Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glossybear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
Since it looks like I'll be getting a new 12" PB in a month or so, I've started looking around for a new bag to carry it in.

Ideally I would like to carry the AlBook, iPod, Digi Camera, all the AC adapters, firewire and USB cables, a few CDs, a notebook, my phone, a magazine or two, and maybe a small external HD.

Basically I want a total mobile computing bag.

I was thinking about one from timbuk2, but I have heard that their quality has gone south. (and they are costly)

Any body have a bag that they LOVE?

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
This is what I did. Since the new 12" powerbook has a similar size to the ibook, go buy yourself a cd case...the ones that can hold 8 cds per sheet/back and front (I think the whole case can hold 144 cds total). Take out the cd sheets....You now have a case for your AIBook... next go buy this:

http://www.oakley.com/ostore/accessories/icon_backpack/

This sucker can hold everything you got and then some.

Yes, it's pricey but it works well for me

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
powerbook bab

I disagree about the Timbuk2 bags. Tremendous....

I just ordered another big enough to carry my 17" powerbook when it arrives. They are also (look on their opening webpage) going to release a new laptop sleeve to accommodate the new 17" pbook.

They are pricey, but I'm a former bike messenger and these bags are waterproof and they rock!

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I just purchased a laptop sleeve for my iBook from Timbuk2. I was very impressed with it. They make excellent products, and I would highly reccomend them. In fact, I'm thinking about ordering a new messenger bag from them this week. I don't know where you heard their quality had gone down, because it is absolutely superb.

iStream

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2003
I bought one from Brenthaven that was designed for the 15" TiBook... I love it. The coolest feature is the seperate padded compartment the laptop itself goes in, and it's removeable with a handle...so you can just take that out if you need to go somewhere quick, and you're just holding something the size of the laptop itself. (Not sure if other ones have that.. didn't really look around too much :) )

Chad

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2003
I would say brenthaven for quality of the bag etc...
cant beat the system
I used to have to cary a laptop daily and pull it in and out at least 4x a day
as a trainer for HP and loved the bag
now if it doesnt have the features you want then it isnt the best ;)

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok...now i know that most people will flame me for this one...BUT, i love my jack spade (kate spades husband and business partner) messenger bag. the one i have is padded well enough that my TiBook in its sleeve fits perfectly in it. the front pockets are big enough to hold my iPod and my AC adapters:p

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i just got two great new laptop bags one from timbuk2 (at MWSF) and one from Crumpler (and they do ship to addresses in the US). They're both big enough to hold an iBook, the AC adapter, one to two small to average sized textbooks, two 1 inch binders (if they're not EXTERMELY full), lots of cables, a cell phone, a PDA, an iPod, a couple of cd's and there's still a little room left for whatever you need. It's basically what i have in the bag for one average day at school...and my back hurts a lot. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw the iPod can be used as an external hard drive...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
i just got two great new laptop bags one from timbuk2 (at MWSF) and one from Crumpler (and they do ship to addresses in the US). They're both big enough to hold an iBook, the AC adapter, one to two small to average sized textbooks, two 1 inch binders (if they're not EXTERMELY full), lots of cables, a cell phone, a PDA, an iPod, a couple of cd's and there's still a little room left for whatever you need. It's basically what i have in the bag for one average day at school...and my back hurts a lot. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw the iPod can be used as an external hard drive...
hey how do you like thosee timbuk2 bags, i was thinking of getting the smallest one they had to offer in the computer section. are those big enough to hold a 12 powerbook and the power supply.

iJon

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
Originally posted by übergeek
i just got two great new laptop bags one from timbuk2 (at MWSF) and one from Crumpler (and they do ship to addresses in the US).

What do you think of the Crumpler? I haven't been able to afford one (yet!) but am desperate. I wish they'd make the ipod-sized digit with a hole for earphones tho. then it would be perfect.

skeeter1001

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2003
TimBuk2

For those of you that bought the timbuk2 for the 17" pb's -- which bag and size did you get? I just placed my order for the large messenger bag, and I'm going to get the laptop sleeve when they release the new one! Very excited about it, and I think it'll be worth the money for the amount of use it'll get.

My friend has one and thinks they're a great bag.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
do you guys read or what?

The timbuk2 and crumpler bags are *great* and I think they're perfect for me...because I'm fed up with everyone asking me what WWDC stands for :rolleyes: .
They're also very sturdy and I think they're actually cheap because the quality of the bags is amazing.
And they come in black...black's my favorite color.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Timbuk2

according to Timbuk2 customer service the 17" sleeve will only fit in the DeeDog or XL messenger bag. I'm pretty bummed b/c I wanted a Mogwai Commuter Computer bag for it instead. The DeeDog seems pretty large. But, I'll probably go for it anyway.

skeeter1001

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2003
Re: TimBuk2

**phew** -- I ordered the DeeDog -- the dimensions do seem pretty large... especially since the bag I use now is a Marware Sportfolio for my 15" PB.

Chad

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2003
on the two mess bag styles
Crumpler is also big in the photo field
the timbuk2 I have had one of these for just over ten years now as a dauly junk bag and it is amzing very strong never had a stitch prob etc.....

brenthaven still makes a better bag but if ya need a more urban bag I would vote for the timbuk or crumpler

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
do any of you know if the sweet pea by timbuk2 will be the perfect fit for a 12 inch powerbook. or would you guys reccomend something else.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.