Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeOptimist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Texas, USA, Sol III
Hey all,

I have an old LC with a 40MB hard drive (System 7 installed). It still works, but one pin broke off of the SCSI connector on the motherboard, so it refuses to boot from the hard drive now. :(

Anyhow, I've been playing around with Basilisk II and was wondering how I could "migrate" the LC hard drive data into a Basilisk II VM. I figure I have to obtain some type of SCSI card (might have one already), but what do I do from there? I have a feeling Windows won't like an HFS-formatted drive, so how can I "dump" an image of it that Basilisk II can read?

Any ideas? :)

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Got a functional Mac?

Basilisk II (Windows version or otherwise) will read a Disk Image (.img not .dmg) just fine. Don't even need to change the extension, although under Windows you may need to switch the "navigate to hard disk image" filter from the default to "Show All Files" to have it show up.

Therefore, just mount your old LC hard drive on any Mac running anything betwixt System 7 and MacOS 9 and then make a disk image of it.

You ARE aware that you'll still also need a Macintosh ROM, yes?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
If you really wanted to, you could send the LC II to me, and id take your data and put it on a CD for you... (ofcorse you'd have to pay for shipping though)

CodeOptimist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Texas, USA, Sol III
ahunter3 said:
Got a functional Mac?

Basilisk II (Windows version or otherwise) will read a Disk Image (.img not .dmg) just fine. Don't even need to change the extension, although under Windows you may need to switch the "navigate to hard disk image" filter from the default to "Show All Files" to have it show up.

Therefore, just mount your old LC hard drive on any Mac running anything betwixt System 7 and MacOS 9 and then make a disk image of it.

You ARE aware that you'll still also need a Macintosh ROM, yes?

I do have a functional Mac - someone recently gave me a beige G3 running OS9. I looked under the hood and the hard drive looks to be connected with IDE. I plugged the LC hard drive into the SCSI port, but the G3 tried to boot of it instead of the IDE drive. I couldn't find a way to force it to boot into OS9 with the LC drive plugged in... any ideas?

I've already got the ROM from the LC (booting from a boot diskette), so I'm set there.

@macEfan: Thanks for the offer. I'd like to see if I can get it working here first before I try to ship the hard drive through the mailing system :)

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
You cant boot of the LC II hard drive, because it is running a too low of system software.... The powermac g3 needs OS 8.1 minumum... You should still be able to copy your software onto the g3 , even by booting in the g3's OS....

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
CodeOptimist said:
I do have a functional Mac - someone recently gave me a beige G3 running OS9. I looked under the hood and the hard drive looks to be connected with IDE. I plugged the LC hard drive into the SCSI port, but the G3 tried to boot of it instead of the IDE drive. I couldn't find a way to force it to boot into OS9 with the LC drive plugged in... any ideas?

I've already got the ROM from the LC (booting from a boot diskette), so I'm set there.

@macEfan: Thanks for the offer. I'd like to see if I can get it working here first before I try to ship the hard drive through the mailing system :)

Try holding down the Command, Option, Delete, and Shift key simultaneously while you try to boot. That key combo is low-level Apple-language for "please bypass what you regard as the default volume and boot from any other volume you can find".

Alternatively, find a bootable CDROM, stick it in the tray, and hold down "C" and boot from that. Once booted, use the Startup Disk Control Panel to specify that on next boot it should boot from the regular internal ATA drive. OR, while booted from CD, simply open the LC hard drive's System Folder and drag the Finder out onto the desktop. On next boot the Mac will no longer see the external SCSI HD as having a blessed System Folder and will find the ATA drive and boot from it instead.

EDIT: OR, if your external hard drive case (I'm assuming you've got the LC drive in an external SCSI hard drive case? How else would it be connected to the external SCSI port?)...has a plain-old on-off power switch, turn it off, boot, then turn it on. Or unplug it from the wall, boot, plug it in. You can't hot-plug the SCSI cable of a SCSI device but you can hot-plug the power to it w/o problems.

CodeOptimist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Texas, USA, Sol III
@macEfan: That's the problem -- the G3 keeps trying to boot of the LC drive, but obviously can't run System 7. I can't figure out how to get it to bypass the LC drive (internal SCSI interface) and boot off the OS9 drive (internal IDE interface).

@ahunter3: I'll try the key combo you suggested and let you know what happens. Unfortunately I don't have a boot CD (the computer was given to me without the original OS disks). I suppose I could grab a copy of OS9 off of eBay for the sake of legality.
(The LC drive is an internal SCSI drive, not an external one -- sorry, I should have specified. I opened up the LC and took the drive out, then plugged it into the SCSI controller on the G3 motherboard.)

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
CodeOptimist said:
(The LC drive is an internal SCSI drive, not an external one -- sorry, I should have specified. I opened up the LC and took the drive out, then plugged it into the SCSI controller on the G3 motherboard.)

Well, it's somewhat more awkward (you have to boot up with the lid off the beige G3 and plug in the ribbon cable without discharging any static electricity to the wrong things), but if you're cautious you can start up with the internal SCSI plugged into the LC HD but the four-pin power cable NOT plugged in, so the LC HC won't spin up; boot, with one hand on a solid metal part of the G3's internal case structure so as to make sure there's no spark to fly to sensitive parts; then push in the power plug, which should spin up and mount the LC's HD.

Obviously try the Cmd-Option-Delete-Shift key combo trick first, but fall back on this if that doesn't work.

CodeOptimist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Texas, USA, Sol III
Alright, I tried Cmd-Option-Shift-Delete, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Hot-plugging the SCSI drive worked, though -- thanks for the idea. I was able to get the whole 40MB (gasp) image created and copied over to the Windows machine running Basilisk II.

Now I'm running into a completely different problem: System 7 (inside Basilisk) doesn't want to boot off of the disk image I created. I keep getting an error saying that the machine is not compatible with System 7.0 and I need to update the system software.

I have Basilisk set up correctly and it's running fine with System 7.5.3 (downloaded from Apple's website). I just can't seem to get it to boot from a disk that has System 7.0 installed. I messed with a few "machine ID" settings (Quadra 900, LC II, etc) but I got the same error message.

So, my question is now: how do I set up Basilisk to emulate a Mac LC (this one)?

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Basilisk should definitely boot System 7. I think the oldest I've thrown at it was 7.0.1 (original 7 was buggy beyond belief).

Are you sure you got the ROM from the LC? Some later ROMS (Quadra ROMs) won't boot System 7.0 or 7.0.1 and will require you to have 7.1 or beyond.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.