PDA

View Full Version : VPC performace on G3/800 iBook

kzoonut
Feb 3, 2003, 10:09 AM
Has anyone had experience running Virtual PC 6 on the iBook G3/800? What is the performace like?

Of course, I know the iBook will need maxxed out RAM, but I'm trying to make a purchasing decision between the G3/iBook and the new 12" pBook. Unfortunately I'm going to have to run VPC while I'm at work (Novell & Groupwise - argh!) - just wondering what I might expect if I pick up the iBook.

Thanks!!

AnotherMortal
Feb 4, 2003, 10:35 AM
There is a company that provides a novell client for OS X; ProSoft (http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/netware_client_x.php)

I haven't used it because I couldn't convince my employer to buy it for me, but thats okay, my boss did buy my whole office GeForce 4's for our desktop PCs. I'm not complaining. :)

As for groupwise, doesn't it have a web interface? I used to administer several novell servers, but didn't use groupwise.

Adurbe
Feb 4, 2003, 11:16 AM
i run vpc 6 on a iMac 450DV+ (ie a G3)

Windows 95 runs @ full speed and 98 is a touch sluggish but usable

XP is too slow :( :(

if I were you though go for the G4 in the powerbook, remember apple's own iApps are starting to become G4 only....

Remenicent of the demise of the 604e

kzoonut
Feb 4, 2003, 11:32 AM
Yes, Groupwise does have a web interface - but it's still a little clunky (authentication warnings in Mac browsers on the login pages). I have discovered a novell related company (N-iX) (http://n-ix.com) that has put a java version of Groupwise out there for (*)NIX clients and supposedly supports OS X as well, but I haven't had the chance to try to get it working. Plus, it looks like from the install file there's a few files I have to install on the GroupWise server itself - and not so sure how my ITS department would feel about that....

Has anyone else tried the N-iX solution? Any success?

I've also seen the ProSoft client - but I'm in the same boat in getting my company to pay for it :(.

I also need to run SQL Navigator for my Oracle work, and that unfortunately is PC only app as well...not to mention the dirty rotten Novell Border Manager. In order to browse on the Mac behind our firewall I've got to get a certificate from the Border Manager, either thru Netscape Communicator in Classic, or IE in VPC.

In all, I figured the best solution was VPC - but thanks for the input! :)