Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Hey there guys im working on a portfolio to get some for freelancing gigs. Im a 3d guy and dont know anythign about makin a site. I have the design down so far but dont know where to take it form there.

heres what i have so far for the design.
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3938/untitled19ns.jpg
If theres anyone out there who is willing to maybe guide me along the process or help me out that would be awsome becuase im a retard when it comes to coding lol

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Adam Chase said:
Hey there guys im working on a portfolio to get some for freelancing gigs. Im a 3d guy and dont know anythign about makin a site. I have the design down so far but dont know where to take it form there.

heres what i have so far for the design.
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3938/untitled19ns.jpg
If theres anyone out there who is willing to maybe guide me along the process or help me out that would be awsome becuase im a retard when it comes to coding lol
Looks pretty good as far as design goes!

I would recommend the MR user Butters... he helped with the coding and uploading of my site (see below). I was in the same situation as you... I knew exactly what i wanted and created it in photoshop... he helped me realize it and turn it into webspeak. I'm completely illiterate in that dep't.

Butters was great to work with... i think we completed the project within a few days.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Are you intending to do the site in HTML or in flash? If it is in flash, you will need a lot more help, if you are just doing html, you can use photoshop + imageready to help you start off.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
looks really good, except contacts is misspelled ;)

how are you looking to do this? like just a simple layout of imageready slices with an iframe in the middle? that's fairly simple to do in just imageready and a bit of coding.

sapereaude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
I can certainly help out a fellow mac rumors user.

I agree with Homer that, from the basic info we have, that an Iframe would work well for the middle. However, in my experience ImageReady is not a good tool for beginners in the HTML world to use since the code is so dirty and, generally speaking, a beginner would rely on said code and rely too heavily on big and numerous images.

Just a few things that I see right off the bat:
• the background can be a tiny tiled image, 6x6 px
• I would reccomend using text rather than images for the menu, unless you have wacky rollovers in mind.

I took a couple of minutes to throw together a page template with blank content pages. The page template is really efficient, it only uses 2 images (the tile background and the "logo"), so this sucker will load really fast.

http://www.digitalflora.net/AdamChase/

Next thing we'll need to know to get you moving is to know what that inside content is going to be, and see any possible layouts or samples that you have for that area.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
sapereaude said:
I can certainly help out a fellow mac rumors user.

I agree with Homer that, from the basic info we have, that an Iframe would work well for the middle. However, in my experience ImageReady is not a good tool for beginners in the HTML world to use since the code is so dirty and, generally speaking, a beginner would rely on said code and rely too heavily on big and numerous images.

Just a few things that I see right off the bat:
• the background can be a tiny tiled image, 6x6 px
• I would reccomend using text rather than images for the menu, unless you have wacky rollovers in mind.

I took a couple of minutes to throw together a page template with blank content pages. The page template is really efficient, it only uses 2 images (the tile background and the "logo"), so this sucker will load really fast.

http://www.digitalflora.net/AdamChase/

Next thing we'll need to know to get you moving is to know what that inside content is going to be, and see any possible layouts or samples that you have for that area.
Why did you use tables? C'mon, man, CSS all the way!

sapereaude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
I figured someone would bring up using tables rather than CSS.

1) I threw it togther in about 3 minutes in dreamweaver.
2) It's just personal habit/belief, I think a beginner should start with the most basic tags and markup, no other reasons.

Feel free to add your way if you don't like mine.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
sapereaude said:
I figured someone would bring up using tables rather than CSS.

1) I threw it togther in about 3 minutes in dreamweaver.
2) It's just personal habit/belief, I think a beginner should start with the most basic tags and markup, no other reasons.

Feel free to add your way if you don't like mine.

Tables are going to great start for him. He will be able to take your code and modify it to his likeness/needs later on quite easily.

BTW: Yeah you are right, CSS is a bitch for beginners.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Mac_Freak said:
BTW: Yeah you are right, CSS is a bitch for beginners.

I would quite strongly disagree with you; table-based layouts are a horrid thing, and incredibly frustrating. CSS isn't particularly hard, but someone has to explain the paradigm of it properly to a beginner.

sapereaude

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
I apologize in advance for the long post, but odds are I won't be back in this thread.

I really hate to see a simple request for help turn into an arguement of opinions and personal preferences.

That said this will be my last post to this thread in outside the realm of aiding someone who wants a little help getting started.

Let me preface my comments here a bit. First, I don't claim to be the know-all, end-all of teaching beginning web. I have been teaching a community class on it for quite some time, I speak only from my own experience helping people get started and all the success and failures I have had in that area. Right, Wrong or Other, this is how I would get people started.

I simply let some someone decide what they want to accomplish as far as a basic look and/or content goes (Adam's JPG). I show them a basic way to accomplish that (my template). Its not that I believe that tables are necessarily easier than CSS, its that I consider them a more basic element of website design and creation. I then show them the steps to take to do it for themselves (hasn't happened, possibly interupted by this stupid arguement). My intention was to then go through the code of the template with Adam.

I would always suggest starting out in a text editor and looking only at the html to begin, this way you get a better idea of what WYSIWYG code editors are doing and what things like CSS, dynamic content, etc. can help you accomplish and streamline. And since someone will bring it up, yes I did throw that template together in Dreamweaver only beacause I wanted to accomplish it very fast, and I know what Dreaweaver is doing.

Agree with me, disagree with me, I don't care. I just wanted to help someone in a way I believe works well for most people.

Now let's stop the BS and let Adam get some help.

Again I apologize for the long post.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
sapereaude said:
Now let's stop the BS and let Adam get some help.

'BS' is also a matter of opinion, isn't it?

Anyway, here's my five minute XHTML+CSS layout prototype, sans tables (also without images, I don't have much for an image editor at the office):

PHP:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>Foo</title>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
<!--
body, div, p {
	margin: 0px;
	padding: 0px;   
	font-family: sans-sarif;
	font-size: 1em;
}
body {
	background: #224;
}
#pageWrapper {
	width: 600px;
	margin-top: 100px;
	margin-left: auto;
	margin-right: auto;
}
#nav {
	width: 600px;
	color: white;
	text-align: center;
	font-size: 0.8em;
	text-transform: uppercase;
	height: 20px;
	border-bottom: 1px solid #990;
}
#nav span {
	width: 20%;
	float: left;
	display: block;
}

#nav a {
	font-weight: bold;
	text-decoration: none;
	color: white;
	text-align: justify;
}
#contentWrapper {
	padding: 10px;
	background: black;
	clear: both;
}
#content {
	width: 580px;
	background: white;
	color: black;
}

-->
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="pageWrapper">
	<div id="nav">
		<span><a href="">3D Work</a></span>
		<span><a href="">Photography</a></span>

<span><a href="">Clients</a></span>
		<span><a href="">Services</a></span>
		<span><a href="">Contact/Info</a></span>
	</div>
	<div id="contentWrapper">
		<div id="content">
			<p>Stuff</p>

<p>Stuff</p>
			<p>Stuff</p>
			<p>Stuff</p>
		</div>
	</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Yes, the <span> tags in the #nav <div> aren't needed, it was from a quick experiment. The CSS ought to be offloaded onto another file.

meganl

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2006
dreamweaver question

I am new in the mac rumers forum, sorry to interrupt, but I am not sure where to start a new forum question.

So here is my question, if you are a dreamweaver user,

what is the code for 100% scaling an image with in a table?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.