Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I just thought of this. Jobs said it is the year of the laptop. Sure, those new laptops are great, but he said the YEAR of the laptop. Just upgrading those laptop chip speeds isnt going to be that great of a year.

I think that we will see the 970 powermac and the 970 powerbook this year. I think that the 12" powerbook will soon replace the iBook line, and the 14" model will be disc.

Then, the 15" and 17" powerbooks will be in the pro line and use 970s. The 970 is a low power usage chip, i believe.

What do you guys think? My idea may be wrong, but i think i have the right concept.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: "Year of the Laptop"...

Originally posted by MacAztec
I just thought of this. Jobs said it is the year of the laptop. Sure, those new laptops are great, but he said the YEAR of the laptop.

I personally think he was just hyping the expo... I don't think it means anything in particular.

arn

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Naw steve shoulda said the Years of the Laptop. More and more people are getting laptops (and desktops). I hope a really fast PPC 970's gonna be in the powerbooks when they come.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
BRING IT ON....:D

I've run PowerBooks since the 160, I love 'em the little darlings...;)

Now, a dual 970 based Ai 17" PowerBook would be worth selling the cat for:D :D

nyced

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
well steve also said when he introduced us to the flat screen imac that it was the end of the crt. and look the g3 imac is still around and he released the emac soon after. so you have to take what mr. jobs says with a grain of salt. i think focusing on the laptop line with bluetooth and wifi becoming mainstream and popular is a good move. but desktops will have their year again i'm sure.
on a side note: i would like to see apple get rid of the g3 imac. the emac should take over that all in one crt market some how.
that's my two cents or three....
later,
ed

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
RDF for the year Powermac sales tanked

"Year of the Laptop" is RDF spin to divert attention from tanking PowerMac sales.

His slide showed sales as a percentage, not units.
So if tower sales are down, spin it into "laptop sales are way up!" (as a percentage of sales).

As for the G3 iMac, Steve also once said (on the occasion of 5 millionth shipped) he was looking forward to the 10 millionth going out the door.
It is like the beetle, the development is paid for, it is cheap to make, everybody knows what it is, and it is perfectly adequate for some people (lot of schools). Put the old G3i on a good stand, it still looks pretty good. there have been problems with the eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.