PDA

View Full Version : Consumers don't know iPods are from Apple?

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 04:20 PM
I noticed this in a MacNN article (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/03/apple.bucks.trust.erosion/):Forrester [Research, Inc.] also found that the results showed a disconnect between the "Apple Computer" brand and the company's popular iPod. Forrester found that iPod owners did not appear to identify with the "Apple Computer" brand, which it said could mitigate the so-called "halo effect", which has been cited to help drive Mac sales.I know people who have heard lots about iPods and don't know how they are related to Macintosh computers, but are there really a lot of people who don't know that iPods are from Apple?

When you see the word "iPod" in newspapers and magazines and formal news sites, the word "Apple" is always in the same sentence. iPod ads don't make much mention of Macintoshes (except to sometimes say "PC or Mac"), but they always mention Apple. Is it really true that so many consumers don't know who makes iPods, despite Apple's widespread name recognition?

Or do people know the company name is Apple but don't realize it is Apple Computer?

Applespider
Apr 3, 2006, 04:24 PM
I can believe it. I had a conversation with someone last week who said that they couldn't switch to a Mac because their iTunes and iPod wouldn't work :confused:

Now what's the bets that Apple have rushed these results to the High Court to show Apple Corps that using the Apple Computer logo isn't really an issue?

Peyton
Apr 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
Strange, some people didn't believe me when I started this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=186089)

I started it for the same exact reasons. Don't know how you could just not know that, but then again some people don't believe me here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=190794) either...:rolleyes:

SC68Cal
Apr 3, 2006, 04:29 PM
I don't understand how this could be possible in my area, since we have a very big Apple Store in our mall.

Jaffa Cake
Apr 3, 2006, 04:33 PM
I seem to remember some famous musician type (Bruce Springsteen maybe?) commenting on the U2 iPod a while ago, and saying he needed to speak to Bill Gates and Microsfot about producing a special edition iPod of his own. So no, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are people who don't know Apple are behind the iPod.

Anyway... isn't MAC the company that makes the computers? ;)

thedude110
Apr 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
But don't people like, see the Apple logo when they turn their 'pods on? I mean, if there's one thing we're good at these days, it's identifying our corporate logos.

emw
Apr 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think that iPods are essentially the Kleenex and Rollerblade of MP3 players.

That is, how many people ask for a "facial tissue" as opposed to a "kleenex"? Or ask for a pair of "inline roller skates" as opposed to "rollerblades"? (Perhaps these are US-only references, but I'm sure other countries have similar ones)

People say "iPod" to mean digital music player.

Now, as to how this impacts the recognized connection between Apple Computer, Inc. and iPod, I'm not sure. Other than I have no idea who makes Kleenex.

Perhaps it doesn't matter. I'd be curious as to how many of the 4700 consumers interviewed actually owned an iPod. I'd think that owners of the iPod would be more likely (not completely) to know it was made by Apple Computer, even if those that just know of "iPods" may not make the connection.

joepunk
Apr 3, 2006, 05:10 PM
But don't people like, see the Apple logo when they turn their 'pods on? I mean, if there's one thing we're good at these days, it's identifying our corporate logos.
I would think so but some don't apparently.

Example. I have seen flyers and other material all talking about the DDR club on campus. My first reaction was "DDR? As in East Germany? What?" Took me months to find out the meaning of Dance Dance Revolution.

Other than I have no idea who makes Kleenex.I think it is still Kleenex Corporation. A band in the early 80's called themselves Kleenex for a while but the actual Kleenex Corps. (?) got them to change their band name to Liliput.

Chaszmyr
Apr 3, 2006, 05:16 PM
I've talked to a few people who own iPods and didn't have any idea they are made by Apple. I wonder why they thought that Apple logo is engraved on the back...

Some people seem to think that "Mac" is a company, "iPod" is a company, and "Apple" was a company.

Applespider
Apr 3, 2006, 05:19 PM

Depends if they listen to it every day? Listen often enough and you'll rarely see the iPod boot logo.

Then again, I wonder how many associate the Xbox with Windows?

Peyton
Apr 3, 2006, 05:29 PM
Depends if they listen to it every day? Listen often enough and you'll rarely see the iPod boot logo.

Then again, I wonder how many associate the Xbox with Windows?

Um, I see your point, but Xboxes don't come with a PC connection cord, or software to load your comp full of music. So slightly different.

So since this is happening do you think Apple should make all this more clear? Different commercials? Or do you think they've done just as well as if everyone knew apple is ipod is mac?

Doctor Q
Apr 3, 2006, 06:11 PM
I think that iPods are essentially the Kleenex and Rollerblade of MP3 players. ... People say "iPod" to mean digital music player.Which is a danger to Apple, because people will hear somebody say "This stupid Sandisk iPod I bought at the flea market doesn't work!" and blame the real product.

hulugu
Apr 3, 2006, 06:50 PM
Consumer just don't pay much attention to anything. A friend of mine bought a Mazda Tribute and several days later complained about how horrible Ford was, when I pointed out that the Tribute was actually a rebranded Ford Escape he got really upset and argued with me for an hour about it.

So, I'm not all that surprised that some people don't make the connection between Apple and the iPod, although those who do this while in an Apple Store are a little sad.

Which is a danger to Apple, because people will hear somebody say "This stupid Sandisk iPod I bought at the flea market doesn't work!" and blame the real product.

Who cares? Someone who's buying an iPod at a flea market isn't exactly the target customer and moreso, people do generally begin to understand the difference between generic and brand-name products, oddly enough. Some people are hopelessly confused no matter how much information is out there.

applebum
Apr 4, 2006, 01:16 AM
Who cares? Someone who's buying an iPod at a flea market isn't exactly the target customer and moreso, people do generally begin to understand the difference between generic and brand-name products, oddly enough. Some people are hopelessly confused no matter how much information is out there.

The companies that own the name care for this very reason (from a post above):

I think it is still Kleenex Corporation. A band in the early 80's called themselves Kleenex for a while but the actual Kleenex Corps. (?) got them to change their band name to Liliput.

Ummm Kimberly Clark makes Kleenex (see here) (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/ourbrands/consumer.asp). If companies don't protect these names, they become generic. It is my understanding that is what happened with both aspirin and escelators - they were at one time brand names (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Pistol Pete
Apr 4, 2006, 02:51 AM
I have customers all the time who say lets "go to the ipod store" I want to punch them and tell them its the apple store...

they also say:

"does ipod make this?"

"why doesnt ipod" this and that

WOW this ticks me off....and not to stereotype. they are always women who know nothing.

Pistol Pete
Apr 4, 2006, 02:52 AM
Which is a danger to Apple, because people will hear somebody say "This stupid Sandisk iPod I bought at the flea market doesn't work!" and blame the real product.

i hate ignorant people.

dornoforpyros
Apr 4, 2006, 03:04 AM
who cares? Costumers are in general pretty stupid. It's really not hurting anything that they don't know apple also makes great computers. Not everyone is as obsessed with computers as we are.
I'm sure there are some people out there that are disgusted that people refer to all cola as coke.

iMeowbot
Apr 4, 2006, 03:14 AM
Or do people know the company name is Apple but don't realize it is Apple Computer?
That one. It's often more like "Apple still makes computers? Wow, I remember those!"

iMeowbot
Apr 4, 2006, 03:21 AM
It is my understanding that is what happened with both aspirin and escelators - they were at one time brand names (someone correct me if I am wrong)
Trademarks can fall into generic use, but those two aren't the examples you want :)

The Aspirin trademark (and lots and lots of other German IP) was taken away by the Versailles treaty at the end of World War I.

Otis lost the Escalator trademark on a technicality (they used "escalator" as a noun instead of an adjective in the wrong contexts in their product literature).

Savage Henry
Apr 4, 2006, 03:23 AM
So much for the Halo Effect™ ;)

maxterpiece
Apr 4, 2006, 03:25 AM
apple computers are irrelevant to most people's lives. The thought of not using windows has never crossed their minds. It is the only computer you could reasonably consider getting. iPods, however, are not. I think if Apple had pushed the iPod, Apple connection, IE saying "made by apple computer" somewhere in their ads, or advertising iPods with Macs, the mac's stigma would have dragged it down. It took apple a while just to get PC users to understand that the iPod would work with thier computer, so I think that's kind of why apple has dissassociated it's computers from the iPod a bit.

student_trap
Apr 4, 2006, 05:29 AM
apple computers are irrelevant to most people's lives

I agree with you here.

I think that it is important that we make a distinction between “apple” and “iPod” when considering the average consumer. I am sure that as the current youth who have grown up with technology come of age, this will become increasingly unimportant, as brand recognition (especially within the technological field) increases. However for the moment, I am still told by people that they have bought an iPod, only to see that they actually bought a Zen, or something similar. I also know people who have in the past failed to realise that you need a computer to use an iPod. Suffice to say, it would be foolish to cast the general public with the same brush used with the likes of us on this forum.

It is not a good thing for apple if the iPod brand name becomes synonymous with all mp3 players. If this were to happen (indeed the wheels are already in motion), apple would find a drop in their market share as the public buy products by other companies. The iPod name, which at the moment brings word such as “style”, “fashion”, “quality” into the consumers mind, would turn into a generic term for “mp3 player”, therefore ruining all the good marketing apple has been doing. A similar thing can be said with the “Walkman” brand, another victim of its own success.

For the success of the iPod to continue, apple need to work on preventing their product’s name from becoming generic. Especially as rival companies begin to firstly realise that it is design, not features, that the everyday consumer wants, (as some companies are already beginning to do, see links below), and secondly, how to capitalise on the name “iPod”, rather than fight it.

Maybe then they will stop marketing their products as “iPod killers”.

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2006, 11:22 AM
It is not a good thing for apple if the iPod brand name becomes synonymous with all mp3 players. If this were to happen (indeed the wheels are already in motion), apple would find a drop in their market share as the public buy products by other companies. The iPod name, which at the moment brings word such as “style”, “fashion”, “quality” into the consumers mind, would turn into a generic term for “mp3 player”, therefore ruining all the good marketing apple has been doing.Apple would then have to work on distinguishing "their" iPods from other "brands of iPods", which might be a tough uphill battle with consumers who can't retain much information.

jhu
Apr 4, 2006, 11:33 AM
it's similar to how when the miata first came out, many people didn't know it was a mazda.

notjustjay
Apr 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm sure there are some people out there that are disgusted that people refer to all cola as coke.

I'll have a Sprite coke, please. With fries.

supremedesigner
Apr 4, 2006, 12:05 PM

and don't forget chicken McNugget from Wendy's, please? :rolleyes:

emw
Apr 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
Apple would then have to work on distinguishing "their" iPods from other "brands of iPods", which might be a tough uphill battle with consumers who can't retain much information.Perhaps, but doesn't it also mean that other companies have to shed the image that their product are also "iPods"?

In the end, I think you still have three groups of consumers:

1. Those that know what they're buying, why they're buying it, and who makes it.

These consumers will buy Apple iPods if they feel it's the best product, and will buy Creative's offering if they feel it's the best. They won't be swayed by the generic "iPod" talk and will likely scoff at it. They will also likely evangelize the company, the product, or both.

2. Those that know what they're buying, but don't really know much about all the products or who makes them.

These are people that have heard of the Apple iPod, although probably don't know the Apple also makes computers, or that iPod isn't the company, but know that the iPod is different that the Zen or whatever. They won't evangelize the company or product.

3. Those who don't really know what they're buying and will make purchase decisions solely on looks and price.

These are my parents. "i-What? Does it play music? Can I listen to it while walking? Okay." They don't know who makes them, what kinds there are, etc., and will probably just buy the cheapest one that they can. These are the consumers that think iPod is just a generic term.

(L)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
I can believe it. I had a conversation with someone last week who said that they couldn't switch to a Mac because their iTunes and iPod wouldn't work :confused:

Lol. Wow. That's just great. I have heard of people not knowing that they're really designed for Macs, and people are usually surprised to consider that their favorite things (iTunes and iPod) would work even better on a Mac. Still, not making the connection at all...that's dangerous.:eek:

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
Perhaps, but doesn't it also mean that other companies have to shed the image that their product are also "iPods"?No. They don't want to, because they get a free ride on Apple's reputation (as long as it lasts).

1. Those that know what they're buying, why they're buying it, and who makes it.

2. Those that know what they're buying, but don't really know much about all the products or who makes them.

3. Those who don't really know what they're buying and will make purchase decisions solely on looks and price.It's those #2s who are the problem. They hear "iPod" on the news; their kids beg for an "iPod". So they head out to buy something named "iPod", whether they know much about it or not. But if the term becomes too loosely defined, Apple loses that sale.

(L)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:16 PM
Perhaps, but doesn't it also mean that other companies have to shed the image that their product are also "iPods"?

These consumers will buy Apple iPods if they feel it's the best product, and will buy Creative's offering if they feel it's the best. They won't be swayed by the generic "iPod" talk and will likely scoff at it. They will also likely evangelize the company, the product, or both.

These are people that have heard of the Apple iPod, although probably don't know the Apple also makes computers, or that iPod isn't the company, but know that the iPod is different that the Zen or whatever. They won't evangelize the company or product.

3. Those who don't really know what they're buying and will make purchase decisions solely on looks and price.

These are my parents. "i-What? Does it play music? Can I listen to it while walking? Okay." They don't know who makes them, what kinds there are, etc., and will probably just buy the cheapest one that they can. These are the consumers that think iPod is just a generic term.

Pretty much, yup. But it's a great thing to be a household name, like Kleenex or Q-Tips. And Jell-O. Let's not forget our wobbly delights.

(L)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:17 PM
No. They don't want to, because they get a free ride on Apple's reputation (as long as it lasts).

It's those #2s who are the problem. They hear "iPod" on the news; their kids beg for an "iPod". So they head out to buy something named "iPod", whether they know much about it or not. But if the term becomes too loosely defined, Apple loses that sale.

Mommy, I want an Apple and a Mouse!

Son, Mice eat Cheeze.

Little Endian
Apr 4, 2006, 12:18 PM
Sounds believable most consumers are not technically inclined, especially the majority of consumers who are fueling the Digital Portable music players' market growth.

The level of ignorance displayed by consumers can be disturbing. I have worked in computer retail before and can attest that brand name recognition is very poor among consumers shopping for technology. Oh lord do I have stories but I don't feel like going into them right now because it gives me nightmares.

Actually I think this extends beyond Computers as just the other day I was in a Burger King and was next to a woman who was in line wanting to order a Big Mac, now that's very disturbing. I also worked at a Papa John's Pizza as one of my first Jobs after High School and remember having a lot of requests for crap like Stuffed Crust Pizza which is a Pizza Hut thing. People would also occasionally confuse Papa John's with Papa Murphy's and ask if the Pizza was cooked or not. Now if Americans can't even get their Fast Food down right is it that surprising that they have poor brand name recognition with technology?

(L)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:26 PM
I have customers all the time who say lets "go to the ipod store" I want to punch them and tell them its the apple store...

they also say:

"does ipod make this?"

"why doesnt ipod" this and that

WOW this ticks me off....and not to stereotype. they are always women who know nothing.

That's not really stereotyping. It's basically anyone who is more likely to repeat the hot word iPod then to look into the ideas, such as it being a product and not a company. TV commercials feature the Apple logo, but not the words Apple Computer. That, perhaps, is a flaw. Anyway, of those that are yakking off about what they didn't bother to look up but only heard from friends are likely to be talkative people with a knack for not grasping the ideas...like children and not-so-calm women that are just repeating what they heard from friends, and, in their defense, could care less if it was iPod or iPoodle.

GFLPraxis
Apr 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
I had a teacher comment once, "Macintosh? They still make those?"

dejo
Apr 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
I think this further substantiates one of the two DEJO axioms:

The average consumer is an idiot.

portent
Apr 4, 2006, 01:09 PM
I'd wager about a quarter of the US population doesn't even know what brand of car they drive.

"My car? Yeah, it's a blue one."

adk
Apr 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
This is a huge problem for apple's marketing department. They need to do a better job of distinguishing their ipods from other players. They also need to get people to realize they make computers too. Perhaps they should put some kind of cross promotion in with the ipods, something like a coupon for 10% off imac or mac mini or ibook. They maybe also need to expand their commercials, because I know a lot of people who think that the only music you can put on your ipod is what you buy on the ITMS.

Laser47
Apr 4, 2006, 01:48 PM
I would say 90% of the people in my school dont know who actually makes the ipod, and personally I think its a shame.
Ive herd people say the ipod is made by Mac, iPod, Sony and HP.
I makes me want to say "Hey what is that logo on the back?", I would say most of the problem is ignorance especially people who say they know everything about iPods. And some could be apples fault for not putting the word "Apple" on the back, because some people are too lazy to associate a picture with a word. And now its getting even worse where people just call them "Shuffles", "Nanos" and "Videos"

The word iPod is a cliche now I hear it about 20 times a day from the little freshman at my school, very annoying.

iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod, iPod,
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2nyRiggz
Apr 4, 2006, 03:21 PM
I believe it...one of my friends was shocked it came from apple. Turn the ipod over and theres a big apple logo right there kiddies.

Bless

student_trap
Apr 5, 2006, 10:59 AM
The level of ignorance displayed by consumers can be disturbing. I have worked in computer retail before and can attest that brand name recognition is very poor among consumers shopping for technology...

...just the other day I was in a Burger King and was next to a woman who was in line wanting to order a Big Mac, now that's very disturbing.

I'm slightly concerned at the ease at which this term "ignorance" is used. Is it really ignorant not to be a slave to advertising? Surely not, and if so I am extremely concerned about what the world will turn into over the next 10-30 years if this trend continues.

As for finding a woman asking for a Big Mac in Burger King "disturbing", I just hope you never step outside the restaurant, because compared to that, the real world is something else.

(sorry to be so blunt, but I just find the ease at which some words are thrown around hard to swallow)

Little Endian
Apr 5, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'm slightly concerned at the ease at which this term "ignorance" is used. Is it really ignorant not to be a slave to advertising? Surely not, and if so I am extremely concerned about what the world will turn into over the next 10-30 years if this trend continues.

As for finding a woman asking for a Big Mac in Burger King "disturbing", I just hope you never step outside the restaurant, because compared to that, the real world is something else.

(sorry to be so blunt, but I just find the ease at which some words are thrown around hard to swallow)

I think you have it backwards. Referring everything as "Big Mac" "ipod" "Coke" etc. would be more an example of being a slave to advertising sense you are referring products regardless of what they are by just one trademark name.

Now if someone generally referred to things as a Burger, MP3 player, Cola then that would be fine. I would much rather have people call general products by generic name rather than using trademarked names with disregard only because it's been brainwashed into their head by advertising and that is what I found so disturbing about the "Woman in Burger King"

Sure brand names, trademark names etc. it's a trivial matter in the grand scheme of things. I think you take the word ignorant too harshly in this context. Consumers are often ignorant to what options are available to them as opposed to an educated consumer who is aware of all options. If anything using the word ignorant in regards to the consumer is probably some of the few places where it can be safely applied.

hulugu
Apr 6, 2006, 01:00 AM
apple computers are irrelevant to most people's lives. The thought of not using windows has never crossed their minds. It is the only computer you could reasonably consider getting. iPods, however, are not. I think if Apple had pushed the iPod, Apple connection, IE saying "made by apple computer" somewhere in their ads, or advertising iPods with Macs, the mac's stigma would have dragged it down. It took apple a while just to get PC users to understand that the iPod would work with thier computer, so I think that's kind of why apple has dissassociated it's computers from the iPod a bit.

I don't think Apple has 'dissassociated' the iPod and the Mac, originally the iPod only worked with Macs, then Macs only had iTunes while PC-users were stuck with MusicMatch, then iTunes for Windows was made and the iTMS worked with both. In all of these instances, Apple's logo is on the back of the iPod and appears when it boots, the packaging shows Apple Computer, and the ads only stopped connecting iTMS to Apple because of Apple records. The iPod wasn't sold as an 'accessory' to Macs, but a separate product, however the connection to Apple has never been dissavowed.
Most things are irrevalent to people's lives, we are always in our own little world often completely ignorant of the layers of complexity that exist all around us. Think of the jargon inherent in every profession, the complexity of being a chef or engineer. I've got a contractor working on my house and there are terms for things I've never heard of before.
What actually suprises me is people who don't know what kind of car they drive or who built their Mp3 player which they use almost every day. Some people seem to live with interesting blinders.

portent
Apr 6, 2006, 02:16 AM

control-command-D says: ignorance - noun - lack of knowledge or information

I think anyone who spends money should know where it's going. And I do think anyone who buys something without knowing who made it is ignorant.

Electro Funk
Apr 6, 2006, 09:35 AM

When i lived in Atlanta, GA if you ordered a "soda" at any restauraunt you automatically got a coke.

esaleris
Apr 6, 2006, 11:08 AM
That's why they make the new iPods so easy to scratch! So you HAVE to go to the Apple Store and get exposed to other Apple products!

/sarcasm

Marlon_JBT
Apr 6, 2006, 11:33 AM
Of course they don't know. This is nothing new.

Kinda sorta like how some consumers call their SUVs Jeeps... it becomes a "universal term"... dunno why or how.

Oh, and from what I've always understood... The Ford Escape is built on the older Mazda 626 platform... so yeah... :)

notjustjay
Apr 6, 2006, 03:06 PM
When i lived in Atlanta, GA if you ordered a "soda" at any restauraunt you automatically got a coke.

Well, that doesn't surprise me, given that Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola :)

I did a Google search and apparently in Texas they do use "coke" as a generic term, Sprite coke, Root Beer coke, etc.

Me, I prefer Pepsi. :rolleyes:

danakm
Apr 10, 2006, 02:03 AM
That one. It's often more like "Apple still makes computers? Wow, I remember those!"

They talk like they don't exist anymore and I'd like to know how they can be so blind when almost every computer that appears on tv shows is a Mac.

Examples:
- Carrie's in Sex and the City
- Chloe's in Smallville
- Scully's in X-Files
- Veronica's in Veronica Mars
- Summer's in The O.C.
- Ephram's in Everwood

And that's just to name a few... :confused:

danakm
Apr 10, 2006, 02:10 AM
I'm slightly concerned at the ease at which this term "ignorance" is used. Is it really ignorant not to be a slave to advertising?

Nope. But it IS not knowing where your money is going.

daneoni
Apr 10, 2006, 07:54 AM
I was having a convo with a friend and she was trying to describe the closest restaurant which was close to the local apple store and she said, "you know where the ipod store is right?....."

Another scenario was a guy was buying an ipod and he asked "will it be compatible with my computer" and the sales rep goes "iPods are Mac and PC compatible" to which the guy responds whats a "mac" and the rep had to explain that apple also make computers

Its very possible only few pple i think know apple even exists just as some think microsoft make all the PC's

dbhays
Apr 10, 2006, 08:05 AM
I am a sixth grade teacher. One day after school, I am helping this student with his math. He places his ipod on his desk. We continue with the math lesson, when he gets stuck on graphing a problem. I get up, walk over to my desk, pick up my ibook, and return to his desk. His first response at seeing my ibook: "Apple's SUCK! No one uses their crappy stuff!"

Instead of pointing out that his ipod was made by Apple, I tear into him for his rude and disrespectful behavior. Missed opportunities....

I should have confiscated his ipod the minute I saw it. They are not allowed at school. But I was sorta proud that he had one, so I let it slide.

Aperture
Jun 13, 2006, 02:01 PM
90% Of the people at my school think every mp3 player is called an iPod. They think Macs are cheap, and have never heard of Apple. They also think that Windows is the only OS out there. I also hate the kids that think they know everything about iPods when they think the company is called iPod.

Kevin

PS: When someone looks at a 5th gen. iPod and refers to it as an iPod Video, I want to tell them that it is an iPod 5th generation, not an iPod Video.:)

zap2
Jun 13, 2006, 02:11 PM
I hear people saying "lets go to the iPod store" all the time(when really most of the store is based around Macs)

dextertangocci
Jun 13, 2006, 02:41 PM
Where I live, everyone thinks that the iPod is made by the company called "iPod".:rolleyes: Idiots:D

idkfa
Jun 13, 2006, 08:53 PM
Example. I have seen flyers and other material all talking about the DDR club on campus. My first reaction was "DDR? As in East Germany? What?" Took me months to find out the meaning of Dance Dance Revolution.

I thought the same thing when my girlfriend went out and bought the XBOX version. I just sort of stared at her for awhile, half expecting the Stasi to burst into the room... :p

danired18
Jun 14, 2006, 08:02 AM
yes..every one says that amacs are cheap and lame..and most have never heard of them...why dont people like them...they are 10x..better than windows..and i dont see how people live with XP..it just stinks..

crees!
Jun 14, 2006, 10:36 AM
Anyway... isn't MAC the company that makes the computers? ;)

Actually MAC is a magazine :)

I just wonder if you told "Windows" consumers who were all about getting an iPod (not knowing it's made by Apple) that it was made by Apple if they would still purchase after learning this?

Now that would be interesting.

Gasu E.
Jun 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
Other than I have no idea who makes Kleenex.

I think it is still Kleenex Corporation.

Right, my iPod is made by iPodCo.

crees!
Jun 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
Right, my iPod is made by iPodCo.
Dude, mine too! How funny is that?!

jaxstate
Jun 14, 2006, 12:43 PM
The average Joe don't give a hoot about who makes the iPod. MY gf for example, syncs her mini up to my Mac once a month. She had no clue that the same company that made my computer made the iPod. I asked her how could she not know that her reponse..."I really dont give a damn who makes it, as long as it works.":rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever
Jul 11, 2006, 08:10 AM
the parents of a mate of mine were looking to buy a new computer. my mate was an Apple fan, but his dad still connected Apple and Macintosh with beige boxes and <OS 9. I showed him the website, he thought it was a hoax. "no computer could be that thin" (iMac). I showed him mine. "Nice skin, where did you get it from?"
They ended up getting a PC. And the father left the family:rolleyes: . The next computer my friend gets is promised to be a Mac.

Another example, i went to Myer, because i read that they were selling Apple computers. they already sell iPods. I asked someone where the iMacs were. They said i might find them in the toy section.

Apple need to make people realise that the iPod is made by the same people who make Apple computers, but i think all the advertising in the world can't change consumer stupidity.

whooleytoo
Jul 11, 2006, 09:05 AM
Is it any wonder people call the stores "iPod stores" - if I'm not mistaken, Apple's name isn't written on the outside anywhere.

Viking Quest
Jul 11, 2006, 09:09 AM
Is it any wonder people call the stores "iPod stores" - if I'm not mistaken, Apple's name isn't written on the outside anywhere.

This is a really good thread by the way.

I just can't stand ignorance. When people call them "iPod" stores and when people own an iPod and say "Mac's SUCK!"...it just pisses me off. It makes these people look soooo stupid. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them very much. 95% of the people who say "mac's suck" have never even used one, that's the worst part.

monke
Jul 11, 2006, 03:12 PM
90% Of the people at my school think every mp3 player is called an iPod.

It's like that everywhere: Please turn off any cellphones, pager or iPods. Never the mention of MP3 players, always your iPod.
Even on airplanes: Please turn off alll your electronic devices, this includes cellphones, iPods, Gameboy's and DVD players.

It's the whole 'branding' thing. People ask for a Kleenex not a bathroom tissue. There a bunch of other ones, but I can't remeber them at the moment.

monke
Jul 11, 2006, 03:15 PM
This is a really good thread by the way.

I just can't stand ignorance. When people call them "iPod" stores and when people own an iPod and say "Mac's SUCK!"...it just pisses me off. It makes these people look soooo stupid. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them very much. 95% of the people who say "mac's suck" have never even used one, that's the worst part.

I say we brain wash 'em all. Sit them down in a theatre, with their iPods, and make them watch a video. Kinda like the 1984 ad :D

rebhaf
Jul 12, 2006, 05:15 AM
I think that iPods are essentially the Kleenex and Rollerblade of MP3 players.

That is, how many people ask for a "facial tissue" as opposed to a "kleenex"? Or ask for a pair of "inline roller skates" as opposed to "rollerblades"? (Perhaps these are US-only references, but I'm sure other countries have similar ones)

People say "iPod" to mean digital music player.

The irony! It's funny, for years everyone gave the word "Walkman" to all portable cassette players with headphones. Now today, every time my wife needs to juice up her Sony MP player (which is actually called a Walkman!!), she asks me if I can charge up her iPod!

penter
Jul 24, 2006, 05:54 PM
i've gotten tired of having discussioins with people (even my dad, a while ago) which insisted that apple was unrelated to macintosh; that they are two different companies of some sort.
The thruth, though, is that Apple Computer, Macintosh, iMac and other trademarks from apple (excluding ipods) are really unknown in foreign countries. I can only speak for Brazil, because I'm Brazilian, and i know that people have no idea of what I'm talking about when i itry to explain that my computer is different from theirs; that it runs different types of applications. They wonder, "what other computer can there be besides a Windows coomputer?" and i just say "nevermind, you wont get it."
Oh, well.... nothing i can do about it.

DaveP
Jul 24, 2006, 07:56 PM
Sometime during high school I stopped being ignorant about ignorance. In other words, I realized that a large number of people can be incredibly stupid/clueless.

I find it very telling that in our society (America at least), that for the most part being intelligent is not "cool", while being/acting dumb is. Messed up place...

technicolor
Jul 24, 2006, 08:07 PM
It's the whole 'branding' thing. People ask for a Kleenex not a bathroom tissue. There a bunch of other ones, but I can't remeber them at the moment.

Same for people calling all diapers...Pampers

Xeroxing is a verb and a noun for a copy

Oh and my absolute most annoying one....is when people , particularly wait staff in restaurants, ask me what kind of coke I want. a orange coke? lime coke coke? :rolleyes:

penter
Jul 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
lol it could be diet coke.
go to brazil and they'll ask you what kind of water you want. seriously! they always thing you're getting sparkling water. you have to tell them if its sparkling or not.

GoCubsGo
Jul 24, 2006, 09:05 PM
Some people seem to think that "Mac" is a company, "iPod" is a company, and "Apple" was a company.

WAS? hahaha bite your tongue!

Some_Big_Spoon
Jul 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
I've heard dozens of people call it "The iPod Store".

ipod store =! apple store.

It makes me ill, but it's understandable considering how Apple advertises. There's a serious disconnect between their product lines in their advertising, especially their tv ads. But whatever.

Let's all go to the ipod store!!!11!1 W00T!

BoyBach
Jul 26, 2006, 05:23 PM
It's no surprise that people don't know that Apple make iPods. I mean take a look at this 'iPod' (http://www.sunconnection.jp/product/scmp001w/index.html)

Willis
Jul 26, 2006, 07:35 PM
I've heard dozens of people call it "The iPod Store".

ipod store =! apple store.

It makes me ill, but it's understandable considering how Apple advertises. There's a serious disconnect between their product lines in their advertising, especially their tv ads. But whatever.

Let's all go to the ipod store!!!11!1 W00T!

i believe the iLife Ad has the windows guy with an iPod, and the Mac guy is like "iPod, cool".

So... maybe Apple are twigging onto this? Or they actually believe people are more intellegent than the think. :confused:

Willis
Jul 26, 2006, 07:46 PM
They talk like they don't exist anymore and I'd like to know how they can be so blind when almost every computer that appears on tv shows is a Mac.

Examples:
- Carrie's in Sex and the City
- Chloe's in Smallville
- Scully's in X-Files
- Veronica's in Veronica Mars
- Summer's in The O.C.
- Ephram's in Everwood

And that's just to name a few... :confused:

Silent Witness on BBC 1 here in the UK. they have G4 iMacs. My Family, G3 iMac, another BBC show. fair few..

BoyBach
Jul 30, 2006, 11:55 AM
Silent Witness on BBC 1 here in the UK. they have G4 iMacs. My Family, G3 iMac, another BBC show. fair few..

They also use a Powerbook in 'Escape to the Country' to show the the buyers the movies of the houses.

moot
Jul 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
This article reminds me of an aquaintance - in his fourties.

He was telling me how he practices English every day on the train by listening to some tracks from an English textbook. He said he listens on his iMac.

I was picturing this guy sitting on the train with a huge iMac just to listen to some music. He actually says "iMac" several times.

He then says he has it with him and pulls out what he is calling an iMac. It's a nano of course.

Wonder how he got confused. Never mind not knowing who made his iPod, but mixing it up with another product made by the same company:eek:

imacintel
Jul 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
Funny, it has apple markings on it, it shows an apple when you turn it on.

Of course it's not made by apple. :rolleyes:

Aperture
Aug 10, 2006, 10:33 PM
Alright guys, I had to add this. Sorry to bring back an old thread.:( I came to this from my "Previous Posts" list and decided to IM a few random people and ask them who made the iPod... Majority said "The iPod Company". I'm not even joking. It is pretty sad.:o Here is what one person said. (I am not showing the person's name)

Me
Lucky Canidate
-------------------------------------------------------------
AIM IM with ____ <_________>.
11:24 PM
____, quick question
okay .
do you know who makes the iPod?
uhm.the ipod company.
ok, thanks
yeah im sorry.i really have no clue

**Following that answer, I preceded to lecture the very, very lucky canidate. :p **

G5Unit
Aug 10, 2006, 11:02 PM
Just asked about 10 people(all teenagers) from my Buddy List and they all knew iPods are made by apple AND that Apple makes computers. Only one person said iPods are made by the Apple Store. I live in SO. Cal and most people say macs suck but I think maybe 80 percent know iPods are made by Apple.