PDA

View Full Version : how to backup OLD PowerBook 5300cs

evoluzione
Mar 31, 2006, 07:26 PM
so i was just given an old PowerBook 5300cs by a client (for free, along with an old G3/233 desktop and an old Handspring Visor) ( !!! ) :D

i want to give my client a copy of all his old files that are on the PowerBook but i'm stumped as to how to back it all up.

The PB has a floppy drive, it has a SCSI port and 2 PCMCIA ports (i also have a GV 28.8k modem card for it). i don't believe it has Ethernet of any kind, which would have made things easy.

any ideas anyone??

thankya :)

spinne1
Apr 1, 2006, 05:15 AM
so i was just given an old PowerBook 5300cs by a client (for free, along with an old G3/233 desktop and an old Handspring Visor) ( !!! ) :D

i want to give my client a copy of all his old files that are on the PowerBook but i'm stumped as to how to back it all up.

The PB has a floppy drive, it has a SCSI port and 2 PCMCIA ports (i also have a GV 28.8k modem card for it). i don't believe it has Ethernet of any kind, which would have made things easy.

any ideas anyone??

thankya :)

The floppy is out, too small. The scsi port means you could get an external SCSI drive and transfer all the files that way. (better to find a Mac friend who probably has one of these sitting around--I know I have a couple--that you could borrow for a few days) Your other option is to buy a Ethernet card for it off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerbook-5300-Focus-Ethernet-16-Bit-Video-Card-NIB_W0QQitemZ8761142620QQcategoryZ4601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem