PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card?

dwdrummer959
Feb 3, 2003, 04:23 PM
Hello all,
I'm a PC user getting ready to switch! I plan on getting a new dual 1.25 PM and i was wondering which video card you would recommend. I don't plan on doing much gaming, so I'm only considering the GeForce4 MX and the Radeon 9000. I've read that ATI has poor drivers, so i'm wondering which card will be the best. I just want DVDs to look good, as well as all around nice graphics, as OS X deserves it! (I also plan on getting the 20" LCD display!)

Any other suggestions/comments for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help, and I can't wait to switch!
-Scott

MrMacMan
Feb 3, 2003, 04:50 PM
All scores are about the same (probably less because of mac under-devolpment)
Tom's hardware. (http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-01.html)

Sure it's not perfect, but the ATI 9000 is definatlly better than the MX.

The GeForce 4 MX is a repackages 2 with a higher clock speed. :(

crazzyeddie
Feb 3, 2003, 05:06 PM
That 9000 will last you quite a while... say Hello to Doom 3 on that card =)

hugemullens
Feb 3, 2003, 06:32 PM
i'd go radeon. I got one in mine and have been tickled with its performance. Most of the driver issues are confined to the PC anyway, one nice perk of apple have control of the hardware and software. If it ships with the machine, it will work.

ScottDodson
Feb 3, 2003, 06:55 PM
I agree, I would go with the ATI. I use the 4MX on my computer personally, but that's just cause I got it from a friend. If you are only concerned with DVD playability and little issues like that, and not gaming....there's no reason for a larger card like the Ti or the 9700.

WannabeSQ
Feb 3, 2003, 10:01 PM
If you aren't going to do games, and aren't a stickler for DVD playback, get the Geforce 4 mx. It saves some money, and in the GUI, you probably wont be able to tell the difference between any of the cards apple offers.