Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Im looking to join the apple student developer programme but wondering is it avalable in the uk ? and what do you actually get for being a member ?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
yeah you have to give your uni number and the name of your university...

TBH I can't really see the benifit of paying the money except for the discount on a Mac. I'm just fine with the free membership (but hey I'm not one for spending money I don't have to...)

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
If you get the full version you get extra software delivered, but im still not sure if thats the case with student one.

As a student I get a discount anyway so it mostly the resources that i want.

confusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Basel/Switzerland
I joined the ADC student developer programme last year for two reasons: 1. to get the discount (got myself a Quad ;) ) and 2. to be able to apply for a scholarship at WWDC.

The Mailing includes a CD or DVD with all recent updates, newest version of XCode and WebObjects, sample code, documentation, etc. (which you could probably also find on the web). Also, from time to time they send you a new set of MacOS X DVDs/CDs

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
confusion said:
I joined the ADC student developer programme last year for two reasons: 1. to get the discount (got myself a Quad ;) ) and 2. to be able to apply for a scholarship at WWDC.

The Mailing includes a CD or DVD with all recent updates, newest version of XCode and WebObjects, sample code, documentation, etc. (which you could probably also find on the web). Also, from time to time they send you a new set of MacOS X DVDs/CDs

Im in envy of your quad. :)

Sounds good, so how often do you get the cd-roms ?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I knew about this program beofer i went off to college but i was not 18 so i could not sign up. My next purchase (MBP with merom and 10.5) I will be signing up for this Student developer discount and buying. I just cant decide if i want to sign up and be a full fledge member so i can get access to the pre-release stuff.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MacDonaldsd said:
Sounds good, so how often do you get the cd-roms ?
They're monthly DVDs. They've also given me two free copies of Tiger; I since sold my retail package.

When the Intel PMs come out I'm using my discount and going to cause my credit card to explode. :)

Oh, and you get an OS X t-shirt! :D

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Don M. said:
They're monthly DVDs. They've also given me two free copies of Tiger; I since sold my retail package.

When the Intel PMs come out I'm using my discount and going to cause my credit card to explode. :)

Oh, and you get an OS X t-shirt! :D

Do you get pre-release os ? Like leopard after WWDC this year ? or is that select members only ?

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MacDonaldsd said:
Do you get pre-release os ? Like leopard after WWDC this year ? or is that select members only ?
I haven't. I'm not sure how you go about doing this, but then, I don't attend WWDC or anything like that.

confusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Basel/Switzerland
yeah, the quad is great, except for the annoying gpu-fan...

the mailing consists of alternatingly a cd or a dvd (at least, that's what i got so far). you don't get pre-release software, except maybe if it's distributed at the wwdc.

confusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Basel/Switzerland
dferrara said:
The rate is 20% in most cases. Get your software and AppleCare from the education store though, it's a lot cheaper.

in the case of my quad it was indeed 20% for the cpu, but only around 10% for the display. applecare and software is definitely less expensive from the edu store...

something different: has anybody here ever applied for a wwdc scholarship? what did you write in your application?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
confusion said:
in the case of my quad it was indeed 20% for the cpu, but only around 10% for the display. applecare and software is definitely less expensive from the edu store...

Are you sure? At least for laptops, AppleCare at the education store is much cheaper. The 20-inch Cinema is also $15 less. In the developer store, titles like iWork are full price.

So there are exceptions.

confusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Basel/Switzerland
dferrara said:
Are you sure? At least for laptops, AppleCare at the education store is much cheaper. The 20-inch Cinema is also $15 less. In the developer store, titles like iWork are full price.

So there are exceptions.

that's what i wanted to say. software and applecare is cheaper at the education store. but the displays are in both cases only 10% less (at least here in switzerland)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
the base standard macbook pro is £1315 on the edu discount here in sunny britain.

how much cheaper is it with a student developer price?

if it's 20% i take it it's £1,143.20?

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Dont forget to add the $99 membership fee when calculating the savings on any new hardware. As others have mentioned, the Education discount is already pretty good, even without the Developer membership. (I have the free membership that still makes some resources available).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.