PDA

View Full Version : G4 iBook in May?




MacRumors
Feb 2, 2003, 11:25 PM
LoopRumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com) a G4 iBook may be in the works for early May:


[i]We have received word from a reliable source that a new updated iBook with a G4 processor will make its way into the education notebook in 'early May.'



Moxiemike
Feb 2, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
LoopRumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com) a G4 iBook may be in the works for early May:



Interesting since we already have a G4 iBook

MacAztec
Feb 2, 2003, 11:49 PM
Do we? Hmmm, when I go to the apple store, and click the ibook section, i only see g3s:rolleyes:

vniow
Feb 2, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Do we? Hmmm, when I go to the apple store, and click the ibook section, i only see g3s:rolleyes:


Thought:

Maybe, just maybe, Moxie was talking about the 12" Powerbook.

Just thinking out loud here.

Moxiemike
Feb 2, 2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by vniow



Thought:

Maybe, just maybe, Moxie was talking about the 12" Powerbook.

Just thinking out loud here.

you read my mind! ;) It just proves to me more and more that we won't be seeing g4 iBooks for a long good while.

that's what the G4 Powerbook is for....it's about as close to a G4 iBook as we can get. :)

bentmywookie
Feb 3, 2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike


you read my mind! ;) It just proves to me more and more that we won't be seeing g4 iBooks for a long good while.

that's what the G4 Powerbook is for....it's about as close to a G4 iBook as we can get. :)


Definitely. There is no way a G4 iBook would come out when it would basically end up having the same specs as the 12" powerbook.

What I really want, though, is a Gobi chipset iBook (without any Apple "crippling" done to it).

t^3
Feb 3, 2003, 02:03 AM
One reason why Apple might be doing this is that it really wants to push iLife by making SuperDrives available to even more people, since a G4 iBook would allow it to have the SuperDrive, and thus the use of iDVD. Granted, this plan would make the high end iBook be similar to the 12" PowerBook, but a line can still be drawn between them by keeping everything other than the processor the same. The main differences would be no DDR, no line input, no dual monitor, smaller HD, slower tray-loading drive, and slightly bigger size and weight. I'll even bet that the 12" PowerBook will get L3 cache, DVI out, and 256MB built-in RAM on the next revision so that there will be some more differences... the same thing Apple did with the iMac G4 and the PowerMac G4. This move only means that 970-based PowerBook isn't that far off - perhaps the next revision?

ivtrk
Feb 3, 2003, 03:03 AM
.

cb911
Feb 3, 2003, 06:48 AM
what an absurd rumor.:rolleyes: no wonder it's in the 'page 2' section...

oh well, i guess we wouldn't even hear about this stuff if it wasn't for this page 2 forum.

yzedf
Feb 3, 2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by cb911
what an absurd rumor.:rolleyes: no wonder it's in the 'page 2' section...

oh well, i guess we wouldn't even hear about this stuff if it wasn't for this page 2 forum.

I have to agree.

There will most likely not be any updates to the iBook for a while now. The last few have been incremental CPU speed increases of 100MHz, more onboard memory (64 to 128MB), and a better bus (from 66 to 100MHz).

It might be hard to sell a switcher a PB 12" 867MHz if there was a 12" 900MHz iBook. Us peecee guys have been deluded with the MegaHertz Myth. G3 vs G4 does not mean much to most of us. ;)

It would be nice to get a 900MHz G3 with a 133MHz bus and 256MB of memory onboard... *cough* hint *cough*

pianojoe
Feb 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
I want to point out that the current iBook mainboard allows for 800MHz max. (This was clear when the 500MHz model was introduced.) Apple will not redesign the mainboard for another G3 processor!

Thus, the iBook as we know it will cease to exist. There <specuation> will be a new model based on the current 12" PB, but not before the PBs sport a new processor. </speculation>

yzedf
Feb 3, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by pianojoe
I want to point out that the current iBook mainboard allows for 800MHz max. (This was clear when the 500MHz model was introduced.) Apple will not redesign the mainboard for another G3 processor!

Thus, the iBook as we know it will cease to exist. There <specuation> will be a new model based on the current 12" PB, but not before the PBs sport a new processor. </speculation>

Mainboards are cheap to redesign. Upgrade a chipset or 2... and voila! New product with little effort.

The more I think about it... the more I think the iBook will lie dormant for some time :(

--

w00t! 100th post!

Kwyjibo
Feb 3, 2003, 05:49 PM
I forget the codename but weren't we talking about faster g3s in the future. why would apple not use these its not like other copanies need g3s.

Nermal
Feb 3, 2003, 07:43 PM
The longer they go without an update, the longer my current iBook is top of the line :)

Nermal
Feb 3, 2003, 07:52 PM
We have received word from a reliable source that a new updated iBook with a G4 processor will make its way into the education notebook in 'early May.'

I can just picture the G4 iBook being called an eBook!

rainman::|:|
Feb 3, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Nermal


I can just picture the G4 iBook being called an eBook!

god, i hope not. that's all we need. wonder what will be defective on the ebook? certainly not the screens, that would be redundant. maybe the RAM slots.

there's no reason for an ibook g4. until the 12" gets bumped so much that it's no competition, then it's certainly welcome :)

pnw

Nermal
Feb 3, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel


god, i hope not. that's all we need. wonder what will be defective on the ebook? certainly not the screens, that would be redundant. maybe the RAM slots.

there's no reason for an ibook g4. until the 12" gets bumped so much that it's no competition, then it's certainly welcome :)

pnw

Yeah, I hope not too, but I can still see them doing it! I'm still waiting for my currently-top-of-the-line iBook to arrive, I'm getting impatient!

howard
Feb 3, 2003, 10:17 PM
i like the g3 processor...its perfect for consumers...cheap, low heat and battery consumption.. and it can go a lot faster than it does right now...they should stick with it for the ibook in my opinion

rainman::|:|
Feb 4, 2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by howard
i like the g3 processor...its perfect for consumers...cheap, low heat and battery consumption.. and it can go a lot faster than it does right now...they should stick with it for the ibook in my opinion

it is definitely worthwhile, but it's capped by current G4 speeds at MOST, and G4's have altivec which is kind of a tradeoff for the heat/power consumption. Plus, the G3 is so old people are kind of thinking poorly of it...

i'll be so happy when the 970 is out :)

pnw

bennetsaysargh
Feb 4, 2003, 12:12 PM
there would be no difference if they came out with a G4 iBook. they would most likely have to redesign the case and there would be an extremly small diff with the 12inch PB

CrackedButter
Feb 4, 2003, 01:04 PM
eBook the latest laptop from apple with a 12" CRT screen incorporating a G3 850mhz processor. Including eBook stand.

Woohoo! ;)

WannabeSQ
Feb 4, 2003, 01:42 PM
I can see if Apple updates the iBook, they could move the 12" PB to the iBook section, make a 14" version of it, and update the 15" Powerbook to the 15.4 version with all the goodies from the 17. Probably in 6 months, after the "By the inch" hype has died off.

jefhatfield
Feb 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
that would be nice to have a g4 in an ibook...keep it cheap by having it in a plastic case to differentiate it from the metal cased 12" g4 powerbook

and if the spped of the g4 processor is slow at first, i won't mind...it still will run faster than a g3 at the same clock speed

it is about time for apple to go g4 all the way since the pc world has moved to better and faster processors a long time ago leaving the pentium 2, k6-2, and k6-3 processors behind (all chips which were competitors to the g3)

Bunzi2k4
Feb 4, 2003, 03:09 PM
i think an ibook g4 (or Ebook... i don't care what they call it) this old imac 350mghz isn't cutting it nymore...

Bunzi2k4
Feb 4, 2003, 03:10 PM
i think an ibook g4 (or Ebook... i don't care what they call it) will b good. this old imac 350mghz isn't cutting it nymore...

MacFan25
Feb 4, 2003, 05:50 PM
It would be nice to have a G4 iBook, but the only thing is, is that it would be too much like the 12" PowerBook.

jefhatfield
Feb 4, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
It would be nice to have a G4 iBook, but the only thing is, is that it would be too much like the 12" PowerBook.

though it does not have to be...make a few features in one pro and the other prosumer or consumer

GrizzlyHippo
Feb 5, 2003, 02:40 AM
I think the G4 iBook rumor (I first saw it on MOSR) is a smoke screen being put out by Apple to mask a serious revamp of the iBook.

It cannot be much longer before Apple incorporates Ink HWR into one of it's computer hardware designs. It has been in the OS for a while now, but surely not just for awkward hand writing through a Wacom. I think we will see a redesigned iBook to take it away from comparisons with the 12" PB and to enable kids (education market remember) to draw and write on the screen as per the old eMate.

As much as I would like a G4 iBook, I don't see it happening this time around. I do however think we will see a form change and higher speed G3's - 900Mhz to 1 Ghz top end.

A form change and shift back towards the education market would differentiate it enough to allow 1Ghz G3's, and lead the prosumers and techie execs who have been buying the top of the range iBooks for the past year or so to buy the new 12" PB instead - remember, there is a higher margin on the PB's for Apple, so they want these people to buy PB's, not iBooks.

Just my thoughts, all bollocks of course;)

Grizzly

P.S. UK iBook stocks at the distributors are nearly zero... new ones soon???

MacAficionado
Feb 5, 2003, 09:07 AM
Unless Apple wants to keep the G3, there will for sure be G4 iBooks, but that will happen after the Powermacs get the 970 PPC or whatever the next generation chip will be.

Maybe this means something?
;)

millhouse
Feb 5, 2003, 03:42 PM
ok this is my first post to a big thread like this so lets hope i get it right :) , i didnt read any of the before posts much so if i repeat someone im sorry! , anyhow someone said they wouldnt release a g4 ibook so soon since thats what the 12 inch powerbook is for, but then again yea the 12 inch powerbook is a g4 ibook, so maybe thats why they did it, to see how it would fare, so for all we know they could make a g4 ibook with not as much as the 12 inch powerbook which for all we know will get a speedbump in may, and we'd have a g4 ibook, i mean take the same board but make it ibookish, i dont know, i hope that came out how i wanted to, just a thought.

GeneR
Feb 5, 2003, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense for the a G4 iBook to come out when the 970's come out? Hopefully Superdrives will not be following the same time line. But who knows? They like to hold onto those darn Combo Drives. I think the Apple marketing would be better off if they said that all their laptops had the capabilities to burn DVDs. What a boon for those who want DVD burning capabilities... Oh well...

zach
Feb 14, 2003, 01:42 PM
there is a huge difference between the 12" powerbook and the 12" ibook that noone has said yet. THE iBOOK IS PLASTICE AND THE POWERBOOK IS METAL!

oh well, maybe there isn't so much of a difference...

:(

jefhatfield
Feb 14, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by zap23
there is a huge difference between the 12" powerbook and the 12" ibook that noone has said yet. THE iBOOK IS PLASTICE AND THE POWERBOOK IS METAL!

oh well, maybe there isn't so much of a difference...

:(

if they both have G4s, then make the 12" inch powerbook stay at 1799 but have the superdrive come standard

also make the powerbook have the capability to have a gig of ram

then there will be a noticeable difference

make the ibook top out at 1599 so there is a price diffrence, too and keep the superdrive for the powerbook only...for at least a few months

and also give the 12" inch powerbook dual display possibilities instead of just mirroring

JSRockit
Feb 17, 2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
I can just picture the G4 iBook being called an eBook!

I can't... eBook is already taken.

JSRockit
Feb 17, 2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by zap23
there is a huge difference between the 12" powerbook and the 12" ibook that noone has said yet. THE iBOOK IS PLASTICE AND THE POWERBOOK IS METAL!

oh well, maybe there isn't so much of a difference...

:(

People still think the iBook is more durable than the 12" pBook. I own both and it isn't...the 12" pBook is solid.

GeneR
Feb 24, 2003, 06:46 PM
An obook?
Or maybe even an ah!Book?
Or a uBook...

??? I dunno.

:D

samsflagdrummer
Feb 27, 2003, 11:33 PM
Once they get 970s into the powerbooks, they have to up the iBooks to G4s...

JSRockit
Feb 28, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by samsflagdrummer
Once they get 970s into the powerbooks, they have to up the iBooks to G4s...

Really? What if they dump Moto? Maybe they will go with a different IBM processor for their laptops.

NSObject
Feb 28, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by JSRockit
Really? What if they dump Moto? Maybe they will go with a different IBM processor for their laptops.

They have to dump Moto, but bringing G4 into the iBook, means giving Moto some time therefore. And I believe G4 iBook means other CPU's hoopefully IBM in the actual G4's

greets

JSRockit
Feb 28, 2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by NSObject
They have to dump Moto, but bringing G4 into the iBook, means giving Moto some time therefore. And I believe G4 iBook means other CPU's hoopefully IBM in the actual G4's

greets

But the iBook already uses an IBM processor...I think Apple is more likely to ditch moto altogether.