PDA

View Full Version : To buy an iBook now??

DKZ
Apr 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hey

I'm a long time user of pcs, but as of this summer i'm going back to school, and therefor I want a laptop. And i'm pretty sure that it's going to be a mac, my dad got a iMac and i really like that you can have a computer that doesn't need maintnance every second day.

So i've been looking at a 12" iBook, I know that there is a upgrade to the ibook line just around the corner, but as far as I can understand it'll be a larger form factor and I really doesn't need that, the computer will mostly be used for school bussiness and an occasional video, so I don't think I need the ekstra power in an Intel based laptop, plus I would like to try a risc cpu before they go extinct.

So my question is this: Will I be happy with a 12" iBook? I know that it sounds like I already made up my mind, and I just need a last push. But this last push is rather important to me and my experience with my first mac.

I'm considering a mem upgrade to 1gb, for faster use of Mac OSX, and a larger hdd, for, well you know. Does the ekstra ram make stuff go faster, or is it overkill?

Plus I would like to play some games, nothing new or anything, but perhaps a little Warcraft 3, does this run acceptable on an iBook?

Thanks in advance ME

calebjohnston
Apr 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
With the bootcamp software just coming out, I'd say definetely wait. You'll be able to dual boot and that's incredible.

DKZ
Apr 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
With the bootcamp software just coming out, I'd say definetely wait. You'll be able to dual boot and that's incredible.

Thanks for your response, but that is really not a point of interest for me, I want a mac for Mac OSX, I have a rather fast pc standing here already with windows, and i'm really trying to get as far away for windows as possible. But thanks anyway, that may matter to some, just not me. :)

Another thing I have considered, is that I would like to see the intel ibook before I deside, but right now they could be coming any time from tomorrow to june, and I'm not going to wait until june.

And I do like the idea of not having a rev A model, the iBook by now should be a tried design..

cwedl
Apr 5, 2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your response, but that is really not a point of interest for me, I want a mac for Mac OSX, I have a rather fast pc standing here already with windows, and i'm really trying to get as far away for windows as possible. But thanks anyway, that may matter to some, just not me. :)

Another thing I have considered, is that I would like to see the intel ibook before I deside, but right now they could be coming any time from tomorrow to june, and I'm not going to wait until june.

IMO - I would wait until Intel comes to the iBook. I don't see the point in buying a G4 processor, compared to the Intel chips they are slow. People that say they don't care about speed i think would regret not waiting..

Is there any reason why you can't wait until June? If however you will use your iBook for webbrowsing and a few word documents that may be okay.

DKZ
Apr 5, 2006, 12:06 PM
IMO - I would wait until Intel comes to the iBook. I don't see the point in buying a G4 processor, compared to the Intel chips they are slow. People that say they don't care about speed i think would regret not waiting..

Is there any reason why you can't wait until June? If however you will use your iBook for webbrowsing and a few word documents that may be okay.

I can be really impatienced when it comes to computers. :) I'm not going to use the computer for anything more demanding then webbrowsing, word documents and videos, I don't do photoshop, and I have my A64 for anything really demanding. What is important to me is that the generel usage of the GUI is quick and responsive even with a couple of programs running, or quicker then my pc, which is impressivly bad at handling more then a couple of programs at once.

lonelemur90
Apr 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
definitely wait. if you do, you will be glad in the long run.Developers are going to start phasing out powerpc apps because of the extra money needed to create 2 different versions on one disk so it can be universal. also, if they do put in a core duo chip as an option even, your performance will GREATLY increase. as for playing graphics intensive games, i would not count on it. with only 32mb dedicated video memory, frame rates will be low and some games choppy, not to mention the small screen. Also, but the time the new ibooks (macbooks) come out, Leopard will most likely be out and shipping with new products, so by waiting you get the oppertunity to dual boot, better specs, and more a technologically advanced OS.

MacRumorsReader
Apr 5, 2006, 04:03 PM
Just wait. If for no other reasons than the speed gains.

Demon Hunter
Apr 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
For you there's no reason to wait. I have two months worth of note taking in my classes, not to mention summer semester... so no Intel iBook for me.

cwedl
Apr 5, 2006, 04:16 PM
For you there's no reason to wait. I have two months worth of note taking in my classes, not to mention summer semester... so no Intel iBook for me.

If I have a video open and I am webbrowsing and writing in word, my g4 powerbook becomes really slow the video is choppy. seriously I would wait! but if you can't you could do a lot worse like buy another pc!

Lau
Apr 5, 2006, 04:21 PM
I just bought an 12" iBook (upgraded to 80 GB HD) and whacked in an extra 1 GB chip of RAM today. This thing is awesome. I couldn't wait as my last computer died, and so had to go for it, and it's great. If I could have waited maybe I would have, maybe I wouldn't, but I don't see why you wouldn't be pleased with it as it is, especially with more RAM and a bigger HD.

galstaph
Apr 5, 2006, 04:48 PM
the current lineup of iBooks is great, slower but great. I love mine, it does everything I need of it.
But with the intel out I'd wait OR try to find a good deal on a powerbook.

pinto32
Apr 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
I have an 800mHz iBook G4, and it is a beautiful machine. However, I would personally put off buying until the last couple of weeks before your classes start. I haven't had the pleasure of using a Macintel yet, but every benchmark I see shows them clobbering the old PowerPC machines in everything, including startup time, web browsing, and general snappiness of the system.
This was my switching system (Fall 2003), so I understand the dilemma you are having right now. I had heard rumors of the iBooks moving from G3's to G4's, and was unsure of what to do. I obviously waited, and was ultimatly glad I did.
More specifically to your question, while OS X is so much better than XP, there is some lag in the User Interface that continues to bother me. As far as multitaking, it is leaps and bounds above windows (I can actually do other stuff while burning or ripping a CD!!!), however, it seems that they were never able to properly optimize OS X for PowerPC (that, or the new intels are just that good...).
But anyway, if it were me I'd wait reguardless. If you wait a few more weeks and nothing new comes out then no big deal, you will still have time to order a G4 for class. If you wait and aren't excited about the new book, then there will probably still be G4 iBooks for sale on Apple's site (as there were with iMacs and Powerbooks). If you wait and get a new intel machine, then you will probably be happy you waited, just like I am.
Either way, your going to love leaving Windows....I've never looked back.

marchcapital
Apr 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
ya dont wait for an ibook with intel...you will be waiting a while. if you really want an ibook buy it now. i suspect you will be waiting 6 months maybe longer for an intel ibook. first jobs is going to replace the power books one at a time then he'll move on to the ibooks. he doesnt do anything very swiftly, although, he knows how to make a kick ass OS.

WSUkrissy
Apr 5, 2006, 06:37 PM
I am in the same boat! I want an iBook for day-to-day stuff (iTunes, internet, im-ing) and am graduating here in May from college and want to use my student discount before it's too late...also, I will be overseas for the summer (military base...and Apple doesn't ship to APO/FPO addresses)

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 06:39 PM
I have a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 and I really enjoy using it. That said, If I was buying a new laptop now, it would either be a MacBook Pro or an intel iBook/MacBook when they come out.

The G4 should be able to handle your stated uses ok. Just make sure that you go for 1GB+ of RAM (the more RAM the better, especially with the slower processor). Either way you go, welcome to Mac DKZ! :)

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 06:50 PM
Jobs...he knows how to make a kick ass OS.

That he most certainly does marchcapital. :)

Oblivious
Apr 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
It has been far too long since the iBook G4 has been updated and it is inevitable that they will be revised sometime in the near future. Put your money on a future Intel iBook/MacBook, it's just been too long since a revision to take the plunge on a current iBook. You'll potentially get far more for your money and better future-proofing.

DKZ
Apr 6, 2006, 09:21 AM
Damn, you all make so good points, I'm really torn.

Right now, I do not believe that the Intel Ibook is right around the corner, if they are not going to release it at their 30th anniversary, then why should they do it some odd day in april, I believe that they will be released in june, which means that they'll prolly be ready to ship here in Denmark by july/august, and if thats the case, I'll end up with a rev A at the start of the school year, which is something I really don't want.

If I have a video open and I am webbrowsing and writing in word, my g4 powerbook becomes really slow the video is choppy. seriously I would wait! but if you can't you could do a lot worse like buy another pc!

Same thing happens with my A64 3200+, video will lag even when the only other program running is firefox. I don't think it has anything to do with the cpus overall speed, more cpu lag and which program you are focused on.

More specifically to your question, while OS X is so much better than XP, there is some lag in the User Interface that continues to bother me. As far as multitaking, it is leaps and bounds above windows (I can actually do other stuff while burning or ripping a CD!!!), however, it seems that they were never able to properly optimize OS X for PowerPC (that, or the new intels are just that good...).

Well, the few times I've used a ibook, and the use of my dads iMac has let me to the conclusion that no matter which I choose, it'll still be better then my windows machine.

as for playing graphics intensive games, i would not count on it. with only 32mb dedicated video memory, frame rates will be low and some games choppy, not to mention the small screen.

The small screen is not a negative thing to me, my girlfriend has a 15" laptop, and it is just way to unhandy for me, if the intel Ibook comes in a 13" widescreen form, it has to be very appealing on other fronts for me to go for the extra width. Plus I'm not to keen on widescreen laptops. And I realise that new games is a no go on the current iBook, as with any other laptop at that size. If I could play Warcraft III I'd be plenty happy, I have my windows machine for playing.

DKZ
Apr 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
Okay I think I might have the thing that can settle this for me, but I need your help. If we say that a windows celeron machine is a 1 out of 10, a quad G5 is a 10 and a windows 3ghz/3000+ machine is a 3 out of 10, when it comes to multitasking, considering that, how would you rate a iBook 12" with 1gb mem?

And I know that there has been a lot of these threads lately, and I'm sorry if you've felt that I've wasted your time, but I really want the best possible experience with The Switch..

baby duck monge
Apr 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
Well I can't really tell you whether to buy an iBook now (I would say no, but you want different things than I do). What I can tell you is that Warcraft 3 will run wonderfully on whatever you end up getting. So if that's what's important to you, don't let it hold you back :D

viperguy
Apr 6, 2006, 06:02 PM
Hmm... I'd say wait.
I assume (I may be wrong) that next versions with intel MIGHT have bigger screen, better resolution (brightness has been updated on the iMac and I think in the macbook pro too and looks great). Not to count that the battery may have a longer life, and this counts a lot.
Well, at least to me :)

DKZ
Apr 7, 2006, 01:31 AM
Hmm... I'd say wait.
I assume (I may be wrong) that next versions with intel MIGHT have bigger screen, better resolution (brightness has been updated on the iMac and I think in the macbook pro too and looks great). Not to count that the battery may have a longer life, and this counts a lot.
Well, at least to me :)

I sincerely doubt that the intel ibook will have better batteri time, most people I've talked to, says that they can get 5 hours out of the current iBook, which is very high for a 12" machine.

Well I can't really tell you whether to buy an iBook now (I would say no, but you want different things than I do). What I can tell you is that Warcraft 3 will run wonderfully on whatever you end up getting. So if that's what's important to you, don't let it hold you back

Thanks man, I needed that piece of information. Warcraft III is a great game, and I think I'll be more then happy to be able to put that on when ever i'm on a train or just waiting for something.

thehype31
Apr 7, 2006, 01:43 AM
If you want it, then go for it- I just bought my first apple last week- I bought a 12' ibook G4 1.33 refurbished off of apple's site for 799 plus tax- and it came in perfect condition! The OS seems so smooth compared to windows... I think for your uses you will be more than happy with your ibook:)

Vinnie_vw
Apr 7, 2006, 05:54 AM
For school-usage the iBook G4 will not disappoint! I got one myself last December, upgraded to 1 gig of ram, which is necessary, and have very little complaints about it. All apps run pretty well on it, and the only regrets I have is all these people raving about their intelMacs and now bootcamp. At the same time, if you already have a PC that doesn't matter much. It's relatively cheap, battery-life is very good, and because I can't run games on it, I consider it more productive.

viperguy
Apr 7, 2006, 07:40 AM
For school-usage the iBook G4 will not disappoint! I got one myself last December, upgraded to 1 gig of ram, which is necessary, and have very little complaints about it. All apps run pretty well on it, and the only regrets I have is all these people raving about their intelMacs and now bootcamp. At the same time, if you already have a PC that doesn't matter much. It's relatively cheap, battery-life is very good, and because I can't run games on it, I consider it more productive.

Someone up here said Warcraft 3 runs great on it, so now I'm surely confused :confused:
However, playing WC3 without a mouse but with that touchpad should be a pain :p
Hmm... 5 hours of battery is a lot of time. I wonder if the 14 inch lasts less or longer than that.
Edited: Oh, I might recall that maybe intel iBook will have iSight in it too. But that's just a personal guess

Vinnie_vw
Apr 7, 2006, 08:08 AM
Someone up here said Warcraft 3 runs great on it, so now I'm surely confused

Well not running games on it was more of a personal decision. I already have a PC, and had finished both Warcraft 3 and the expansion before I got my Mac. Games do run on it, of course, but, as I consider them a waste of time, I prefer to act like they don't :rolleyes:

j26
Apr 7, 2006, 08:33 AM
If you need to get one now, try and get a refurb PowerBook. I'm using it for study and the screen spanning (without any hack) is worth it in its' own right.

Me, I'm hanging out for a Rev B iMac. I love my PB and intend to keep it, but I want something that can do really heavy lifting. If you can wait, so much the better. You'll get a much snappier machine that will be more future proof.

DKZ
Apr 7, 2006, 09:28 AM
Someone up here said Warcraft 3 runs great on it, so now I'm surely confused :confused:
However, playing WC3 without a mouse but with that touchpad should be a pain :p
Hmm... 5 hours of battery is a lot of time. I wonder if the 14 inch lasts less or longer than that.
Edited: Oh, I might recall that maybe intel iBook will have iSight in it too. But that's just a personal guess

Ohh I'm getting a mighty mouse. But I think my mind is made up now, and I'm getting a iBook now.

DKZ
Apr 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
If you need to get one now, try and get a refurb PowerBook. I'm using it for study and the screen spanning (without any hack) is worth it in its' own right.

Me, I'm hanging out for a Rev B iMac. I love my PB and intend to keep it, but I want something that can do really heavy lifting. If you can wait, so much the better. You'll get a much snappier machine that will be more future proof.

I actually like the ibook better then the pb, and I don't believe that you can feel the smal difference there is between the ibook and pb.

dr_lha
Apr 7, 2006, 12:51 PM
I actually like the ibook better then the pb, and I don't believe that you can feel the smal difference there is between the ibook and pb.
The PB is a smaller and studier feeling machine though. I prefer it over the iBook for that reason alone.

BTW - to the top poster my advice is wait. I wouldn't buy any G4 based computer personally. Intel iBooks are bound to be out in the next 1-3 months, and they will no doubt kick the old iBook's sorry arse.

DKZ
Apr 8, 2006, 04:58 AM
The PB is a smaller and studier feeling machine though. I prefer it over the iBook for that reason alone.

BTW - to the top poster my advice is wait. I wouldn't buy any G4 based computer personally. Intel iBooks are bound to be out in the next 1-3 months, and they will no doubt kick the old iBook's sorry arse.

The size difference is hardly worth that amount of money, and I've heard just as many people say that the iBook is the studier machine.

And yes they will proberly kick ass, but i'm not looking for a kick ass machine, I want reliability. Plus I've always made a point out of not waiting for new hardware, cuz there is always something new in the horizon.

DKZ
Apr 8, 2006, 05:05 AM
Either way you go, welcome to Mac DKZ! :)

Thanks a lot, I'm very excited about it. :)