Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I think this is a great idea. The fact is the gap on this planet between rich & poor keeps getting wider. Hopefully one of these kids picking up a $100 laptop will grow to become a major force in the tech industry and create some real change.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Engadget just posted news that the machine will run a version of Windows CE, which is a blow to the Linux community. Negroponte claims that the proposed Linux distro was "as bloated as Windows". So of course the answer is to use Windows then. :mad:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Apparently they're ditching the hand crank for a foot pedal. Really it's more like a plus-sized palmpilot than a computer. But it's a good idea.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Lord Blackadder said:
Engadget just posted news that the machine will run a version of Windows CE, which is a blow to the Linux community. Negroponte claims that the proposed Linux distro was "as bloated as Windows". So of course the answer is to use Windows then. :mad:

They won't run exclusively on Windows; they will have the option of running Windows CE or a trimmed down version of Linux. I think Windows is a bad idea -- this thing should be completely open source, not a vehicle for selling software.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Maybe my expectations have been too high but the ditching of the crank and even the mention of optional use of Windows is a near-fatal one-two punch for me.

Windows defines software bloat. It seems an unreasonable assumption that the answer to a bloat problem is to run any version of Windows, especially when there are doubtless a lot of potential Linux distros to use (not to mention free use of OS X; Negroponte's refusal on grounds that it wasn't open source is now no longer an excuse with MS on the scene).

Leaving the hand crank aside, the answer to the bloat problem would be to maintain the focus of the device by developing a lean Linux distro that works, not installing Windows CE. I agree that Open Source should remain the defining feature of this project - take that away and it will be the $100 gadget that the Intel CEO predicted.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
princealfie said:
Read about the $100 laptop project from MIT. Apparently Bill Gates doesn't like it. http://www.laptop.org is the website.

Good idea in fact. Too bad those don't run mac os x...
Bill hates it because he things the new Origami priced at $500 is perfect for developing contries. umm... bill..... Developing contries cant afford to spend $500 on a computer nor do they always have a place to plug it in and charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.