PDA

View Full Version : Why does Boot Camp require XP SR 2?

macstudent
Apr 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
I have a full CD for XP pro original, yet I can't use this with boot camp. What is so special about having the CD with SR 2?

Queso
Apr 5, 2006, 04:18 PM
My guess is that there's something in the tech that Microsoft could sue over. Apple have placated them by giving them new XP sales.

Could be a rubbish theory, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

reh
Apr 5, 2006, 04:32 PM
Just make a XP SP2 cd. It's pretty easy. Fire up your favorite search engine and look for "windows xp slipstream".

jkballer23
Apr 5, 2006, 04:55 PM
yeah, you can just slipstream SP2 in. You don't have to buy a new WinXP cd.

CanadaRAM
Apr 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
I have a full CD for XP pro original, yet I can't use this with boot camp. What is so special about having the CD with SR 2?
Please read the docs, or at least the other posts here that answer the same question

FAQ
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

Installation Guide
http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootc...etup_Guide.pdf

"Frequently asked questions: Installation and partitioning

Why can't an upgrade version of Windows XP or a full version of Windows XP that does not include Service Pack 2 (SP2) be used for installation?

You would be required to insert your original Windows CD during installation, however there is no way to eject the first disc until after Windows installation is complete and the drivers from the Macintosh Driver CD created by Boot Camp Assistant Beta are installed. Important: Boot Camp Beta is designed to support only Windows XP Home Edition and Professional with SP2. The required Macintosh-specific drivers provided by Apple are only intended for these releases."

howesey
Apr 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
The orginal and SP1 will work, however SP2 contains the drivers within it. That's all.

kainjow
Apr 5, 2006, 10:42 PM
The reason SP2 is required is Apple's drivers installer uses Intel's chipset installer, and its readme.txt states that it requires SP2. I think everything else would work fine with SP1 though (and most drivers do work fine in SP1, as I found out).

DISCOMUNICATION
Apr 5, 2006, 11:31 PM
The reason SP2 is required is Apple's drivers installer uses Intel's chipset installer, and its readme.txt states that it requires SP2. I think everything else would work fine with SP1 though (and most drivers do work fine in SP1, as I found out).
Let me see if I got this straight, You can install an old Service Pack 1 version of XP, but in order to get the drivers you want you have to upgrade to Service Pack 2. Am I correct? I have a Service Pack 1 version of XP Home edition and an upgrade disc for XP Pro Service Pack 2. Am I all set for BootCamp?

SilentPanda
Apr 5, 2006, 11:34 PM
Follow instructions here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

DISCOMUNICATION
Apr 5, 2006, 11:44 PM
I hate people like me who don't fallow the links. Thank you and sorry.

timhyland
Apr 21, 2006, 02:54 AM
So I take it I can do the boot camp thing with my Windows XP Professional SP1a disk, have it all installed, and then download the SP2 update and install it?

Tim

Gordy
Apr 21, 2006, 05:56 AM
So I take it I can do the boot camp thing with my Windows XP Professional SP1a disk, have it all installed, and then download the SP2 update and install it?

Tim

Just create a slipstream cd it takes 10mins and makes life much easier in the long run.

Glen Quagmire
Apr 21, 2006, 06:32 AM
Just create a slipstream cd it takes 10mins and makes life much easier in the long run.

It's worth it from a security point of view as well. SP2 improved security a great deal for XP. You will lessen your chances of getting stung by a virus/spyware/trojan if you go straight to SP2, which, if memory serves, increases the level of security whilst you're booting Windows compared to SP1 so you're less likely to get infected during that phase of XP startup.

I prefer slipstreaming as it gives you a clean installation to start off with, as opposed to messing around upgrading to SP2 once you've got Windows installed. Plus, it probably takes less time in the long run to slipstream once as it takes to repeatedly install XP and upgrade to SP2 when you reinstall.

Gordy
Apr 21, 2006, 07:31 AM
It's worth it from a security point of view as well. SP2 improved security a great deal for XP. You will lessen your chances of getting stung by a virus/spyware/trojan if you go straight to SP2, which, if memory serves, increases the level of security whilst you're booting Windows compared to SP1 so you're less likely to get infected during that phase of XP startup.

I prefer slipstreaming as it gives you a clean installation to start off with, as opposed to messing around upgrading to SP2 once you've got Windows installed. Plus, it probably takes less time in the long run to slipstream once as it takes to repeatedly install XP and upgrade to SP2 when you reinstall.

True sp2 takes an age to install.

I've one disc with sp2 and all updates uptil march on so I only have to download a few updates.

reh
Apr 21, 2006, 07:49 AM
You can also apply all the hotfixes (http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html) released after sp2 (and perform many tweaks) to your custom CD with nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/).

MacDense
Jul 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I am a student and I recently bought a discounted copy of Windows 7 (W7). However, it is an Upgrade-only version. I am wondering... can I just install Windows XP SP1, without using Slipstreaming, so I have a valid copy of Windows to begin the upgrade process to W7? I know a couple of users mentioned that their computer could not access the internet when they used SP1 instead of SP2. Would that be a major problem for the upgrade? Does the upgrade process even require internet?

EDIT:

Never mind, I just found a step-by-step install guide for the update and, as best as I can tell, it appears that, indeed, an internet connection is needed.

balamw
Jul 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
No Internet needed until you want to activate. :confused:

B