PDA

View Full Version : pre-order versus waiting for the CD

nbs2
Apr 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
Part of my philosophy with buying physical CDs is that I like to have a high quality version in storage, especially with bands that I like. But, I have wondered if buying online gets more money into the pocket of the band. I wondered if this would be even moreso with pre-orders. Obviously every band is different, but I am thinking about preordering the RHCP album. The "bonuses" aren't that exciting - commentary and pre-ordering for tix (but they aren't coming to DC...).

So, I wonder the following - if getting an album online, especially the preorder, puts more money in their pockets and spurs the creation of more music (if this isn't true, then I'll just wait for the CD) then is that more noble than waiting for a CD quality backup and further enriching the physical middleman/RIAA?

yg17
Apr 4, 2006, 08:02 PM
Part of my philosophy with buying physical CDs is that I like to have a high quality version in storage, especially with bands that I like. But, I have wondered if buying online gets more money into the pocket of the band. I wondered if this would be even moreso with pre-orders. Obviously every band is different, but I am thinking about preordering the RHCP album. The "bonuses" aren't that exciting - commentary and pre-ordering for tix (but they aren't coming to DC...).

So, I wonder the following - if getting an album online, especially the preorder, puts more money in their pockets and spurs the creation of more music (if this isn't true, then I'll just wait for the CD) then is that more noble than waiting for a CD quality backup and further enriching the physical middleman/RIAA?

I doubt they get any more money. The RIAA is still very much involved with online music stores such as the iTMS.

BTW, you said the Chili Peppers aren't coming to DC, but if they're going anywhere that's reasonable driving distance, it's well worth it. I saw them in St. Louis a few years ago when they came with the Foo Fighters, it was one hell of a show.

nbs2
Apr 4, 2006, 09:03 PM
BTW, you said the Chili Peppers aren't coming to DC, but if they're going anywhere that's reasonable driving distance, it's well worth it. I saw them in St. Louis a few years ago when they came with the Foo Fighters, it was one hell of a show.
That's the only temptation with pre-ordering. They are going to SLC (and Boise, but no DC....), so maybe I could go visit my niece (the cutest little 18 month old ever), my brother in law's PM and 30" ACD, and hit the RHCP show. But that would only be if the date works out. :)

So, I'm better off waiting for the CD then?

ehayut
Apr 5, 2006, 05:17 AM
I'm torn between waiting for the CD but joining the fan club, or to preorder off iTunes. Either way, I need tickets before the general public :P

rockthecasbah
Apr 5, 2006, 05:51 AM
i just buy it first week it's out at Best Buy if it's a CD i really want. They always have it in, and prices are really low, sometimes only $8! I've preordered in my time, it's just a waste of money. To answer you question, i don't know where it goes, but nevertheless it's money out of my pocket.