PDA

View Full Version : Mac Powerbook Pro vs. Alienware Laptop

Launlori
Apr 6, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to decide what laptop I want to buy. Mac Powerbook Pro is supposed to be just as fast as the Alienware laptop but it doesn't have a 17" screen that I would want to have. I have priced them both out and the Alienware laptop is in the same price range as the Powerbook Pro with all the things I need on it. I've read the frame rate is better on the Alienware .. Is this true? I think the 17" screen is holding me back from buying a Powerbook Pro .. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of how fast the two are in comparison? I'm a gamer and also use video editing software so I need a fast machine.

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 6, 2006, 12:00 PM
I'm trying to decide what laptop I want to buy. Mac Powerbook Pro is supposed to be just as fast as the Alienware laptop but it doesn't have a 17" screen that I would want to have. I have priced them both out and the Alienware laptop is in the same price range as the Powerbook Pro with all the things I need on it. I've read the frame rate is better on the Alienware .. Is this true? I think the 17" screen is holding me back from buying a Powerbook Pro .. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of how fast the two are in comparison? I'm a gamer and also use video editing software so I need a fast machine.

It all depends on what programs you use. Apple is in the process of porting its own software, including Final Cut Pro (a great editing program) to Universal Binary, which means soon they will all be running at native speeds on the Intel Macs.

I assume you've heard the news of Apple releasing Boot Camp, which allows you to install Windows on any Intel Mac?
You can find graphics benchmarks online if you look for them, i'm not a serious gamer but i've read that they are pretty impressive running Windows games on the Intel Macs.

The MacBook Pro had some issues to begin with, but they are being ironed out.

It's all down to what programs you use really, and the fact that you might only have 15" screen if you choose the MacBook. If you were well into editing, you'd hook up another screen anyway.

Rich.

stonyc
Apr 6, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm a gamer and also use video editing software so I need a fast machine.If gaming is going to be critical to your next lappy, even though Apple has released bootcamp, it really comes down to how comfortable you are with beta software for now. Unless you're going to spend money on an external display for the MBP, there's really no comparison right now... if built-in display size is also a significant factor in your decision.

Also, it might be helpful to include what sort of hardware (ie. vidcard) comes with the Alienware comp.

Launlori
Apr 6, 2006, 12:09 PM
I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, SoftImage 3D, Adobe Premiere .. and I play online MMORPG games such as World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2 .. which are huge machine hogs.

Chaszmyr
Apr 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
I'd say go with the MacBook, and use Boot Camp for now to run the Windows software you need, but try to acclimate yourself to Mac software. For example, Premiere is a good program and for now it is Windows only (though it has recently been reported that Adobe has plans to bring it back to Mac), but with a Mac you have the option of using Final Cut Pro

If your main concern is performance, don't worry about it. The MacBook Pro is an exceptionally performing machine. For home use, I might suggest you use a 2nd monitor. Depending on how patient you are, you might also want to wait until the 17'' MacBook Pro comes out.

Launlori
Apr 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra w/ 256MB DDR3 .. is the video card that comes in the Alienware .. I've read that Mac is coming out with a Powerbook Pro that has a 17" screen later this year .. If I do decide to go with the Mac I will have to wait for that screen. That's very important to me being a gamer.

yg17
Apr 6, 2006, 12:20 PM
I've seen a couple Alienware laptops in person. They're about as thick as 2 of my Powerbooks stacked on top of each other. Plus, battery life on them, from what I hear, is under an hour. I'd gladly give up the 17" for a laptop that is actually portable

Chaszmyr
Apr 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra w/ 256MB DDR3 .. is the video card that comes in the Alienware .. I've read that Mac is coming out with a Powerbook Pro that has a 17" screen later this year .. If I do decide to go with the Mac I will have to wait for that screen. That's very important to me being a gamer.

Apple already has a 17'' PowerBook, they just don't yet have a 17'' MacBook Pro. It will be out some time this year (hopefully but not certainly sooner rather than later), wait for it if you are set on 17''.

crazycat
Apr 6, 2006, 12:23 PM
I would recommend you get the 17" Macbook Pro when it comes out, it will be faster, better looking then anything alienware can come up with.

galstaph
Apr 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
I'd go for macbook pro, osx is and final cut will blow you away:D
even iMovie isn't half bad:)

play winxp for games... boot camp will get better drivers with revisions

XP Defector
Apr 6, 2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone got any links to FPS on the MacBook Pro? I've always heard Macs are notoriously slow when it comes to graphically demanding games. I for one am curious to find out, considering I'm very close to buying a new machine and feel its time to switch to the MacBook Pro - but I'd feel cheated if my 2k machine couldn't handle Elderscrolls: Oblivion, even though I know its going to run Ableton + Logic like a dream.

spencecb
Apr 6, 2006, 01:11 PM
I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, SoftImage 3D, Adobe Premiere .. and I play online MMORPG games such as World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2 .. which are huge machine hogs.

Please, get over the fact that it is called a MacBook Pro, and no longer called a PowerBook.

gman71882
Apr 6, 2006, 01:54 PM
The Size of the display isnt always as important as the resolution is.
Macbook pro resolution is 1440 x 900 @ 15.4 inches.

The 15" display may have the same resolution as the Alienware Laptop @ 17 inches so you would have the exact same amount of screen real estate being show, although it would be in a slightly smaller space.

crees!
Apr 6, 2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone got any links to FPS on the MacBook Pro? I've always heard Macs are notoriously slow when it comes to graphically demanding games. I for one am curious to find out, considering I'm very close to buying a new machine and feel its time to switch to the MacBook Pro - but I'd feel cheated if my 2k machine couldn't handle Elderscrolls: Oblivion, even though I know its going to run Ableton + Logic like a dream.

Notoriously slow?

CS:Source
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/files/mbp-css-stress.avi
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/files/mbp-css-play.avi
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/files/mbp-css-dell.avi

BF2:
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/files/mbp-bf2.avi
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/files/mbp-bf2b.avi

Of course this is running Windows on a MacBook Pro.

macpastor
Apr 6, 2006, 02:15 PM
I am biased... I would stick with Mac. However, I was unhappy with my 3 faulty MacBook Pros, so I would at least wait until quality issues are under control.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 6, 2006, 02:16 PM
I would go with the MacBook Pro for a couple reasons:

1. Build quality is equal or better than the Alienware.

2. Mobility (size/battery life) is better.

3. It can now dual boot Windows/OS X.

Badandy
Apr 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
By the way, its "Macbook Pro" not a "Mac Powerbook Pro" :)

BlizzardBomb
Apr 6, 2006, 02:31 PM
Go for the MBP. When Leopard comes out, get it and enjoy the proper version of Boot Camp. :)

TheMasin9
Apr 6, 2006, 02:45 PM
i was originally rebellious against the name change from powerbook to macbook. But i have since grown to almost embrace the name, cuz now we get to say MACbook and sport our favorite brand.

plinden
Apr 6, 2006, 02:51 PM
What are the specs of the alienware laptop? I don't see that alienware offers any dual cores. That doesn't make a huge bit of difference if you're just gaming, but it's remarkable the difference it make when you're working with video or audio, or even just programming.