Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacinto45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Newegg.com has Windows XP Home for $87 and XP Pro for $140. Just go to the site and search for "windows xp oem."

Importantly, these are OEM versions. They're completely legal, full versions, but I don't a huge amount about this stuff and don't know for absolutely certain that they would work with Boot Camp. Can anyone confirm that they would?

It's my understanding that the only difference between these and the expensive retail version is the fancy packaging and the fact that the OEM version is for people building their own computers that don't have Windows. (Or, presumably, people with Macs that want Windows.)

suntzu

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
They should work. But from what I remember from the old days, you had be buy some kind of qualifying hardware to buy OEM Windows. Like a hard drive, motherboard, etc...

Things have probably changed though.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Being a PC builder, the OEM versions should have no major difference between the retail versions, except being cheaper. However, you might need to buy a "pc" component with the OEM copy of windows. Most of the time, Newegg.com adds a free piece of hardware with it (power cord, etc)

With the OEM verison, you get a Windows XP License sticker that you can stick on the bottom of your MacBook Pro ;) jk

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
imac9556 said:
With the OEM verison, you get a Windows XP License sticker that you can stick on the bottom of your MacBook Pro ;)

Or throw in the bin,

probab;y shouldn't do that incase you need to use the product code subsequent times.

Takumi

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
remember... students check with your school for discounts...
tomorrow before class i'll be picking up my XP Pro CD for a whopping $10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.