PDA

View Full Version : Is This True About The iPod Shuffle?

Afro1989
Apr 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
Is it true that the audio quality of the iPod Shuffle is superior to other iPods such as the older larger models and the iPod Mini? I was wondering this because I was thinking of purchasing the $99 version iPod Shuffle because I need an iPod that I can work out with and not have to worry about the screen scratching (i.e. iPod Nano & Video).

Thanks.

lamina
Apr 1, 2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure about quality, but from my experience the shuffle has a LOT more volume. It is much louder than any of the iPods before it, as well as the 5g and nano.

PlaceofDis
Apr 1, 2006, 10:11 AM
when the shuffle came out it was said that its headphone port produced very high quality sounds, better than the first rev of the iPod Minis, i don't know about the full sized iPods though, but the shuffle is a good thing for its price, especially for working out.

gekko513
Apr 1, 2006, 10:12 AM
Yes, I've seen a test that showed the iPod shuffle to be better at reproducing difficult audio waves (squares) under stress compared to other iPods and other mp3 players.

If that makes the audio quality better in general is a different question.

Afro1989
Apr 1, 2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the quick responses peeps!

darwen
Apr 1, 2006, 08:45 PM
hmmm... never heard anything about this before. That is odd. A cool bit of trivia.

macpastor
Apr 1, 2006, 08:48 PM
Last year I read an article, I believein Playlist or MacWorld that talked about the shuffle audio being technically better and more accurate than the other iPods. In fact, they wondered why they would put better technology in the shuffle and not in the other units.

I wish I could remember which magazine, as I subscribe to them both. I bought a shuffle after that article just to check it out. I was surprised, they were right. It had a lower frequency response and cleaner highs.

JackSYi
Jun 2, 2006, 04:25 AM
I've read somewhere that the iPod Shuffle is the "gold standard" for ipod audio quality and has the best bass response. (I think it might of been on ilounge.com)

WildCowboy
Jun 2, 2006, 04:38 AM
Here's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=115464) some more info on the shuffle sound quality...

Blue Velvet
Jun 2, 2006, 04:38 AM
Unquestionably true. Well, for the Shuffle vs. a 4th gen 40gb anyway.

For a few months, I had both. Same files, Shure E3Cs, Shuffle sounded far better and noticeably so.