Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
major revamp of the vlc (video lan client) code for all platforms

mac os x specific changes:

o localization support via GNU gettext software
o completely revamped Cocoa interface
o new preferences panel
o new open panel with full features
o video output screen can be chosen in the Video menu
o audio device and channels configuration can be chosen in the Audio menu
o new playlist drawer and messages windows

the new controls look really sharp. check out the changes for the whole project here.

DL it here.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
seems pretty cool, i just updated, and it looks a lot nicer than the old version, which i never really had a problem with, but i'm likin the new look. thanks for the info. :)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i wish the timebar would update quickly like quicktime does...i also had a problem with playing divx AVIs...once i tried pausing them, there was no play button...didn't try it with any other format...perhaps the pause button could change to a play button

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Well it's a helluva lot better than the last version for sure, but it hogs all my resources when it's playing and it always locks up right in the middle of a video and since it's taking all of my resources, I can't do anything about it until it stops or whatever.

MPlayer still whips the VLC client for now, it's much less trouble to use for me.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
I always used vlc when quicktime had a problem handling the video format.

Most of the time it worked ok but in .4 I was unimpressed by the GUI

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i love VLC for avi's that quicktime jsut wont play, and this is a great update. previously, id get small bumps when id move from the vlc active window and another program. this verion doesnt seem to do it.

In the last version when it did this the video and audio would get out of sync...this is an improvement for sure

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
vlc now supports windows media streams (mms://) so my computer is now 100% microsoft free (this feature is worth it's weight in gold). this version is a great improvement over the last releases, but it can get really bogged down and cause the interface to become cludgy. the preferences are absolutely bewildering, so i just stay away from them. it has dethroned mplayer on my machine, but the competition between the two will ensure that we always have a great product, regardless of which side is making it.

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
n playing svcds, it never had a problem before, but now it gives an error before playing it, which is annoying, cause there is no like, don't show this message again or something, the audio is fixed and it's awesome now, good new look, but it takes a LONG time to update anything while playing, which it never did before, before it was quick, easy and moved fast, now it's slow, hogs every resource and is bulky. maybe it'll get fixed next time, step in the right direction though.

also, i really like mplayer for osx, that was realeased in a stand alone app now, works really great too, mplayerosx.sourceforge.net for anyone looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.