Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
An alternative is to use the PC to slipstream SP2 into your existing Windows XP installation CD. But since you cannot burn the slipstreamed CD, just make a disk image on the PC using WinISO or ISOBuster to save the ISO disk image.

Transfer the disk image to a Mac with a CDR and burn the disk that way.

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
asherman13 said:
Hey everybody, as far as I know nobody's posted a thread about this particular stuff; there've only been a few fairly unanswered questions in a couple of threads.

At my house, we only have Macs, save one PC that my dad uses for some work stuff. It runs Windows XP, and currently has SP2 installed. We have the XP (original) disc; SP2 was a download-and-install. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't have a CD burner (I know, I know). Our XP disc is legal, and we have the product key for it.

I've basically figured out that I can install XP SP2 on my computer by doing one of these two things:

1. Somebody else creates a slipstreamed disc image of XP SP2 and sends it to me (all my friends are Mac users; this is one of the few times when I regret that) that I will burn on my MBP via Toast.

2. I make my own slipstreamed disc image by using the XP (original) disc and the SP2 download.

The only PPC Mac in our house is my brother's that his school gave him; he doesn't have admin so I can't download/install VPC. Due to all of these, I would need to either obtain a disc image of XP SP2 (and use our own serial number) or make the disc myself on an Intel Mac. Onmac.net gives some instructions for the latter, but they're amazingly complicated for me, and that's only to slipstream the XP SP2 disc for the XOM solution to booting XP; I need to slipstream the SP2 stuff into the XP (original) stuff.

Can anybody help me with this? I can't wait to pwn my cousins on CS:S. :)

since you have a macbook bro, make the slipstream cd on the pc and then hookup a ethernet cable between the pc and macbook and just transfer the image.. that should work

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
asherman13 said:
:confused: Tried it; the CD drive won't open. :mad: I hate PC's.

If the CD drive on the PC is dead then you can always make an image of the Windows installer CD on a Mac. Transfer the CD image to the PC. Open the CD image on the PC using WinISO and copy all the files off the CD image.

At this point you just need to follow the instructions for slipstreaming SP2 into your installer and then build a CD image from the slipstreamed directory. Copy the new CD image to a mac with a working CD burner and burn the image to a CD (ensuring that you are burning the image to the CD as an image rather than as a file).

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
mrichmon said:
If the CD drive on the PC is dead then you can always make an image of the Windows installer CD on a Mac. Transfer the CD image to the PC. Open the CD image on the PC using WinISO and copy all the files off the CD image.

At this point you just need to follow the instructions for slipstreaming SP2 into your installer and then build a CD image from the slipstreamed directory. Copy the new CD image to a mac with a working CD burner and burn the image to a CD (ensuring that you are burning the image to the CD as an image rather than as a file).

Alright; thanks.

Can Disk Utility burn a .iso?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
asherman13 said:
Could tell me how? I've only burned a disk image once, and that was a good 2 or 3 years ago...

1. Open Disk Utitily.
  2. Select menu Images->Burn...
  3. Select .iso file
  4. Click "Burn"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.