Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Yeah, its weird. Just started tonight out of the blue. My G5 won't boot if the speakers are plugged into the back. Tried a different set... same thing. You press the power buttong, starts up for 2 seconds then shuts off. Take out the speaker plug from the back, no problems.

What is going on?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
That sounds like there are some wires crossed in the speaker jack, don't know why that would all of a sudden happen now though. Is there some extra metal in there or something? That is the only thing I can think of.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
yippy said:
That sounds like there are some wires crossed in the speaker jack, don't know why that would all of a sudden happen now though. Is there some extra metal in there or something? That is the only thing I can think of.

You nailed it. I forgot I swapped a hard drive in there and I have the G5 Jive. I must have bumped a wire or something because I just took the Jive out and moved the wires around a little then stuck it back in and now it boots just fine with the speakers in. Thanks.

[EDIT: Ok back to not booting. Hmm]

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Ok, upon extensive troubleshooting (taking the thing apart). I have discovered this. THe G5 Jive that I got months ago always had just one drive in there. A 160gb Seagate. I just today put in another 160gb seagate and striped them together to make a 320gb drive. Everything went smoothly. Here is the catch. For some reason it won't boot (sometimes) with the second drive power plug in the drive. The speaker cable was a coincidence, nothing to do with it. Soooo. What the hell? Is my mac drawing too much power and shutting down? Do I have a fualty power supply?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.