PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you get a break and things work out in your favor

Mr. Anderson
Feb 3, 2003, 01:14 PM
So, I've been at my current job for 10 years - been struggling to keep my Mac and eeking by. But today, another of my colleagues needed a temporary computer to fill in for the next week or so while his TiPB was out getting fixed, managed to convince the right people and we went out to the Apple Store in Clarendon and bought a Dual 1.25 Ghz machine (older top end version left over since the recent upgrades, so it has the 2 MB level 3 cache) for a significant savings!!!! They only had one left, in the back, too - oh and its got the Super Drive!

But the great thing for me is when his Powerbook comes back, I'll have access to it, mostly all to myself actually :D

But talk about a nice 'temporary' computer!

D

mcrain
Feb 3, 2003, 01:18 PM
scumbag piece of **** ******cker ****er ***** *****le **** **** **** and ****.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 3, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

hmm, my my my, a little hostile there? :D

I'm looking forward to testing out the rendering differences between my machine at home: G4 450 MHz, my TiPB 667 MHz, and the Dual 1.25 GHz. After installing a few apps, I've noticed a huge difference in speed already. :D

D

mcrain
Feb 3, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
hmm, my my my, a little hostile there? :D
:D

D

I always forget to add the smiley faces when I add silly and off-color humor that can be easily misinterpreted.

No, I'm not really hostile (as you knew), but you needed to know that there would be a lot of people drooling at the prospect of having a duelly 1.25 to play with (especially seeing as how you're ending up with it).

Mr. Anderson
Feb 3, 2003, 04:45 PM
I'm actually quite shocked myself that it was so easy, considering the track record at my company. I'll be doing a little extra for the guy who pushed this through, thats for sure.

But I won't really be able to play with it until next week or the week after. That's a tough one, believe me.

D

scem0
Feb 3, 2003, 08:41 PM

ditto

jelloshotsrule
Feb 3, 2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by scem0

ditto

wow... how enlightening.

scem0
Feb 3, 2003, 08:45 PM
Well, I am serious when I say that. I really am mad that I don't
get a good mac... :( ;) . Oh well, I'll be able to afford one once I'm
older and have an ok job.

BTW - I was really tempted just to respon 'ditto' - that would be
pretty funny... for me at least :D:D:D.

G4scott
Feb 3, 2003, 09:13 PM
my dad decided that we should get a dual ghz machine late last year, since our 400mhz g4 was getting kinda old, and we could get $500 for it at CompUSA...

I love it... It beats the heck out of my 600mhz iBook...

scem0
Feb 3, 2003, 09:50 PM
compUSA buys computers?! I wasn't aware of that...... hmmm...

Mr. Anderson
Feb 4, 2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by scem0
compUSA buys computers?! I wasn't aware of that...... hmmm...

its nice to have a fast computer, but not everyone needs the fastests thing out there. I've been on rants before about the lack of speed and the fact that I'm not going to be totally happy with any machine until I can do realtime radiosity at HDTV or higher res (which won't happen for years, maybe even 10).

I am a power user and I've been muddling through with what I have. I'll buy the next PowerMac with the IBM 970, but until then this will work out nicely.

Since you don't have a job, can you work? Why not get one and start putting the money away for a new PowerMac if it means that much to you.

And, what exactly would you do with the new machine?

D

mcrain
Feb 4, 2003, 04:26 PM

D

FYI, I bought a Powerbook 1 Gig with superdrive. Way more computer than I would have needed had I used it like I used my PC. BUT, this thing is so easy to use, I'm burning cd's, photo editing, doing digital video, video editing, dvd burning, multimedia presentations, etc...

All this because I can now!

I bought a computer with all this power, and suddenly, instead of it being unused, I'm learning to do all sorts of new things and making use of its power!

I love macs now and will not go back.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 4, 2003, 04:29 PM
I bought a computer with all this power, and suddenly, instead of it being unused, I'm learning to do all sorts of new things and making use of its power!

I love macs now and will not go back.

That's actually very cool and a very good point :D

So when do we get to see some of your movies posted on the Short Movie thread?

D

scem0
Feb 4, 2003, 04:51 PM

Everything. I am on the computer a lot. Doing everything from
homework, toprogramming (c++ homework), to games, to chatting,
to photoshopping a logo for my parents' business. I use my
computer for anything and everything I do. Speed isn't that
important to me, but I would be INCREDIBLY annoyed if I spent
a whole lot on my new mac, and it wasn't faster than my current
PC that I only spent $700 on. :rolleyes: ;)