PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp Partition Error: "Files cannot be moved"

Winstonp
Apr 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
When partitioning so that I can install XP, bootcamp claims that specific files cannot be moved, making it so that I am unable to install XP.

It then orders me to ~gasp~ back my files, and reinstall OSX.

Anyone else have this error message?
I wanted a 14GB partition, and that would leave about 16 additional gigs free on the OSX partition

I am NOT reinstalling X! Anyone got any ideas?

eva01
Apr 5, 2006, 01:14 PM
If it is telling you to backup and reinstall the OS then do so. If you refuse to do it then seems like you wont be installing XP on your machine.

CanadaRAM
Apr 5, 2006, 01:15 PM
A guess only -- do you have a protected File Vault on this machine?
Perhaps some other software that is locked in position.. suspects might be serial number or activation code for an application...

Winstonp
Apr 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
A guess only -- do you have a protected File Vault on this machine?
Perhaps some other software that is locked in position.. suspects might be serial number or activation code for an application...

good question. Doom 3 might do it. Maybe Office. Maybe Photoshop.

Anyone else have this problem, with any of these programs?

bigpumbaa
Apr 5, 2006, 02:11 PM
I'm getting the exact same error... I also have Office 2004 installed... maybe that is it?

Winstonp
Apr 5, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm getting the exact same error... I also have Office 2004 installed... maybe that is it?

you try first!

Winstonp
Apr 5, 2006, 02:17 PM
you try first!

okay, okay, I just deleted office German and Office English....

re-attempting

standy by

bngbrgr
Apr 5, 2006, 02:18 PM
I'm getting this error, too!

Right now, I'm zero-ing all the free space on my HD.

I'll tell you if that does anything.

bigpumbaa
Apr 5, 2006, 02:18 PM
you try first!

Lol... I'm a recent fulltime switcher and JUST YESTERDAY I shipped off my Windows machine (sold it on eBay...) I've been doing fine with Mac OS X exclusively for about 2-3 weeks... installing Windows was just going to be a fun thing to try... handy to have. Now that it's saying I'll have to reformat, I'm fine waiting. Getting all my information from my Windows machine to my Mac was hard enough... I'm not about to go through putting everything back on this thing again with a reformat. Until I get an external HD (which was in the cards anyways... I'm running the baseline Mac Mini Core Solo... 60 gigs) I'm Mac exclusive I suppose.

So... you try first :-p

Winstonp
Apr 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
the problem is not office. I repeat NOT office.

same error.

bigpumbaa
Apr 5, 2006, 02:38 PM
the problem is not office. I repeat NOT office.

same error.

Arg... after it gave me that error I tried to do it again and the 2nd time it told me that the disk couldn't be verified and that I had to repair it. After I repaired it, I got the same error again. Looks like no bootcamp for my lil' mini. Hopefully bootcamp transforms into a virtualization program and I won't have to reboot. Either that, or I'm in the market for an external FireWire HD.

Serious
Apr 5, 2006, 02:40 PM
I got the same error.

At first, I thought it to be rights-related, so I tried the same procedure logged in as an administrator. Didn't work either.

I wanted to create a 20GB windows partition. Then I thought to myself "Well, if I create a smaller partition, he probably won't have to move so much stuff he can't move anyway."

So I tried to create a 15GB partition and - voila - it worked !

By now, it annoys me quite a bit that I jumped from 20GB to 15GB. 19GB could have done the trick already. So, to anyone trying this out, I recommend doing small 1GB steps until it works...

Hope that this helps you guys :)

lhawkins
Apr 5, 2006, 02:48 PM
Will the installer (Boot Camp) allow you to install to an entire drive, instead of a partition? I got a MiniStack with a 500GB drive for the Mac and right now the original internal drive is just sitting empty... I think I might try XP on that if its possible.

Arg... after it gave me that error I tried to do it again and the 2nd time it told me that the disk couldn't be verified and that I had to repair it. After I repaired it, I got the same error again. Looks like no bootcamp for my lil' mini. Hopefully bootcamp transforms into a virtualization program and I won't have to reboot. Either that, or I'm in the market for an external FireWire HD.

CanadaRAM
Apr 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
Apple has some rules about the size of the partition possible, it must be no larger than your current free hard disk space less 5 Gb

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq0

How is the Windows XP partition created?

Boot Camp Assistant lets you easily create a partition for Windows XP to use without erasing your Mac OS X information. Boot Camp Assistant only works with an Intel-based Mac that has one hard disk partition. Boot Camp Assistant creates a second partition on your existing startup disk for the Windows XP operating system. You can choose the size of the Windows partition when running Boot Camp Assistant Beta, but it must be at least 5 GB and leave at least 5GB of free space on the disk for the Mac OS X partition.

For example, if you have an 80 GB hard drive with 50 GB of space in use (30 GB free), your Windows XP partition can be between 5 GB and 25 GB (30 minus 5) in size.

Note: Boot Camp Assistant does not erase your existing partition or existing Mac OS X installation when it creates a new partition for Windows XP.

Important: Do not use Disk Utility or third-party disk utilities to partition the drive before using Boot Camp Assistant--these will erase the disk.

bigpumbaa
Apr 5, 2006, 02:57 PM
I got the same error.

At first, I thought it to be rights-related, so I tried the same procedure logged in as an administrator. Didn't work either.

I wanted to create a 20GB windows partition. Then I thought to myself "Well, if I create a smaller partition, he probably won't have to move so much stuff he can't move anyway."

So I tried to create a 15GB partition and - voila - it worked !

By now, it annoys me quite a bit that I jumped from 20GB to 15GB. 19GB could have done the trick already. So, to anyone trying this out, I recommend doing small 1GB steps until it works...

Hope that this helps you guys :)

I got the error when I was using the minimum 5GB for Windows XP... so that doesn't help me. Until I get a ministack or something similar... no XP for me.

CanadaRAM
Apr 5, 2006, 03:04 PM
Will the installer (Boot Camp) allow you to install to an entire drive, instead of a partition? I got a MiniStack with a 500GB drive for the Mac and right now the original internal drive is just sitting empty... I think I might try XP on that if its possible.

From the Setup Guide PDF:
"Windows XP requires its own partition on your computer’s internal startup disk."

There is no mention of whether it works on an external disk at all.

My guess is that it must be installed on your OSX boot volume, and that it *may* be restricted to a drive on the internal SATA buss.

levydesign
Apr 5, 2006, 03:13 PM
It seems from my experience with Boot Camp, that it does not support over a 10G partition at this time. 10G and under does not give this error, so if you want to use windows on a bigger partition, you will have to partition it before hand. Simply having boot camp installed seems to give you access to booting from a Windows disk in startup disk. I will keep playing with it and see what I can come up with. I did get 15 and 17 to work, have not tried 19 yet.

deathbyzen
Apr 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hey guys... im having this same problem. I have a Mac Mini core duo. I tried to do the minimum 5 gig partition and at first I got the "Cannot verify disk" error. So I used the disk utility and repaired everything. Then I got the "cannot move files" error. Deleting free space didnt do anything. Im gonna try changing the size of the partition to something bigger than 5. I will let you know how it goes.

bigpumbaa
Apr 6, 2006, 01:43 AM
I've tried to do it a couple of times. I get the error, telling me I'll have to wipe the HD, which makes my Startup Disk have errors. I fix the errors with Disk Utility, try to run BootCamp again, and get the same error. I really have no idea whats causing it. I'm going to try simply installing Windows XP on an external drive, because I don't feel like wiping my Mac's HD just to install windows one it... not when I've just gotten comfortable with the system.

slb
Apr 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
I got this error as well. I kept removing files and backing them up to an external drive to free more space, but the message kept appearing. Finally, I removed a few more meaningless little apps, then noticed my external Firewire DVD drive was turned on and connected to the iMac. Nothing was mounted, but I turned the drive off anyway and made sure none of my other external drives were mounted or turned on. Then when I ran Boot Camp, it worked. I don't know if that's what fixed my problem, but things worked for me after that.

cal6n
Apr 6, 2006, 05:24 PM
It seems from my experience with Boot Camp, that it does not support over a 10G partition at this time. 10G and under does not give this error, so if you want to use windows on a bigger partition, you will have to partition it before hand. Simply having boot camp installed seems to give you access to booting from a Windows disk in startup disk. I will keep playing with it and see what I can come up with. I did get 15 and 17 to work, have not tried 19 yet.

Uummm.. No!

I partitioned direct to 20 GB using Boot Camp. I previously had XoM running and tried to save my install but no dice. The only thing was to erase my drive, reinstall OS X, run the updates, then firmware and Boot Camp. Once XP was stable (well, as stable as it's ever going to be) I rebuilt my OS X side.

deathbyzen
Apr 6, 2006, 09:59 PM
Just a follow up... I couldnt get it to work no matter what i tried and I ended up messing up the permissions on some system critical files. So, I bit the bullet and backed up my stuff and reinstalled X. Boot Camp didnt give me any crap and now I can dual boot! Lots a trouble, but definately worth it.

ChazzHack
May 23, 2006, 11:10 AM
Changing the partition down to the default was the trick that finally worked for me too.

Koree
May 27, 2006, 05:02 PM
I'm trying to go up in my partition's size. I restored it to a single volume using bootcamp. Now im getting that error. What do i do. >< please help.

msteele999
Jun 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
In my case, the files for Parallels VM were marked unmovable.

I backed up my hard disk and deleted these files and viola!

I now have Windows XP running via boot camp

n8236
Jul 1, 2006, 05:58 AM
Tried AppleJack, Onyx, resizing partition, moving big files, erasing big files, etc and still no go. I need a fix quick, and the last thing i need is to reinstall OSX and redo all its personalized settings -_-

n8236
Jul 2, 2006, 05:24 PM
Bump. I resized the partition to 1gb less than it originally was and it worked. No idea why it does this, but I hope someone knows how to fix this.

SPG
Jul 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
Anyone come up with a better or proveable fix? Voodoo hasn't worked for me and I'm running out of chicken blood for the sacrifice.
I really don't want to reinstall everything on my MBP as there are so many programs/prefs/fonts that I can't do without and are a real PITA to get right again.

fatcat222
Jul 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
Msteele999, how did u find out which files were unmoveable, also if anyone else would know how to find out please reply! I don't have a large enough external hd to back up the whole comp. Thanks in advance.

ashuaria
Aug 21, 2006, 09:07 PM
I had the same problem.
I got Office 2004
and I got everything that matches for NOT-WORKING.
I tried 5GB and more lower, when I had 22Gigs of free space.

BUT, as soon as I got rid of VM files from Parallels, partitioning succeeded.

Hugh Macdonald
Sep 3, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'm having this problem at the moment, and it can't partition even at the minimum 5Gb limit...

I *think* this is because when I downloaded and installed the Boot Camp Assistant, I only had about 4Gb free. I then deleted loads of stuff, but this meant that, when I ran the assistant, it couldn't move itself...

I did, however, try deleting and reinstalling it when I had 20Gb free, but that didn't seem to help at all....

Anyone got any suggestions?

(Oh, I'm running on a MacBook Pro...)

SueMac
Sep 4, 2006, 06:49 AM
Hi guys

I recently bought my first ever mac (after years of swearing at my pc!) but really need to partition it as some of my software isn't available on mac. I seem to be having the same problems as you. I managed to partition it with a 5gb limit but decided that wasn't going to be big enough and using bootcamp set it back to a single drive.
I am now getting the error about repairing the start up disk but despite doing a disk repair it just won't work.

Is there anything else I should try before re-installing everything? Thanks

shrhaider
Sep 4, 2006, 02:31 PM
I had the same problem.
I got Office 2004

I suspect this is also my problem but how did you find these files? (newbie question, i'm a switcher). I installed Parallels but decided to use Boot Camp instead so I removed Parallels without ever really using it. What's the deal?

scienceguy
Sep 7, 2006, 05:45 PM
I suspect this is also my problem but how did you find these files? (newbie question, i'm a switcher). I installed Parallels but decided to use Boot Camp instead so I removed Parallels without ever really using it. What's the deal?

They're in your Home Folder's Library, in a folder called Parallels. If you've uninstalled Parallels and don't need anything on your Parallels' hard disk, then you should be able to delete the whole folder.

me_94501
Sep 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
I got this error today. I tried creating a 15 GB partition, no go. I then changed it to a 10 GB partition. It still wasn't happy. I deleted the .iso of Vista RC 1 (I hd it stored on my iPod as well) and restarted. It then worked with a 10 GB partition (I didn't bother trying 15 GB). I don't know what fixed it, whether it was trashing the large file, restarting, opting for the 10 GB partition, or some combination of each. :confused:

jbb
Nov 1, 2006, 02:30 AM
I have loads of apps installed (only 22GB free out of 80GB), so I was pretty pessimistic when Partioning started failing, even at 5GB...
But it turned out it WAS Parallels, just as a few of us above!

Moving the HDD files to my USB2.0 external drive did the trick for me.
Partitioning (5GB) worked at last, and installed XP fine!

...then I brought the HDD files back, Parallels seems happy with it too. Not sure why they are unmoveable by the partioning app, as I was able to move them with a simple drap&drop, without even a warning requester showing up.

Oh well... Sorted! :)

n8236
Nov 1, 2006, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure if the new Bootcamp still suffers from this issue, but I've tried using ProTech Tools or whatever it's called to defrag. But it requires that I do the eDrive backup b4 I can defrag (dumb) and I haven't gotten around to it.

Apparently, reinstalling BootCamp w/ 1 or 2gb less than the initial setup will work, at least for me it did.

JackSlater
Jan 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Alright peoples, here's my solution to this problem:

I had Parallels installed, my HD was almost full (2GB left) and I wanted to install XP via BootCamp. So, I deleted large files, and uninstalled Parallels. That gave me 18GB free space, but BootCamp still wouldn't work: 'some files can't be moved'...

After trying everything here I thought to myself: What does BootCamp try to do? Yes, it tries to create 5GB (or whatever size you choose for your XP partition) of CONSECUTIVE FREE disk space. Since BC is running from within OS X: if you have programs running that have been installed recently, they're probably stored at the 'end' of your HD, therefore BC tries to move 'em to the 'beginning' of the HD, which won't work if the files are in use. Hence: some files can't be moved.

Solution:
Get iDefrag, and take a look at your HD. In my case, a lot of scattered data was sitting around all over my HD, so it was impossible for BootCamp to create a 5GB partition at the end of the HD, although I had a total of 25GB free space (I deleted whatever I could). Since iDefrag won't work from within OS X (it can't move system files that are in use) you have to get Coriolis CDmaker (Comes with iDefrag if you buy it). This will let you burn a bootable CD with iDefrag on it. Restart from CD, let iDefrag run a Full Defrag (took 8 hours on my 80GB drive) and then you have a beautifully defragmented HD with all the free space at the end of the drive. This will allow BootCamp to set up the new partition in just seconds....

:D

And I'm not gonna tell you where to get the programs, use your imagination ;)

MacDonaldsd
Jan 20, 2007, 02:10 PM
Its usually down to single large files, such as a parallels install or a large movie file etc

Donz0r
Feb 16, 2007, 04:21 PM
Any updates on this topic? None of this is working for me! I had parallels on but I've deleted everything associated with it, I've moved basically everything except for my "Library" and Applications folders to m external HD, nothing's working!

compuwar
Feb 16, 2007, 05:25 PM
Anyone come up with a better or proveable fix? Voodoo hasn't worked for me and I'm running out of chicken blood for the sacrifice.
I really don't want to reinstall everything on my MBP as there are so many programs/prefs/fonts that I can't do without and are a real PITA to get right again.

Maybe iDisk will move them, might be worth asking them.

stanvv
Mar 6, 2007, 02:39 PM
Had bootcamp running slick and fine on my Powerbook for some weeks, than decided to throw it of (don't ask why..).
After some months of massive HD abuse (movie editing, DVD ripping and backing up, installing (and deleting) hundreds of apps.. ) I decided i wanted bootcamp back again.. Then the error showed up here as well.. :eek:

THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR ME ,WAS TO FOLLOW JACKSLATER'S SOLUTION

(tnx mate!, was on the edge of backing up everything and doing a complete format en reinstall.. the bootdisc saved my live)

I had Parallels installed, my HD was almost full (2GB left) and I wanted to install XP via BootCamp. So, I deleted large files, and uninstalled Parallels. That gave me 18GB free space, but BootCamp still wouldn't work: 'some files can't be moved'...

Solution:
Get iDefrag, and take a look at your HD. In my case, a lot of scattered data was sitting around all over my HD, so it was impossible for BootCamp to create a 5GB partition at the end of the HD, although I had a total of 25GB free space (I deleted whatever I could). Since iDefrag won't work from within OS X (it can't move system files that are in use) you have to get Coriolis CDmaker (Comes with iDefrag if you buy it). This will let you burn a bootable CD with iDefrag on it. Restart from CD, let iDefrag run a Full Defrag (took 8 hours on my 80GB drive) and then you have a beautifully defragmented HD with all the free space at the end of the drive. This will allow BootCamp to set up the new partition in just seconds....

XP Defector
Mar 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
Try these:-

1) Remove those VM Parallels files.

2) Defrag your Mac, I know programs exist that do this.

3) Backup and Re-install OSX.

I tried 1, never tried 2 and eventually 3 worked. I think the problem is that there exist sectors on the HD that cannot be moved, defrag rearranges everything leaving the freespace as a unified bloc, rather than having bits of files all over the place. As for people being partitioning sucessfully with 1GB partitions, I can only presume that they just happened to be lucky enough to partition space that did not contain any unmovable files. In any case, a clean install of OSX is not that painful and will take a day to get things up and running and back to normality. I quite like a spring clean now and then, but then again I used Windows for ten years so I'm kinda used to it.

sunfast
Mar 9, 2007, 03:59 AM
I've been getting the same error and I'm faintly pissed off by it all. I understand that Boot Camp is a public beta and provides no guarantees and I'm cool with that.

What annoys me is that it is clearly the fragmented state of my drive that is causing the problem. When I switched I swallowed all the BS that "macs don't need defragging" (probably my first question as a switching newbie), yet here I am with a fragmented drive that is preventing me from doing something I want to - and there is no system tool to defrag my drive. iDefrag looks good but it's nearly £20. Have I finally found somewhere that windows is superior to OS X?

skonnard
Mar 9, 2007, 11:00 AM
The only deterministic solution to this problem is to buy some defragmentation software like iDefrag and compact the drive. Once you do, the problem with go away. See my full post on the subject:
http://pluralsight.com/blogs/aaron/archive/2007/03/09/46388.aspx

Over Achiever
Mar 10, 2007, 11:51 AM
I just wanted to say I got this error which scared me! But my fix is easy and I did not have to reinstall OS X.

When it fails to create the partition, you still have the one partition disk. Insert your OS X CD and boot from it by holding down C at reboot. Run disk utility and repair disk. That did the trick for me, when it fixed, I went back to Mac OS X, cleared my trash and any other temp files just to be safe, reran boot camp assistant and the partition worked just fine.

The error it found when fixing the disk (fix the disk, not permissions), was that one of the cataloging files (I can't remember at the moment, I think it had to do something with free space) was off by a few bytes.

I dunno why no one tried to repair the disk? :confused:

sunfast
Mar 11, 2007, 11:21 AM
I dunno why no one tried to repair the disk? :confused:

Actually, the first error I got when trying BootCamp told me to repair the disk. I had to boot from the install disk so I could repair it. I did this and then started getting the error this thread is dedicated too.

I hope this is solved by the time leopard gets here.

fansub
Apr 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
yeah looks like the problem is not in things that are being used but by unused space, i recently moved alot of stuff from my harddrive leaving 60 gig free, so i should have plenty of space to move stuff around for the partition, but because ive torn my harddrive up pretty bad with all this re arranging there are files in the way. Seems the best way to do it is to get a defrag program and run that (iDefrag)

m1ss1ontomars
Apr 2, 2007, 10:22 PM
Look you guys, it's not very complicated.

If you have files near the end of a volume, you can't shrink the volume without leaving those files outside the volume. Diskutil, which resizes the volume, won't move those files closer to the beginning, no matter how much space you have left in your drive. If you guys want a picture, I'll make one later.

EDIT: Ok here's a picture that should clear things up. Also, it reveals why a volume doesn't actually HAVE to be very fragmented; just one misplaced file will do. Note how both drives have the same amount of space free, but one can have a large Boot Camp partition while the other can barely have any.

fansub
Apr 3, 2007, 09:54 PM
pretty much, easy fix. i just got iDefrag, used that to burn a bootable cd and then booted of that and defraged my hardrive. Problem solved.
p.s nice drawing :)

m1ss1ontomars
Apr 3, 2007, 10:01 PM

What, you can't tell them to go to coriolis-systems.com? :D

p.s nice drawing :)

I know; I'm so proud of myself ;) I used inkscape, but i really want is an OS X replacement for mspaint.

monty77
Apr 4, 2007, 06:10 AM
Nice iDefrag tip .. I tried it but didn't do the boot CD defrag so I still got the error.

I ended up using the suggestion from Bootcamp. I backed up my boot drive using super duper, then erased the HD and restored the backed up image to it again. This has the same affect as a defrag but perhaps a tiny bit quicker, depending on your HDD size .. this process took ~5 hours for 80Gb of data.

Nasty error though .. I thought HFS didn't suffer from fragmentation?

Cheers,
Adam

MacDream
Apr 18, 2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks a lot msteele999 that worked for me!:)

Parallels was the problem.
No extra work needed!

n8236
Apr 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
iDefrag ftw.

e12a
Apr 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
+1 for idefrag

you have to do it off the bootable DVD or from an outside source for it to work.

JLatte
May 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but I had a huge problem with this exact error message and looked all over the internet for a solution:

iDefrag works magically, took about 6 - 8 hours overnight and it partitioned like a charm. Hopefully Apple notes the error when the final version releases or includes a form of defrag for users such as myself and others (I had the error from originally partitioning 15 gigs, and I removed the partition via Boot Camp and tried to make a new partition of 40 gigs).

For future users, hopefully you know what size you want before formatting, don't experiment with a small partition with the hopes of easily upgrading to a larger partition (unless you get lucky).

Hope this helps to anyone else out there in cyberland that's frustrated with searching for a solution that doesn't involve backing up the home folder and reinstalling OS X.

jford
Jun 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
I found this thread because of problems installing Windows XP with Boot Camp (1.3b)... I also was getting the error about the Boot Camp Installer not being able to move files, and in my case couldn't create a partition with any size from 12 GB down to 5 GB (with 18 GB free).

I found the advice here useful, and I'm posting to pass along an additional tip that helped me. I followed the suggestion of removing CrossOver, but this didn't help; I then installed and used ShowVolumeFragmentation, which showed how highly fragmented my 200 GB disk had become.

Here are the two "tricks" I found useful:

1. Was able to significantly reduce fragmentation by copying big batches of files (though I wouldn't expect this to work on its own, as it must be what the BCI is trying to do.)

2. I installed OnyX and used it to delete the Spotlight index (under "Maintenance" tab, "Reset" subtab). This was probably the key as SVF had reported Spotlight index files with hundreds of fragments.

Following these steps, I able to create the 12 GB partition I wanted.

benmk
Jun 13, 2007, 08:08 AM
I came to this page with the same error constantly hindering me from installing windows on my MBP. I used the advice from the previous posts and got iDefrag and CDMaker and all that and proceeded to defrag my hard drive. iDefrag seemed to be working until it hit a snag and sent me another loving error message saying that iMovieHD was corrupt and could not be moved. I never even had used iMovie at all so I booted up normally and tried to copy iMovie and all its components into my external hard drive to see if this would remedy the problem. Copying iMovie failed saying the device could not be read to, meaning that somehow my file got corrupted. I also got that same error when trying to copy some music.

Therefore I located all of the files that would not allow themselves to be copied (by trying to copy them and having it fail), deleted them all, and then attempted to partition 20GB. It worked perfectly, so make sure your hard drive doesn't have any corrupt files that can't be copied.

Macbook Pro 1st Generation, 80GB hard drive (about 43GB free)
Successfully made partition of 20GB for Vista

halfasleep
Jun 17, 2007, 04:45 AM
After following much of the advise in this thread, Boot Camp still refused to work. Just as I was on the verge of a reinstall I found this set of steps had worked for me:
1) Get as many files off the disk as possible (I put all the things that didn't come with my MBP on a firewire disk, like Apps and home folders)
2) Erase free space (I did this from the install CD, as I had the idea JUST before a reinstall)

Now Boot Camp will make a 15GB partition where it wouldn't even make 5 before.

Cheers for advise ppl

EmptyG
Jun 24, 2007, 12:18 PM
Another vote for iDefrag here :) Used it last night to defrag my MBP (specs in signature). Only took about 4 hours total. Afterwards, notonly was the MBP fast as I have ever seen it, but the BootCamp partitioning took no time and completed with no errors. Bootcamp installed just fine!

Woohooo! Thanks to all the posters for their help :)

vandebrooke
Jul 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hello,

So I was having the same issues, not being able to partition my drive. I read through every single instance on this Forumn and they were all very helpful.

The fact that you removed Parallels and it worked for you? Well, you just got lucky, that really isn't the answer as I removed all instances of mine and that didn't help.

The only answer is to download iDefrag, or buy it, and create the DVD boot rom. Reboot your computer, hold down the C key, and let iDefrag do it's work. Let it defrag your whole machine, and reboot int OS X and partition your drive with Boot Camp.

Worked like a charm!

iDefrag rocks, really it does. I think any mac book pro user should have a copy and defrag your drive every few months.

regards,
chris vandebrooke

Yateball
Jul 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys! iDefrag worked like a charm!

I actually didn't even have to burn and boot from a cd, I just ran the quick (online) mode and it solved the error.

Thanks again.

Ayu
Aug 8, 2007, 02:12 AM
In my case the quick (on-line) method didn't work out, I still couldn't make any partition bigger than 10Gb (wanted it to be 20Gb).

Using CDMaker + iDefrag and a full defrag sesion of 5 hours, it did work out - and after a reboot I could finally make that darn 20Gb partition and install Vista without a glitch.

I'm a bit angry at Apple by simply saying 'reinstall your system' to actually hide the real problem - fragmentation. Reinstalling everything is for sure a problem but they don't really care if the users have to go through all that hassle to install Windows.

On top of all this issues, I thought HFS+ did take care of fragmentation on its own? Or is that just an unconfirmed rumor?

colinp123
Sep 13, 2007, 03:39 AM
Another vote for iDefrag here!

The quick (on-line) method didn't work out so I needed to create a boot DVD (wouldn't fit on a CDR) in order to run the full defrag session. Took about 5-6 hours for me too.

After that was complete..... my files were lined up..... drive was defragged...... nice consecutive white space showed up on screen and I was ready to rumble. Quick boot back into OS X and boot camp worked like a charm.

hajime
Jan 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
I am having the same problem. I visited Coriolis Systems website but the company states that the current version of iDefrag is not compatible with Leopard. What other suggestions do you have? I have been using vmware but I want to install Windows under Bootcamp. Thanks.

m1ss1ontomars
Jan 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
I am having the same problem. I visited Coriolis Systems website but the company states that the current version of iDefrag is not compatible with Leopard. What other suggestions do you have? I have been using vmware but I want to install Windows under Bootcamp. Thanks.

You'll have to find another defragmentation program compatible with Leopard, then. Drive Genius is a program; not sure if it's as good as iDefrag and dunno about Leopard compatibility. Just search the web for HFS+ defragmentation programs; I'm sure you'll find some.

If you have a backup of your harddrive (i.e. using Time Machine, SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, or whatever) you can do this:

1. Make a new backup, to match the most recent version of your harddrive.
2. Start up from your backup if you're using SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, or any program that creates an exact duplicate of your original drive. Startup from your Mac OS X Install DVD if you're using Time Machine. I can't help you if you're using a backup program that stores things in weird ways that I'm not familiar with.
3. Restore your hard drive as though your drive randomly got deleted or you're installing a new hard drive. Everything will be copied to the beginning of the drive, so you won't have to move anything around when you repartition.

flamenkilla
Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
thanks for the tip Jackslater !! I lost so much time with Apple bootcamp FAQ, formatting and restoring my laptop... before I finally looked on google for this problem and found this forum.
I bought IDefrag, ran Compact Defrag and I was able to partitionate my disk after that! yeah! Why bootcamp doesn't simply say the real problem?? :confused:

m1ss1ontomars
Jan 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
thanks for the tip Jackslater !! I lost so much time with Apple bootcamp FAQ, formatting and restoring my laptop... before I finally looked on google for this problem and found this forum.
I bought IDefrag, ran Compact Defrag and I was able to partitionate my disk after that! yeah! Why bootcamp doesn't simply say the real problem?? :confused:

I fail to see why you formatted/restored your laptop, and THEN followed the solution in this forum; you should only have to do one or the other...

Boot Camp doesn't say the real problem because for some users it's too hard to understand. I know several people who still can't understand that their MacBooks can run Windows even after I've demonstrated doing so on my own MacBook. Sigh.

Komiksulo
Jan 28, 2008, 09:06 PM
I had the defrag error when partitioning as well. I backed everything up to an external drive, reinstalled Leopard and created a new user account, then used BootCamp Assistant to create the Windows partition. Only after the Windows partition was in place did I use Migration Assistant to restore all my old programs and settings and data. Then I installed XP SP2 on the new partition, installed the Apple drivers, and after booting the partition into Fusion, installed VMWare Tools. And away I went.

Years of building my own Windows computers trained me for this. ;)

I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't have a defrag utility, even if it's hidden under some advanced setting somewhere. I'll have to get one.

flamenkilla
Jan 29, 2008, 12:29 AM
I fail to see why you formatted/restored your laptop, and THEN followed the solution in this forum; you should only have to do one or the other...

Boot Camp doesn't say the real problem because for some users it's too hard to understand. I know several people who still can't understand that their MacBooks can run Windows even after I've demonstrated doing so on my own MacBook. Sigh.

Basically, I had a partition before on my macbook. Then deleted it. Later on, when I wanted one again with bootcamp, it gave me the error message we're talking about. "cannot move files, so format and restore..." so I did what it said... But after restoring and running bootcamp, got the same error message again and again (tried different size). I didn't know what to do, I was stuck. So, hopefully i found this forum! Idefrag was the solution for me. I don't have much space on my disk, that's probably why it was too much fragmentized... I brought all my files at the beginning of the drive, so I had enought consecutive space to partitionate it. Hope it helps to understand with the whole story...

rikishah
Jan 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm running idefrag off of another mac right now, and its almost done, but I still see a few red spots along the hard drive bar on the bottom of idefrag. Should I be concerned that it still wont work? I have a feeling it is not going to and I'll have to re-install Leopard...:( lol

rikishah
Jan 30, 2008, 08:05 PM
GO IDEFRAG! Worked like a Charm!!

ElCambo
Jan 31, 2008, 01:16 AM
How do i make a bootable dvd with idefrag?
Please help, im new to this.

ElCambo
Feb 4, 2008, 03:05 AM
Has anyone figured out how to fix this bootcamp issue on leopard?? I cant use idefrag because it wont work on leopard. I need to get XP working but bootcamp wont let me do this! Agghhh so frustrating, im not going to do what it says and wipe my computer. Is there any alternative to idefrag for leopard?!

flamenkilla
Feb 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
How do i make a bootable dvd with idefrag?
Please help, im new to this.

I didn't know before either, but when I downloaded the file online, it explains it. They have the program and you just have to copy it on a cd or dvd
Hope this helps!

flamenkilla
Feb 5, 2008, 03:21 PM
Has anyone figured out how to fix this bootcamp issue on leopard?? I cant use idefrag because it wont work on leopard. I need to get XP working but bootcamp wont let me do this! Agghhh so frustrating, im not going to do what it says and wipe my computer. Is there any alternative to idefrag for leopard?!

Hi! I used Idefrag with Leopard and it worked fine. Here is the message I got from the Idefrag company (Coriolis) about that issue :

"Many of you will be aware that we had been recommending not running iDefrag or iPartition from Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) due to a bug in Leopard that was causing disks attached to a controller supported by Apple's AHCI driver to seemingly freeze-up during operation.
After much investigation, Apple has supplied us with a workaround for the
problem. We have, therefore, release iPartition version 3.0.1 and iDefrag
version 1.6.5, which contain the workaround and as a result they should be
safe to run on Leopard. The workaround may reduce performance on affected systems, however we anticipate that a bug fix for the AHCI driver will be made available as part of a future Leopard update. Please remember that Apple does not speculate on future releases of its products, so, like you,
we have no information to indicate when this might happen."

Hope this helps!

macdaddy121
Feb 6, 2008, 11:37 PM
This just happened to me and it is insanely irritating....If I back everything up using an external HD and Time Machine and then format and reinstall Leopard everything should be okay, right??

2Shae
Feb 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm really getting sick of this problem and Apple needs to find a way to fix this.
The weird thing about it is that it doesn't always happen, more like 8 out of 10 times.
Before I managed to get it working with the use of Disk Warrior and the Disk Utility (from the OS X install disc), but now it doesn't work at all :mad:

I don't have an external HDD and I'm not gonna use 20 dvds to back everything up and reinstall.

Now I need to buy an external HDD just for this...it's ridiculous.

tanvach
Feb 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
I had the same problem when installing windows through boot camp the second time (i.e. installed windows, delete the partition and restore the free space, trying to install windows again). When trying to allocate 32GB space it failed with the error.

If fixed it by:

1) boot into single user mode.
2) run fsck -fy
3) type reboot and press enter
4) try boot camp again.

Seemed to work for me twice now.

tweekskratch
May 4, 2008, 08:33 PM
Nice iDefrag tip .. I tried it but didn't do the boot CD defrag so I still got the error.

I ended up using the suggestion from Bootcamp. I backed up my boot drive using super duper, then erased the HD and restored the backed up image to it again. This has the same affect as a defrag but perhaps a tiny bit quicker, depending on your HDD size .. this process took ~5 hours for 80Gb of data.

Nasty error though .. I thought HFS didn't suffer from fragmentation?

Cheers,
Adam

This is exactly what I am doing right now. I am running my comp. off my external. I hope it works for me as well. For those who can't erase, or don't have a large enough External, I would def. try de-fragging. Less risky.

idonotliketostu
May 7, 2008, 09:50 AM
Here is an easy solution for:
1. not able to move file and cannot partition
2. you get any other error message when trying to partition

put in your mac os x install disc and boot from it
go into disk utility
verify it, repair if needed and repair the permissions to be safe

then use disk utility to partition the amount you what
(somehow the disk utility does a different thus better job at partitioning than bootcamp)

after the volumn is partitioned to the way you like it,
(make sure you actually see the partition under the volumn in the left column, it doesn't matter if the partition doesn't work)
resize the volumn back into one piece and apply it
(all this step does is to ensure that the area you partitioned is ready to be partitioned by the methods that boot camp use)

then proceed with boot camp assistances

hecteuro
May 23, 2008, 05:29 PM
Okay, so the real problem is just finding continuous space to add the partition too, which will probably end up being at the end of the disk. So what I did is move most of my larger files off my computer, then download the demo version of iDefrag, with this you can see where files are on your drive and which are the most fragmented. The file that I found was causing the problem was the sleepimage file, which is used on newer Macs to hold the contents of the RAM when the computer goes to sleep to prevent data loss in case of power failure. This file is generally written towards the end of the disk and is as big as the amount of RAM ou have (4gb for me). You can delete this file and it'll free up a good portion of the end of your disk and will hopefully solve this problem for you as it did for me.

Just open the terminal and type sudo rm /private/vars/vm/sleepimage

Then open up Boot Camp and create the partition; the sleepimage file will be recreated automatically by OS X the next time you boot or go to sleep.

StuBeck
Jul 8, 2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips, this is retarded that its still an issue, and Apple doesn't at least admit what the problem is or offer a work around. Hopefully one of them works.

Edit: None so far, going to try iDefrag demo as the last resort.

EDIT 2: For the record, for a 55 gig partition, 180 gigs of "free space" was required before enough was actually available. Finally got it done though.

m1ss1ontomars
Jul 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips, this is retarded that its still an issue, ...

For the last time, this problem is inherent in ALL file systems on ALL computers (except for true RAIDs). Thus this problem is not Apple's fault. It is not Microsoft's fault. It is not Intel's fault. It is the fault of the computer scientists or computer engineers (whatever they wish to be called) who invented a method for quickly storing data on magnetic disks. What they invented leads to problems with files being in places that perhaps you'd prefer them not to be, but it significantly increases performance. This was fine in the days before people liked to partition things. However, people like to install Windows on their Macs now, which means partitioning is needed.

Apple won't give a better solution that reformat because you should have all your data backed up anyway. If you're using Boot Camp, that means you have Leopard. That means you have Time Machine. That means you can make backups whenever you damn well please, and there's no excuse for you not to. Besides, telling people to backup and reformat is much simpler than going through long explanations of what the problem is, which you could find out for yourself if you were really that interested. If you were that interested, you would also find out how to use iDefrag or Disk Genius to defragment your disk, so Apple doesn't have to tell you anyway.

So there. Other than the inventors, you only have yourself to blame for not installing Windows earlier, before files got put into the place where you wanted Windows.

Deadeye*
Jul 13, 2008, 05:52 AM
whell i have Coriolis CDMaker and iDefrag 1.6.6. can any one help me on how to craete a boot cd? i tried to make a boot cd using CDMaker but no luck :( my mac just not start from CD. This is what i do:

1. Start CDMaker. Created a temple of mac files.
2. Then inserter a blank CD to burn the temple files whit idisk.app
3. Restarting mac. Affter mac sound i hold C button to start from CD
4. CD won't start it boots to mac hdd :(

m1ss1ontomars
Jul 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
whell i have Coriolis CDMaker and iDefrag 1.6.6. can any one help me on how to craete a boot cd? i tried to make a boot cd using CDMaker but no luck :( my mac just not start from CD. This is what i do:

1. Start CDMaker. Created a temple of mac files.
2. Then inserter a blank CD to burn the temple files whit idisk.app
3. Restarting mac. Affter mac sound i hold C button to start from CD
4. CD won't start it boots to mac hdd :(

You need to hold down C before the mac sound. You can also try holding down option; if you don't get a menu asking you what device you want to boot from, you're holding down option too late. If you get a menu but the CD doesn't show up, that means Mac OS X doesn't detect it as bootable.

One last thing you can try is using the Startup Disk preference pane to set the boot device.

Deadeye*
Jul 14, 2008, 01:39 AM
i tried those, holding option key it shows the disk but when i boot on it it just boots mac hdd :( maybe i instaled the software badly? can any one post a guide on how to settup a bootable cd?

mariusvw
Oct 7, 2008, 05:01 AM
A possible solution can be clearing the font-caches...

I have been struggling with this problem for 2 weeks, until I understood that files are locked when Mac OS X is started...

You can download a handy tool here called MainMenu:
http://www.santasw.com/

Clear the font cache with that program and retry... Helped me on 2 mac's so far :)

samuelsner
Oct 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
Make sure that all 'Sharing' options are turned off. I had no luck with anything up until this point. I did this, rebooted and it's now partitioning a 10GB Windows section with 14GB free for Mac OSX.

$1()()0N$
Nov 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
Make sure that all 'Sharing' options are turned off. I had no luck with anything up until this point. I did this, rebooted and it's now partitioning a 10GB Windows section with 14GB free for Mac OSX.

Great Fix :D

Worked perfectly after turning off the sharing options, formatted 32GB partition no problem!

Cheers Mate.

tamasvarga67
Dec 2, 2008, 01:01 AM

OMG it was so simple... :-) I just wasted some time I should have started to read this thread from the end. I didn't have to do anything else just turn off the all the sharing options and no more "Files cannot be moved" error! Thanks :D :D

NoBob
Dec 19, 2008, 11:33 AM
I got the could not partition because files cannot be moved error, but not heard about this fix, but it worked for me:

Install iDefrag, back up with SuperDuper onto external HD or partition, then reboot from SuperDuper clone, launch iDefrag and do 'full defrag' of Macintosh HD.

After that you'll have some extra HD free space and you can use Boot Camp to create your windows partition.

Turning off sharing, quitting all apps, using iDefrag in online mode - none worked for me.

SuperDuper + iDefrag (full defrag) did!

milamber
Dec 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
Just like to add my 2 cents

I have unibody late 08 MBP and the current iDefrag CDMaker couldn't make a bootable disc for me. So the two options:
1. Create new OSX onto external HDD and run iDefrag from there
2. As above use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and then run iDefrag

Current CDMaker does NOT make bootable discs for unibody late 08 MBP

bootScout
Jan 6, 2009, 09:59 AM
my problem same as all u off. please any solvings?? please help! no can install osX new...tried all, even books 2.1 (usually all probs solves like this) :eek::eek:

maybe works like new with vista? anyone try using vista? can work maybe? or is version new osX bootCamp? also tried partition 5gb maybe smaler? is to big, could be? anybody try? :apple::mad::apple:

me not like a apples, apple smelly like bad egg with bad sock smell...my go back to unix!!!!! this very horrible, and not even look good...:mad::mad::mad:

MacWish
Jan 13, 2009, 05:39 PM
I too came into this problem, and solved it by following these instructions:

http://rubensblogg.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/how-to-fix-boot-camp-after-installing-fusion-or-parallels/

ro152
Jan 14, 2009, 05:42 AM

I tried to partition on 8G but it wouldnt work still gave me the same problem. Can you help me please

WiiMoat
Jan 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
Okay, so I think I have the simplest solution yet.

I restarted my computer.

However, after that, I also decided to eject the Windows 7 install disc.

I'd recommend that anyone try this first, as it seems that a lot of solutions that people have found are specific to them, and don't always apply to everybody.

Thanks!

odoyle81
Mar 1, 2009, 01:23 AM
+1 on simply rebooting... before you try ifrag and all the other suggestions above, see if rebooting releases whatever locked files boot camp assistant can't move.

gwm8923
Mar 21, 2009, 12:58 AM
I have what I feel is somewhat a related problem. I had deleted my old partition with vista, however using disk utility instead of boot camp (mistake there.) So i have just my original volume, with all this empty space its not recognizing. So I go and expand it in the partition settings. I hit apply and it gives me an error saying I need to repair or verify the volume. This is somewhat frustrating because I have about 40 gigs of space just not being used. Any ideas why it wont let me add the 40 gigs on to my original mac volume?

odoyle81
Mar 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
did you try to go into boot camp anyways and reset it? or does boot camp not recognize that there used to be another partition?

gwm8923
Mar 22, 2009, 08:03 AM
boot camp doesnt recognize that there are 40 gigs of space available. It just reads my main volume and sees there is just 11 gigs. So i dont think i can do anything with boot camp.

winninganthem
Mar 24, 2009, 03:29 AM
Okay, so I think I have the simplest solution yet.

I restarted my computer.

However, after that, I also decided to eject the Windows 7 install disc.

I'd recommend that anyone try this first, as it seems that a lot of solutions that people have found are specific to them, and don't always apply to everybody.

Thanks!
+1

Thanks for posting, simply rebooting solved it for me.

usrrr
Apr 26, 2009, 04:40 PM
Successfully solved this issue by cloning my hard drive to an external, boot to external drive, and use iDefrag on my main hard drive from there.

runebinder
May 5, 2009, 04:38 PM
Been having the same issue myself today. Got my MBP last week but was waiting for Win 7 RC before using boot camp.

Manage to fix it by deleting items from my Downloads and Docs, including the iso file for the RC and on some of the advise from this thread, changed the target Windows partition size from 90 to 85GB, seems to have done the trick as Boot Camp is now partitioning my HDD as I type :D

Edit: Spoke too soon, that blasted error message came up just as the progress bar was getting to the end, arghhhh!

Bobbybray
Jun 7, 2009, 01:42 AM
Looks like everyone seems to have had their own fix to this issue, but in case it helps anyone, here's mine:

1. Erased free space via disk utility
2. Repaired permissions, ran maintenance scripts, rebuilt prebindings, and cleaned system log archives all via Leopard Cache Cleaner, a free maintenance app.

After a restart, I was able to partition my HD via boot camp utility. Both my first (failed) attempt and my second successful attempt were both for 19gb of partitioned space for windows.

markbandte
Jun 8, 2009, 04:30 AM
So, I didn't want to go through the whole defragging rigmarole, and I also found a site that said it is unnecessary, as every time mac installs updates, it optimizes the system and reorganizes the files, which although it isn't exactly defragging, is almost as good. My problem was that even though I had 60gb free, I couldn't even create a 5gb partition... This website told me that if there is a large video file recently added, the partition can't figure out how to move it. So I ransferred the file to an external drive, deleted the copy on my hard drive and voila! The whole thing worked. Before that, I had verified and repaired disk permissions, erased free space, freed up about 40 gb of hard drive space, turned off all sharing and restarted the system...none of which worked. Hope this can help someone!

northy124
Jun 13, 2009, 08:11 AM
So glad I found this as when I asked what to do people said just reinstall :(

I can't seem to make a bootable disk though :( (I didn't get it through usual means ;))

Yossarian27
Jul 31, 2009, 03:16 AM
Alright peoples, here's my solution to this problem...

Alright smarty pants, I couldn't get Coriolis to burn me a working CD, so I put iDefrag on my other mac and formatted it in target disk mode.

Thanks very much for the help. You are a modern day genius, a gentleman, and a scholar.

Sam

raph1191
Aug 8, 2009, 10:22 AM
Try this and see if this will work without defragmenting your HD OR cloning the HD.

Start up in Safe Boot and use Boot Camp in Safe Boot.

Before i couldn't create a partition on normal boot, even though i have 126GB free. I started out with 50GB and it didnt work, tried 40GB, 30Gb, 20Gb, 10Gb, and 5GB didn't even work. I restarted my computer and started up as "safe boot" and it worked. It worked for me but i'm not too sure that it will also work for you. Please try this simple solution and tell e if this works for you.

If you don't know how to start up n safe boot, you turn on the computer and when you hear the intro sound, you hold shift until the apple logo appears (you'll know that it will start up in safe boot by the amount of time it takes to actually load up.

alex-dlc
Aug 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
please help me, ive gotten this error all day. i erased the font cache, restarted, ... i dont know what i have to do. it says the mac partition has to be journaled? could this problem be because i have an idisk? do i have to clear the empty space? i dont get that. please help guys

aflick86
Aug 25, 2009, 11:03 AM
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM:

bootcamp refuses to move the files once you partition and then undo and try to redo another partition.

the only way i have found to fix this problem is to boot your mac with the OS X installation cd. then go to the utilities at the top menu bar and select Disk Utility then the tab Partition. Change the size of your mac hd (smaller) to the desired free space you want to be freed up and select apply. Add another partition by clicking the plus sign at the lower left and call it whatever you like.

Reboot and remove the disk and go to your Utilities and select Disk Utilities. Remove the new Partition you have just created and expand your mac had back to full length. Click Apply

This way of partitioning the drive is able to move the files which Bootcamp assistant is not. Now you can open bootcamp again and select the same size for windows as you freed up for the "other" partition.

Problem solved

LiquidThunderLT
Aug 31, 2009, 05:20 PM
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM:

bootcamp refuses to move the files once you partition and then undo and try to redo another partition.

the only way i have found to fix this problem is to boot your mac with the OS X installation cd. then go to the utilities at the top menu bar and select Disk Utility then the tab Partition. Change the size of your mac hd (smaller) to the desired free space you want to be freed up and select apply. Add another partition by clicking the plus sign at the lower left and call it whatever you like.

Reboot and remove the disk and go to your Utilities and select Disk Utilities. Remove the new Partition you have just created and expand your mac had back to full length. Click Apply

This way of partitioning the drive is able to move the files which Bootcamp assistant is not. Now you can open bootcamp again and select the same size for windows as you freed up for the "other" partition.

Problem solved

This did not solve my problem. I get essentially the same error when partitioning via disk utility running off the Snow Leopard installation DVD. It spends several minutes verifying the disk and then when it moves to the 'shrinking disk' stage it returns the error very quickly.

I had this problem several months (closer to a year) ago and I ended up having to run some sort of bootlegged defrag software that was made to be booted via the optical drive. It was a massive pain and I have no idea what it was called or what I did with the bootable disk, but it literally rewrote all the data on my HDD sequentially and then randomized the free space again sequentially. the whole process took ~9 hours but it did in fact work. I would really love to not have to do this again, but I need Windows for my C++ class so alas I will do what I must.

This would have been a greeeeeeeeat 'little thing' for Snow Leopard to have fixed :(

cutcopypaste
Oct 4, 2009, 12:13 AM
agreed it'd be nice to have a fix something that seems to have such a high likelihood of occuring. or at least more info about what exactly is causing the problem.

i reformatted an external i had to hfs+ to make it into a time machine... now should I boot into my install cd, format the harddrive and then restore from the time machine? will that (theoretically) make everything hunky dory or would it be a better idea to use a full backup with disk utility rather than time machine?
or would it be better to try and do the creating a partition trick.. seems to have at least some success for some people here... just trying to not waste too much time doing this here

cutcopypaste
Oct 4, 2009, 02:56 PM
well i've tried a couple things..
i turned of file sharing. zeroed all my free space.
another forum mentioned copying a lot of large files (so that the new versions are written at the beginning of the disk) and then trashing the old ones. This didn't work for me at all.
I then tried to create a partition in disk utility, but it was unable to do so, saying "partition cannot be resized. try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition". very descriptive, mr mac! lol

so i guess i'm gonna be stuck just wiping my drive, reformatting and restoring from a time machine backup.. but that will take a good long time won't it! (any idea how long it would take on a 320 gig drive with 100 gigs of free space?) plus it makes me really paranoid.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2009, 12:31 AM
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080120064811786

The link refers to 'Verification Failed' error, but running the 'fsck -f' command has twice corrected the partition error about files not being moved, and allowed me to set up my Boot Camp partition.

The first time, I tried de-fragging my HD and Boot Camp Assistant still would not partition, even though there was a lot of empty space relative to the Boot Camp partition I was trying to set up. Moving large files off my HD, etc. also did not help.

In the second case, I had even more hard drive space on my 13" MBP (I have a 500GB hard drive), but was getting the error after removing the partition to wipe my Windows install and trying to create the partition again (this is a known problem.) Remembering how I fixed it the first time, I ran the fsck command and it found some sort of error in the disk size, and corrected it. I re-booted into OSX, and Boot Camp Assistant then worked fine.

RUFiO795
Oct 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
...and I'm STILL getting the same error!

How is this possible? Shouldn't a clean install of Snow Leopard have rendered my hard drive totally empty and basically brand new? How can there be files that can't be moved? The only thing I've installed are whatever software updates were available - is it possible that those software updates are causing the problem?

Everyone keeps talking about reformatting and reinstalling as the last resort...well I bit the bullet and went for it, but I still can't partition. Any ideas?

marcin0903
Oct 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
One thing that helped me is reinstalling all Snow Leopard and just after reinstallation create partition.

Haruhi
Oct 26, 2009, 07:58 AM
This problem's really getting to me :(
Thinking it might be Sims 3, installed recently,5.5gig?
Deleted it, now gonna repair disk && permissions, then try again.
Will prob update in 30mins or so.
If I don't anytime soon, it's worked.

Ol!ver
Oct 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
Another option if you don't fancy a complete reinstall is using SuperDuper to create a disk image and restore that.

I posted about it here http://bit.ly/4fazMo

madmaxmedia
Oct 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Guys, try running the fsck command as I posted above- it worked twice for me after defragging and clearing up space, etc. didn't work.

Let us know if it worked, it was a lifesaver for me.

Ol!ver
Oct 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
Guys, try running the fsck command as I posted above- it worked twice for me after defragging and clearing up space, etc. didn't work.

Let us know if it worked, it was a lifesaver for me.

I tried it. No dice.

sageian1
Nov 6, 2009, 09:26 PM
Okay so i have been having similar problems, and decided to try iDefrag. I made the bootable CD, and when i tried to mount it, it said the computer could not read the disk. I had loaded all the booting information from the Mac Install Disk (i was prompted to when i first used CD Maker) and the CD maker appeared to make the CD without problems. I also tried booting it from the newly made CD, and the computer simply ejected the disk and booted up regularly.

I used a DVD+RW disk and also tried a CD+R and a DVD+R disk (not sure if any of that matters). if someone could post a solution that would be great, im not sure why this isnt working.

burningbright
Nov 8, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have the same problem, and also can't seem to get a live option to erase my HDD in Disk Utility. Really not sure how could get that option back... Would doing a clean install from my SL disc be the best option?

tommyhev
Nov 9, 2009, 08:05 AM
I had the same problem with boot camp-assistant not being able to move some files, thus, not creating the partition needed for windows.

What did it for me, was the same aflick86's solution. booting up from the OS X DVD, Fire up disk utility from the DVD, verify and repair disk permissions, verify and repair your disk. Then choose the MAC OS X HDD, not the name, but the one with the model number. go to the Partition tab, and add a new partition with the '+' sign, change the size of your partition, it is likely that it won't go as small as you want it, but it's better than reinstalling OS X, remember to choose FAT from the drop-down menu. When finished partitioning, boot into OS X and fire up the boot camp-assistant, this time it will recognize the FAT partition and ask if you want to install windows or remove the partition.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Nov 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
I had the same problem with boot camp-assistant not being able to move some files, thus, not creating the partition needed for windows.

What did it for me, was the same aflick86's solution. booting up from the OS X DVD, Fire up disk utility from the DVD, verify and repair disk permissions, verify and repair your disk. Then choose the MAC OS X HDD, not the name, but the one with the model number. go to the Partition tab, and add a new partition with the '+' sign, change the size of your partition, it is likely that it won't go as small as you want it, but it's better than reinstalling OS X, remember to choose FAT from the drop-down menu. When finished partitioning, boot into OS X and fire up the boot camp-assistant, this time it will recognize the FAT partition and ask if you want to install windows or remove the partition.

Interesting... I'll have to try that. I've been getting this error as well, and I've solved it in the past, but I have the sudden urge to [re]install Windows 7 on my MacBook, and this is getting in my way. As for many others posting to this thread, reformatting is NOT an option. I don't have means of backing up my video and music files that total to 300 GB+. I just "fsck -f"'d twice. Before that I deleted large Virtualbox VM files, and before THAT I defragged overnight via iDefrag. I'm going to try and partition before I try this.

Also, is there any way to tell what files are in the way of such an error? That would help A LOT of people get through this frustrating situation.

Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: I just tried to partition and it spit the error at me. Gonna try the process Tommy mentioned.

EDIT 2: I just did Tommy's process, and I tried to make a 60 GB partition. After a minute or so of "shrinking disk" it told me to try to make a smaller one. That's what's running right now. I've also tried this exact method, except I have Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X installed, and I told Disk Utility to format the partition to be created as Windows NT File System (NTFS) to try and save a step when installing Windows 7 itself.

EDIT 3: Tried with a 32 GB partition, and it still complains that I need to make a smaller partition. I'm gonna try and do this again via OS X vs being booted up from the installer.. I give up if it still complains, as I've deleted and/or moved anything too large for it. Screw it if it doesn't want to cooperate. I'm posting this from my Linux PC in case anyone is wondering how I have internet access...

benlangdon
Nov 20, 2009, 12:03 AM
Interesting... I'll have to try that. I've been getting this error as well, and I've solved it in the past, but I have the sudden urge to [re]install Windows 7 on my MacBook, and this is getting in my way. As for many others posting to this thread, reformatting is NOT an option. I don't have means of backing up my video and music files that total to 300 GB+. I just "fsck -f"'d twice. Before that I deleted large Virtualbox VM files, and before THAT I defragged overnight via iDefrag. I'm going to try and partition before I try this.

Also, is there any way to tell what files are in the way of such an error? That would help A LOT of people get through this frustrating situation.

Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: I just tried to partition and it spit the error at me. Gonna try the process Tommy mentioned.

EDIT 2: I just did Tommy's process, and I tried to make a 60 GB partition. After a minute or so of "shrinking disk" it told me to try to make a smaller one. That's what's running right now. I've also tried this exact method, except I have Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X installed, and I told Disk Utility to format the partition to be created as Windows NT File System (NTFS) to try and save a step when installing Windows 7 itself.

EDIT 3: Tried with a 32 GB partition, and it still complains that I need to make a smaller partition. I'm gonna try and do this again via OS X vs being booted up from the installer.. I give up if it still complains, as I've deleted and/or moved anything too large for it. Screw it if it doesn't want to cooperate. I'm posting this from my Linux PC in case anyone is wondering how I have internet access...

i did everything that tommy guy you mentioned said to do and moved big files (deleted) erased free space repaired disk and all.

now this thread is huge, im going to read more before i do the defrag rout.

i might just wait till winter break to do boot camp as i plane to do a clean install.

damm i just wanna play call of duty modern warfare 2 and left 4 dead 2:cool:

ayeying
Nov 20, 2009, 01:05 AM
i did everything that tommy guy you mentioned said to do and moved big files (deleted) erased free space repaired disk and all.

now this thread is huge, im going to read more before i do the defrag rout.

i might just wait till winter break to do boot camp as i plane to do a clean install.

damm i just wanna play call of duty modern warfare 2 and left 4 dead 2:cool:

Kinda have to. It's either defrag or restore from time machine or restore from a clone. I think the defrag is faster though. Time Machine and Clone are cheaper though but a bit more time consuming.

lucifiel
Nov 20, 2009, 06:13 AM
Kinda have to. It's either defrag or restore from time machine or restore from a clone. I think the defrag is faster though. Time Machine and Clone are cheaper though but a bit more time consuming.

and there's no guarantee that defrag will work, cloning is the simplest method I find, but it does take some time...

ayeying
Nov 20, 2009, 11:07 AM
and there's no guarantee that defrag will work, cloning is the simplest method I find, but it does take some time...

Defrag does work. I've done it before. You have to compact all the files so you have a large free empty space to create a partition.

Now, if you have an SSD, that actually doesn't matter anymore. You can create a partition regardless of "unmovable" files.

HughBee
Dec 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
I had this problem and then called Apple Tech Support who offered the following solution that immediately worked on two MacBook Pro's that were previously giving the 'files cannot be moved message' during BootCamp partitioning.

Shutdown the computer, restart holding Command S Keys. Type the following into the command line:

/sbin/fsk -fy

The computer will run through a repair strategy - when finished repeat the process. If the final message is 'No Problems' then you should be good to go. Type reboot into the command line then proceed to BootCamp Assistant.

Caveat: I am just following the Apple Techs suggestion, I do not know enough about root commands to verify if this approach has any downsides - but it worked!

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 11, 2009, 02:59 PM
I had this problem and then called Apple Tech Support who offered the following solution that immediately worked on two MacBook Pro's that were previously giving the 'files cannot be moved message' during BootCamp partitioning.

Shutdown the computer, restart holding Command S Keys. Type the following into the command line:

/sbin/fsk -fy

The computer will run through a repair strategy - when finished repeat the process. If the final message is 'No Problems' then you should be good to go. Type reboot into the command line then proceed to BootCamp Assistant.

Caveat: I am just following the Apple Techs suggestion, I do not know enough about root commands to verify if this approach has any downsides - but it worked!

Are you sure it wasn't "/sbin/fsck -fy" ? I've tried that, and BCA still says NOPE WON'T DO IT FOR YA~.

philrunclimb
Jan 5, 2010, 03:55 PM
Are you sure it wasn't "/sbin/fsck -fy" ? I've tried that, and BCA still says NOPE WON'T DO IT FOR YA~.

Hi - yes the poster was right... it is /sbin/fsck -fy I did this and rebooted and now boot camp is happy to partitioon the 32Gb I requested

Hurrah!

BUT now I get a prob wiuth installing Vista - it says it can only be on NTFS partition, and not the bootcamp one... darn!!! what next?

philrunclimb
Jan 5, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi - yes the poster was right... it is /sbin/fsck -fy I did this and rebooted and now boot camp is happy to partitioon the 32Gb I requested

Hurrah!

BUT now I get a prob wiuth installing Vista - it says it can only be on NTFS partition, and not the bootcamp one... darn!!! what next?

DOH.... silly me...,ake sure you follow Apple's guide to using bootcamp on their website.. the PDF document. Vista installed and working and took up about 8.5 Gb. Jeez

Tony-Lin
Jan 16, 2010, 10:51 PM
I had the problem to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro today. I could only cut 20G for my Windows, beyond that, I got the error. I solved the problem with the following steps:

1. Boot from the Mac OS installation DVD (Snow Leopard in my case)
2. Open Disk Util
3. Select the HDD, and the partition tab
4. Shrink the Mac OS partition to give space for Windows 7 (90G in my case)
5. Create a new FAT partition with the free space
6. Boot from Windows 7 installation CD
7. When prompted for selecting the partition, select the one you have just created, and format it to NTFS.
8. When reboot during Windows installation, remember to hold the ALT key when the screen turns to light grey and select the Windows partition to boot.
9. Continue until the installation is completed, then insert Mac OS installation CD to install boot camp and device drivers.

damnyooneek
Jan 31, 2010, 02:55 PM
start up with cmd + S the type /sbin/fsck -fy this worked for me

Mackan
Feb 1, 2010, 04:56 AM
Defragging and compacting the files - basically moving them to the beginning of the partition works fine. It will also make your system more snappy.

johnrs
Mar 8, 2010, 04:01 PM

Hurrah!

Just thought I would add that this worked for me too. I have a 27" imac and needed to reinstall windows 7 again and was getting the black screen as expected so removed the ATIKMDAG.SYS file, but now getting a "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered ......" so I have deleted the bootcamp partition and tried to recreate it and ran into the "file cannot be moved" etc

ErikFace
Apr 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
I first tried the whole /sbin/fsck -fy deal. That didn't work. So I took the desperate advice of Tony-Lin. That didn't work either :(

I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.3. 2.4 ghz.

I've made a partition before about a year ago. I screwed up with the activation code and after 30 days, I wasn't able to use Windows anymore. So I deleted the partition and I've had this issue ever since.

iFusion
Apr 21, 2010, 06:31 PM
Im still getting this error, I managed to solve it last time by running "Compact" in iDefrag, but this time I thought id try a full defrag (I deleted Windows 7 to install Windows XP due to space, now I have enough space I want Windows 7 back)
After I did a full defrag the error was still occurring, bit strange but I thought I might need to do compact, I did that and it finished in about 15 minutes. So I go to try again, but still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

I refuse to backup the contents and reformat cus that seems completely unneccessary, theres no reason why I shouldnt be able to use Boot Camp :confused:
I have 81GB available and only want a 20GB partition.

lucifiel
Apr 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Im still getting this error, I managed to solve it last time by running "Compact" in iDefrag, but this time I thought id try a full defrag (I deleted Windows 7 to install Windows XP due to space, now I have enough space I want Windows 7 back)
After I did a full defrag the error was still occurring, bit strange but I thought I might need to do compact, I did that and it finished in about 15 minutes. So I go to try again, but still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

I refuse to backup the contents and reformat cus that seems completely unneccessary, theres no reason why I shouldnt be able to use Boot Camp :confused:
I have 81GB available and only want a 20GB partition.

The Carbon Copy method works, but it is tantamount to back up and reinstall. In terms of contiguous space, it's the best solution. It really won't take more than 2 or 3 hours since you have more space than I do. It took me 1 hour to back up with CCC and another hour to CCC back to my original HD. I only have about 30 gigs of data though, so YMMV.

n.m.e
Apr 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
I had heaps of problems with the error. Then i deleted 25gig of music, restarted, had 25 gig free and made a 25gig partition and it finally worked. Its taken me days, i also tried right after deleting the files and it didn't work so may it have been the restart?.. anyway now i have windows!

stonecold001
May 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
Backup computer. And then do erase and install that should work and then partion bootcamp.....

whidbeyben
Jun 4, 2010, 11:03 PM
I've had my 15" i7 MBP a few weeks and started using Virtual Box with XP, which worked fine for IE, but wouldn't run a program I need to view video from a video surveillance HD (Lorex PC Viewer), so I decided to try Boot Camp, and ran into the "unable to partition- files in use" problem. This wasn't an issue of space since on my 500GB HD, there was at least 350GB available.

I did end up following Boot Camp Assistant's suggestion to back up (I used time machine- but beware the problems with getting Time Machine to back up a Filevault protected home folder- you need to be logged out of that Filevault protected user and logged in as anyone else, then manually force a time machine backup). I held my breath as I rebooted with the MacOSX install disk and formatted the hard drive, then reinstalled from the time machine backup. I was relieved when 2-1/2 hrs later, things were back to their original state, except now Boot Camp Assistant was able to create the 21GB Windows partition it needed.

It's good to know that Time Machine can restore a volume to its original state. Too bad Boot Camp Assistant required that but it did work.

fkntotalkaos
Jun 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
I had the same problem.
I got Office 2004

Dumb question but how do I remove the VM files from Parallels. I tried trashing all Parallels crap.. but still get the bootcamp error:confused:

dudethechad
Jun 25, 2010, 01:21 PM
When partitioning so that I can install XP, bootcamp claims that specific files cannot be moved, making it so that I am unable to install XP.

I wanted a 14GB partition, and that would leave about 16 additional gigs free on the OSX partition

Ok, i have gotten this error two different times on two different computers. The first time i got it was on my 24inch iMac. The second time was just recently on my 17 inch macbook pro. I was very upset when i got it on the macbook because it was a nightmare with my 24 inch. It turned out that the cause of the error on the 24inch was that the hard drive had physical damage to it, making it impossible to repair in disk utility and eventually resulted in a hard drive failure. (The darkest part of my life). So you can imagine i was very distressed to see the same error message on my brand new macbook pro. So i read this thread and decided to sleep on it. When i woke up today i decided to bite the bullet and backup/restore/recover. I booted with the install disk like it says. I opened disk utility like it says. I clicked verify disk like it says. And what do u know, the disk needs to be repaired. I click repair and after about 10 minutes of pacing around my house, i get the green-texted congratulations on a successful repair. This is where my experience with the macbook began to branch away from that of the iMac. i decided before i wanted to backup/restore/recover, i wanted to see if that simple repair was the issue, so i rebooted, opened up bootcamp assistant, set my partition and it worked! Within 5 mins, it was partitioned and ready to go. Now i know that this won't help everyone since it couldnt help my iMac, but i suggest trying it before you give up entirely on having windows. Hope this helped!

jsruok
Jul 7, 2010, 04:35 PM
Using Disk Utility's repair options worked for me.

SanjayVyas
Jul 24, 2010, 03:24 PM
If the swap file is the one which has been placed at the end of the volume, re partitioning will not help. Rather than using an expensive app like iDefrag (~ $30) ... just disable the VM for a while and delete the swap file.

Step 1:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
sudo rm /private/var/vm/swapfile*

Step 2:
Once this step is done, go back to Bootcamp assistant and the partitioning should go thru. Thereafter you can re enable the swap file.

Step 3:
sudo launchctl load -wF /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist

Confirm that the swap file has been created in /private/var/vm/

Step 4:
Now go ahead and tell Bootcamp to boot into windows CD.

Guys, this worked for me and I didnt have to pay $30 just for moving one file. But I DO NOT provide ANY guarantees. Please do the sensible thing and backup your OSX partition before you try this stunt.

If it works for you, drop me a line on sanjay dot vyas at gmail dot com

mipmap
Jul 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
For anyone arriving at this thread recently, here is a summary of the solutions. I'm only listing ones that *have been confirmed by at least one person to fix this problem*.

1) Reinstall OS - Boot Camp's recommended solution. Very time consuming.

2) Defragment - Requires purchasing iDefrag for $30. Defragment your internal (boot) drive and try Boot Camp again.

3) Clone & restore - Requires free SuperDuper. Backup your internal drive to another drive, erase the internal drive, then restore the backup to the internal drive. This is essentially another way to defragment.

4) Manual partition resize - Boot from an OSX DVD, run Disk Utility from there, shrink the OSX partition on your internal drive, then create a new FAT partition in the free space, then format the FAT partition to NTFS when installing Windows.

5) Apple Tech support's solution - Startup machine with Command + S. Run /sbin/fsck -fy. Repeat process. Reboot and run Boot Camp.

6) Clean startup - Reboot your machine. Run Boot Camp before running anything else.

7) Move large files - Moving large files (videos, Parallels VMs, etc.) to an external drive allows Boot Camp to proceed for some.

8) Disk Utility - Run Disk Utility and perform zero free space, repair permissions, and repair disk. Some of these may not be necessary (zero free space probably makes no difference) - but it doesn't hurt to do all three. NOTE: You should probably boot from an OSX install DVD so Disk Utility has full access to the internal boot drive. If you don't have the DVD, you can boot from a cloned drive you previously made by holding down Option at machine startup. See 3) above for how to clone your drive.

My personal experience: Solution 8) fixed it for me, where previously not even a 5GB Windows partition could be created by Boot Camp even though I had 40GB free on my 120GB internal drive. Zero free space and repair permissions worked by running Disk Utility directly from my internal drive, but I had to boot from an external cloned drive and run Disk Utility from there in order for Repair Disk to work completely on the internal drive.

Hope this helps others arriving at this thread now. Feel free to extend this summary if you have another solution that you have confirmed fixed this problem in at least one case.

-Erik

techno91
Jul 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
1. Go to "Disk Utility", add a second partition as MS-DOS FAT type. Make it the size you want your Windows partition. I made mine 32GB. Don't worry, disk utility will not corrupt the main partition (as long as you don't actually erase it!).

2. Go back to bootcamp assistant, restore it back to one partition. I know this is redundant, but if we want boot camp to do the setup, we have to do this.

3. Restart boot camp assistant, and redo the partition creation steps, it shouldn't error out anymore. :-)

That's what worked for me. Just thought i'd share.

Coolbreeze84
Jul 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
1. Go to "Disk Utility", add a second partition as MS-DOS FAT type. Make it the size you want your Windows partition. I made mine 32GB. Don't worry, disk utility will not corrupt the main partition (as long as you don't actually erase it!).

2. Go back to bootcamp assistant, restore it back to one partition. I know this is redundant, but if we want boot camp to do the setup, we have to do this.

3. Restart boot camp assistant, and redo the partition creation steps, it shouldn't error out anymore. :-)

That's what worked for me. Just thought i'd share.

I have a 27-inch imac and I downloaded iDefrag and it didn't fix my problem. I'm annoyed that I wasted $30 but I guess it's good to have a defragger...

Anyway, can someone post more precise details on how to use disk utility? I'm not sure how to add a second partition using that program. Also, what does MS-DOS FAT type mean?

Sorry, fairly new to Macs here.

techno91
Jul 29, 2010, 12:38 AM
Note these steps were tested with Snow Leopard, as requested:

To partition with disk utility:

1. Start disk utility, its located inside Utilities in Applications.
2. Click on your hard drive to the left.
3. Click "Partition"
4. Click the first partition, mine is called "Mac OSX".
5. Click the "+" sign on the bottom.
6. Click the new partition and change the size and type according to my instructions above.
7. Click apply.

Follow the rest of the instructions I previously posted. Let me know if it works for you. I tried this on 2 macs that had the problem, and it works!

Coolbreeze84
Jul 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
Note these steps were tested with Snow Leopard, as requested:

To partition with disk utility:

1. Start disk utility, its located inside Utilities in Applications.
2. Click on your hard drive to the left.
3. Click "Partition"
4. Click the first partition, mine is called "Mac OSX".
5. Click the "+" sign on the bottom.
6. Click the new partition and change the size and type according to my instructions above.
7. Click apply.

Follow the rest of the instructions I previously posted. Let me know if it works for you. I tried this on 2 macs that had the problem, and it works!

It won't let me make the partition. It gives me the following message

Partition failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Stephen Dowling
Jul 29, 2010, 08:26 PM
This happened to me before, and I managed to fix it. I booted from my Snow Leopard disk and ran disk utility and verified and repaired the disk AND the disk permissions. I hope you get it all sorted out!

Coolbreeze84
Jul 31, 2010, 10:16 AM
This happened to me before, and I managed to fix it. I booted from my Snow Leopard disk and ran disk utility and verified and repaired the disk AND the disk permissions. I hope you get it all sorted out!

It worked! Thanks a lot. Repairing the disk solved my problem

philamac
Sep 9, 2010, 03:59 PM
This was happening to me, where Bootcamp Assistant said it could not partition my drive because it was unable to move files... and I found that my particular problem had to do with the fact that I use VMWare Fusion to run virtual machines. These virtual machines must be completely shut down, not suspended or anything else, shut down. After I shut down my virtualized win7 machine, Bootcamp Assistant was able to partition my drive.

So if anyone else is running VM Fusion or any other virtualization, I suggest giving that a try, before doing all the other ones.

omsahmad
Sep 30, 2010, 11:42 PM

What is happening is not a file which you can easily remove. First make SURE you have backed everything up. BACK IT UP. Time Machine is great for this.

Shut down the computer and after it had completely turned off, turn it back on. Hold :apple:S (Command S) while the computer is turning on. It will then go in to a single user mode. It will take a couple of minutes to go through everything and most likely it will say something like "missing file" "error in file." After a while it should say Macintosh HD complete. Then type in exit. If at any time anything goes wrong type "hault" everything will stop. Then try again. Is it does not work still, make sure everything is BACKED UP and then completely restart your computer to factory setting with the little grey disk that came with. When you are going through set-up click "previously had a Mac and would like to restore with TIme Machine" and then everything will be back and Bootcamp will work. If it still doesn't work, you will have to take it to a Genius Bar and get a new hard drive. By the way if you are skeptical of doing any of these steps by yourself, the people at the genius bar can help.

rafaella
Dec 20, 2010, 11:50 AM
From all the recommendations, here's the only thing that worked for me, no need to reinstall OSX [just in time, i was this close to buy idefrag]:

1)Reboot holding Command + S
2)On the prompt that appears, type fsck -fy and then press enter, your HD will start to be restored
3)Wait for the restoration to be complete
4)Type reboot and press enter

and voilà, after two days of googling myself to death, i finally got my 32GB partition. :)

Paul1969
Jan 15, 2011, 04:31 AM
Had the same problem, found on an other forum to restart in safe mode, I did this and then went to bootcamp and it worked straight away, then restarted as normal and no problems whatsoever, found this just in time as I was going to go down the formatting route.

dvswede
Feb 1, 2011, 07:12 AM
From all the recommendations, here's the only thing that worked for me, no need to reinstall OSX [just in time, i was this close to buy idefrag]:

1)Reboot holding Command + S
2)On the prompt that appears, type fsck -fy and then press enter, your HD will start to be restored
3)Wait for the restoration to be complete
4)Type reboot and press enter

and voilà, after two days of googling myself to death, i finally got my 32GB partition. :)

Thank you! That fixed my issue as well. I had a 2010 imac with 1TB drive and was using <250G of it. Still I couldn't create a 160GB partition. Running fsck found two minor problems with the disk and after reboot it worked flawlessly.

I wonder if the disk got corrupted when I copied things over from my other mac using the tranfer program. It seemed to hang at 100% so I had to kill it but all files where on my new mac. Other then that I also had a parallells VM (that I deleted).

So once again thank you for the simple fix.

balamw
Feb 1, 2011, 11:07 AM
For those adverse to Single User mode and the Terminal. You should be able to get the same effect from booting from the grey OS X disc that came with your Mac or SL upgrade disc if you used one.

Once Booted run Disk Utility from there and repair your disk (just another name for fsck - file system check).

B

senorgrand
Feb 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
I finally tried idfrag and that did the trick. I was even able to do it "online", so no boot disk necessary. I only need windows for a game or two, so 20 gig was plenty.

This is what I tried before iDfrag did the trick:

1) Rebooting
2) Rebooting into "safe mode"
3) Deleting some large files
4) Using disk first aid

I've got an SSD drive, so iDfrag only took 45 minutes for 120 gigs.

NOW I'll delete parallels...

thegreatdivorce
Feb 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm getting this error, too. In the past, I created an XP partition with no problems. Now, wanting to do it again, I tried, got the error, ran Compact with iDefrag, and ... still got the error!

This is what iDefrag shows now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ixoye/fyoubootcamp.jpg

Should my next step be fsck -fy?

balamw
Feb 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm getting this error, too. In the past, I created an XP partition with no problems. Now, wanting to do it again, I tried, got the error, ran Compact with iDefrag, and ... still got the error!]

Should my next step be fsck -fy?

It won't hurt, but you may also want to try using iDefrag when booted to another disc if you haven't already.

B

thegreatdivorce
Feb 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
It won't hurt, but you may also want to try using iDefrag when booted to another disc if you haven't already.

B

I did that with iDefrag. Just ran fsck and it repaired something, ran it again, and it came back ok. We'll see.

APtalent
Feb 21, 2011, 03:23 PM
This was happening to me, where Bootcamp Assistant said it could not partition my drive because it was unable to move files... and I found that my particular problem had to do with the fact that I use VMWare Fusion to run virtual machines. These virtual machines must be completely shut down, not suspended or anything else, shut down. After I shut down my virtualized win7 machine, Bootcamp Assistant was able to partition my drive.

So if anyone else is running VM Fusion or any other virtualization, I suggest giving that a try, before doing all the other ones.

I'll have to give this a try. Last time I tried my virtual and parallel machines were suspended.

thegreatdivorce
Feb 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Update, all is working well, thus far. After running fsck -fy a couple times (until it comes back "everything is a-ok"), and then it let me partition and install W7.

zodiac909
Feb 26, 2011, 07:37 PM

After trying everything here I thought to myself: What does BootCamp try to do? Yes, it tries to create 5GB (or whatever size you choose for your XP partition) of CONSECUTIVE FREE disk space. Since BC is running from within OS X: if you have programs running that have been installed recently, they're probably stored at the 'end' of your HD, therefore BC tries to move 'em to the 'beginning' of the HD, which won't work if the files are in use. Hence: some files can't be moved.

Solution:

Okay so i got iDefrag and CDmaker but when i choose which type of computer i have on CDmaker the license agreement comes up but never lets me click on "accept"
any ideas??

thewiseguy
May 31, 2011, 01:21 PM
I have watched a few youtube videos on how to use bootcamp and complete the whole procedure easily and smoothly.I noticed that when they all click on bootcamp assistant and start it goes to the partition.On my 1TB iMac it is showing me another page asking if I have some disks or if i wish to download something.The download doesn't work and I never got these disks,when I use the disk option it is allowing me to partition then it says something else.
Could someone help me please I have 902GB left and the minimum memory to partition is 20GB which is fine as I only want the minimum just to run a game I stupidly downloaded after not seeing that it is not mac compatible.Thanks:apple:

balamw
May 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
On my 1TB iMac it is showing me another page asking if I have some disks or if i wish to download something.The download doesn't work and I never got these disks,when I use the disk option it is allowing me to partition then it says something else.

Some versions of Boot Camp Assistant have this flaw. There was a thread that posted a way to download he drivers by finding the link in the software update XML file.

Can you be more specific? Which particular 1 TB iMac do you have? What is the "something else" it says? ...

B

blkwhtrbbt
Jul 1, 2011, 11:03 PM

Solution:

Will any disk burner work? Does it have to be THAT software?

blkwhtrbbt
Jul 2, 2011, 09:49 AM
What is happening is not a file which you can easily remove. First make SURE you have backed everything up. BACK IT UP. Time Machine is great for this.

Shut down the computer and after it had completely turned off, turn it back on. Hold :apple:S (Command S) while the computer is turning on. It will then go in to a single user mode. It will take a couple of minutes to go through everything and most likely it will say something like "missing file" "error in file." After a while it should say Macintosh HD complete. Then type in exit. If at any time anything goes wrong type "hault" everything will stop. Then try again. Is it does not work still, make sure everything is BACKED UP and then completely restart your computer to factory setting with the little grey disk that came with. When you are going through set-up click "previously had a Mac and would like to restore with TIme Machine" and then everything will be back and Bootcamp will work. If it still doesn't work, you will have to take it to a Genius Bar and get a new hard drive. By the way if you are skeptical of doing any of these steps by yourself, the people at the genius bar can help.

Back it up to what? An external hard drive? or can it be on the HD volume within the computer?

balamw
Jul 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Time Machine typically wants to back up to either an external or Time Capsule/NAS. If you had enough room to back everything up to your internal you most likely would not see this error. ;)

B

hinchesk
Oct 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
It was $30 well spent... downloaded/installed iDefrag 2.1.0, ran Full Defrag on the Macbook and Bootcamp partitioned the drive fine afterward... 50Gb partition.

Onyx, fsck, perm repair, disk repair, cache cleaning... none of it worked.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
It was $30 well spent... downloaded/installed iDefrag 2.1.0, ran Full Defrag on the Macbook and Bootcamp partitioned the drive fine afterward... 50Gb partition.

Onyx, fsck, perm repair, disk repair, cache cleaning... none of it worked.

Thanks for posting, I guess there are just different problems that can occur that result in the same error message.

The fsck command has fixed the issue 2 different times for me, but obviously it depends on what the problem is.

It would be nice to have a sticky thread that has collected all the different options, and listed in order of suggested use. So the least expensive/ time-consuming options would be higher up, and then you go down the list until hopefully 1 has solved your problem.

Chitzui
Nov 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hey Fellas,

you drive me really crazy with all your shittalk. I nearly spend 30 Precious dollars on a worthless crap software called iDefrag or something.
Well you bitches, here is a 100% working way to do it without spending 1 ****ing $:
(write following steps on paper)

1. Insert the MAC installation CD into your Mac.
2. Reboot and Hold the "C" key down.
3. Choose language.
4. Select "Utility" (or something) in the navbar on the top of the screen.
5. Select Disk Utility.
6. Select your Disk.
7. Press "Repair Disk" and wait until it finishes.
8. Press "Repair Disk Permissions" and wait until it finishes.
9. Reboot.
10. Open your Boot Camp Assistant (I kno you kno how to find it!)

-> Now it'll work at 99% sure.

I tried this on 100 Macs with the same problem and 99 times it worked. No Joke.
DO NOT BUY iDefrag or some other dipshit paying tools unless you have ******** of money and want to support some poor dudes. But in that case you would better send your money to me 'coz I really solved the issue.
iDefrag however could work at a 75% rate.
Other tools might have a similar working %.
But mine is free and no risk. It is actually what Apple Support Team advised me to so !

jpoprock
Dec 28, 2011, 12:45 PM

Where were they located, cuz I bet that is my problem too. I wonder if they are a process I can just kill off rather than deleting them? They should start back up when needed, and it may allow me to do the partition?

I'm running Parallels 7 with Win 7, but I'm thinking since I spend most of day in Windows for work related things that don't jive with OS X (.net and .aspx servers), I figured my windows experience would be FASTER if I ran Bootcamp. Problem is, I don't want to have to back up and wipe my current system drive (mainly because for as experienced as I am, I have no clue how to do reinstall things from say Time Machine since I've never used it. I usually just wipe and start over, reinstalling all my app's, and moving my home folder contents over, which is a time consuming PITA.

I have a 129 gigs left on my system drive, but Boot Camp won't partition a paltry 20gigs for XP Pro (figured I'd go back to XP Pro since Windows 7 may be too power hungry for this iMac?). I don't see the point of running Windows on 10gigs of space. That just isn't enough!

I wonder if I can install Windows XP or Windows 7 to an External Firewire drive if I partition a section for that? I have a partition for Snow Leo that I can boot too in an emergency, but I've never tried windows. Windows XP wants to use NFTS+, and Disc Util doesn't give that option. I'm pretty sure that MSDOS isn't the correct choice.

I don't think sharing resources on my iMac is ideal. Especially the power hungry Windows 7. My Mac only has 4gigs of memory and a small vid card. So I don't know what to do? I thought of just buying a cheap Windows Laptop and being done with running Windows on this Mac. It's fine for what I need it to do on the Mac side of things.

Thanks!

Jason

scottdf
Jan 9, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hey Fellas,

you drive me really crazy with all your shittalk. I nearly spend 30 Precious dollars on a worthless crap software called iDefrag or something.
Well you bitches, here is a 100% working way to do it without spending 1 ****ing $:
(write following steps on paper)

1. Insert the MAC installation CD into your Mac.
2. Reboot and Hold the "C" key down.
3. Choose language.
4. Select "Utility" (or something) in the navbar on the top of the screen.
5. Select Disk Utility.
6. Select your Disk.
7. Press "Repair Disk" and wait until it finishes.
8. Press "Repair Disk Permissions" and wait until it finishes.
9. Reboot.
10. Open your Boot Camp Assistant (I kno you kno how to find it!)

-> Now it'll work at 99% sure.

I tried this on 100 Macs with the same problem and 99 times it worked. No Joke.
DO NOT BUY iDefrag or some other dipshit paying tools unless you have ******** of money and want to support some poor dudes. But in that case you would better send your money to me 'coz I really solved the issue.
iDefrag however could work at a 75% rate.
Other tools might have a similar working %.
But mine is free and no risk. It is actually what Apple Support Team advised me to so !

I guess I must be the 1% as I did this and still have the error. To be fair, I also bought and ran the iDefrag software and had no luck. I am going to look for any VM ware when I get home and also create a bootable disk to see if that helps.

madmaxmedia
Jan 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
I guess I must be the 1% as I did this and still have the error. To be fair, I also bought and ran the iDefrag software and had no luck. I am going to look for any VM ware when I get home and also create a bootable disk to see if that helps.

Did you try this one? (the fsck one)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11598440&postcount=157

That has worked for me a couple of times, not sure if its the exact same thing as repairing disk/permissions from a install CD.

scottdf
Jan 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks - I tried that last night and still no luck. I only did it once, and am not sure if I needed to do it a few times. I plan to try it a few more times this evening, as well as create a "bootable" disc from iDefrag and let it do its thing on the whole drive.

It is too bad the error message doesn't tell you WHAT file it can't move! You would think bootcamp could find 60GB out of the 170GB I have free to create a partition, but I'll figure it out eventually. It just feels like it should not be this hard. :)

Thanks again, Scott

madmaxmedia
Jan 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks - I tried that last night and still no luck. I only did it once, and am not sure if I needed to do it a few times. I plan to try it a few more times this evening, as well as create a "bootable" disc from iDefrag and let it do its thing on the whole drive.

It is too bad the error message doesn't tell you WHAT file it can't move! You would think bootcamp could find 60GB out of the 170GB I have free to create a partition, but I'll figure it out eventually. It just feels like it should not be this hard. :)

Thanks again, Scott

Hmmm...that is weird that none of the solutions worked. I only ever had to do the fsck thing once (I've used it maybe 2-3 times over the years.)

A couple other things- have you tried making a smaller than 60GB partition (even if only to test it)? Also, are there any particular large files you can delete or offload to external drive to create more space? Whatsize is a good one for analyzing your hard drive-

http://whatsizemac.com/

scottdf
Jan 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah it is strange. I really wanted to have a larger partition, but you bring up a good point of creating even a smaller one to see if that would work. When I first ran into this error, I thought I tried to make a smaller one and got the same error - but I will for sure try again.

I would think it could carve our a solid slice that is roughly a third of my free space - but I guess not. The more I think about it, the more it has to be some ROGUE file that is causing the issue. Someone on another forum had an issue with an old 2008 office database. A different person had an issue with VM software, Crossfire, or other MAC/WINDOWS type applications - so I am also going to do a search and destroy mission to see if I can find any of these apps that might be causing the error.

Getting a partition set up is just the first step in my process to ultimately be able to play a windows game on my iMac, hopefully the rest of the steps go more smoothly. :)

Scott

misconfig
Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
All,

I signed up for the forum after I ran into this issue - at first I tried several of the 'fixes' some people claimed to have thus far. I've deleted parallels and any respective files VIA the command line - after running find I know they don't exist; I still had no luck.

Fortunately for me, I'm a *nix admin for a living and I thought *why don't I just run fsck on the filesystem*, well it worked for me.

After running fsck on the disk I was able to create a Windows Partition ( For a FreeBSD install using ReFit ).

Here is my proposed 'fix'.

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Please ensure you have the entire process either written down, printed out or on another PC screen. After the system reboots into safe mode we have to do more work before we boot back into normal operating mode.

1.) We must flag the OS to force 'fsck' on reboot ( will boot into Safe Mode ).
2.) Open Terminal ( use spotlight to find it quickly )
3.) Type the following items wrapped in the 'code' tags hit enter after each command
4.) I'm not being condescending I just want to make it clear that the '$' in front of the commands does not need to be typed ( for the ones being introduced to a *nix shell )

$ sudo nvram boot-args="-x"
$ sudo shutdown -r now

The machine will now reboot and you will see a progress bar on the bottom of the apple logo - wait until this finishes.

After this completes, log into your mac and open the terminal once again
Type the following:

$ sudo nvram boot-args="" <---- that's 2 quotation marks
$ sudo shutdown -r now

Once your machine restarts again - open up the Boot Camp Assistant and create your new partition. Please post feedback, I'd love to hear if this helps others solve this annoying issue!

kpgh554
Jan 17, 2012, 05:39 AM
All,

I signed up for the forum after I ran into this issue - at first I tried several of the 'fixes' some people claimed to have thus far. I've deleted parallels and any respective files VIA the command line - after running find I know they don't exist; I still had no luck.

Fortunately for me, I'm a *nix admin for a living and I thought *why don't I just run fsck on the filesystem*, well it worked for me.

After running fsck on the disk I was able to create a Windows Partition ( For a FreeBSD install using ReFit ).

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Please ensure you have the entire process either written down, printed out or on another PC screen. After the system reboots into safe mode we have to do more work before we boot back into normal operating mode.

3.) Type the following items wrapped in the 'code' tags hit enter after each command
4.) I'm not being condescending I just want to make it clear that the '$' in front of the commands does not need to be typed ( for the ones being introduced to a *nix shell )

$ sudo shutdown -r now

The machine will now reboot and you will see a progress bar on the bottom of the apple logo - wait until this finishes.

Type the following:

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Once your machine restarts again - open up the Boot Camp Assistant and create your new partition. Please post feedback, I'd love to hear if this helps others solve this annoying issue!
have you tried here http://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/ can leave out the uk bit if want but both sites same

rahulthewall
Feb 1, 2012, 11:01 AM
All,

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Type the following:

$ sudo shutdown -r now

I can confirm that this works.

faraziit
Feb 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
Hasn't worked for me. The error I've been dealing with is getting Boot Camp Assistant to realize that I have more than 10 GB free—even though I have more than 21 GB of free space, it continues to believe that I'm under 10 GB. I thought this method ought to work, since there's probably a rogue file somewhere causing disk fragmentation. but no such luck. Any ideas?

All,

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Type the following:

$ sudo shutdown -r now

a.t
Jun 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hi Dude , first of all will like to say thanks for the helping to solve this problem , but sad to say after following your terminal code it still prompted same message " The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

It's pain OMG

All,

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Type the following:

$ sudo shutdown -r now

djtut111
Sep 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
cant move files...(see the picture)
what should I do to solve that problem?
I want to install windows 7 ultimate in other partition on macbook pro 2011
thanks

balamw
Sep 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
cant move files...(see the picture)
what should I do to solve that problem?
I want to install windows 7 ultimate in other partition on macbook pro 2011
thanks

Take a look at some of the posts above yours. This is far from uncommon.

B