Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I've currently got a 3G 15gb iPod, a 'plain' iTrip, and a 12v charger. I'm going to Ireland in June, so I'm thinking of getting a 30gb 5G because 1, my current battery life is around 3 hours, 2, I need something to store the photos I take on, and 3, it would be nice to be able to watch a movie on it.

I also do a lot of volunteer work in an area where there are ZERO good radio stations. So, I use the charger and iTrip to supply music. However, the way I understand it, I won't be able to use my current iTrip (the one that plugs into the top of the iPod) with a new 5G. What transmitter WILL work? I'm very happy with the quality of my iTrip so I hate to give it up, but if I must I must. Also I'd like to save $20 and be able to use my current 12v charger (just a plane jane rig that looks like a phone charger, 12v on one end, dock connector on the other).

So, what do i need? :confused:

thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jknight8907 said:
However, the way I understand it, I won't be able to use my current iTrip (the one that plugs into the top of the iPod) with a new 5G.
Right. Apple took away the old remote connector.
What transmitter WILL work?
There is a new iTrip that attaches to the dock connector.

Your old charger will probably still work, the dock connector hasn't changed much.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
iMeowbot said:
Your old charger will probably still work, the dock connector hasn't changed much.

So that new iTrip has a dock connector slot on the bottom of it, so you can charge while using the xmitter?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jknight8907 said:
So that new iTrip has a dock connector slot on the bottom of it, so you can charge while using the xmitter?
No :( You could use a more generic style of transmitter like the Belkin one if you want to do that.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
iMeowbot said:
No :( You could use a more generic style of transmitter like the Belkin one if you want to do that.

:( is right.....I guess that Belkin one wouldn't be too bad...my 12v cord is the one that can power it. The TuneBase looks cool, but not for $80. Hmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.