PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget North Korea

diorio
Feb 3, 2003, 09:17 AM
SEOUL, South Korea -- A top North Korean military official says the country's troops are ready in case of an attack by the United States.

It seems to me that North Korea is more dangerous than Iraq right now. North Korea is moving closer and closer to having nukes, and it's citizens are loyal to Kim Jong II. Here's the link North Korea (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/03/nkorea.us/index.html)

lmalave
Feb 3, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by diorio
SEOUL, South Korea -- A top North Korean military official says the country's troops are ready in case of an attack by the United States.

It seems to me that North Korea is more dangerous than Iraq right now. North Korea is moving closer and closer to having nukes, and it's citizens are loyal to Kim Jong II. Here's the link North Korea (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/03/nkorea.us/index.html)

Yeah, but we're not going to do crap about it. It would just become another Korea or Vietnam war. North Korea isn't like Iraq where even after 30 years of Saddam's rule people are still more loyal to their tribe than to the country. North Korea is one of the most racially homogenous areas in the world. It would be just like Vietnam where villagers fight tooth and nail to the death even as we carpet bomb them. It would NOT be a pretty sight, I tell ya.

diorio
Feb 3, 2003, 10:27 AM
I agree, it would definately be a longer, harder war than Iraq.

rainman::|:|
Feb 3, 2003, 04:45 PM
north korea is one of the few places i support military action by the US. iraq is nothing compared to these guys... we can't refuse to act simply because it would be hard... it's only going to get harder.

the south koreans are begging us to come in, while burning NK flags. the iraqi people surely aren't begging us to come in... all they want is sadam's exile under a plan they have already pretty much agreed on.

pnw

topicolo
Feb 3, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

the south koreans are begging us to come in, while burning NK flags. the iraqi people surely aren't begging us to come in... all they want is sadam's exile under a plan they have already pretty much agreed on.

pnw

That's a bit of an overgeneralization, isn't it? Especially considering the fact that North Korea has more artillery pointed at Seoul than all of the hardware the Canadian army has. If the US attacks NK, Seoul would be flattened in an hour. I seriously doubt South Koreans living in their capital city will want to be obliterated by wave after wave of artillery shells.

The only option for the US is diplomacy. NK has george bush by the balls and they starting to squeeze ever so slightly by the day.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 3, 2003, 07:40 PM
where is are supposed freinds China and Russia in all this? I guess its just fine to let that killer/dictator make more nukes?How much money goes to those 2 countries?same old thing!The Problem is that S.Korea could be easily taken if not for us?North Korea has nothing to loose because they have nothing to start with except a big military and lots of weapons that they got from china and russia.

MrMacMan
Feb 3, 2003, 07:46 PM
N. Korea dictator has glasses.

End of discuion.

Bush will not attack ANYONE with glasses.

topicolo
Feb 3, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
where is are supposed freinds China and Russia in all this? I guess its just fine to let that killer/dictator make more nukes?How much money goes to those 2 countries?same old thing!The Problem is that S.Korea could be easily taken if not for us?North Korea has nothing to loose because they have nothing to start with except a big military and lots of weapons that they got from china and russia.

China, Japan, Russia and SK are understandably more cautious. If things go wrong, they're within range of that crazed maniac's nukes while the US isn't...yet. This is why Bush is more aggressive in his dealings with the NKs. Of course, if NK does ever dare to start throwing nukes, they WILL be wiped off the face of the earth, along with millions of innocent civilians. :(. Still, NK sells its weapons to dictatorships all over the world so it wont be long before they start dealing nukes to Osama bin Laden. Big problem, no easy answers (unless a nuke fight is on your mind).

unclepain
Feb 4, 2003, 02:25 PM
This isn't meant to start a flame- I'm just generally curious.

Why are we are so bent out of shape about other countries attaining nuclear weaponry? I understand the arguments about Iraq and the possibility of their weapons being used against us (hypothetically) and I realize that North Korea signed and renegged on a treaty banning nuclear weapon development, but isn't it just a little ironic that the countries who are the most bent about this are countries that contain enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth 1000 times over? Honestly, if the world wants to get serious about nukes, then it needs to get serious about complete disarmament across the board. That will never happen. So here we are- several countries have lots of nukes running around threatening to blow up other countries who want nukes, and all I can see is the whole world running headlong into devastation. What am I missing here?

macfan
Feb 4, 2003, 03:44 PM
What I think you're missing is that nuclear weapons in the hands of France, for example, do not represent the same level of threat that weapons of this type in the hands of a sociopath like Saddam.

I don't think it's quite as simple that "several countries have lots of nukes running around threatening to blow up other countries who want nukes, " as you put it. The more countries you have building these weapons, the greater the odds that someone will use them or lose control of them to terrorists. Now, the use of a single nuclear weapon is not going to devastate the earth, but it would be a horrible event.

Total disamament would have the unfortunate side effect of making the world safer for war, if that's really what we want. There is little doubt but that the presence of nuclear weapons kept the Cold War from becoming a very hot war in Europe. At the same time, it sure would be nice to have a world without these weapons because we are no longer in a stable, if tense, bipolar situation.

zarathustra
Feb 4, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
N. Korea dictator has glasses.

End of discuion.

Bush will not attack ANYONE with glasses.

Jon Stewart fan, I assume?

The problem is, Russia and China will quietly support countries they can sell weapons/anything to. Why is Iraq and NK equipped with mostly Russian technology? Because they are the only ones that will sell it in quiet, behind everyone's back.

e-coli
Feb 4, 2003, 10:49 PM
How many nuclear / cruise missile submarines do you think we have parked off the coast of the Korean peninsula right now?

I'm willing to bet it's a substantial number. ;)

kylos
Feb 4, 2003, 10:53 PM
NK isn't interested in Russia and China, they're only interested in getting concessions from the US. And since we're targetting iraq so heavily, they figure we're to preoccupied to confront them and will settle easily with them.

professor
Feb 5, 2003, 01:38 PM
... this forum, like some others, simply make me sick. Is throwing bombs and killing civilians all you guys can think of? What a sorry state of mind.

macfan
Feb 5, 2003, 01:45 PM
professor, it's a discussion of current events. In case you haven't noticed, the news has been dominated by the situation in Iraq, North Korea, and the loss of the shuttle Columbia. It is quite curious as to why one would complain about people discussing the news of the day in a "current events" forum. What's up with that? When the news turns to something else, so will the forum topics.

markomarko
Feb 5, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra

Jon Stewart fan, I assume?

The problem is, Russia and China will quietly support countries they can sell weapons/anything to. Why is Iraq and NK equipped with mostly Russian technology? Because they are the only ones that will sell it in quiet, behind everyone's back.

Ahem, Iran-Contra anyone?

topicolo
Feb 5, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by professor
... this forum, like some others, simply make me sick. Is throwing bombs and killing civilians all you guys can think of? What a sorry state of mind.

Arrogant, condescending b**tards make me sick. Is being an @$$ all you can think of?
What a sorry state of mind, troll.