Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels released their Windows virtualization solution for the Intel Mac today. The product is called Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta and a free fully functional copy is available for download now.

Unlike Apple's Boot Camp solution, Parallels solution allows you to run Windows XP (and other Intel-based operating systems) from within Mac OS X. Rebooting or Dual Booting is not required. This allows users to maintain their daily environment while also being able to use any desired Windows applications. It is only available for the Intel Macs and should provide near-native performance.

Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta for Mac OS X is NOT simply a "dual-boot" solution; rather, it empowers users the ability to use Windows, Linux and any other operating system at the same time as Mac OS X, enabling users to enjoy the comfort of their Mac OS X desktop while still being able to use critical applications from other OSes.

Parallels appears to be taking advantage of the Intel Virtualization Technology which was included in the Intel Yonah processors that are now shipping in the Intel Macs.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
That's already better than a boot-solution...
At least you can keep the whole OsX in the background for all tasks !

A.

(First post !)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Are the video drivers sufficient for running a game? if not, can the Boot Camp drivers some how be used?

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
AMAZING!

Both Soultions are great!! Now, Boot camp offers native enviroment for gaming!!! And the Virtulization offers the ability to run windows within the Mac OS!!!

w000t

Steve Jobs, I never thought I would say it but thank you for opening up this opportunity. Now , I only have to buy 1 computer.... and its a Mac.!!!!

Macheath_Messer

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2003
Ringgold, GA
Cool! This is interesting. . .

Now this is interesting (at least for me). I would love to be able to run XP within a window for those 2 programs I need it for, instead of having to reboot. I haven't gotten the chance to look at this yet, but I wonder if it will include direct support for video cards (thus allowing the use of DirectX)?

Wow, some exciting times here the last couple days. :D

FWIW,

Mackie

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
yeah, i want to install xp for gaming purposes...which would run games better you think, boot camp or virtualization? im thinking boot camp...

Thanks

paulchen

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
oh no

Please tell me that it is impossible to use os x on a windows pc. If not, good night apple.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
great, thats more like it. no dual boot.

the only question is how viruses will behave under this system. maybe there is a simple and safe solution to this (aside of not using windows!)?

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Wow - seems we are experiencing a virtual tsunami of windows on mac these days... Gawd damn I'm curious to see some benchmarks soon. If this will open up for all the lovely 3d and other design apps (Ooh Rhino, app of my dreams) that has never been made for a mac I'm a happy guy... but it does demand that it works, more or less, at native speed as promised.

paulchen said:
Please tell me that it is impossible to use os x on a windows pc. If not, good night apple.

It is impossible to use os x on a windows pc.

A

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Hopefully the virtualization box keeps the beast fully contained, someone needs to compare this benchmark-wise with boot camp

originally posted by mcadam
It is impossible to use os x on a windows pc.
not quite, but it is not recommended and isn't fully functional (i.e. it is hacked to work)

hd78

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2006
Thank You (God or whoever) for bootcamp and this. PC hardware will be the best for the money if everything goes well in my opinion.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Sheesh, this is all happening so fast! I'd like to see performance of this virtualization scheme...how are graphics, and are all the device drivers included? Can you just use Apple's own driver set (which Boot Camp gives you)?

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Amazing...just hope for the people with Intel Mac's that the drivers from Boot Camp will work..:eek: :cool:

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
paulchen said:

It is impossible. It has been tried before, but you don't get a stable system. More crashes than Windows 3.1 :rolleyes: And: it's illegal.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
paulchen said:

Well, it is possible, but only a hardcore group of enthusiasts have actually done it, so it isn't supported in any way. And forget your average PC user doing that install. Also, the hacked version of OS X is both illegal and often a couple steps behind the current Apple release.

paulchen

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
yes!!

Now I'm asking me: Should I install this or Boot camp to chat with my friends in Msn with a cam. (I install my old webcam)
But even my girlfriend who has an windows pc told me: are you fool?? Why would you like to install windows? :)

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Wow... I am beside myself.... Somebody pinch me...

I don't know what to say regarding the last 2 days....

Dual booting supported and today virtualization...:eek:

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
mark88 said:
Can someone please hurry up and try it out?
Amen to that!!

I want to know if you can run Half-Life 2 with this program, because if you can...

I shall be buying me an intel mac this summer!!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Electro Funk said:
Wow... I am beside myself.... Somebody pinch me...

I don't know what to say regarding the last 2 days....

Dual booting supported and today virtualization...:eek:

And tomorrow...the world!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

paulchen

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
Mac intel

The Imac is the best computer I've erver bought!!!!! What a chance!! Thank you apple. But don't forget to make publicity for your computers

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
WOW!!

way too much for me to process at the moment. i will have to look into this at work tomorrow :p . it seems that it is a great time to be a Mac user. This is obviously a prelude to Leopard. Are there any patents on this concept?? Will Apple have to pay this company to use its technology in their new OS??

uncertain times are ahead...

:confused: :confused: aussie_geek:confused: :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.