PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.4.6 Now Available

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Apr 3, 2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now available via Software Update:
The 10.4.6 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n303411.

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.

rye9
Apr 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yes!!! Ive been waiting for a couple weeks... hooray!!!:D

yippy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
Oooh, connecting to Cisco VPN servers. I hope this means that I can unistall the stupid Cisco VPN client and use Tigers built in client.

sebpayne
Apr 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
We wanted iBooks. We wanted Video iPods. We wanted video iTMS. We get a Mac OS X 10.4 update! Now, that's what Steve meant for the 30th birthday :D What more could you want ;-)

Anyway, some interesting stuff in there and thanks again Apple (seriously). If Apple can do .x fixes once every few months, it is amazing it takes Microsoft several years for a service pack!

Applespider
Now I'm hopeful that there might be some form of new hardware tomorrow. The last few updates have come alongside new Macs being announced or shipping.

jrober
45.3M may take a while on a busy Monday night net.

Anyone installed yet?

cantrdr
Apr 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
Regarding the reference to iCal & contacts syncing with mobile phones in the 10.4.6 update, has that always been the case or does this add any credibility to the iPhone chatter of late?

yippy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
45.3Mb, not fair, mine is 65.8.

I have 15" PowerBook running 10.4.5. Will be installing it shortly.

bluebomberman
Apr 3, 2006, 03:25 PM
Time to backup my home directory.:)

berkleeboy210
Finally!!! Hopefully I'll be able to connect to my Campus WiFi Tomorrow

alexstein
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes

It's about time that they do something about this issue. I'm still at work so I have to wait a little bit before I can do my update.

Good Luck with your Restart peoples.

russed
damn... its a biggie... i had better get the dial up connection going :(

Electro Funk

Anyone installed yet?

Installing on the iMac now... hmmmm.... where is my powerbook?

108mb for the Intel builds...

boncellis
Apr 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
Ah, so this refutes my previous suspicion that everyone at Apple had spent this weekend binge drinking, at least we get an update! Could this be a necessary precursor to something Apple plans to release in the near future?

10.4.6 is a pretty high number, I really wonder if we'll get all the way 10.4.9 with the anticipated release of Leopard creeping up. I, for one, can't wait.

Applespider
Notice this statement on the update page about using iSynch

iSync 2.2: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync

Instructions here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303419) on what you need to have done if you don't want to bork your synching...

PCMacUser
Anyway, some interesting stuff in there and thanks again Apple (seriously). If Apple can do .x fixes once every few months, it is amazing it takes Microsoft several years for a service pack!
Uh, 10.4.x updates are not the same as MS service packs. A Microsoft service pack is the equivalent of a 10.x update. They release bug fixes and security updates just as frequently as Apple.

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:27 PM
I'm up and running again...so far so good. Reboot was a little scary as it often is...three minutes of apple and spinner followed by an automatic reboot (as noted would happen in the online documentation), slight hang upon appearance of the Mac OS X "progress bar" window, and slow loading off menu bar, but it's all there now!

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 03:28 PM
Improvements:

Finder, networking, and logging in

802.1X login authentication configurations created in Internet Connect can now be used at the Mac OS X login window, too.

Addresses an issue in which, when at the login window, the computer would not shut down automatically at a time specified in Energy Saver Schedule preferences; for more information, see this article.

Prevents a potential issue in which Mac OS X might stop responding when trying to log in as a FileVault-protected user if the protected Home image file has been damaged or moved; instead, a "You are unable to log in to the user account (name) at this time." alert message appears.

Addresses an issue for home directories on AFP servers in which, after failing to burn a disc, an "error -61" alert message would appear when trying to delete the Burn Folder related to the unsuccessful burn.

If you change your login password at the Login window, you will now be given an opportunity to apply the same change to your default keychain.

You can now copy folders with files to an SMB-based server instead of only the folder being copied and this alert message appearing: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

Addresses an issue that could prevent MacBook Pro from printing to wireless printers via AppleTalk.

Improves iDisk (WebDAV file system) performance.

File and folder names that contain colon or forward slash ( "/") characters in the main directory of an iDisk or WebDAV volume no longer cause issues.

Resolves potential issues that could occur when using automatic proxy configuration (PAC) files.

Apple applications

Resolves an issue in which Mail could unexpectedly quit when lowering the quote level within a reply message.

Addresses an issue in which iChat, on an Intel-based Mac with a built-in iSight camera, could sometimes stop displaying video from the iSight camera until the computer was shut down and started up again.

Dragging a movie clip into iMovie 6 on an Intel-based Mac will no longer potentially cause some of the iMovie window to turn black.

Disk Utility's repair permissions feature will no longer report "We are using special permissions for..." messages.

Updates Calculator so that the percentage button ("%") will no longer divide, under certain circumstances, when you expect it to calculate percentage—this could happen in Mac OS X 10.4.3 through 10.4.5.

Resolves an issue that could cause Help Viewer to sometimes display a blank window.

Addresses some issues that could cause DVD Player to unexpectedly quit when playing a movie disc on an Intel-based Mac.

Terminal windows will no longer fail to open when using the /bin/zsh shell.

EXIF data is now exported with TIFF images in Aperture.

Aperture will no longer unexpectedly quit when exporting a file with keywords that contain twelve or more Cyrillic characters.

Resolves potential issues with several iPhoto Automator actions, such as Import Photos into iPhoto.

Includes iSync 2.2 which provides support for additional mobile phones. For more information, see iSync 2.2: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync.

Third-party applications

Resolves an issue in which Blizzard World of Warcraft character graphics could be distorted on an Intel-based Mac with a built-in graphics processor when vertex shaders are enabled.

The Command-H key combination now hides QuarkXPress 6 as expected when it is the front application.

Addresses an issue for Aspyr Media's True Crime: The Streets of LA game in which game movies are very dim on Intel-based Macs.

Addresses an issue for Microsoft Word 2004 in which Word would display a "Word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open" alert message when autosaving a document to a network-based home directory.

Improves character graphics appearance for Aspyr Media's The Sims House Party when running with Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac.

Other

Makes Mac OS X aware of United States Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes enacted by the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Clicking an unmounted iDisk icon in the Save As dialog window of an application running with Rosetta no longer causes the application to stop with a spinning cursor.

Spotlight is now better able to search the content of older Microsoft Word documents.

Addresses an issue in which some third-party applications might stop responding or unexpectedly quit when running on an Intel-based Mac if you disconnect or connect a display while the computer is on.

Addresses potential vnode reference count mismatches that could lead to a kernel panic.

Addresses USB audio issues for PowerPC Macs; for example, latency is improved.

Addresses several AppleScript issues, including: Preservation of property values in Script Menu, a potential Bonjour issue with "choose remote application", an invisible "choose application" dialog issue, and improved compatibility with Dashboard widgets and applications.

PCMacUser
Apr 3, 2006, 03:28 PM
It looks like the update hasn't reached the UK yet? I'm getting 'your software is up to date'...

memphismac
Apr 3, 2006, 03:29 PM
I recently bought an external hard drive for space/backups/etc. I've read stories about folks who, after updates, couldn't see their drives, had problems, etc.

What, if any, precautions should I take when dealing with my backup drive? (in addition to backing everything up first)

Pistol Pete

Anyone installed yet?

mine is 65.8.....PPC version if that makes a dif....

MacSyn
I have 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 is 108MB for me (Intel)... wow...

BWhaler
It looks to be a sizable update, which is great given the consistent quality issues in Tiger.

Here's hoping 10.4.6 marks the OSX team's transition to Leopard full time. I'm hoping 10.5 is a landmark upgrade, not in the history of OSX, but in the history all OS's.

Installing now...let's hope this doesn't hose my Macs...

MimUK
Apr 3, 2006, 03:32 PM
It looks like the update hasn't reached the UK yet? I'm getting 'your software is up to date'...

I first posted the update and I am in the UK

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:33 PM
Disk Utility's repair permissions feature will no longer report "We are using special permissions for..." messages.

That should make some people on here happy. I've seen a few "WTF is this?" threads about this recently.

mikes63737
Apr 3, 2006, 03:33 PM
Downloading right now.

I was wondering, have updates always come out this fast with Panther? I wouldn't know, got my first Mac over the summer.

Blue Velvet
Apr 3, 2006, 03:35 PM
The Command-H key combination now hides QuarkXPress 6 as expected when it is the front application.

Oh thank effing god.
Surprise, surprise... it wasn't a Quark problem.

berkleeboy210
Apr 3, 2006, 03:36 PM
Downloading Now... 108MB Download on MBP

rye9
why was this out today and not on tomorrow, tuesday? I know nobody has the answer, but it just puzzles me.:confused:

Armsreach
I recently bought an external hard drive for space/backups/etc. I've read stories about folks who, after updates, couldn't see their drives, had problems, etc.

What, if any, precautions should I take when dealing with my backup drive? (in addition to backing everything up first)

unmount your hard disc, unplug it and power it down. Do your update, restart the machine, make sure all is working well and then plugin in and power up your disc.

The previous issues with data being lost occured when updates were ran on machines with the drives mounted.

Wellander
Apr 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
Hi,
I will wait for standalone update to become avaible.

cmcconkey
Apr 3, 2006, 03:38 PM
I have just went looking for the update and Software update doesn't see it nor can I download it from the apple website. I go to the linked page and it sends me to a page that tells me what i am looking for cannot be found.

Christopher

Applespider
That should make some people on here happy. I've seen a few "WTF is this?" threads about this recently.

Such a shame... it was like an old friend.

The 'double' restart was a little concerning but all is now up and running and apparently OK although obviously much snappier™

mikes63737
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Edit: Ha, figured it out! Damn airport update! I don't know why I even installed it, I don't have airport.

QCassidy352
Apr 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
mmm... fix for spotlight searching word docs... please let this work!

Electro Funk
I have 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 is 108MB for me (Intel)... wow...

No doubt large... but i have to say... DL/installed/and back to desktop in under 2 or 3 mins!

maverick808
why was this out today and not on tomorrow, tuesday? I know nobody has the answer, but it just puzzles me.:confused:

So that they can install it on all the new iHomes, MacBooks, Mac Pros, iCenters and 13"/17" MBPs tonight so that they can all ship out with the new software when everyone orders them tomorrow. ;)

skwert
Apr 3, 2006, 03:40 PM
bugger...i just rebooted 30 mins ago for a keyboard clean.

skwert
Apr 3, 2006, 03:41 PM

umm....that sucks, hope it turned out ok

rye9
So that they can install it on all the new iHomes, MacBooks, Mac Pros, iCenters and 13"/17" MBPs tonight so that they can all ship out with the new software when everyone orders them tomorrow. ;)

I wish...

kettle
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1046combo.html

Am I looking for something at Apple.com?

Yes, the combo download please.

cmcconkey
Apr 3, 2006, 03:42 PM

I have been trying to bring a dual 1.8 G5 back up from a kernel panic and have been getting that everytime I would try to bring it up to 10.4.5. I will restart like it asks me to and then when it is done restarting it will just come up to the apple screen and stop. At this point I would have to archive and install again, I am just stuck and not sure what to do on the 1.8 G5.

Christopher

Josh396
Where are my updated video drivers for the Intel iMac?

Queso
iSync finally supports the Nokia 6230 and 6230i :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you Apple!!!! You have just made my week!! :)

iSync goes back in my Dock :)

EDIT : I got the model of my phone wrong. It's 6230 support that's added.

Pistol Pete
Apr 3, 2006, 03:43 PM

install the other updates available first.....that is ok if you get that message...

RELAX.

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 03:44 PM
why was this out today and not on tomorrow, tuesday? I know nobody has the answer, but it just puzzles me.:confused:This is simply an O.S. update, not a new product, so Apple's habit of releasing new products on Tuesday (which isn't always the case anyway) doesn't apply.

Jesus
Apr 3, 2006, 03:44 PM
for me it is 163 mb (intel)

hmmm

nagromme
Apr 3, 2006, 03:45 PM
I remember the good old days when I could look at each update hoping it would fix some issue I personally experience. Alas, Tiger is just plain solid for me! I think I'll skip this update for now.

45.3 MB isn't so bad though.

LagunaSol
Uh, 10.4.x updates are not the same as MS service packs. A Microsoft service pack is the equivalent of a 10.x update. They release bug fixes and security updates just as frequently as Apple.

You're kidding, right? I think it's wrong to equate a 10.4.x update to a Service Pack, but it's just as wrong (or moreso) to equate a Service Pack to a full 10.x upgrade. I use Windows (and OS X) and there weren't many differences I noticed when going from XP to XP SP1 to XP SP2. Under-the-hood stuff and plugging security holes, but major feature revisions? Not.

There are far more user-apparent differences between 10.2 and 10.4 than there are between XP and XP SP2.

Passante

Would you like fries with that combo?:D

AlBDamned
just d/loaded it. Repaired permissions and all that came up was one thing. Everything seems ok at the mo'.

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
Downloading right now.

I was wondering, have updates always come out this fast with Panther? I wouldn't know, got my first Mac over the summer.

More or less.

10.4.6: April 3, 2006
10.4.5: February 14, 2006
10.4.4: January 10, 2006
10.4.3: October 31, 2005
10.4.2: July 12, 2005
10.4.1: May 16, 2005
10.4.0: April 29, 2005

10.3.9: April 15, 2005
10.3.8: February 9, 2005
10.3.7: December 15, 2004
10.3.6: November 5, 2004
10.3.5: August 9, 2004
10.3.4: May 26, 2004
10.3.3: March 15, 2004
10.3.2: December 17, 2003
10.3.1: November 5, 2003
10.3.0: October 24, 2003

Dustintendo
just got a network timeout error.. no biggie, starting dl again., then im gonna go update my parents imac g3 700

MattyMac
Right On Brother!

hcuar

:mad: Bull.

SP 2 for Windows was no where near going from 10.3 to 10.4 in OS X. 10.x updates for Apple are full OS updates with major changes. The update today is more similar to service packs. MS is notoriously bad at providing updates. If you don't believe me, take a look at security issues for XP on secunia.com. Compare that to OS X. That's just security issues, not bugs.

supergod
Apr 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
Wow, a very large update indeed. I installed it and everything seems dandy.

monkeyandy
bugger...i just rebooted 30 mins ago for a keyboard clean.

WTF! A keyboard clean! What have you been doing to get it so dirty in the first place! 2 much time reading about MacBooks & Quad PowerMacs on MacRumours? ;)

Dustintendo
**** now its saying 2 hours... servers must be getting hammered

MacSyn
Apr 3, 2006, 03:48 PM
Finished updated (Intel, 108MB), rebooted, everything is fine.

Rebooted twice, loads fast on my 2G MBP.

Jaffa Cake
So that they can install it on all the new iHomes, MacBooks, Mac Pros, iCenters and 13"/17" MBPs tonight so that they can all ship out with the new software when everyone orders them tomorrow. ;)So... you don't think we'll be seeing a 30" Special Edition iMac (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191013&highlight=imac) tomorrow, then? ;)

BWhaler
I don't own a MacBook--yet--but I hope this update addresses the noise and the bluetooth and airport problems.

These problems appear to be software based, so I hope for Apple's sake this takes care of the problem.

milo

That's nothing. 168 meg for my intel mini.

The only thing I really care about is fixing the lousy airport on the intel macs. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dagless
Apr 3, 2006, 03:49 PM
ooh mad. mine just popped up so I came here to talk about it. hah.

45mb. coming down... NOW!

I don't know why but I have some love for updates. Just to see a progress bar and my computer getting BETTER. I'm probably alone in this :)
My idea of heaven would be to reinstall Tiger again and the base versions of my applications. then sit back and watch as they all updated.

keith34595
Apr 3, 2006, 03:49 PM
I have done the software update a number of times and it keeps saying my software is up to date. What do I need to do?

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
just d/loaded it. Repaired permissions and all that came up was one thing. Everything seems ok at the mo'.

I had several Flash permissions repaired...that's it.

conradzoo
Anyone with aperture, does it recognize the Nikon D200?

nihilisticmonk
Installed here, appears all ok so far!
Here's the traditional Macrumors OS Update greeting of "Safari appears faster" :D :rolleyes: <JOKE>

Roll on the Aperture update soon :cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 3, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hmmm... my iBook did a double restart (restarted, ran the grey screen for a while, then restarted again) and was very slow up the other time... seems to be fine now...

Only issue (I've found so far) is that MainMenu refuses to work... :( ...had to repair permission the old fashion way... very nice to not have all those warnings... :)

moesker007
Apr 3, 2006, 03:52 PM
Hey...i thought it was smaller then 65.8 MB, that's what mine is showing it dosen't matter but i was just wondering.

nagromme
Apr 3, 2006, 03:52 PM
"MacBook Pro from printing to wireless printers via AppleTalk"

Now THAT'S a microcosm of computing history! It would never have occurred to me to try such a thing.

My idea of heaven would be to reinstall Tiger again and the base versions of my applications. then sit back and watch as they all updated.
To each his own :) You might really enjoy Windows too ;)

rye9
Apr 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
I hope this update could lead to new products tomorrow... and new updates too. Pages hasn't been updated since it was released.. I think there will be more software updates tomorrow. Ill wait a day to update to 10.4.6 I guess.

plinden
Has anyone who has the slow Airport problem installed this? That's the only thing I want fixed.

Dagless
Ok! What in gods gracious earth just happened?!

I press Accept or whatever. Accept the EULA, enter password. hmm. it didn't even download. just said installing and is now asking me to restart!

... I've only got a 512kb connection speed too.

Any pro's care to explain what just happened? or does Software Update download automatically sometimes? MY HEAD SPLODES!

revjay
After installing osx update on my imac G5 isight...I quickly checked front row...I can once again watch movie trailers in Front Row.

edit: I spoke too soon...they've quit working again.

DTphonehome
Apr 3, 2006, 03:55 PM
WOOHOO!!! I KNEW THERE WOULD BE SOMETHING BIG FOR THE 30TH BIRTHDAY!!! GET OUT YOUR PARTY HATS AND BUZZERS PEOPLE! It's time to celebrate!

Lyle
Regarding the reference to iCal & contacts syncing with mobile phones in the 10.4.6 update, has that always been the case or does this add any credibility to the iPhone chatter of late?No, we've been able to sync with mobile phones for a long time. Some other comments in this thread suggest that Apple added (or fixed) support for some phones, but this isn't a new capability.

p0intblank
Whew... longest reboot ever! It actually rebooted twice. :eek: It sat at the Apple logo screen for a few minutes and then restarted with the dong sound again. I was scared for a minute... but everything running just fine. :D

Thanks, Apple! Now introduce a new product tomorrow. ;)

Some_Big_Spoon
Apr 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
Well, this came outta no where.. Time to open up the .pkg and look for more unit numbers >:-)

stevieled
Apr 3, 2006, 03:57 PM
just installed and about to restart

im not sure if anyone said this already, but the update is not on apple's support downloads page...it isnt mentioned at all on their site...

maybe they will put it on their site along with whatever new might be coming out

or maybe im just dreaming.....

DTphonehome
Regarding the speculation that this update precedes some big product announcement: Has Apple ever made a BIG product announcement completely unnanounced? There's no event scheduled for tomorrow, not even a "media event". So how can anyone expect something huge tomorrow (like MacBooks)? And is there any event coming up at all?

rye9
just installed and about to restart

im not sure if anyone said this already, but the update is not on apple's support downloads page...it isnt mentioned at all on their site...

maybe they will put it on their site along with whatever new might be coming out

or maybe im just dreaming.....

The update was just added to apple.com

N10248
Apr 3, 2006, 03:58 PM
Whew... longest reboot ever! It actually rebooted twice. :eek: It sat at the Apple logo screen for a few minutes and then restarted with the dong sound again. I was scared for a minute... but everything running just fine. :D

Thanks, Apple! Now introduce a new product tomorrow. ;)

Mine did the same (Rev B iMac G5)
fine so far though

colinp
Hmmm... my iBook did a double restart (restarted, ran the grey screen for a while, then restarted again) and was very slow up the other time... seems to be fine now...

My 12" PBook did the same.. No problems on my end either, so I'm happy.

And oh yeah, Safari seems faster ;)

BWhaler

Me too.

Come on Apple, let's not be so sloppy. This is the type of stuff that Intuit and Microsoft is famous for.

Photorun
Apr 3, 2006, 03:59 PM
Ran update (64MBs give or take), restart hung a bit (seems to always do so after an update) and everything seems fine with Mail, Safari, and most of Adobe CS apps and Flash open with files going.

Seems more, how do you say... SNAPPY?:D

Just kidding, it seems like the same 'puter before the update.:rolleyes:

Oh, and it was on a Rev A G5 1.8 DP PowerMac for those keeping score at home.

treblah
It's 163MB for my 10.4.5 up to date MBP. Gonna wait for the combo just to be on the safe side.

Anyone know if 'the hiss/whine of death' is gone?

EDIT: Combo for Intel (191MB) (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1046comboforintel.html)

p0intblank
Why are some people voting Negative?

Apr 3, 2006, 04:00 PM
Actually the nicest improvement is the level of published detail in terms of fixes for the update, along with specific fixes for third-party products...really great to see that Apple is getting more and more careful about sharing information with its users, and interacting in a good way with developers...GO APPLE!

keith34595
Why is 10.4.6 not recorded on the download page? http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ I can not get it to come up on my software update either, keeps saying my software is up to date.

Temujin
So this is the 30th Anniversary surprice we have been waiting for?

QCassidy352
Apr 3, 2006, 04:01 PM
nope, didn't fix spotlight. :( Still won't find certain word files...

wilmor42
Apr 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
mine's rapidly on its way :D
booyah for tommorrow-better be good steve..

rye9
Apr 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
I never downloaded the Security Updates... v. 1.0 or 1.1. Do I automatically download the 2006 v. 1.1 Security Update in 10.4.6?

oliverlubin
Apr 3, 2006, 04:04 PM
at this rate they'll be RELEASING 10.5 at WWDC late this summer...

Apr 3, 2006, 04:04 PM

Try to rebuild your Spotlight index...

conradzoo
Apr 3, 2006, 04:05 PM
Being in the Mac Universe for only 1/12 months (Intel Imac) I just keep wondering how come we all (as in I too) feel a Mac update is as a celebration (look, mine is 65; yeeha mine is 108!!), but a windows update like a defeat?

Strange folks we are. :D

I never downloaded the Security Updates... v. 1.0 or 1.1. Do I automatically download the 2006 v. 1.1 Security Update in 10.4.6?

Pls read the release...it includes ALL previous security updates...

PCMacUser
You're kidding, right? I think it's wrong to equate a 10.4.x update to a Service Pack, but it's just as wrong (or moreso) to equate a Service Pack to a full 10.x upgrade. I use Windows (and OS X) and there weren't many differences I noticed when going from XP to XP SP1 to XP SP2. Under-the-hood stuff and plugging security holes, but major feature revisions? Not.

There are far more user-apparent differences between 10.2 and 10.4 than there are between XP and XP SP2.
No of course you're not going to notice many differences in XP Service Packs - most things are behind the scenes. Just like how I only noticed three differences between 10.3 and 10.4: Spotlight, Dashboard, and Automator. There might have been more, but I didn't notice.

Now if only Software Update would work... it's still telling me that 10.4.5 is the latest...

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:07 PM
Why is 10.4.6 not recorded on the download page? http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ I can not get it to come up on my software update either, keeps saying my software is up to date.

Check again! Better to wait until it appears in Software Update though...it'll automatically give you the proper version for your setup.

keith34595
Apr 3, 2006, 04:07 PM
Now if only Software Update would work... it's still telling me that 10.4.5 is the latest...

Mine is telling me the same thing too and I do not know why.

Fiveos22
Apr 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
Improvements:

lots of typing

Thank you Apple Knowledge base...I mean MacRumors.

jono_3
Apr 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
hmmm something feels....you could say, "snappier" :p

PCMacUser
Apr 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
:mad: Bull.

SP 2 for Windows was no where near going from 10.3 to 10.4 in OS X. 10.x updates for Apple are full OS updates with major changes. The update today is more similar to service packs. MS is notoriously bad at providing updates. If you don't believe me, take a look at security issues for XP on secunia.com. Compare that to OS X. That's just security issues, not bugs.
Suit yourself. Bubbles can be great places to live.

supremedesigner
Apr 3, 2006, 04:11 PM
We wanted iBooks. We wanted Video iPods. We wanted video iTMS. We get a Mac OS X 10.4 update! Now, that's what Steve meant for the 30th birthday :D What more could you want ;-)

And don't forget we want Closed Caption (or subtitles) for movies and TV shows! :p

Stella
Apr 3, 2006, 04:11 PM
I get an "unexpected error has occurred".

Someone posted a message saying they had the same thing - something to do with Airport... but how did they fix it?

bigandy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
aaah, me powerbook just took 6 seconds to download the 45.3mb.

:D the joys of an academic network connection!

QCassidy352
Apr 3, 2006, 04:13 PM
Try to rebuild your Spotlight index...

well, i've tried that before with no success. I guess I can give it another shot with this update... but I'm not at all hopeful.

Grimace
Apr 3, 2006, 04:15 PM
If Apple history stays true, a software update on Monday means a new product on Tuesday!!!

Eraserhead
Apr 3, 2006, 04:18 PM
Suit yourself. Bubbles can be great places to live.
I think that Microsoft and Apple update differently... Though Microsoft's updates are mostly security not bugfixes. If they did more bugfixes their software would probably be described as as stable as Apple's (though I personally didn't have any major problems with XP, but I also had no problems with 10.4.1, though 10.4.3 was very buggy.).

rdbishop
Apr 3, 2006, 04:19 PM
Well if the Aperture update was awaiting 10.4.6 maybe we will see it this week after all. I hope so, as i've been waiting impatiently to get it running on my Intel mini.

bryce21
Apr 3, 2006, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know what new phones are supported in iSync? I'm not seeing any updates on the supported devices page yet.

macam
Apr 3, 2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah ... you and me both... I'm going to patiently wait for this... But I hate to wait... :mad:

tag
Apr 3, 2006, 04:21 PM
More or less.

10.3.0: October 24, 2003

I'm not up on system versioning prior to Panther(as I switched during the Tiger release), but is 10.x.9 a standard or will there be a possibility of going higher (10.4.10+) (or lower even) before 10.5 is released?

PCMacUser
Apr 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
I think that Microsoft and Apple update differently... Though Microsoft's updates are mostly security not bugfixes. If they did more bugfixes their software would probably be described as as stable as Apple's (though I personally didn't have any major problems with XP, but I also had no problems with 10.4.1, though 10.4.3 was very buggy.).
Yes I agree. They operate in different climates...

cantrdr
Apr 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
iSync finally supports the Nokia 6230 and 6230i :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you Apple!!!! You have just made my week!! :)

iSync goes back in my Dock :)

EDIT : I got the model of my phone wrong. It's 6230 support that's added.

I launched iSync after the update, and i get "Your phone....does not work with this version of iSync" how did you find out it works with a 6230?

swindmill
Apr 3, 2006, 04:23 PM
I was able to download and install, but the "Quit" button is non-responsive. Would I be OK just restarting?

PCMacUser
Yeah ... you and me both... I'm going to patiently wait for this... But I hate to wait... :mad:
Software Update still isn't working, but it's showing up on the website now!

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

frenetic
haven't tested everything but everything seems ok to me

Queso
Does anyone know what new phones are supported in iSync? I'm not seeing any updates on the supported devices page yet.

I can only say (again, yeah I'm getting repetitive) that the Nokia 6230 and 6230i are now supported, but that probably also goes for all Nokia Series 49 phones.

zv470
Apr 3, 2006, 04:24 PM
anxiety.... is mine the biggest? ;)

pavetheforest
Apr 3, 2006, 04:24 PM
oh, tomorrow will bring GREAT news....:D

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44375&d=1144098261

joshwest
Apr 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
my update was extremly speedy on my PowerBook, and everything is running snappier.

amateurmacfreak
Apr 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, so I found out about 10.4.6, and I thought, ok, happy, good.
This update it large! 65.8MB for PPC!
So I got to software update. When downloading this with the iPod updater, I got the first screen attached here. Then I did it individually, but egads! :eek:
At first it said 2 hours to wait, and I thought that was quite long!
Now it says 52 or nothing at all for the hours. :( Wow.
Can't wait until I get this thing installed....:rolleyes:
Is this just the server being slammed or is something wrong? I'm on a cable modem, a little over 4Mbps download speed. This is psycho to me. I've never had it be like this.
EDIT: Whee! Down to 31 hours!:rolleyes: Oh, crap, up again.
EDIT x2: New ss attached. Won't work! And I'm connected to the internet, obviously. Mmk... I'm taking a chance of sounding really dumb. But can this be because the server's slammed?

Queso
Apr 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
I launched iSync after the update, and i get "Your phone....does not work with this version of iSync" how did you find out it works with a 6230?

I just successfully synced with mine for the first time since I bought it. It doesn't show up as a 6230 in the iSync bar, but it works. All my contacts are now on the phone.

Peace
Apr 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
I get an "unexpected error has occurred".

Someone posted a message saying they had the same thing - something to do with Airport... but how did they fix it?

Go to ~/library/Caches/ and delete the .com.Apple.SoftwareUpdates cache

You should be able to d/l the update then

The_Roo
Apr 3, 2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know whether someone has already posted about this but iSync now lets you sync up to a month ago and up to a year in the future for calendar entries with your phone. This works great on my K750i

Nice one Apple!!

Kenny

vincentf
Apr 3, 2006, 04:31 PM
10.4.6 is a pretty high number, I really wonder if we'll get all the way 10.4.9 with the anticipated release of Leopard creeping up. I, for one, can't wait.

There is no reason they need to stop at 10.4.9. They could go to 10.4.10 or beyond. The version number isn't a decimal.

joshysquashy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
Now you can choose to sync your calendar 6 months or a year ahead of time, also the option to sync it till forever, but... wont that take forever with repeating events??!!!

boncellis
Apr 3, 2006, 04:33 PM
There is no reason they need to stop at 10.4.9. They could go to 10.4.10 or beyond. The version number isn't a decimal.

I didn't mean to imply that it was--I'll thank you for not putting words in my mouth... ;)

I was merely referring to the precedent set with Panther.

berkleeboy210
Apr 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hopefully this is a sign of more things to come this week.

technicolor
Apr 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
Just updated my MBP

it says Airport was updated...mine was working fine, I hope it doesnt start act funny now. :rolleyes:

joshysquashy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
I didn't mean to imply that it was--I'll thank you for not putting words in my mouth... ;)

I was merely referring to the precedent set with Panther.

I think apple has not gone past .9 in the past, so as not to confuse ppl, doesnt mean they can't but they probably wont. for the same reason, .7 or .8 could be the last one before the next big version.

iHeartTheApple
Apr 3, 2006, 04:36 PM

'Cause tomorrow the new MacBooks, 12"/17" MBPs, vPod, and iTablet are being released...;) :o Here's to hoping...

Downloading now...woohoo! :D

Apr 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
Ok, 45.3 Mb on my iMac G5 ALS...everything perfect and snappy so far, as usual...repaired permissions before and after, and all systems GO!

p.s.: best improvement for this update: no more gibberish on the Disk Utility's repair permissions window!! YESS!!! :)

p.s.2: just discovered that the update reverted Mail buttons to Tiger standards...I was using the haxie for Panther ones...it's alright..!

SteveM
Apr 3, 2006, 04:37 PM
Ok! What in gods gracious earth just happened?!

I press Accept or whatever. Accept the EULA, enter password. hmm. it didn't even download. just said installing and is now asking me to restart!

... I've only got a 512kb connection speed too.

Any pro's care to explain what just happened? or does Software Update download automatically sometimes? MY HEAD SPLODES!

You probably have your preferences set to automatically download software updates.

Applespider
Apr 3, 2006, 04:39 PM
I don't know whether someone has already posted about this but iSync now lets you sync up to a month ago and up to a year in the future for calendar entries with your phone. This works great on my K750i

Well spotted... that was always a slight irritation when I was trying to be super-organised!

It also seems to handle all-day events differently but I haven't figured out the ins-and-outs of it yet.

Now if they'd only add synching the pictures like the p800/900 did, I'd be happy.

cantrdr
Apr 3, 2006, 04:40 PM
I just successfully synced with mine for the first time since I bought it. It doesn't show up as a 6230 in the iSync bar, but it works. All my contacts are now on the phone.

Had you updated the firmware on your Nokia 6230 in order for it to work. iSync can find my bluetooth connection with the 6230 but when I go to add the phone it says it's not compatible...definitely the 6230 yeah?

aegisdesign
Apr 3, 2006, 04:40 PM
No of course you're not going to notice many differences in XP Service Packs - most things are behind the scenes. Just like how I only noticed three differences between 10.3 and 10.4: Spotlight, Dashboard, and Automator. There might have been more, but I didn't notice.

So you missed the completely new interface in Mail? RSS built in to Safari? New Preferences? Finder Smart Folders? Burnable Folders? Fast updates in Finder if you update a file in a shell? Built in Slideshows? Migration Assistant? And those are just the obvious ones.

Here's the rest...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

Equating that with an XP service pack is wrong. Up until XP SP2, I don't think I ever came across a new feature being added in a Windows service pack and I've been using Windows 2.11. SP2 added features that should have been there from the start and still missed out features like burning DVDs.

We've had more features in a minor OSX release than some full Windows releases.

Aarow
Apr 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
Ugh, I hate having slow internet. But if this makes my Mac feel, how do you say, "snappier" I guess I'll d/l it.:cool:

DTphonehome
Apr 3, 2006, 04:41 PM

Is that for real, and from this year? I haven't seen that yet!

Stella
Apr 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks, but I can't do that at the moment - my PowerBook is hosed - won't boot up :-(

Thanks Apple.

Go to ~/library/Caches/ and delete the .com.Apple.SoftwareUpdates cache

You should be able to d/l the update then

aegisdesign
Apr 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
I think apple has not gone past .9 in the past, so as not to confuse ppl, doesnt mean they can't but they probably wont. for the same reason, .7 or .8 could be the last one before the next big version.

Do we have to have this discussion every year? :eek:

Queso
Apr 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
Had you updated the firmware on your Nokia 6230 in order for it to work. iSync can find my bluetooth connection with the 6230 but when I go to add the phone it says it's not compatible...definitely the 6230 yeah?

Yeah, it's definitely a 6230. Never updated it but there might be something different with my Mac to yours. I tried this tip http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050422125043439 a few months back and added a 6230 section into the Meta file. The section is still there even after the update, the only difference now is that it actually works.

EDIT : There's also a 6230i section which I definitely didn't add. Check your file and it should be there even without the tip. Also on second run the icon is now a 6230. This is an Apple addition, although I'll leave the URL in above so you can check the files are there.

jellocat
Apr 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
Is that for real, and from this year? I haven't seen that yet!

You haven't seen it yet because he just made it! :p

neilio
Apr 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
Anyone got the build numbers for the PPC and Intel?

ITASOR
Apr 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
After installing, the computer restarted making a "bong". Then halfway into the open firmware screen (gray apple), it restarted AGAIN with the bong and started up fine. Weird, but it's working great now.

Everything feels way snappier. I'd say at least a 230% speed increase

Butler Trumpet
Apr 3, 2006, 04:49 PM
Took about 20 minutes to restart, and in the middle of restart before it finished.... it restarted again!?!?! Then it loaded spotlight and nothing else for about 5 minutes.....
now its working though, just scary.

macam
Apr 3, 2006, 04:49 PM
You are definitely the man!!!!

and 183Mb downloading now dude!

Software Update still isn't working, but it's showing up on the website now!

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

ChrisFromCanada
Apr 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
THEY HAVE FIXED AIRPORT ON MY INTEL MINI. SIGNAL STRENGTH BETTER THAN EVER!

I scanned over the thread and hadn't seen any reports yet so here is your early indication!

JZ Wire
Wow that was fast. If they stop at .9 as in the past, id imagine that Leopard is not too far off. I mean, just three more updates (supposedly) and we are only in April? Cool! :)

Taurus084
Anyone tried to get on a LEAP network with 10.4.6 yet??

mrzippy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:52 PM
They still haven't fixed the time zone bug in Mail.

In the UK Mail shows BDT for summer time, when it should be BST.

I reported this back at 10.4, 6 revisions later and it's still not fixed.

In system preferences it correctly says BST.

Also the hide automatically for launch at login apps still does not work on iChat and Mail - reported that back at 10.4 as well.

bursty
Apr 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
45mb on my PB and MacMini

Installed and working fine. :)

cal6n
Apr 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
Do we have to have this discussion every year? :eek:

Yes we do. It's traditional. Just like the traditional "Flaming of the 'tards" that follows!

:D

baddaddy
Apr 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
The last couple of updates to the OS have been done within a day or two or new products. Either something new is coming out, or Steve is a sadist for putting this up on a Monday!:D

pavetheforest
ehhhhhh i dont have a mac yet :( but i'm going to react similar to this kid when i get my macBook http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=471

hahahah intel macBook....OH MY GOD!!!:cool:

crispoe
10.4.6 has fixed all of my wired ethernet problems with VOIP and 8021q problems... The problem is documented here.. I am sure many will be happy.. I know I am- I was about to return my mac book.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=378673

simie
After installing, the computer restarted making a "bong". Then halfway into the open firmware screen (gray apple), it restarted AGAIN with the bong and started up fine. Weird, but it's working great now.

Everything feels way snappier. I'd say at least a 230% speed increase

My Dual 2.5 PPC did exactly the same. working still though.

milo
Apr 3, 2006, 04:55 PM
Anyone got the build numbers for the PPC and Intel?

PPC is 8l127.

Intel is 8l1119.

ITASOR
Apr 3, 2006, 04:57 PM
My Dual 2.5 PPC did exactly the same. working still though.

So did the person's who posted right under me. Maybe it's intentional?

MacNut
Apr 3, 2006, 04:58 PM
wow that took a long time, my computer rebooted twice.

[Note from moderator to those reading this thread: This has since been explained as the expected behavior on Power-PC Macs, and the news story has been updated to mention that fact.]

zagato27
Apr 3, 2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, just saw the news bout the new update. I'll try it but I'm cringing a bit. I originally downloaded 10.4.5 and then the number pad on my Macally Icekey keyboard wouldn't work. The Logitech MX1000 laser mouse developed problems ie. the application button would no longer function (it still isn't working). I had to go back to 10.4.4. Number pad is working but still issues with the mouse. Arrrrrgh, am I gonna do this? I'll be back.....maybe. Cheers

Elijahg
Apr 3, 2006, 04:59 PM
I wonder what it does on the first startup... I started in verbose mode and it reset the IOCatalogue and registered something called KernelExtensionServer.

Stella
Apr 3, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hmm.. wonder if that is what happened to my machine.. it sits there at the Apple logo ( during reboot ) with the progress circle rotating.. maybe I should be a bit more patient ( than waiting 10 minutes for it to do nothing ).

Took about 20 minutes to restart, and in the middle of restart before it finished.... it restarted again!?!?! Then it loaded spotlight and nothing else for about 5 minutes.....
now its working though, just scary.

york2600
Apr 3, 2006, 05:00 PM

Windows XP SP2 broke the mold for what Microsoft considers a Service Pack to be. A service pack is usually all the hotfixes that have been released over the past year or so. It tends to from several hundred to around 500 hotfixes. Each hotfix addresses a security hole or a particular bug. If you are feeling brave you can go download individual hotfixes and install them to fix bugs, but they're been known to toast machines. Service packs are tested to ensure a certain level of quality from the OS. Once you start installing hotfixes besides critical updates (which are also hotfixes) you're running a configuration that most likely isn't getting tested by MS.

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm.. wonder if that is what happened to my machine.. it sits there at the Apple logo ( during reboot ) with the progress circle rotating.. maybe I should be a bit more patient ( than waiting 10 minutes for it to do nothing ).

Yes...the online doc for the update states that PPC machines will reboot twice...mine did.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411

Butler Trumpet
Apr 3, 2006, 05:02 PM
So did the person's who posted right under me. Maybe it's intentional?

yeah it must be... it was really weird... i was reading my new MacWorld that came today, and i heard another bong... was like.... WTF???

its okay now though

MacsAre1

I'm guessing an answer. This includes the daylight savings time changes, so they may have had the update ready last week but needed to wait until after the date for changing clocks passed for this year. So they released it Mon. after the clocks changed in the U.S. in order to avoid changing people's clocks early.

That, and we'll see intel iBooks/Macbooks Tuesday ;-)

Oh, and I'm scared to run this update because I don't know what it will do to The Missing Sync with the iSync update. Anybody out there using The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile tried the update yet?

mark!
My MacBook Pro update was 163 MB and my software was up-to-date yesterday...hmm...I wonder why it's so huge?

Elijahg
Apr 3, 2006, 05:05 PM
p.s.2: just discovered that the update reverted Mail buttons to Tiger standards...I was using the haxie for Panther ones...it's alright..!

It did...?

mdavey
Apr 3, 2006, 05:05 PM

163 MB :( (Mac mini Intel Solo, first software update since using migration assistant).

joshysquashy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
My MacBook Pro update was 163 MB and my software was up-to-date yesterday...hmm...I wonder why it's so huge?

Because it is a major update, it lumps together many security updates, a new version of isync, a bunch of network fixes amongst other things. as people have said, think of this as a service pack.

LagunaSol
Apr 3, 2006, 05:09 PM
Just like how I only noticed three differences between 10.3 and 10.4: Spotlight, Dashboard, and Automator.

Which pretty much sums up the difference between XP and Vista (i.e. a major new OS release, not a Service Pack). Oh, wait, no MSSpotlight now. Or MSAutomator. You do get MSDashboard and MSExpose though. And MSAqua. I mean, um, Aero. ;)

LagunaSol
Apr 3, 2006, 05:16 PM
Oh, and I guess the serious OpenGL optimization that was rumored for 10.4.6 was just a rumor after all, huh?

Wish Apple would get on that. Now that we have Intel hardware, we should expect (demand?) game performance parity with the PC world. Well, for the 2 games we have on our platform, that is. :rolleyes:

treblah
Apr 3, 2006, 05:16 PM

Have you tried this solution (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.system/browse_thread/thread/bb7c4db2ad5a10ea/cb9b712d8d3faff5?lnk=st&q=spotlight+word&rnum=5#cb9b712d8d3faff5)? Worked for me.

mrzippy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
wow that took a long time, my computer rebooted twice.

I was worried, mine rebooted twice too.

Odd.

joshysquashy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:23 PM

Odd.
If you look at the information on apple's website, it says it reboots twice for all ppc computers

WildCowboy

Odd.

NOT ODD!!

Sorry...this isn't meant to be directed at any one individual. There are just tons of people commenting about how strange this is, yet the second bullet point in the supporting documentation mentions that this will happen. RTFM.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411

bluebomberman
Great. It broke my Blogger widget.

EDIT: Never mind, Google's forums indicate this problem emerged several days ago.

wilmor42
Apr 3, 2006, 05:24 PM
mine rebooted twice-i think its becoming normal with the software updates as im sure its happened to me before.. ran some maintenance scripts, started up my usual apps.. seems a bit snappier.. pah - thats it till tomorrow

Multimedia
Apr 3, 2006, 05:30 PM
Did my usual Repair Permissions prior to running the 10.4.6 Combo installer (135MB PPC) with the Disk Utility. Usual long line of "repairs". Ran the combo on both 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 and the Quad. Both installed in a matter of 2-3 minutes including optimization. But here's the interesting part:

They both Double restarted after the update and they BOTH display ZERO permission repairs when running repair permissions after running the 10.4.6 Combo updater from 10.4.5 on both.

That is remarkable. I've never seen "Repair Permissions" run without correcting something. So this update must fix a ton of stuff that have been scrambled in the OS for quite a while. :) :D :p ;) :cool:

jonharris200
Apr 3, 2006, 05:30 PM
Text edit is definitely faster now. Definitely.

alexprice
Apr 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
I'm glad the calculator issue is resolved!!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=159431&highlight=calculator+wrong

Alex

aegisdesign
Apr 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
It did...?

Yup. Mail for me reverted back to the horrible round buttons they introduced in 10.4. I ran CageFighter again and they were gone, again.

mrzippy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
Did it state the double reboot in Software update, I did not notice.

I have since seen the linked document on the Apple site.

britomatic
Apr 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
Just installed the 10.4.6 update. After the 2 reboots others have mentioned I repaired permissions and rebooted again.

Mail will not load. After a long period of spinning beachball, I get the error:

Mail cannot update your mailboxes because your home directory is full.

You must free us some space in your home directory folder before using Mail. Delete unneeded documents or move documents to another volume.

I have 10 gig free on the drive.

Also, my iPod will not update since 10.4.6. iTunes loads then, after another long period of spinning beachball, I get the error:

The iPod "Video iPod"cannot be updated. The disk could not be read from or written to.

Other areas of the OS now feature extended spinning beachball action too.

Any suggestions?

Chris.

Peace
Apr 3, 2006, 05:35 PM
Just installed the 10.4.6 update. After the 2 reboots others have mentioned I repaired permissions and rebooted again.

You must free us some space in your home directory folder before using Mail. Delete unneeded documents or move documents to another volume.

Also, my iPod will not update since 10.4.6. iTunes loads then, after another long period of spinning beachball, I get the error:

The iPod "Video iPod"cannot be updated. The disk could not be read from or written to.

Any suggestions?

Chris.

"I have 10 gig free on the drive."

Get a bigger hard drive

sorry I thought you said 10 MEG..duh..

bemylover
Apr 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
took a while to restart, I almost got scared.

mrzippy
Apr 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
Did my usual Repair Permissions prior to running the 10.4.6 Combo installer (135MB PPC) with the Disk Utility. Usual long line of "repairs". Ran the combo on both 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 and the Quad. Both installed in a matter of 2-3 minutes including optimization. But here's the interesting part:

They both Double restarted after the update and they BOTH display ZERO permission repairs when running repair permissions after running the 10.4.6 Combo updater from 10.4.5 on both.

That is remarkable. I've never seen "Repair Permissions" run without correcting something. So this update must fix a ton of stuff that have been scrambled in the OS for quite a while. :) :D :p ;) :cool:

It states in the release notes that special permissions messages are no longer shown, they are not changes just statements - so most times when you have run it is information saying that it is using special permissions for a file, not that it changed anything.

dr_lha
Apr 3, 2006, 05:40 PM
Wireless firmware is updated to 0.1.17, and I've noticed a stronger signal on my Mini (even though I never had the wifi problems that others had). Hopefully this will help a lot of Intel Mac users.

mduser63
Apr 3, 2006, 05:41 PM
It looks like they've added Motorola RAZR V3c support to iSync. However, they are saying that if you have a third party add on installed to support your phone, you should remove it (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303419) before upgrading or syncing won't work. That's all fine, except for one thing. There is a note at the bottom of the iSync device support page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html) saying that calendar syncing is not supported for the Verizon version of the V3c. I have the Verizon V3c, and with Brian Toth's V3c iSync plugin (http://www.briantoth.com/razr_v3c/), calendar syncing works fine for me. If I'm going to lose that, I'm not so sure I'm interested in updating. Anyone know anything about this? If I upgrade and then reinstall Brian Toth's plugin, do you think iSync will use it and correctly sync calendars?

There are at least two other fixes listed in this upgrade that I've been specifically hoping for, but I don't want to upgrade if it's going to break my ability to sync my phone.

iGary
Apr 3, 2006, 05:42 PM

No, it just doesn't show the messages any longer.

Multimedia
Ah, so this refutes my previous suspicion that everyone at Apple had spent this weekend binge drinking, at least we get an update! Could this be a necessary precursor to something Apple plans to release in the near future?

10.4.6 is a pretty high number, I really wonder if we'll get all the way 10.4.9 with the anticipated release of Leopard creeping up. I, for one, can't wait.Well it's onlny been 6 weeks since 10.4.5 came out. With 9 months left until MacWorld SF and the SteveNote January 9, 2007, we should only expect the last three updates to flow with the beginning of each season. 10.4.7 for Summer, 10.4.8 for Fall and 10.4.9 sometime just before Leopard ships in January (or sooner). :D :eek: :) :cool:

eddyg
On a PowerBook G4 I was applying the update - and it failed. It said that
it had moved the package to the trash and that I should rerun it.

I tried rerunning it - no good - nothing would start on the Mac.

I had a terminal open - CPU was at 100% - tried top, no commands
would work, some sort of exception in every case.

Had to reboot - nothing else I could do.. and has been stuck on the
spinning beachball for 10mins..

This does not sound good :(

Maybe I should have shut down my apps when running the installer - never bothered in the past, Apple has been real good about doing it for you if it needs to.

Cheers, Ed.

PCMacUser
Apr 3, 2006, 05:45 PM
So you missed the completely new interface in Mail? RSS built in to Safari? New Preferences? Finder Smart Folders? Burnable Folders? Fast updates in Finder if you update a file in a shell? Built in Slideshows? Migration Assistant? And those are just the obvious ones.

Here's the rest...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

Equating that with an XP service pack is wrong. Up until XP SP2, I don't think I ever came across a new feature being added in a Windows service pack and I've been using Windows 2.11. SP2 added features that should have been there from the start and still missed out features like burning DVDs.

We've had more features in a minor OSX release than some full Windows releases.
Well you kind of missed my point. I was talking about what I noticed. I don't use Mail. I don't use Safari. I use Entourage and Firefox. Migration doesn't help me. I have nothing to migrate from. The built in slide shows don't display pictures in order, so I use third party software for that. I hardly ever use the shell.

But I shall shut up now. It's like walking into a mosque and shouting 'Praise Jesus' in here sometimes hahah...

DPazdanISU
Apr 3, 2006, 05:47 PM
Some things to think about:

1) This update is huge for Mactels...(Preparing for Windows Virtualization...?)
2)It's a Monday, are they preparing for a new macbook tomorrow? (or other computer announcement?)
3)The computer boots twice, while that may mean nothing to some people, I think it has something to do with my first point (virtualization of windows apps on mac osx).
4)Apple can still come out with something and please the mac faithful on their 30th!:rolleyes: (come on MacTablet/iPhone)

weg
Apr 3, 2006, 05:50 PM

It has already arrived in Cambridge, don't know how long it'll take from here to Oxford ;-)

kasei
Apr 3, 2006, 05:52 PM
This update was a little scarry. It was good of Apple to warn us about the double boot,but the time it took to load everything was very unnerving.

lazyrighteye
Apr 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
Anyone know if iSync 2.2 will now sync w/ T650 sans Missing Sync?

Thanks,
lazyrighteye

eddyg
Apr 3, 2006, 05:56 PM
Well after 25mins I gave up and rebooted this time with verbose on.

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init
Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88
in6_ifattach_loopback: failed to configure the loopback address on lo0 (errno=55)

I think I can safely say that my OS is toast..

Maybe I should have shut down my apps when running the installer - never bothered in the past, Apple has been real good about doing it for you if it needs to.

Cheers, Ed.

thejadedmonkey
Apr 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
This can only mean one thing...

New Mac Book Tuesday!!!

(forgive me if it's already been said, I don't feel like reading 8 pages of how some OS that I don't own got updated...)

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Note added to news story:As Apple notes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411), PowerPC-based Macs will restart twice rather than once after the installation of Mac OS X 10.4.6. (Thanks to member WildCowboy for suggesting we mention this.)

dr_lha
Apr 3, 2006, 05:59 PM
The Safari crash detailed here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/03/29/new.flaw.crashes.safari/

still crashes Safari, and I assume the Finder as well. :(

ethernet76
Apr 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
Oh thank effing god.

People still use Quark?

Multimedia
Apr 3, 2006, 06:06 PM
Well after 25mins I gave up and rebooted this time with verbose on.

Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 88, trying /sbin/mach_init
Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88
in6_ifattach_loopback: failed to configure the loopback address on lo0 (errno=55)

I think I can safely say that my OS is toast..I feel so bad for you BUT you really didn't do it right. ALWAYS shut down all apps and repair permissions b4 running the COMBO updater - never the incremental. Leaving applications running and not repairing permissions before running only the Combo is just asking for trouble. Sorry Eddy. You really didn't follow protocol. :(

maduarte
Apr 3, 2006, 06:08 PM

This same thing is happening to me. How long does the first reboot take? Hopefully less than 10 minutes!

Stella: Let me know if you figure/have figured out how to fix this. Thanks!

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
This same thing is happening to me. How long does the first reboot take? Hopefully less than 10 minutes!

It was a painful 3+ minutes for me...if you have a slower computer, it will likely take a fair bit longer. I would really just give it some time. And don't watch it...a watched computer never boots.

DarkRail
Apr 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
Thank you, Apple! What a timely gift. Coincidentally, my 2-year-old phone died yesterday.

Apple lists all supported phones here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

...so I compared that with a cache of yesterday's version of that list to come up with a list of newly added phones. Here it is:

MOTOROLA
PEBL
RAZR v3i
RAZR v3c
L6
v188
v226
v276
v303
v360
v540
v557
e550

NOKIA
6230i
N70
N90

SONY ERICSSON
W550
W600
W900

aswitcher
Apr 3, 2006, 06:13 PM
Has anyone successfully update on a PowerBook G4 17"?

petej
Apr 3, 2006, 06:16 PM
17" 1.33 PB G4 updated and running fine
aswitcher:

nagromme
Apr 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
I feel so bad for you BUT you really didn't do it right. ALWAYS shut down all apps and repair permissions b4 running the COMBO updater - never the incremental. Leaving applications running and not repairing permissions before running only the Combo is just asking for trouble. Sorry Eddy. You really didn't follow protocol. :(
I don't think leaving apps running is a problem--if it was, Apple could simply quit all apps while updating. I regularly keep right on working while I do updates--including running several updaters at once (they automatically take turns appropriately).

Quitting all apps "just to be safe" isn't a bad practice, but in my experience it's not actually necessary.

Xero
Apr 3, 2006, 06:18 PM
...EDIT x2: New ss attached. Won't work!...
Well after 25mins I gave up and rebooted this time with verbose on ... I think I can safely say that my OS is toast..

Yep, 10.4.6 totally screwed my 1ghz Ti Powerbook. I tried to dl the update, first i got the install error saying it moved the update to the trash etc... Then i tried redownloading it, it gave me a different error (i believe the networking error). so i though whatever ill just reboot. but first i tried to run isync to backup my contacts and calanders to my phone. no go. isync would bounce once in the dock and then just stop/not open. did that every time i tried to run it. all while i was running all my ther apps fine. hrmmm... so i try to log out. it logs out and goes to the spinning spokes and just sits there for a good 3-5 minutes, wont go to the login screen. i reboot, and now it sits here at the apple logo and spinning "spokes". I guess i havent let it go for more than 10 minutes yet but this is pretty discouraging already... :(

MacRumoron
Apr 3, 2006, 06:24 PM
upgraded on iMac G5 and can no longer connect to the internet.. and don't know how to fix it..

my iMac isn't recognizing my USB network adapter
..i'll find a solution sooner or later :P

i also upgraded on my MBP with no problems

rog
Apr 3, 2006, 06:25 PM
Made no dif on my shuffle and iSync didn't make my Treo 600 run OSX like I expected. It still runs Palm OS 5.2. It definitely made my iPod video more snappy and classic runs Word 5.1 faster than OSX runs Word 2004, but that might not be new. Calculator now launches much faster, from 1 second to probably .85 seconds. VPC win XP is still slow, but usable on my ibook 366 Mhz special edition. The fan problem I wasn't having on my DP G5 still isn't there. And random crashes--gone, just like they were in 10.4-10.4.5. This is the best update ever!

eleventeenPR
Apr 3, 2006, 06:25 PM
Running like a dream on my 15" 1,5 Ghz.

BUT, my changes to /private/etc/rc to allow my swap files to exist on a seperate partition have been trashed. Just a heads up!

Good luck to those of you with issues!

QCassidy352
Apr 3, 2006, 06:27 PM
Have you tried this solution (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.system/browse_thread/thread/bb7c4db2ad5a10ea/cb9b712d8d3faff5?lnk=st&q=spotlight+word&rnum=5#cb9b712d8d3faff5)? Worked for me.

No, I haven't seen that. Thanks for the link; I'll give it a shot. (a simple reindex did nothing)

Morky
Apr 3, 2006, 06:29 PM
Oh thank effing god.

Or Apple got tired of waiting for Quark to fix their code and hacked up a workaround. I don't know of any other apps that have this problem.

Electro Funk
Apr 3, 2006, 06:29 PM

Any suggestions?

Chris.

Hmmmm... update killed mail for me as well... no emails in in box and says im over quota.... (i know im not)

MacTruck
Apr 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
hmmm something feels....you could say, "snappier" :p

These jokes about it being "snappier" are just as bad as people posting they actually think its snappier. :mad:

kinless
Apr 3, 2006, 06:33 PM
Running 10.4.6 OK on the 12" AlBook 1.33

I didn't read the part about the 2x startup before I started installing, but then again I wasn't really watching it. I just happened to hear the chime twice and I was like WTF? But it seems like it's going OK now.

Wager 10.4.7 or 10.5 next?

primalman
Apr 3, 2006, 06:33 PM

Yes

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 06:34 PM
Wager 10.4.7 or 10.5 next?

10.4.7...guaranteed.

drewyboy
Apr 3, 2006, 06:36 PM
Wow, this really screwed up my Microsoft Word. I can't save any files cuz the beachball keeps running. Apple has seemed to really drop the ball on this one.

jonharris200
Apr 3, 2006, 06:37 PM
Yes. 1 GHz PowerPC G4. No probs.

eddyg
Apr 3, 2006, 06:38 PM
Yep, 10.4.6 totally screwed my 1ghz Ti Powerbook. I tried to dl the update, first i got the install error saying it moved the update to the trash etc... Then i tried redownloading it, it gave me a different error (i believe the networking error). so i though whatever ill just reboot. but first i tried to run isync to backup my contacts and calanders to my phone. no go. isync would bounce once in the dock and then just stop/not open. did that every time i tried to run it. all while i was running all my ther apps fine. hrmmm... so i try to log out. it logs out and goes to the spinning spokes and just sits there for a good 3-5 minutes, wont go to the login screen. i reboot, and now it sits here at the apple logo and spinning "spokes". I guess i havent let it go for more than 10 minutes yet but this is pretty discouraging already... :(

This is exactly what happened to me. Also on a 1Ghz Ti Powerbook. I've resorted to booting from the Tiger install DVD, it won't repair it. Says I need to do a fresh install. So I'm currently copying my home dir off to an external drive. Pain that "tar" won't do it when running from a DVD. It needs more tmp space.

Now I get to find out how good my backups were :) Not sure where my Retrospect CD is though..

Good luck to everyone else having this issue - I'm glad that I have my 12" Albook handy to lookup tips etc.

Cheers, Ed.

technicolor
Apr 3, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes. 1 GHz PowerPC G4. No probs.
That thread in your sig is hilarious. Are all those haters eating crow now?

Harbinger
Apr 3, 2006, 06:43 PM
Anyone here brave enough to run the server update yet?

*shudder* I remember being on the phone with Apple support with the 10.4.3 update after it hosed our Open Directory! It took us a loooong time to clean up after that one :( of course no, there were no known issues with Kerberos and Open Directory replication according to Apple. Strange that 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 both list fixes for this :rolleyes:

108 10.4.6 MB update went smoothly on my MacBook Pro and so far so good. Now if they could just get ARD Admin to work on a macintel!

FoxyKaye
Big update for a big day! I'll bet anything something that gets released tomorrow will require 10.4.6.

jonharris200
That thread in your sig is hilarious. Are all those haters eating crow now?
It was a tip-off from someone else on another thread a few days back. Seems to be famous in these parts. I thought it said quite a lot about how we all respond to innovation! :rolleyes:

amanset
Apr 3, 2006, 06:52 PM
Wow, this really screwed up my Microsoft Word. I can't save any files cuz the beachball keeps running. Apple has seemed to really drop the ball on this one.

"This one"? I'm still running 10.4.3 due to the Firewire issues(*) that Apple don't seem to even acknowledge exists despite it being all over their own forums.

(*) My OS is on an external firewire drive. Running any update more recent than 10.4.3 gives me a kernel panic on reboot.

iCraig
Apr 3, 2006, 06:52 PM
My eMac crapped out with the same problem Mike(random numbers) got earlier.

However, all my apps stopped working and the update wouldn't redownload.

So I had to archive install and I have finally updated to 10.4.6 by the standalone updater.

No Problems this time, although everything seems to be as it was in 10.4.5.

And thank god for Archive installs!

_bnkr612
Apr 3, 2006, 06:53 PM
Big update for a big day! I'll bet anything something that gets released tomorrow will require 10.4.6.

Yea, an Apple version of MS' Excel. We'll call it "Tables" or "Grid".

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 06:53 PM
More or less.

10.3.0: October 24, 2003Based on those dates (I didn't check your facts), I plotted the days from release to each update. Tiger updates took longer to appear (that's either good or bad, depending on your point of view), but then Tiger started getting them more frequently. By update #5, the number of days since Tiger's release was only one day off from the time between Panther's release and it's 5th update! And Tiger was ahead for update #6.

If somebody wants to look up the dates for the previous Mac OS X versions, I'll add those to the chart tomorrow.

bousozoku
Apr 3, 2006, 06:54 PM
I don't think leaving apps running is a problem--if it was, Apple could simply quit all apps while updating. I regularly keep right on working while I do updates--including running several updaters at once (they automatically take turns appropriately).

Quitting all apps "just to be safe" isn't a bad practice, but in my experience it's not actually necessary.

My experience with the Mac OS X updates and Java updates was to quit everything when it's ready to install things. I leave things going during the download, though, to keep downtime shorter.

Hopefully, this is another good update. I have resisted a quick update--especially since the server seems to be preventing a quick update.

"This one"? I'm still running 10.4.3 due to the Firewire issues(*) that Apple don't seem to even acknowledge exists despite it being all over their own forums.

(*) My OS is on an external firewire drive. Running any update more recent than 10.4.3 gives me a kernel panic on reboot.

Why isn't your operating system located on the internal drive? Keeping data on an external drive makes a lot more sense than putting the operating system there.

Stella
Apr 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

I waited 30 minutes... nothing.

I'm reinstalling from a weekly backup.

balamw
Apr 3, 2006, 07:06 PM
I thought it said quite a lot about how we all respond to innovation! :rolleyes:
The equivalent to thread500 on slashdot is http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/23/1816257&tid=107.
No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

I hope 10.4.6 fixes some of the (very minor) sleep issues I've had with my 17" iMac Core Duo, as in something's keeps it awake about 50% of the time even when nothing is actively running...

B

MattG
Apr 3, 2006, 07:07 PM
Jeebus...163MB for the update on my iMac DuoCore! This thing better be able to launch the freakin space shuttle after an update like this :eek: :D

masterapple04
Apr 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
Grrrrrrr, just updated, and now all my menu bar items refuse to be where they are supposed to be. Now i have no clock, Airport Status, Bluetoth Status, Fast User Switching, nothing!

PPC Mac mini, 10.4.5 -> 10.4.6, 1GB RAM, 1.42 GHz

I'll try running the combo update. Here's to hoping...

mrichmon
Apr 3, 2006, 07:11 PM
If somebody wants to look up the dates for the previous Mac OS X versions, I'll add those to the chart tomorrow.

All hail the mighty Google... :)

OS X Release Dates (http://www.robservatory.com/archives/2005/11/14/a-useless-analysis-of-os-x-release-dates/)

plinden
Apr 3, 2006, 07:12 PM
Grrrrrrr, just updated, and now all my menu bar items refuse to be where they are supposed to be. Now i have no clock, Airport Status, Bluetoth Status, Fast User Switching, nothing!

PPC Mac mini, 10.4.5 -> 10.4.6, 1GB RAM, 1.42 GHz

I'll try running the combo update. Here's to hoping...
Are you running the frontrow hack?

Stridder44
Apr 3, 2006, 07:12 PM
Wow hey look, updated and no problems, as always. Been that way since 10.2.x for me...

...honestly, for those of you who get "errors" and all this junk about your Mac not starting up etc., what the heck do you run!? Leave the UI modifiers for the trash...

WildCowboy
Apr 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
Based on those dates (I didn't check your facts), I plotted the days from release to each update. Tiger updates took longer to appear (that's either good or bad, depending on your point of view), but then Tiger started getting them more frequently. By update #5, the number of days since Tiger's release was only one day off from the time between Panther's release and it's 5th update! And Tiger was ahead for update #6.

Here you go...

10.2.8: Originally released September 22, 2003 but pulled. Re-released October 3, 2003
10.2.7: Released only on new PowerMac G5s (I think)...everybody else skipped straight to 10.2.8.
10.2.6: May 6, 2003
10.2.5: April 10, 2003
10.2.4: February 13, 2003
10.2.3: December 19, 2002
10.2.2: November 11, 2002
10.2.1: September 18, 2002
10.2.0: August 23, 2002

10.1.5: June 5, 2002
10.1.4: April 17, 2002
10.1.3: February 19, 2002
10.1.2: December 21, 2001
10.1.1: November 13, 2001
10.1.0: September 29, 2001

Whew.

Edit: Just saw mrichmon's post (#240)...arggh. I got most of my info from the MacRumors news articles.

Stridder44
Apr 3, 2006, 07:15 PM
Yea, an Apple version of MS' Excel. We'll call it "Tables" or "Grid".

You get a scooby snack

masterapple04
Apr 3, 2006, 07:17 PM
Are you running the frontrow hack?

Guilty as charged. What's the solution, prey tell? Thanks!

cazlar
Apr 3, 2006, 07:21 PM

Cheers, Ed.

I had exactly the same thing on my revB 12"PB. After the error message nothing would launch, and no external volumes would mount (I was desperately trying to dump a last backup just in case). Sat on spinning apple logo for ever seemingly, so gave up and did an archive install. Now up and running, all seems fine (but likely to be lots of niggles in coming days), and getting the combo updater as we speak to bring me back up from 10.4.0

MattQiu
Apr 3, 2006, 07:26 PM
the update broken MS Office 2004 on my PowerBook. I tried restart once, and then installed update 11.2.3 for Office. It back to normal now:)

quigleybc
Apr 3, 2006, 07:29 PM
"Addresses USB audio issues for PowerPC Macs; for example, latency is improved."

Nice, not that I experience any latency as it is, but now it should be super fast.

W00t.

:)

Laser47
Apr 3, 2006, 07:29 PM
Updated and everything works fine now.
I cant wait to see whats instore for tomorrow, too bad it does not fix the problem with safari and websites like Newegg.

aswitcher
Apr 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
I had exactly the same thing on my revB 12"PB. After the error message nothing would launch, and no external volumes would mount (I was desperately trying to dump a last backup just in case). Sat on spinning apple logo for ever seemingly, so gave up and did an archive install. Now up and running, all seems fine (but likely to be lots of niggles in coming days), and getting the combo updater as we speak to bring me back up from 10.4.0

Ouch.

Mmm. Thanks for those who said it went well but after a few of these I wonder if I should wait.

Westside guy
Apr 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
...honestly, for those of you who get "errors" and all this junk about your Mac not starting up etc., what the heck do you run!? Leave the UI modifiers for the trash...

I used to think that way... but then one of the 10.3.x updaters (I believe it was the first time they used the delta updater) hosed some files on my daughter's iBook - and I knew she wasn't running any haxies or other odd stuff. The updater didn't cause problems on my Powerbook though; just the iBook. After poking around, I found the updater had overwritten a few necessary files with zero-length newer versions. :p I copied the ones that had been correctly updated on my Powerbook over to her iBook, and all was well - but most people wouldn't want to try that sort of thing.

So feel free to blame the user whenever someone reports a problem; but there are times when you'll be wrong.