Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjuddeffect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Osaka, Japan
Just want to see if I am the only one experiencing this problem or not, but the wireless driver initially gets read but ultimately does not work.

Everything else is working fine though.

Also, how many Exlclamation Warnings are showing up on the device driver list.

My computer is currently showing 2 unknown devices, 1 PCI device, 1 USB device, 1 USB Human Interface, and the Atheros AR5006X wireless driver.

Is there any way to individually download the Atheros driver or not?
Thanks for the help.

benjuddeffect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Osaka, Japan
Do you by chance have a Japanese Macbook Pro?

Just curious... Since that is the only difference between what I have and what others have.

Since Boot Camp is really only downloadble at from the US site and is listed nowhere on the Japanese Apple site it could be said that perhaps the Boot Camp drivers are not compatible...

raywang

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2006
It sounds reasonable. I bought the Mac Mini from Korea. So maybe it has problem with the Asian version?

BTW, have you updated the firmware to 1.0.0 released by 04/05 2006. I updated it. I wonder how if I had not updated the firmware.

BTW, I don't have a Japanese Macbook. I'm working on a Mac Mini.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I can't get the wireless adapter to connect to my network either. Anyone have a fix for this or a reason it doesn't connect?

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
My wireless adapter wont even show up on the list!
what's going on?
any fixes...

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Khurram said:
My wireless adapter wont even show up on the list!
what's going on?
any fixes...

not really. ALL the info i've seen says you CAN'T use usb wireless sticks w/ mac EXCEPT one. its afterthemac. OWC.com sells them. i got my video card from them, i'ma order the usb stick they have and overnight it. if it showed up in system hardware at least its bein recognized and just needs drivers which are POSSIBLY available from sites like orangeware.

But, i did find once piece of info that looked good, but bein a mac newby i don't know what ta do with it:

The Netgear WG111 v2 USB card, contains a Realtek chipset. The card works with linux, but you need a 2.6.x kernel! Before you can use this card, you need to disable the IEEE80211 framework that comes wit the kernel. the driver comes with an own IEEE80211 Framework that is not compatible with the one in the kernel.
Take care to load the modules in the correct order, otherwise the card won't work:
ieee80211_crypt_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_wep_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_tkip_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_ccmp_rtl
ieee80211_rtl
r8187

does that mean anything to anyone?

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Toby Goodbar said:
not really. ALL the info i've seen says you CAN'T use usb wireless sticks w/ mac EXCEPT one. its afterthemac. OWC.com sells them. i got my video card from them, i'ma order the usb stick they have and overnight it. if it showed up in system hardware at least its bein recognized and just needs drivers which are POSSIBLY available from sites like orangeware.

But, i did find once piece of info that looked good, but bein a mac newby i don't know what ta do with it:

The Netgear WG111 v2 USB card, contains a Realtek chipset. The card works with linux, but you need a 2.6.x kernel! Before you can use this card, you need to disable the IEEE80211 framework that comes wit the kernel. the driver comes with an own IEEE80211 Framework that is not compatible with the one in the kernel.
Take care to load the modules in the correct order, otherwise the card won't work:
ieee80211_crypt_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_wep_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_tkip_rtl
ieee80211_crypt_ccmp_rtl
ieee80211_rtl
r8187

does that mean anything to anyone?
I'm not using a usb wifi adapter...i'm trying to use the built in wifi in the macbook! in the device manager there is a "!" next to about 7 unknown devices including the ethernet adapter...i'm so lost as to how to go about fixing it.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I had this problem as well - installing the first set of drivers Apple released didn't work. Then when Apple released updated drivers I installed those, then also reinstalled the original drivers and everything worked.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Mackilroy said:
I had this problem as well - installing the first set of drivers Apple released didn't work. Then when Apple released updated drivers I installed those, then also reinstalled the original drivers and everything worked.

I think I have installed the updated drivers because I just downloaded bootcamp two days ago as well as the drivers..

where can I get the original drivers? anyone know? i've heard the original drivers will work for the ethernet and stuff thats' not working.

gongoozler

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2006
Afterthemac on OS 10.4.7

Toby Goodbar said:
not really. ALL the info i've seen says you CAN'T use usb wireless sticks w/ mac EXCEPT one. its afterthemac. (...)

Does anyone know if Afterthemac wireless stick works with v. 10.4.7?
G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.