PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook pro and pro tools. Any problems?




dakota13
Apr 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
Had to ask if anyone has heard about any kinks or problems with running pro-tools and the mbox 2 or any other software like final cut on the new powerbook pro? Thanks for any insight.



Kingsly
Apr 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
Had to ask if anyone has heard about any kinks or problems with running pro-tools and the mbox 2 or any other software like final cut on the new powerbook pro? Thanks for any insight.
Its a MacBook Pro. ;)
Mbox crashed mine. Twice. Wait until Digidesign releases the universal version in may.
Unfortunately, there is no workaround to get Protools or Coreaudio manager working under rosetta without causing a kernal panic. Sorry.
Final cut does work, as does soundtrack (under rosetta) or you could pay for the crossgrade (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/) and not have to deal with rosetta at all!

WinterMute
Apr 4, 2006, 05:55 AM
As above, Protools will not work under Rossetta on my Intel iMac, and is therefore not currently supported by the MBP.

The latest from Digidesign is that they may have the UA version available by as early the end of April, but expect May.

Logic in it's Universal form absolutely screams on the iMac, I expect Protools to do the same or there's gonna be trouble...:D

dakota13
Apr 4, 2006, 08:50 AM
As above, Protools will not work under Rossetta on my Intel iMac, and is therefore not currently supported by the MBP.

The latest from Digidesign is that they may have the UA version available by as early the end of April, but expect May.

Logic in it's Universal form absolutely screams on the iMac, I expect Protools to do the same or there's gonna be trouble...:D


SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE KINK TO BE WORKED OUT AND get a G4?

4God
Apr 4, 2006, 08:59 AM
SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE KINK TO BE WORKED OUT AND get a G4?


No, I think I would wait until somebody actually runs ProTools on a new MacBook Pro and see what the results are. If it turns out that the MacBook Pro is stable and fast, then go for it. Otherwise get a refurb G4 - or try Logic Pro.

milo
Apr 4, 2006, 09:04 AM
SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE KINK TO BE WORKED OUT AND get a G4?

It's only going to be May, so tough it out.

In the meantime, take a look at logic. Great app and runs amazing on all the intel boxes.

dakota13
Apr 4, 2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. WHAT IS MY OPTION FOR GETTING a HIGH-END XLR-MIC input into a powerbook pro if I don't use the mbox?
Or can I upgrade the Mbox I just purchased in may or there-abouts?



It's only going to be May, so tough it out.

In the meantime, take a look at logic. Great app and runs amazing on all the intel boxes.

dakota13
Apr 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
If I do not use the mbox, what is the best and cheapest option to input sound from an xlr mic into the new macbook pro?
thanks.....