PDA

View Full Version : mini or imac (from ibookG4) ?

ebuggg
Apr 2, 2006, 07:26 PM
I've had my iBook G4 less than 6months and I like it very much but I'm beginning to fill it up. I bought a 100G HD portable for now.
I'd like to have something I can run for pro design work that is fast and reliable, stable.
question is:
what's best combo of parts (best bargain and best max performance)
imac 17" (20" seems like a huger difference in price compared to mini)
mac Mini intel and separate LCD monitor, maybe a minimate.

I dont need any keyboard or mouse or other periph's.
Also interested in media setup with tv/mini but know almost nothing about it..just love the idea of the cute little white box doing the tivo thing in the Living Room. (screws the studio desktop setup of course) :rolleyes:
Is that worth the effort?

Josias
Apr 3, 2006, 03:18 AM
Go for 17" iMac with 2x512 and 160 GB HDD (perhaps 250 if you need it).;)

eXan
Apr 3, 2006, 05:45 AM
iMac has a much better quality/price ratio than mini. 20 inch iMac is cheaper than dual-core mini with 20 inch ACD!!! Not to mention it is much faster!

You can get a larger and faster HD with iMac, faster processor cores, really fast GPU and a lot of free desktop space!

(Yes mini seems to take less space, but you have to add a monitor and speakers to it, each with lots of wires and takes a lot of space)

crazycat
Apr 3, 2006, 05:51 AM
If you already have a monitor, mouse and a keybord then the mini would be cheaper but if you dont get the iMac. They are both good computers, i love my mini and i love my imac.

Josias
Apr 3, 2006, 08:12 AM
Minis are for people who don't need all the iMacs extra features and power. It's a really good family computer (so is the iMac).:p