PDA

View Full Version : Why Are We Expecting New iBooks?

xflare
Apr 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
......based on rumours??......all of which have been terrible lately.

Some kind of Integrated mini/display at MWSF - wrong
Intel Mini at MWSF - wrong
new iPod Shuffle at MWSF - wrong
Intel iMac at MWSF - not predicted
30th Anniversary special event - wrong
New iBook at 30th event - wrong
Video iPod at 30th event - wrong

............and many more

What if there really is no 13" wide screen iBook? And lately when rumour sites get a "hit" it seems more likely the result of some statistical coincidence - i.e. predict as many things as possible, one is bound to be correct.

Subiklim
Apr 3, 2006, 02:56 PM
While the rumors are often reliable, it's harder to predict timetables. The people who supply the informations usually have tangable evidence that these products are currently being researched, and built. Dates and deadlines can't even be met by the manufacturer most of the time.

Are you suggesting that we won't be getting any new iBooks? That's a long shot. It's a great selling model, and in need of an update.

thehype31
Apr 3, 2006, 03:00 PM
I know exactly what you mean. There has been NO indication from apple as to a timetable when the powerPC lines will be discontinued, therefore, no one has any idea of when there will be an update to the iBook. For example, look at the many threads about how a new iBook would be shown at the 30th birthday event that never happened. Pure speculation, that's all it is.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 3, 2006, 03:06 PM
Some kind of Integrated mini/display at MWSF - wrong
Intel Mini at MWSF - wrong
new iPod Shuffle at MWSF - wrong
Intel iMac at MWSF - not predicted
30th Anniversary special event - wrong
New iBook at 30th event - wrong
Video iPod at 30th event - wrong

Just a quick correction, the Intel iMac was predicted by Apple Insider. A 30th Anniversary event could be any time soon. The 20th Anniversary iMac was released in Spring 1997.

wako
Apr 3, 2006, 03:07 PM
predict as many things as possible, one is bound to be correct.

That's Nostradamus for you :)

Only once in a blue moon could he actually get something right. Even when its right, its pretty vague and general.

~Shard~
Apr 3, 2006, 03:08 PM
Intel iBooks are due any day now. Really, they are. :p :D

Jaffa Cake
Apr 3, 2006, 03:13 PM
Intel iBooks are due any day now. Really, they are. :p :DNext Tuesday, most likely. :p ;)

Le Big Mac
Apr 3, 2006, 03:15 PM
There has been NO indication from apple as to a timetable when the powerPC lines will be discontinued,

haven't they said they'll move the entire product line to intel by the end of 2006?

Presumably there will be some intel version of the ibook. called something else. the fact that the macbook pro exists suggests they still plan to have a non-pro version of the laptop. Hence, the new ibook, called the macbook. all makes sense to me.

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 03:31 PM
Next Tuesday, most likely. :p ;)

Indeed- That is my prediction as well. :p :)

alexstein
Apr 3, 2006, 03:31 PM
Next Tuesday, most likely. :p ;)

...tomorrow....keeps fingers crossed.....:cool:

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
...tomorrow....keeps fingers crossed.....:cool:

Oh, my fingers have been crossed. :)

thehype31
Apr 3, 2006, 03:57 PM
haven't they said they'll move the entire product line to intel by the end of 2006?

Presumably there will be some intel version of the ibook. called something else. the fact that the macbook pro exists suggests they still plan to have a non-pro version of the laptop. Hence, the new ibook, called the macbook. all makes sense to me.

Opps... my bad. I remember hearing that as well... my point is not that there WON'T be a new form of the ibook, it was that there is no reason to believe that the release of it is as eminent as most here believe :cool:

mikes63737
Apr 3, 2006, 04:01 PM
I really don't care if we see new form factors... I would like to see a higher resolution screen (if even possible) and possibly a little bit thinner. And obviously Intel processors.

~Shard~
Apr 3, 2006, 04:07 PM
I really don't care if we see new form factors... I would like to see a higher resolution screen (if even possible) and possibly a little bit thinner. And obviously Intel processors.

Well, you don't have to worry about that last one at least - there is no way Apple would introduce a new iBook with a PowerPC chip in it. ;)

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 04:22 PM

I agree, a higher resolution screen, thinner & lighter form-factor, intel chip (Core Duo, not Core Solo please) and a better GPU (no integrated graphics crap) are on my iBook/MacBook wish list. :)

wordmunger
Apr 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
Whenever we get new iBooks, if the mini is any indicator, they will probably be more expensive than the current models.

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well, you don't have to worry about that last one at least - there is no way Apple would introduce a new iBook with a PowerPC chip in it. ;)

Well, that is one mystery that is out of the way. No more PowerPC chips for Apple (for better or for worse).

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
Whenever we get new iBooks, if the mini is any indicator, they will probably be more expensive than the current models.

Hopefully this is not the case...but it is probably what will happen. :o

esaleris
Apr 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
Don't forget our friend Integrated Graphics, too.

MacSA
Apr 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
Just a quick correction, the Intel iMac was predicted by Apple Insider. A 30th Anniversary event could be any time soon. The 20th Anniversary iMac was released in Spring 1997.

i don't remember Apple Insider making any firm predictions about the iMac......and even if they did, it goes back to the point raised by the original poster about making enough predictions that one is bound to be true.

Maybe we'll get a nice surprise tomorrow lol

dmw007
Apr 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Don't forget our friend Integrated Graphics, too.

NO, integrated graphics are not our friend! :eek: ;) :)