9.10

Hilmi Hamidi
Dec 9, 2009, 01:42 PM
My humble setup. :)

sikkinixx
Dec 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/sikkinixxkixx/IMG_0603-1.jpg

Tried cleaning my desk up a bit more today. Pieced together with hand-me-downs and the like :o Being a student rocks. Used to have my spare 360 hooked up to the 19" Samsung but it RROD on me :(

I use the PStwo now as a DVD player or just for games when the gf wants to play Plants vs. Zombies on my PC.

The Yamaha amp is from my uncle until I can find the 1978 Kenwood I want. It gives everything this nice rich sound compared to my PC output. Plus it's beautifully ugly in a retro way.

iWright
Dec 13, 2009, 01:17 PM

<snip>

Logitech Z4
Logitech M400

<snip>

Duct tape fixes everything :D

cleanup
Dec 17, 2009, 03:14 PM
http://sixpop.com/files/204/setup200908-2.jpg

E8400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 4GB, GTX275, 2.5TB of space, Dell 2209WA, Logitech Z4, etc.

Still my main machine. MacBook is used on the go.

Domanic
Dec 18, 2009, 05:19 AM
http://uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/domanic/P7140092.JPG

Havent turned it on in almost a year...

No ice please
Dec 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/lane458/IMG_0089.jpg
Gosh darn Iphone camera.

MattZani
Dec 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac37/Digitalize_/IMG_2715.jpg

:p

KadMac
Dec 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Cleanup, can you post your desktop background? I would really like to use it as my PC's wallpaper.

Mr. McMac
Jan 1, 2010, 10:40 AM
Custom built tower (Lian Li Aluminium Case) (XP Pro)
Dell XPS 730 with Dell 24" Ultrasharp 2405FPW monitor (now with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium)
Dell Inspiron 531 with 19" Dell low end monitor (XP Pro)http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/atbglenn/Computers/DSC_1624.jpg

pacmania1982
Jan 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Dell Dimension 5150

Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4ghz Processor
4 GB RAM
320 GB
26" Samsung LCD 1920 x 1200
All Wireless

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/lstylesproductions/pc.jpg

I had this wallpaper for the longest time (I just LOVE New York) until I found the attached. I love the colors, but I like the moody sky in yours

pac

macgeek18
Jan 5, 2010, 02:01 PM
My last pc.2.4Ghz C2D,2GB DDR2 ram,160GB HD,500GB HD,DVD/CD burner/writer.(Sold)

mattyuk
Jan 7, 2010, 04:20 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/mattyuk_2007/setupmacr.jpg

thenish
Jan 7, 2010, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=sikkinixx;8946014]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/sikkinixxkixx/IMG_0603-1.jpgQUOTE]

What are those doll on the top shelf called and where can you buy them? Anyone know.

Thanks

dankybear
Jan 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
i havent used my desktop in ages... might be the time to part it out

No ice please
Jan 7, 2010, 08:50 PM
Better picture tomarrow.

mattyuk
Jan 17, 2010, 11:08 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/mattyuk_2007/P1070842.jpg

Altered setup. Definitely gonna have to get a BookArc for my MBP when I get one (in about 3 month or so! haha) and put it next to my 360.

noodle654
Jan 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
The Past. I miss it. :(. I had it hooked up to my 32" HDTV, it was awesome playing games on it.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/noodle654/DSC_0618.jpg

Archon Gold
Jan 17, 2010, 07:10 PM

I use my Dynex 22" LCD TV as my computer's main screen too, awesome and cheap monitor/tvs. :D

hatehereyes
Jan 17, 2010, 08:43 PM
Just built this a month or so ago

Core i5 750 2.66ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake 500w PSU
Gigabyte P55m-UD2
2gb Corsair PC10600
ATI 2600xt HD
1x WD Velociraptor
1x 1tb WD Black
2x 320gb WD Caviar

rnelan7
Jan 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
My PC I built a few years ago while in 8th grade

Some specs:

Intel P4 2.8 overclocked at 3.2, socket 478 :eek:
ATI x800 xt pe
1 gb ram

This thing was a beast for gaming when I built it.

Jaro65
Jan 19, 2010, 02:36 AM

Logitech Z4
Logitech M400

Now that IS funny!

Jaro65
Jan 19, 2010, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=sikkinixx;8946014]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/sikkinixxkixx/IMG_0603-1.jpgQUOTE]

What are those doll on the top shelf called and where can you buy them? Anyone know.

Thanks

The cat is priceless though. Just loves it there, I guess.... :)

Hilmi Hamidi
Jan 19, 2010, 02:55 AM
Just built this a month or so ago

Core i5 750 2.66ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake 500w PSU
Gigabyte P55m-UD2
2gb Corsair PC10600
ATI 2600xt HD
1x WD Velociraptor
1x 1tb WD Black
2x 320gb WD Caviar

Wow, all that power and you're using 3 years old GPU...
Radeon 5750 is dirt cheap nowadays.

hatehereyes
Jan 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
Wow, all that power and you're using 3 years old GPU...
Radeon 5750 is dirt cheap nowadays.

For what I'm doing right now, it works just fine. I'm planning on upgrading sooner or later after I upgrade to more RAM.

I just gotta figure out how to get a full size graphics card to fit in my case with the hard drive cage still in side.
It's gonna be a challenge.

dankybear
Jan 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
the mini p180 is really sexy

Bennieboy©
Jan 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
wayyyyy old machine haha

amd athlon dual core something think it's a 1.8Ghz
896Mb DDR2 ram :S ( it is a one gig stick but meh )
300Gb 7200rpm HD
built in graphics i believe
windows XP SP3

nullx86
Feb 1, 2010, 04:16 PM

Logitech Z4
Logitech M400

Ex-girlfriend get mad at you? :p:rolleyes::cool:

Hellhammer
Feb 10, 2010, 08:49 AM
Just built a custom PC for my parents but I'll anyway post it here:

Asus P7H55D-M EVO, Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon 4670 512MB and 500GB WD Caviar Blue. Runs 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://img713.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0102zyr.jpg

macgeek18
Feb 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-a4316f-b-Desktop-PC-Bundle/product_845699?cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG71

This is going to be my secondary system.I'm buying it because I need Windows for school next fall.

Or this,
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-1464-Laptop/product_851065?cmArea=SC3:CG71:DP4118:CL161747

:)

lifeinhd
Jul 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
Last week, my friend and I started our summer project. We're working for a local nonprofit that provides food, toys, books, games, clothes, etc. to underprivileged families, and we've expanded their program to include computers. They gave us a room in their facility to work in (their "facility" is a church) and we take in donations of working and nonworking computers, as well as working peripherals, refurbish whatever computers are not working, and get them ready for donation. Unfortunately it's pretty much all PCs, but I thought it was interesting enough for posting here.

Apologies for the quality, they were taken with an Android phone :rolleyes:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4788883644_b139119c9a_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4788878530_296011f2d0_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4788245123_40a8d88646_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4788869878_f4aa1ab3b0_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4788234961_f2488d116c_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4788233279_1ec460a025_b.jpg

That's my friend in the pics. Don't worry, I made sure to get his permission before posting :D

These pics aren't current, actually. They're from late last week. Already we've got a lot more computers, so I'll try to take a few more photos tomorrow.

cleanup
Jul 12, 2010, 09:47 PM
Apologies for the quality, they were taken with an Android phone :rolleyes:

That really has nothing to do with the quality of the picture. My brother's Android phone takes fantastic photos. Besides, it all pales in relativity to, say, a real camera. Everything's terrible in relativity, even the new iPhone. Oh yes. I said it.

Anyways, sounds like an awesome project! I've done similar stuff in the past and it's always good fun and appreciated. Have fun with it!

DoFoT9
Jul 12, 2010, 10:00 PM
I feel as though the sound quality on the 27 inch iMac is already pretty great. It lacks a little bit of bass, but I can't afford to drown out my neighbors-- who live right across the wall-- with large subwoofers.
i do agree. the sound quality is quite acceptional! too bad im a picky bastard and cant stand ugly sound though :rolleyes:

stuff the neighbours! i guess you could invest in some nice headphones (in ears ftw)

cleanup
Jul 12, 2010, 11:02 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/29y3244.jpg

Also found in the Mac Setup thread.

lifeinhd
Jul 12, 2010, 11:10 PM
That really has nothing to do with the quality of the picture. My brother's Android phone takes fantastic photos. Besides, it all pales in relativity to, say, a real camera. Everything's terrible in relativity, even the new iPhone. Oh yes. I said it.

Nah, I know, I just had to put in a bad word for Android. :p

Bennieboy©
Jul 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
slowly getting my new system sorted, hackintosh is taking an age though :( lol
GA EG41mft mobo
intel C2D E7500 2.93Ghz
2Gb ddr3 1066 ram
2.75Tb 7200rpm HD ( comprised of 2x1Tb + 750Gb boot drive )
ati radeon HD2600XT gfx ( waiting on new PSU to get me X1950's up and running )
dual 19" screens
antec basiq PSU coming soon for some mild OC'ing then a new cpu heatsink and fan :D

DoFoT9
Jul 22, 2010, 04:46 AM
slowly getting my new system sorted, hackintosh is taking an age though :( lol
GA EG41mft mobo
intel C2D E7500 2.93Ghz
2Gb ddr3 1066 ram
2.75Tb 7200rpm HD ( comprised of 2x1Tb + 750Gb boot drive )
ati radeon HD2600XT gfx ( waiting on new PSU to get me X1950's up and running )
dual 19" screens
antec basiq PSU coming soon for some mild OC'ing then a new cpu heatsink and fan :D

oh hurry up. you’ve been at it for months ;)

very nice, what case do you have?

macgeek18
Jul 23, 2010, 12:04 AM
My "Windows" setup is XP in Bootcamp on my MacBook. :D

toolbox
Jul 23, 2010, 12:18 AM
My "Windows" setup is XP in Bootcamp on my MacBook. :D

Mine is Windows setup is now in VMware on my iMac / MBP

macgeek18
Jul 23, 2010, 12:22 AM
Mine is Windows setup is now in VMware on my iMac / MBP

Nice,this is my last month with my MacBook.I'm buying a 13" 2.4Ghz MBP for school,and I'm going to buy 7 Pro and VMWare Fusion for it. :)

BeamWalker
Jul 23, 2010, 07:37 AM
From 2007-2010

http://www.abload.de/img/ab013pul.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=ab013pul.jpg)

http://www.abload.de/img/ab02kq29.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=ab02kq29.jpg)

http://www.abload.de/img/ab03jp0a.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=ab03jp0a.jpg)

http://www.abload.de/img/ab04bpv1.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=ab04bpv1.jpg)

ranviper
Jan 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
Wow, moved my thread here even though I wanted to see more then just WINDOWS machines. Lame. Oh well.

Queso
Jan 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
But what if the only PC you own is a Mac?