PDA

View Full Version : iBook History

igucl
Apr 2, 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi, everyone. I've been looking to get an affordable iBook on eBay, and I was wondering if anyone knows when they first started putting AirPort Extreme (802.11g) in the iBooks. Did they have it in the later G3 models?

Thanks for the info. :)

yankeefan24
Apr 2, 2006, 07:22 PM
I do not believe so. I believe the first G4 was the first one with AirPort Extreme.

As always, i may be wrong. but i doubt it.

grapes911
Apr 2, 2006, 07:27 PM
I think you are correct. The Airport Extreme didn't come to the iBooks until the G4 update.

amacgenius
Apr 2, 2006, 07:32 PM
All G3 iBooks came with (if installed/BTO'd) an Airport Card, never came with Airport Extreme, this wasn't available until the switch to the G4 chip in the iBook.

If you have a good router though it shouldn't matter much about Airport vs. Airport Extreme, I haven't seen a major difference in either.

grapes911
Apr 2, 2006, 07:36 PM
If you have a good router though it shouldn't matter much about Airport vs. Airport Extreme, I haven't seen a major difference in either.

If you are judging solely on internet access, then no there is really no difference. 802.11b is faster than most internet connections so increasing the speed of your card won't make a difference. But when transferring files within your own network, you'll see a huge difference.

mkrishnan
Apr 2, 2006, 07:41 PM
The very first iBook G4s do have it. :)

igucl
Apr 2, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I think you're right about 802.11b not making a huge difference for me. The only thing is, if I set my router to accomodate the b speed, is it true that all other computers on the network will then be slowed down?

grapes911
Apr 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
The only thing is, if I set my router to accomodate the b speed, is it true that all other computers on the network will then be slowed down?

Yes. Everything will clock down to 802.11b speeds.

merlin_1102
Apr 3, 2006, 01:47 AM
Hey

When in doubt I think Wikipedia provides really good information on when things were included in all Apple models. I read the Poerbook/iBook ones recently just out of curiosity and I vaguely recall them mentioning when it was put in.

pinto32
Apr 3, 2006, 02:42 AM
The main problem I have with 802.11b is the lack of range. There is a tremendous difference between my iBook's 802.11g and my dad's Thinkpad's 802.11b. I will never have trouble with a signal, whereas he never has as strong a signal as me, and sometimes no signal at all (though this is probably windows-related). Anyway, under the right conditions, b is just fine for internet. As far as routers, some g routers will turn into dogs when a "b" machine is connected, while others are just fine. For example, in my apartment, we have a Netgear 'g" wireless router that is great when it is only me and my one roomate using our "g" cards. However, when a "b" card is connected, I notice a drop when I'm downloading large files. Basically, just go to cNet or something like that and read reviews of routers if this sounds like it would be an issue for you.

btw, the previous posts are correct about the timing of airport cards. If I remember right:
Powerbook G3 Pismos, Titanium Powerbook G4s and all iBooks G3s had Airport (802.11b). Aluminum Powerbook G4s, iBook G4s, and probably all intel portables for the remainder of 2006 will have Airport Extreme (802.11g). Expect Apple to intro Airport ______ (802.11n) sometime between October 2006 and January 2007.

thequicksilver
Apr 3, 2006, 06:10 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I think you're right about 802.11b not making a huge difference for me. The only thing is, if I set my router to accomodate the b speed, is it true that all other computers on the network will then be slowed down?

This is the case, however you don't need to. If you set it to g, you can access it with b, but at a slower speed. Setting it to g doesn't preclude b computers from accessing it.

grapes911
Apr 3, 2006, 09:16 AM
This is the case, however you don't need to. If you set it to g, you can access it with b, but at a slower speed. Setting it to g doesn't preclude b computers from accessing it.
It may. If you lock your router into G speeds (which is a feature on some routers), then B cards cannot use it. If you lock your router into B speeds then all cards can use it but only at B speeds. If you set it to automatic, it will run at G speeds until a B card tries to access it. It will then run at B speeds until the B card disconnects. Basically, a router cannot talk to one card in G and another in B at the same time.

deebster
Apr 3, 2006, 02:35 PM
Mactracker (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5968) is a great way of, um, tracking the changes in the Mac lineup over the years.

lonelemur90
Apr 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
if at all possible, i would highly recommend going with G, because i use b and my downloads take ...fforrrevvverrr... i am currently using my P.O.S. dell wi th a linksys router and adapter, and i am currently ready to kill it with a screwdriver and get a macbook pro.

grapes911
Apr 4, 2006, 05:23 PM
if at all possible, i would highly recommend going with G, because i use b and my downloads take ...fforrrevvverrr... i am currently using my P.O.S. dell wi th a linksys router and adapter, and i am currently ready to kill it with a screwdriver and get a macbook pro.

1. The computer does not support Airport Extreme cards.
2. There is no way your internet speed is faster than your wireless card/router. So upgrading to a faster speed will not increase the speed of your downloads.

Mord
Apr 4, 2006, 05:47 PM
get a g4 anyway, you dont want to deal with logic board issues.

Jedi128
Apr 4, 2006, 05:59 PM
Was your original question asking when the airport extreme card was first actually included with the iBook? Becuase I know for a fact that the the iBook I have (12" 1.2Ghz and the 14" 1.33Ghz G4's) were the first to actually have the card included with the machine, whereas before you would have had to purchase it separatly. If this wasn't your question, then you probably already have an answer from the above posts...

Demon Hunter
Apr 4, 2006, 06:44 PM
It may. If you lock your router into G speeds (which is a feature on some routers), then B cards cannot use it. If you lock your router into B speeds then all cards can use it but only at B speeds. If you set it to automatic, it will run at G speeds until a B card tries to access it. It will then run at B speeds until the B card disconnects. Basically, a router cannot talk to one card in G and another in B at the same time.

Then how does the wireless at my university work? :confused:

grapes911
Apr 4, 2006, 08:21 PM
Then how does the wireless at my university work? :confused:
I don't know how your university has it set up.

I know that at mine, most older routers (anything over about 1.5 years old) are 802.11B. At this time they have no intention to upgrade these routers. The newer routers purchased to expand our wireless or to replace broken routers are 802.11G. These routers are set to automatic. If only G cards are connected, then the router runs at G speeds. If just one B card connects to a specific router, then that specific router clocks down to B.