PDA

View Full Version : The new iBooks

forwardmomentum
Apr 2, 2006, 08:44 AM
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about the new iBook's using Gigabit ethernet instead of Megabit?? Anyone think it will happen??

Frank

mjstew33
Apr 2, 2006, 08:51 AM
No, it won't happen.

That's a pro feature.

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2006, 09:21 AM
I agree, this is still considered a Pro feature and will not be included on the new iBooks. The average iBook user has no need for GE - they either use the Internet wirelessly via BT or AE, or are connected to a wireless router which would not be able to attain GE speeds. When Apple puts GE in the iMacs, then you'll know it will be coming soon for the iBooks. :cool:

forwardmomentum
Apr 2, 2006, 09:30 AM
I agree, this is still considered a Pro feature and will not be included on the new iBooks. The average iBook user has no need for GE - they either use the Internet wirelessly via BT or AE, or are connected to a wireless router which would not be able to attain GE speeds. When Apple puts GE in the iMacs, then you'll know it will be coming soon for the iBooks. :cool:

The iMac's DO have Gigabit Ethernet though? At least mine does i am pretty sure, 10/100/1000T yah? Plus, Mac mini now has gigabit and i didn't think that was considered a pro computer, or is it? Sorry, i am still a newbie to the whole Apple transition, but sooo much better than PC in my opinion.

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2006, 09:34 AM
The iMac's DO have Gigabit Ethernet though? At least mine does i am pretty sure, 10/100/1000T yah? Plus, Mac mini now has gigabit and i didn't think that was considered a pro computer, or is it? Sorry, i am still a newbie to the whole Apple transition, but sooo much better than PC in my opinion.

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking with that last statement of mine, you're right. I must be on crack. :cool:

forwardmomentum
Apr 2, 2006, 09:45 AM
:D Me too..oh, time to go to church :) Later

mkrishnan
Apr 2, 2006, 10:03 AM
My take is that it will happen when it becomes cheaper for Apple to just use the same controller card in all the computers rather than offer the "upgrade," much like hand-operated windows are getting rare in American cars... and much like the iBook got the built-in AE/BT2 card, and over time, all the other Macs did too...it makes good manufacturing and supply chain sense.

But beyond that, I think that when Apple looks at the iBook market, how many people with iBooks are really using wired ethernet on gigabit networks? I would think, not many.... Many, many of us use wireless to begin with. And most of the rest, even if they use wires, are not on networks fast enough to make GB matter. A few are, doubtless. But I'm pretty sure that if I had the statistics, the percentage overlap would be very, very small....

BlizzardBomb
Apr 2, 2006, 10:13 AM
No, it won't happen.

That's a pro feature.

Doesn't the Mac Mini have it and that's definately not a pro Mac.

weg
Apr 2, 2006, 10:14 AM
No, it won't happen.

That's a pro feature.

Don't know.. I guess it's a question of price. Gigabit chipsets might soon be cheaper to obtain than Megabit chipsets..

nylon
Apr 2, 2006, 10:51 AM
Gigabit is becoming the standard. I think all new Macs will have GBE. I don't know of any current Intel manufactured boards that incorporate 10/100 only anymore.

sarcoptic
Apr 2, 2006, 10:55 AM
Going to have to agree with kkapoor...GBE is getting to be a standard and I think the iBook will have it

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2006, 10:55 AM
Gigabit is becoming the standard. I think all new Macs will have GBE. I don't know of any current Intel manufactured boards that incorporate 10/100 only anymore.

That's a good point actually. Perhaps this will be a good opportunity for Apple to introduce GE into the iBooks after all.

Danksi
Apr 2, 2006, 10:59 AM
Don't know.. I guess it's a question of price. Gigabit chipsets might soon be cheaper to obtain than Megabit chipsets..

... or they become the only option available.

emotion
Apr 2, 2006, 11:05 AM
I would say it's pretty much a certainty that the new ibook/macbook will have GE (given the intel mini does).

Josias
Apr 2, 2006, 01:49 PM
A GE chipset cost around $10 more than 10/100 nowadays, so i guess it will be there. but who needs it?:p

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2006, 02:56 PM
A GE chipset cost around $10 more than 10/100 nowadays, so i guess it will be there. but who needs it?:p

Yeah, that's kind of where my head's at. Yes, it is more commonplace now, so it will probably be included, but on the other hand, how many people really use it to its fullest capacity?