PDA

View Full Version : Help! my powerbook G4 keeps crashing

marklight
Apr 6, 2006, 12:48 PM
I have an older powerbook G4, 867 mhz computer. And I just got in some new ram (the culprit) - it's a stick of 512 mb pc2700 ram- i ordered 2100 so they screwed it up, but anyways, it is causing my powerbook to crash every so often,especially when i run programs like iphoto. Is there a way to lower the speed of the ram, or a way to make my mac more stable?
marklight is online now -> Edit/Delete Message

bartelby
Apr 6, 2006, 01:04 PM
Have you thought of sending it back and getting it exchanged?

marklight
Apr 6, 2006, 01:07 PM
of course, I've already sent them an email about it, but if I dont have to then I don't want to you know? Plus their site said that even pc 2700 ram was compatible, so I'm just wondering if they have that wrong, or if it should be compatible

yellow
Apr 6, 2006, 01:09 PM
There isn't anything you can do to the RAM, short of having it replaced (or removing it), to alleviate your problem.

I've found that PowerBooks are notoriously picky about their RAM, and RAM that is "supposed" to work, quite often does not.

For example, I had to bring my PB into a place 3 times and show the them kernel panics until they finally beleived me that they had to order the exactly correct RAM.

macpastor
Apr 6, 2006, 02:20 PM
I know also that the PowerBooks are picky with the RAM. I don't think there is any way around swapping it to fix the issue.