Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
So, I know this would require quite a bit of luck, but it sure would be nice..

Im requesting a small indicator with every news item posted. Maybe 3 'levels' of credibility; Green, yellow and red. Reliable (75%+), so-and-so (75-40%) and bad-track-record (40%-).

It should reflect the source's usual rumor-credibility, based on past news from them.
Basically it should just be (rumor-that-turned-our-right/rumors-posted) = Percentage.

If it is a basic news-post, then the marker should be dimmed or something.

Comments?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think anyone could really put such an accurate figure on an article. The fact an article (well, a rumour) gets to Page 1 instead of Page 2 generally means it's more accurate than it could be, however accurate that may be. :p

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
I don't think anyone could really put such an accurate figure on an article. The fact an article (well, a rumour) gets to Page 1 instead of Page 2 generally means it's more accurate than it could be, however accurate that may be. :p

I agree with mad jew. The idea of the color indicator may bear some merit, but I don't think that it would really work out. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This has been brought up before... but it's not practical. There are already broad designations - such as Page 1 and Page 2.

Generally, Page 1 rumors are more accurate, and tends to come from major sites. newspapers, thinksecret/appleinsider, etc....

If a questionable story is posted on Page 1, it's usually qualified - stating that its not traditionally accurate.

I'm not sure if there really are that many gradations of reliability. I think they grossly fall into generally reliable and generally not reliable... which is what Page 2 and Page 1 are sorta for.

arn

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
What would be nice, is if it were colour-coded for how significant the news is. E.g. Green for a new design or brand new piece of Software, Red for a minor OS update.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
New MacBooks...raise the MacRumors alert level to Magenta!

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
BlizzardBomb said:
What would be nice, is if it were colour-coded for how significant the news is. E.g. Green for a new design or brand new piece of Software, Red for a minor OS update.
This being a rumor site, we would be in an almost constant yellow rumor alert level. We are in this for the long haul, this struggle will not end quickly, always be vigilant etc.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Heh. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought we got to rate the reliability of each other. :D (I've seen other forums do it).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
EricNau said:
Heh. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought we got to rate the reliability of each other. :D (I've seen other forums do it).

its possible in vBulliten to implement such a feature too, however it can get out of hand and lead to bickering. i think we're better off without it.

and on Topic: i don't think we need any more generalizations besides the Page one and Page two rumors. keeps it nice and organized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.