PDA

View Full Version : New iBook worth the wait?




matt3180
Apr 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm looking to switch from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop, and the iBook/consumer-style notebook would be perfectly suitable to my needs(word processing, e-mail, internet, and hopefully the iLife applications:D) . However, I'm wondering whether it really will be worth the wait for the rumoured Intel MacBook to come out. I went into my local Apple Reseller, and they said there wasn't a whole lot of speed difference(and I have no way to prove that right or wrong, I live in the far east of Canada - no Apple store here) so I am looking for the opinion of all here.



screensaver400
Apr 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm looking to switch from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop, and the iBook/consumer-style notebook would be perfectly suitable to my needs(word processing, e-mail, internet, and hopefully the iLife applications:D) . However, I'm wondering whether it really will be worth the wait for the rumoured Intel MacBook to come out. I went into my local Apple Reseller, and they said there wasn't a whole lot of speed difference(and I have no way to prove that right or wrong, I live in the far east of Canada - no Apple store here) so I am looking for the opinion of all here.

Wait. In a worst-case scenario with a total piece of junk for a MacBook, you'll still be able to buy an iBook from third-party resellers and from Apple's Special Deals section for a few weeks or months. Just wait and see what happens.

mkrishnan
Apr 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
If you have no pressing need, and no existing investment in PPC Mac software, I would personally either (a) wait, or (b) buy a used one to play around with. If you buy a used iBook and spend $500-700, then later, if you want to upgrade to something else, I think you will be able to turn it around with relatively minimal losses. That's my take.

I have two PPC Macs, FWIW, and I purchased the newer one (used iMac G5 / 17") in January. But I had the other one for >2 years and so it doesn't both me to not get an Intel-based Mac for a few years.

terriyaki
Apr 3, 2006, 04:43 AM
I find it funny that you honestly think that someone on this messageboard actually knows whether it's truly worth the wait or not. Newsflash, buddyboy: No one knows what the exact specs of the new iBooks are and no one knows when they will be announced and produced.

If you need a computer now figure out your needs and then figure out which laptop will be the best to suit those needs. If you don't necessarily need a laptop right now then you can wait until the new iBooks come out.

Frack, these threads are getting annoying.

jadekitty24
Apr 3, 2006, 06:18 AM
Frack, these threads are getting annoying.
Then stop reading them :)

I would take mkrishman's advice. Buy a cheap ppc for now, and pick up the iBook whenever it comes out. You'll be able to sell your ppc and recoup most of your money. Macs hold their value pretty well.

thehype31
Apr 3, 2006, 10:34 AM
I find it funny that you honestly think that someone on this messageboard actually knows whether it's truly worth the wait or not. Newsflash, buddyboy: No one knows what the exact specs of the new iBooks are and no one knows when they will be announced and produced.

If you need a computer now figure out your needs and then figure out which laptop will be the best to suit those needs. If you don't necessarily need a laptop right now then you can wait until the new iBooks come out.

Frack, these threads are getting annoying.

Wise, wise words... I agree 100%. It depends on what your needs are, if the current iBook suits your needs, then by all means get it, because no one knows when the new line will be out.

sunfast
Apr 3, 2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think there's any harm in waiting unless you need something right now. As much as we speculate about the new iBooks, they really can't be far away now.

bah-bah'd
Apr 3, 2006, 10:42 AM
I find it funny that you honestly think that someone on this messageboard actually knows whether it's truly worth the wait or not. Newsflash, buddyboy: No one knows what the exact specs of the new iBooks are and no one knows when they will be announced and produced.

If you need a computer now figure out your needs and then figure out which laptop will be the best to suit those needs. If you don't necessarily need a laptop right now then you can wait until the new iBooks come out.

Frack, these threads are getting annoying.


The buyers guide suggests to wait. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ I wonder if this whole site is a crock :p

kretzy
Apr 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
I find it funny that you honestly think that someone on this messageboard actually knows whether it's truly worth the wait or not. Newsflash, buddyboy: No one knows what the exact specs of the new iBooks are and no one knows when they will be announced and produced.

If you need a computer now figure out your needs and then figure out which laptop will be the best to suit those needs. If you don't necessarily need a laptop right now then you can wait until the new iBooks come out.

Frack, these threads are getting annoying.

No need to get narky! If they annoy you, don't click on them.

I think mkrishnan's advice was right on. If you want something now to test the waters with, go ahead and get a used iBook, it may be enough for what you need, if not upgrade later. Otherwise wait to see what comes out and then decide from there.

n-abounds
Apr 3, 2006, 11:08 AM
Well, presumably the new Macbook Novice will be better than the old iBook. Also presumably, the new ones will be MUCH better. So, knowing that, make your decision: wait for a much better Macbook that will cost more and take a while, or buy an outdated iBook now for much cheaper.

briansolomon
Apr 3, 2006, 01:50 PM
Wait.

I have an iBook from two years ago. Minus the minor speed bump it received once, they're still the same machines they were when I bought mine two years ago.